Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/12/2007, 12:44 AM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

I am not sure on the fans, I use Ice Caps. As long as you keep the lamps cool the life shouldn't decrease much. I got better than a year on my 80 watt system.
Old 03/12/2007, 12:56 AM
Registered Member

Thanks. Next purchase is buying the bulbs. I have seen numerous post by you regarding the 6 bulb set-up. Because my setup will be overdriven, will using 1 aquasun, or GE 6500 be sufficient? The rest will be blue+, super actinics and aquablue. Im planning on softies, some zoa's and a few sps's.
Old 03/12/2007, 08:25 PM
Premium Member

Grim and all,
I am getting ready to set up a 70G RR (36"x18"x24") and based on much research, I want to go with T5's based on heat issues with MH, the fact that I do not want a canopy and most of all, cost (initial and ongoing).

based on much of the research, I was set on the Tek 6x39W unit. After being blinded and numbed by about 60 pages of this thread, I am no longer sure.

Is this a good route? also, for a complete newbie to T5's what lighting combo's would you suggest along with 2 additional bulbs for trying different combos?

Thanks for this thread and all your advise to the thousands thus far!!!

Chris
Old 03/12/2007, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

So on a aga 75 to keep clams would 6 bulbs work?
Old 03/12/2007, 09:41 PM
Registered Member

Grim, I'm interested in purchasing a 6-39 Tek fixture for my 70 gallon tank. Do you think this is a good purchase? I'm kind of confused about what arrangement of bulbs to purchase as well. Any help with these questions would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Roland
Old 03/12/2007, 10:04 PM
Here comes the Gators

Grim, how much better would a 6x39 watt tek t5 fixture be than a sunpod 150 HQI MH fixture?

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

Anyone that thinks the SEC isn't the best conference is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 03/12/2007, 10:17 PM
Premium Member

Great thread. Thank you so much

Would running 4 bulbs on a 8 x tek hurt the unit?
Old 03/12/2007, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sgallagher7
Thanks. Next purchase is buying the bulbs. I have seen numerous post by you regarding the 6 bulb set-up. Because my setup will be overdriven, will using 1 aquasun, or GE 6500 be sufficient? The rest will be blue+, super actinics and aquablue. Im planning on softies, some zoa's and a few sps's.
Should be good. I'd do the Aquasun
Old 03/12/2007, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisd4421
Grim and all,
I am getting ready to set up a 70G RR (36"x18"x24") and based on much research, I want to go with T5's based on heat issues with MH, the fact that I do not want a canopy and most of all, cost (initial and ongoing).

based on much of the research, I was set on the Tek 6x39W unit. After being blinded and numbed by about 60 pages of this thread, I am no longer sure.

Is this a good route? also, for a complete newbie to T5's what lighting combo's would you suggest along with 2 additional bulbs for trying different combos?

Thanks for this thread and all your advise to the thousands thus far!!!

Chris
Try to get the Tek Limited Edition with the better reflectors. For 6 lamps try 1 Aquasun, 2 Aquablue, 1 Super Actinic, 2 Blue Plus.
Old 03/12/2007, 10:50 PM
Registered Member

Thanks grim. The success of my tank will be largly in part because of people like you and others that take the time and offer us your expertise. You Rock!!
Old 03/12/2007, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban_Squrill
So on a aga 75 to keep clams would 6 bulbs work?
That would be fine.
Old 03/12/2007, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rs1831
Grim, I'm interested in purchasing a 6-39 Tek fixture for my 70 gallon tank. Do you think this is a good purchase? I'm kind of confused about what arrangement of bulbs to purchase as well. Any help with these questions would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Roland
Try to get the limited edition unit with the better reflectors.
Old 03/12/2007, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 55semireef
Grim, how much better would a 6x39 watt tek t5 fixture be than a sunpod 150 HQI MH fixture?
If you can get the limited edition Tek I would say it will be more intensity for sure.
Old 03/13/2007, 01:05 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
If you can get the limited edition Tek I would say it will be more intensity for sure.

I'm not sure if you can answer this but where would be a good place to look for this unit. The only one that I could find was a 48"
Thanks.
Old 03/13/2007, 03:00 AM
Bucket Reefer

A lot of people rave about the Tek hoods. They do have some major flaws IMO ~ the hoods are poorly ventilated causing the bulbs to run hot and the cheap endcaps may deteriorate over time if you run them without a splash shield. Keep in mind a splash shield will also cause the bulbs to run hotter. Constructing your own hood with high quality water proof end caps, clip on reflectors, and adequate cooling fans is the way to go with T5s IMO. The bulbs will burn brighter and last longer when adequately cooled.
Old 03/13/2007, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rs1831
I'm not sure if you can answer this but where would be a good place to look for this unit. The only one that I could find was a 48"
Thanks.
Reefgeek did have them
Old 03/13/2007, 09:29 AM
Registered Member

I have a TEK 6*54 watt T5HO with IceCap SLR reflectors. I have 3 aquablues and 3 blue pluses.

the tank is a 125 gallon (60"long x 18"wide x 24"tall)

What can I keep? Could I keep SPS? How low down could I keep SPS like acropora?
how about a corcea clam?
Old 03/13/2007, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

To me it sounds like a majority of your light is in the short wave lenghts with loads of blue and very little reds and yellows. I would look at changing at least one bulb to a 10,000K.

Quote:
Originally posted by cartoonbear
I have a TEK 6*54 watt T5HO with IceCap SLR reflectors. I have 3 aquablues and 3 blue pluses.

how about a corcea clam?
Old 03/13/2007, 11:45 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Try to get the Tek Limited Edition with the better reflectors. For 6 lamps try 1 Aquasun, 2 Aquablue, 1 Super Actinic, 2 Blue Plus.
Thanks for the response.....any specific vendors for the lamps? any additional lamps you could suggest to allow some vaiations in terms of palying with the lighting?

Thanks again!!!

Chris
Old 03/13/2007, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

ok, but what can i keep with what i have?

wouldnt a 20k Mh have the same problem?
Old 03/13/2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cartoonbear

how about a corcea clam?
I would keep the higher light critters under the lamps. Acros would probably be fine anywhere under the lamps as long as they are up off the bottom of the tank. Same for the crocea, keep it up on the rocks a ways.
Old 03/13/2007, 12:34 PM

Reefgeek usually has the best prices. You could grab a GE 6500K daylight as a spare and something to add in to change up the mix.

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisd4421
Thanks for the response.....any specific vendors for the lamps? any additional lamps you could suggest to allow some vaiations in terms of palying with the lighting?

Thanks again!!!

Chris
Old 03/13/2007, 12:42 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Grim
thanks for both of your responses....I just got off the phone with Reefgeeks and they said that the limited edition is only available in 48". Would you suggest just the standad 6 bulb Tek unit or does another vendor become a better choice in light of this?

Thanks again
Chris
Old 03/13/2007, 12:51 PM

Ahhh, only 48". That sucks. Aquarium Specialties from the sponsors page has the Aquactinics 5 lamp T5 fixture which is nice. It will punch a little deeper into the tank but wont spread the light as much front to back.
Old 03/13/2007, 12:51 PM
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1070612