Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/12/2007, 05:41 AM
I'm smooth and creamy.

I could be wrong, but I always thought that mandarin rarely, if ever, got ick because of the lack of scales.

( or something like that -- lack of sleep is making my mind not work too well right now )
Old 08/12/2007, 07:45 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Toddrtrex
I could be wrong, but I always thought that mandarin rarely, if ever, got ick because of the lack of scales.

( or something like that -- lack of sleep is making my mind not work too well right now )
I believe it's because they have a "slimey" coat or skin that helps defend against parasites. Sorry about the mandy, Marc. It sure is beautiful. Hope it turns around for you. Those blisters are strange.

Great pics. I love the pocillopora. Where do you have those corals in your tank (light and flow)?
Old 08/12/2007, 05:05 PM
TRC Leader

Those are up higher in the reef, above the bubble tip anemones and to the left of the Toadstool leather. They are definitely feeling flow from the VorTech on the right, and are under a 250w 10,000K MH.
Old 08/12/2007, 10:18 PM
They Found Nemo

looks much cleaner now. its like now you see it now you dont
Old 08/13/2007, 12:38 AM
Premium Member

Marc, sorry to hear about the Mandarin... Those are some cool looking little guys. Your Vortechs look nice and they are really small. What is total turnover like? 40x?

salinity: 1.025
ammo: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 10
ph :8.0-8.3
alk: 4
calcium: 450-500

(knock on wood...)
Old 08/13/2007, 06:54 AM
R I P we miss you...

I go to Florida for a weeks vacationa nd come back to 5 new pages!!! Too much for an early Monday morning!

Western Ohio Reef Club

Click the red house for my 125 progress!
Old 08/13/2007, 11:25 AM

I go to sleep for a few hours, wake up, and have 50 threads to look at!
Old 08/13/2007, 12:32 PM
g0t fIsH

yeah you know where most of them came from?
(red house for 600gal)
Old 08/14/2007, 01:06 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by ghstrider
Marc, sorry to hear about the Mandarin... Those are some cool looking little guys. Your Vortechs look nice and they are really small. What is total turnover like? 40x?
Since I don't run them on high, I would think the turnover is 34x per hour. (3 x 2200gph est. + 3000gph return pump) If everything was full-tilt and I accepted that the return pump moves 3400gph at 5', turnover would be 50x per hour. Maybe once the controller comes out I can have each VorTech puff at full speed for a couple of seconds randomly, thus increasing the turnover briefly and causing a little chaotic flow.

Sorry I couldn't reply sooner, but last night I had an incapacitating migraine. It was so bad I decided to call my son to come over just in case... his presence was helpful as we both tried to figure out what to do. He brought in some empty buckets and scattered them in the rooms I was moving back and forth in as I felt nauseous throughout the evening. Light hurt my eyes & head, so for the most part we sat in darkness. When I was in the livingroom just trying to keep myself breathing steadily, he used his cellphone to light up the stove to see while he heated me some soup. He's a good kid.

I think this is the second one I've had in a year, and it came on unexpectedly. I had a decent headache by 6pm and took some Ibuprofen but it just got worse and worse - all I wanted to do was slam back more pills but didn't.
Old 08/14/2007, 01:36 PM
Master of Funk

Kid: Maybe its a tumor.
Arnold: Its not a tumah!
Old 08/14/2007, 01:53 PM

sounds like a stroke to me. I had a small one that I thought was a migraine before the big one hit. Didn't find out about it until after I was in the hospital for the big one and they could tell there had been some older bleeding.

Don't take ANY psuedoephedrine products or any kind of blood thinning medication like aspirin until you get checked out.
Old 08/14/2007, 01:58 PM
No Bonds in Oakland!!!!!!

i hate those. sound like you have a very understanding son. good luck
Old 08/14/2007, 02:16 PM
TRC Leader

Geeze, thanks Jonathan! Since I didn't lose consciousness, I'm going to go with the belief that it was an official migraine and nothing worse.
Old 08/14/2007, 02:40 PM
Team RC Member

Glad you're on the mend, Marc. Illnesses are counterproductive to reefing!

And don't worry, it's not a tumor or a stroke, but it might be a parasitic infection .
Old 08/14/2007, 02:53 PM
TRC Leader

I think I'm going to make a Zoanthid Shake to help cool off. It's hot outside today.
Old 08/14/2007, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Geeze, thanks Jonathan! Since I didn't lose consciousness, I'm going to go with the belief that it was an official migraine and nothing worse.
Hey man, I am NOT kidding. I didn't lose consciousness during my first stroke either. I just kept trying to solve the problem with OTC pain meds. The second stroke made me feel quite nausious, so much so that for a little while I couldn't even walk to the bathroom.

It just felt like a really bad migraine. I laid down for while and felt better, then went back to work. I was on the phone with my Mom and a long-time customer came into the store and he told me I didn't look good. I told him I didn't feel good. He took the phone and called 911.

While all this was going on, I appeared to be totally aware, but I really wasn't. I was telling the Cops to lock up the store and get the keys to my wife, who was on her way. Then at the hospital, the initial diagnosis was that I was dehydrated. I even signed myself in, filled out paperwork, and discussed store issues with my wife.

Then there was a moment of awareness as I was being lifted into the helicopter. I guess because it was so loud. I can only remember little snipets of the whole day though.

Anyway...I never lost control of a side of my body, never slurred my words or lost the ability to communicate during most of the process, and it took 5 days for the doctors to finally give us the conclusion that I had a massive hemorage due to the use of psuedoephedrine in a prescribed sinus medication.

The pictures of my brain show about a 1/3 size dent in it. So, anyway, I encourage you not to self diagnose migraine pain, as I nearly died from what I thought was a migraine. Stay hydrated and be VERY careful about the medication you use. So much of what is sold in stores is actually quite dangerous.
Old 08/14/2007, 03:13 PM
TRC Leader

Thanks for the details Jonathan. I don't take much of anything unless I need to. I don't have sinus issues to contend with, and drink fluids all day long.

My dad told me long ago: Do not grow old. It sucks.

And yet again, I disobey him daily.
Old 08/14/2007, 03:18 PM
Carpe Noctem

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Thanks for the details Jonathan. I don't take much of anything unless I need to. I don't have sinus issues to contend with, and drink fluids all day long.

My dad told me long ago: Do not grow old. It sucks.

And yet again, I disobey him daily.
More good advice that we never listen to

I get migranes with certain smells. That is why the wife has to clear the stupid smelly candles before they come in house
Old 08/14/2007, 03:18 PM
Carpe Noctem

Just trying to up my post count by hitting the button over and over again
Old 08/14/2007, 03:56 PM

yeah, I complained to one of my docs about having my eyesight shifting since the stroke and she told me straight up, you just turned 40, it's not from the stroke!
Old 08/14/2007, 05:08 PM
Registered Member

Wow! It seems your busy as ever on here. Long time - no post... Glad to see things are going well (for the most part) for you and your 'new' tank. Ironically things are only mildly warmer here by about 4 deg above normal. Feeling for the rest of the country in the heat though. I was once in Mass. in the summer and drove 45 min to get a box fan because the humidity was so thick. Ughh... Love the dry heat of Nor Cal.

Now as for the recent migrane episode - much like you I'll only visit the doctor when something bother's me to the point I can't do what I want anymore. But maybe these guys have a point. Oh yeah, the other reason I hesitate to see a doctor - and I do have insurance - but I simply can't afford it. Mostly because I pay more for health care insurance than I do for my cars! Funny isn't it?

No but seriously if you can - my vote is to get it checked out - if you can sacrifice your reef budget for a while???? (What, did I just say that outloud?)

Take care
Old 08/14/2007, 05:27 PM
No Bonds in Oakland!!!!!!

i have only had one bad migrane, it actually gave me something numbness throughout my body. but not all at the same time.
first my hand would go numb then it would travel up my arm across my chest then out the other arm. then up a leg and so forth. for a few hours. the strange thing was that while this was happening i didn't have a headache.
once the numbness got to my head i was sluring my speech real bad. my wife and i got to the emergency room about that time so they took me right in and gave me an MRI, or maybe a cat scan. either way it just turned out to be a very bad migrane.

not fun at all.
Old 08/14/2007, 06:19 PM
Will work 4 corals

I get migraines from time to time but mine start in my upper teeth. I need to get my wisdom teeth removed. I have never had them so bad that I felt nauseous but light and sound bother me. They suck! I am glad you are feeling better!

So shoot me!
Old 08/14/2007, 06:25 PM
Carpe Noctem

ROFL! I bunch of men talking about headaches This is a discussion question for my wife
Old 08/14/2007, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lordhelmet
i have only had one bad migrane, it actually gave me something numbness throughout my body. but not all at the same time.
first my hand would go numb then it would travel up my arm across my chest then out the other arm. then up a leg and so forth. for a few hours. the strange thing was that while this was happening i didn't have a headache.
once the numbness got to my head i was sluring my speech real bad. my wife and i got to the emergency room about that time so they took me right in and gave me an MRI, or maybe a cat scan. either way it just turned out to be a very bad migrane.

not fun at all.
That would have me freaked out. I never got headaches until my stroke. Never. Now when I get a headache in that part of my head, I get pretty scared.

Sounds like sinus pain Gabriel.