Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 05/25/2007, 12:52 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kslick
Here we go again...... I bought the 6045 and in no way felt insulted.
Maybe I did not quite understand the first half of your comment
Old 05/25/2007, 12:57 PM
Registered Member

Their just seems to be alot of bashing on these threads lately, so thats all I was saying, maybe I misread dga's post.
Old 05/25/2007, 01:05 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kslick
No big deal, that's why in my earlier post I said I was not insulted, commenting on dga's post.
Well then my apology, I misunderstood you.

While we are bringing this thread back from the dead, just a quick update, one month so far, my super-modded 6055 is still kicking strong with the single controller alternating between 550 gph and 2900 gph. I did have to get a third party 24V DC adapter rated 45W, the stock transformer is rated 30W max and got too hot with my 6055 drawing 35W.

Last edited by jacmyoung; 05/25/2007 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05/25/2007, 01:08 PM
Registered Member

No problem, sometimes we lose meanings in things through typing instead of verbal.
Old 05/25/2007, 02:23 PM
Coral is a New Mom!

I have one of each and believe they are both good pumps modded or un modded.

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." -
Socrates
Old 05/25/2007, 05:22 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hounddog01
I have one of each and believe they are both good pumps modded or un modded.
The fact remains as jacmyoung said earlier.

From day one, we stated that the 6025's flow outperformed the spec of 660GPH, and the 6045's flow performance grossly under performed the 1189 (1100 revised) GPH spec.

For those people that are not interested in modding pumps, the stock 6045 is only pumping ~200GPH more than the stock 6025.
THIS WAS THE ORIGINAL CLAIM AS OF A FEW MONTHS BACK, AND SADLY ENOUGH STILL HOLDS TRUE TODAY.
There are thousands of views of this thread and many hundreds of people own both models. NOT ONE HAS YET TO COME OUT AND DISPUTE jacmyoung's or my flow measurements on either pump.

As I have repeatedly said, the nanostream powerhead is the overall best powerhead in the market today, (based on form, fit, and function); But that doesn't negate the fact that the stock 6045 grossly underperforms the published flow spec even after it was revised to 1100gph.

My earlier $30 comment referred to the flow performance difference on the stock 6025 vs the stock 6045.

The Tunze spec never advertised modding activities, stopper reliability and cleaning frequency requirements to justify the $30 premium. All they said was, it looks the same and pumps 1189 vs 660. The other comments and "benefits" were made and /or "discovered" (if indeed they are true) by us the hobbyist community. So, it's now up to you, the educated consumer to decipher the true data from the marketing fluff.
Enjoy...
Old 05/25/2007, 10:56 PM
Premium Member

Very good point made! DIYers by nature don't like to take the marketing materials as facts, only as reference. Otherwise no one would be doing DIYs because only the manufacture's specs would have guaranteed performance and warranty.

On the other hand Roger at Tunze at least now does not claim the 6045 anything but the result of your usual marketing gig. He stated clearly the pricing of 6025 and 6045 follows the pattern of an entry level product vs. a product that can bring some profit for the manufacture. He did not always say that and frankly I was surprised of his current position. Usually a manufacture would not come out just admit the usual marketing scheme they are following. And the fact that his service is second to none should also make the nano owners at ease.

All the rest of the data were tested by the RC members, and I am glad they are based on reasonable methods and logic, and were all explained in detail for everyone to judge their validity. No body here is forcing you to accept those data. I know there are those flat out dismiss any claims by the DIYers, stick to only the manufacture's specs, but the fact they are also reading this thread is good enough for me.
Old 05/26/2007, 02:46 PM
Registered Member

merci beaucoup! thanks a lot to all of you . great tread i 'm trying to translate a part of it for some of us french people who don't speak English , i can do my cross word in both language . lucky me
i get the best from both side of the ocean
Old 05/26/2007, 11:22 PM
Coral is a New Mom!

I just really like both of my pumps. I am not much of a DIY er but this ones seems easy. Atleast the one where you dremel out the inside of the cover. I would just like to know if there is anyone else out there who switch theirs on and off every 30 minutes and just did the cover mod with out the stopper.

Socrates
Old 05/26/2007, 11:33 PM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

i dont get where this thread is going, i started it to save people some money,and share something i thought would help the RC population, not get into some big argument over which pump is best, or whos right.

This thread is about taking something, messing with it, and seeing the outcome.

Thats exactly how i figured this out

An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. There would never be an "Escalator Temporarily Out of Order" sign, only "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the Convenience."
Old 05/27/2007, 12:28 AM
Coral is a New Mom!

Quote:
Originally posted by mr pink floyd
i dont get where this thread is going, i started it to save people some money,and share something i thought would help the RC population, not get into some big argument over which pump is best, or whos right.

Are you offended by what I have said. I am just trying to see if anyone switches theres after the mod. I am sure they work fine if you leave them on all the time but if you turn them on and off what happens. I travel often and do not want one to hang up on me.

Socrates
Old 05/27/2007, 01:48 AM
Premium Member

If you do the standard mod on your 6025, it is likely the pump will not be able to self-correct so the stopper mod may be necessary. And if you do the stopper mod for your 6025, you are also doing the wide flow mod. If you don't like to mess with the stopper mod, then the 6045 is right for you since the stopper is built-in.

In any case get them to be on and off often will have too much wear on the motor and prop. I would consider using the Seio controller before turning them on and off with a timer every 30 minutes. The Seio controller can be had for $140, it is extra cost but it does bring some nice benefit of true wave making.

Last edited by jacmyoung; 05/27/2007 at 02:01 AM.
Old 05/27/2007, 10:49 AM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

im not offended by anything, i just dont get why people start arguments over such stupid crap.

and jacmyoung, my 6025 self corrected itself faster after i had done the mods to it.

An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. There would never be an "Escalator Temporarily Out of Order" sign, only "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the Convenience."
Old 05/27/2007, 11:04 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
...and jacmyoung, my 6025 self corrected itself faster after i had done the mods to it.
I know, our experience vary with modded 6025s, a stopper however will guarantee swift and clean self-correction every time.
Old 05/27/2007, 08:14 PM
Premium Member

Quote:

Chill out Mike, there no need for excitement. You did your part and we all appreciate your effort and initial ingenuity.

jacmyoung took your effort to the next level, and we all benefited from it.
Now that we have made our mods we look back at the stated claims, then our findings, and "discuss",.... "evaluate",... "kick the tires",... waiting for jacmyoung to tell us what he thinks of the 6055's...
So no need to rant... just kick back and enjoy your creation...
Old 05/27/2007, 08:18 PM
Premium Member

BTW, what do you people think about nominating this thread as TOTM? and give Mike and jacmyoung the credit they deserve? ...is it too far fetched? It does have 25 pages of good info, you know!!!
Old 05/27/2007, 09:06 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by skydancer
...waiting for jacmyoung to tell us what he thinks of the 6055's...
I thought I had done everything I could think of with my 6055, what you want me to take it through a grinder?

I only wish Tunze had prepared to meet the demand of its products, so far this seems the only show stopper. There is only so much a few of us can do, I hope when the nanos are more available more people can participate and contribute.

Now that we run out of new ideas, I thought to post this new video link to show the benefit of my modded 6055 (2900 gph) and modded 6045 (1500 gph) working together to clean off most hair algae and return my faux coral and sand bed to their former glory:

Last edited by jacmyoung; 05/27/2007 at 09:14 PM.
Old 05/27/2007, 11:07 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jacmyoung
I thought I had done everything I could think of with my 6055, what you want me to take it through a grinder?
]
So do you recommend the 6055?
Is the stock version putting out the advertised flow spec?
In case I missed it... sorry about the confusion... too many threads, I've substcribed and am getting dizzy.

...with the Std mod what is the flow on the 6055?
...with the full blast is what?
...with the wide flow mod is what?
which mod do you recommend for the 6055? ...maybe all of them?

...is the stopper on the 6055 built in, or do we need to make the jacmyoung stopper mod?
Old 05/27/2007, 11:09 PM
Premium Member

sorry, the stopper question is not applicable. I forgot the 6055 is a dc pump.
Old 05/28/2007, 12:18 AM
Premium Member

As soon as I got the 6055 I did the standard and full blast mods and tested the flow to be a little over 1800 gph. I did not bother with the wide flow mod, next went straight to the super mod which used a 6200 prop on the 6055 to produce 2900 gph. I forgot to test the stock 6055 flow but believe the Tunze specs on the 6055 are accurate enough.

Based on my experience with all the Nano mods however, my first choice in terms of the best value would be, assume a 100g to 150g standard reef tank:

Four 6045s plus a Seio controller, std and full blast mods for each pump, larger 6055 prop for each pump also (trimmed down to draw 8W), you get close to 6000 gph out of them, use only 32W total, and have the flexibility of four pump outlets, and all on a same 50% to 100% pulsing flow.

The next choice would be two 6055s with a Tunze single controller, both 6055s modded with 6200 props to pump out a total of nearly 6000 gph, on a 30% to 100% pulsing flow. Cost more than the first one and also requires a lot more DIY effort.

But like I said earlier, Tunze doesn't have the products and parts available yet for us to create the above combinations.

Last edited by jacmyoung; 05/28/2007 at 12:35 AM.
Old 06/03/2007, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

great thread thanks to everyone. We are not cloning humans here so lighten up..lol that seio controller sounds good i will look it up. Right now i have unmodded 6045's when i got them one of the 3 pushed alot more flow than the others i assumed i got an impeller that was not put thru the cut-down process. I have been looking for info on the bucket test i will go back in the thread and look again will test this rouge 6045. Thanks again everyone for your work.
Old 06/03/2007, 08:39 PM
Registered Member

flow

Just did the standard mod on the 6045. Turned out my impeller is trimmed. This is what i was looking for just a little more flow and this mod took me 5min or less with no thinking or tools involved. I used a pair or pliers to stress the plastic untill it turned white a little where i wanted it to break and then started twisting at one end of the baffel and the whole thing came off slowly where it formed.(Of course i had a spare cover so i was not concerned just wanted to see what would happen if i bent instead of cut. Thanks again works great. Impellers do make alot of difference from magnet to magnet though.
Old 06/03/2007, 10:22 PM
Premium Member

Interesting. In theory, the same size and shape prop should pump out the same flow as long as the AC motor is not at or near the full capacity. The prop spinning speed is determined by the AC current frequency, in our case 60Hz gives approx. 3600 RPM. In Europe at 50Hz the prop spins at 3000 RPM.

But at full capacity when the prop is pushing the limit of the AC motor, the slipping gets worse and it reduces the pumping efficiency. The stock 6045 pump motor should have plenty of juice for the trimmed prop, so the flow should be the same even if the magnets/motors are not very consistent.
Old 06/04/2007, 02:13 AM
Registered Member

speed

i understand so unless one is slipping then all 3 should move at the same speed. A Rep from Tunze said the device they use to cut down the impellers could be the cause but not likely. I have one impeller that no matter which pump it is in it pushes more water and another impeller that no matter which pump it is in always less flow. No visible difference. Tunze sent me a prop incase i had the "uncut" lol version. The new prop does better than the weakest one i had and i am pleased along with the standard mod on a 6045 (for now). I do have two different versions ( one has a round cord and the other is flat) this was never a problem having a flat cord, but they were just not able to get enough flat cords, after production had already begun. I think the flow is more spread out even with the standard mod, it is more even with less ridges or "veins"., just broad flow.
Old 06/06/2007, 08:17 AM
Registered Member

any recommendations on placing two modded 6025s on a 90gal softies tank? Or is it simply not enough flow?