Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/13/2007, 02:25 AM
Full Time Tank Slave

I wish the price was as low as people are thinking. For the undesirable pieces maybe? But you still have to pay for shipping. I got one box of crappy frags from Australia that had 20 pieces and it cost me $1980 and the pieces were crap compared to the stuff I apy top dollar for. The price will go down for the retailers who are freaking on the coin they had to spend to get them. So in desperation they start liquidating. The more seasoned collectors/retailers will just sit on them until they get what they think they are worth. If and when Aussie shuts down the exportation the price will eventually go up again. Just my .02
Old 07/13/2007, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

The only one that I think might be a faviid, but I cant tell details in the picture was the 3rd on down on the right on your second post, it looks too smooth to me, but it just might be the picture... either way its still a beautiful piece!
Old 07/13/2007, 03:46 PM
Registered Member.

That 3rd one is an Acan. They sometimes suck in like that when the lights first come on or they are expelling waste.
Old 07/13/2007, 04:47 PM
Registered Member

ejocam put em in your tank maybe lighting will colour them up a little more then you'd be laughing...hope for the best
Old 07/13/2007, 04:48 PM
Registered Member.

Yeah sometimes you'll be surprised as how the color morphs will change.
Old 07/14/2007, 02:07 AM
Full Time Tank Slave

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyler.L
ejocam put em in your tank maybe lighting will colour them up a little more then you'd be laughing...hope for the best
Since my tank is limited on real estate, I can only afford to park exotic species/morphs in the spaces available
Old 07/14/2007, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

My aussie acans are having babies!

These polyps have been in my tank for about 4 weeks or so now and I just started seeing the new polyps over the last week or so.
I have them at the bottom of my 24" deep tank with 250watt 14K pheonix bulbs in an area of med flow. I don't generally target feed, but I do feed coral frenzy, artic pods and rod's food on the occasion.
Old 07/14/2007, 11:43 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ejocam
I wish the price was as low as people are thinking. For the undesirable pieces maybe? But you still have to pay for shipping. I got one box of crappy frags from Australia that had 20 pieces and it cost me $1980 and the pieces were crap compared to the stuff I apy top dollar for. The price will go down for the retailers who are freaking on the coin they had to spend to get them. So in desperation they start liquidating. The more seasoned collectors/retailers will just sit on them until they get what they think they are worth. If and when Aussie shuts down the exportation the price will eventually go up again. Just my .02
That doesn't seem like a bad price for the acan's $100 a colony. Have you tried different exporters out of Australia? even with the first batch of lords I seen coming out of Canada from the "best grade" supplier some of them looked like crap while others where very colorful.

I guess it is a gamble for the retailers who are selling them at a high mark up hoping that they shut down exportation quickly; if these corals start showing up at every local fish store around the country it will make it very difficult to sell them by the polyp when you can buy a colony for about the same price as you can buy a couple of polyps for.
Old 07/14/2007, 11:57 AM
Full Time Tank Slave

Quote:
That doesn't seem like a bad price for the acan's $100 a colony. Have you tried different exporters out of Australia? even with the first batch of lords I seen coming out of Canada from the "best grade" supplier some of them looked like crap while others where very colorful.

I guess it is a gamble for the retailers who are selling them at a high mark up hoping that they shut down exportation quickly; if these corals start showing up at every local fish store around the country it will make it very difficult to sell them by the polyp when you can buy a colony for about the same price as you can buy a couple of polyps for.
There were pieces in the $100-$150 price (before shipping and other charges FOB Origin Australia) but they were literally frags most were 1"-2.5" with 6-10 tiny polyps at most and there were a few larger colonies that I wouldn't even pay $5 for wholesale. For me it was brutal. Like I mentioned before I'd rather spend 5-7 times more if it was a lot nicer.
Old 07/15/2007, 09:47 AM
Hey sweetheart ;)

Chads29 - please post/link some photos of the the "crap" looking acans that came in with the first shipment you speak of. Without some pics, I will go out on a limb and say you don't know what you are talking about.

The first and second shipments were aruguable the best acan shippments Canada has ever seen (and maybe even the US). Then again these are just my observations having seen every aussie acan that has come in through Toronto to date. There are some B grade coals now being shipped from Australia, but they in no way command the prices of the A grade, and premium A grade corals.

Quote:
Originally posted by Chads29
2 Ampmaster 3000's (R&CL)
MTC HSA 1000 Skimmer on a PCX 100
MTC Procal Calcium Reactor

SPS dominated reef
Old 07/15/2007, 10:04 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ejocam
There were pieces in the $100-$150 price (before shipping and other charges FOB Origin Australia) but they were literally frags most were 1"-2.5" with 6-10 tiny polyps at most and there were a few larger colonies that I wouldn't even pay $5 for wholesale. For me it was brutal. Like I mentioned before I'd rather spend 5-7 times more if it was a lot nicer.
I have not seen every acan that has come into this country but I have seen some acan's that where not as "choice" or as colorful being sold as Aussie acan's on a couple of websites. I am not going to take pictures from those website nor am I going to name the websites I was referring about but I am sure others have seen them also as you can see by the quote I am not the only person who has had this observation.
Old 07/15/2007, 11:30 AM
Hey sweetheart ;)

Then we have established that some Aussie acans are nicer than others??? If so - well done.

Quote:
Originally posted by Chads29
I have not seen every acan that has come into this country but I have seen some acan's that where not as "choice" or as colorful being sold as Aussie acan's on a couple of websites. I am not going to take pictures from those website nor am I going to name the websites I was referring about but I am sure others have seen them also as you can see by the quote I am not the only person who has had this observation.

SPS dominated reef
Old 07/15/2007, 12:06 PM
Lap San

their are B grade and A grade from ausi shipment.they're charge A grade by c meter .not all A grade are colorful but they're nicer then indo tho.
Old 07/16/2007, 03:27 AM
Registered Member

Some could be exported form Indonesia but sold as Aussie acan's. The labour is cheaper, so obviously collection is cheaper.

These Acan's are not as colourful/nice as the Aussie ones, so just be aware of this. I've read on the local forums (Australia), that this is becomming a common occurance, so just informing you whats happenning. Do your reasearch before buying just in case.

Chris.
Old 07/16/2007, 07:30 AM
Moved On

I'd be interested in knowing more about vendors passing indo off as aussie.
Old 07/16/2007, 07:51 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hatfielj
My aussie acans are having babies!

These polyps have been in my tank for about 4 weeks or so now and I just started seeing the new polyps over the last week or so.
I have them at the bottom of my 24" deep tank with 250watt 14K pheonix bulbs in an area of med flow. I don't generally target feed, but I do feed coral frenzy, artic pods and rod's food on the occasion.
yeah! thats awsome, i got a big peice of that SAME one from TFG, and i have to new polyps busting through too.
Old 07/16/2007, 10:16 AM
Registered Member.

I think Aussie is the new term some vendors are using to sell their corals. I would venture a bet that some of these supposedly cheaper Aussie Acans are just indo that have been sitting there and now they can actually sell these because the hype
Old 07/16/2007, 10:22 AM
Registered Member

here my aussie acan i got in canada
Old 07/16/2007, 12:04 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by water hazzard
I think Aussie is the new term some vendors are using to sell their corals. I would venture a bet that some of these supposedly cheaper Aussie Acans are just indo that have been sitting there and now they can actually sell these because the hype
From what I have seen the Indo acan's appear different than the Aussie Acan's. I have seen a select few (usually from the same vendor) on ebay that appear very much like indo lords and probably are but for the most part I would bet that most are the Aussie Lords as they honestly appear different. They may not all be the grade A lords but most are still very nice.
Old 07/16/2007, 01:23 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

I love a lot of the Aussie ones - its just strange that so many ended up in Canada. I guess time will tell if they hold colors, or if they shut down the imports, or they cherry pick all the nice ones from collectable waters. The "Japanese" ones were/are expensive due to supply/demand. Plus the fact that they're "illegal" and rarely brought in.

In just a week I've noticed some morphing of my Aussie Lords, a few for the better, a couple for the worst. They're all really nice still and I'ma gonna be doin' some more shoppin!

Closed minds should come with closed mouths.
Old 07/16/2007, 03:36 PM
Lap San

i notice alot more nicer micromusa coming in last shipment then acan from ausie.anybody else?
Old 07/16/2007, 07:10 PM
Premium Member

I noticed some pretty quick morphing of Aussie acans, too. I've had mine for about a month and a half and within two weeks, some had changed colors (all for the better except one).
Old 07/16/2007, 07:15 PM
Hey sweetheart ;)

SPS dominated reef
Old 07/16/2007, 07:20 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chris wright
Some could be exported form Indonesia but sold as Aussie acan's. The labour is cheaper, so obviously collection is cheaper.

These Acan's are not as colourful/nice as the Aussie ones, so just be aware of this. I've read on the local forums (Australia), that this is becomming a common occurance, so just informing you whats happenning. Do your reasearch before buying just in case.

Chris.
My main hold up here, though, is that Indo's have been legal for collection and export for quite some time. If these were Indo's, why would none of these incredible colors have shown up years ago when they were first hot (or at any point since)? Some of my Aussie's look like some of the nicer Indo's (called non-Indo at the time...), but for the most part, the colors are much better. I have some ugly ones (well, at least one really ugly, brown Aussie acan), but these colors take what we've seen as Indo lord's a few steps higher on average. If they'd been from somewhere that it was legal to sell from, they would have hit the market years ago. What I don't get is why you guys in Aussieland wouldn't have gotten these before. That makes absolutely no sense to me. What kind of lighting is popular down there (more in terms of K temp)? I saw some posted pics from someone else from Aussieland and his tank seemed closer to a 6500K look (could have just been how I saw it). If that is the case, the difference may be in lighting? I know I am always heavy on actinic blue (14K MH's with VHO's). Lighting is just a shot int he dark. It doesn't make sense that in the first few shipments, so many nice colors would come in before becoming at least somewhat popular in Australia (now there were cherry pickers down there I heard, so that might explain why some of the nicer ones made it up this way, but if they collected them then, why wouldn't they have collected them before). With so many Aussies talking about how they never saw these colors before in their LFS, I am intrigued and baffled. I can't bring anything to mind that makes sense...
Old 07/16/2007, 07:42 PM
Premium Member

a couple of the guys I chat with from Australia that have reefs said they liked sps and really think of lps as more of a pest coral. Not that everyone in Australia sees these things the same. I guess we so many different types of SPS we look for something odd and we get that in the LPS with various species.