Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/29/2007, 10:52 PM
Registered Member

R U referring to this site?

Y-DesygnGuy -

I believe this might be the Idaho 'Aquaculture Farm" that you were referring to, and Reefmack was asking about...

http://www.garf.org in Boise, Idaho ? Am I correct???

A very interesting "Farm" to say the least... in a very unlikely city! I was looking into their "Live Mud".

Regarding the naked clowns... Have you thought about contacting http://www.orafarm.com to see if they have a retailer in your area?
Just thinking out loud...

Hodge - Thanks for posting the pix of the mod.

Reefmack - Thanks for responding to my post about LaurentSeattle's selfless effort to develop a software application for routine care of our aquariums. Forgive me for being so impressed with this effort and his willingness to share ALL with us!!! For the rest of you, please read at least the last page of his projects thread in the Nano Tank Forum. Very impressive application with extensive capabilities!

OK Everyone....

I finally made a decision on a RO+DI system that I found at the "filterdirect.com" store on EBAY. It's made in the US by Water General Manufacturing Corp. For the $ 120.00 delivered price, it looked to be an efficient and fairly complete package for 110 GPD production. Even though I do not believe I NEED a DI stage for my tap water because of my homes recently updated Hague 63BAQ ion exchange/carbon whole house softener system and my cities 135ppm TDS, I found nothing in an RO only system well below this price!

Anyone own this? I will report back on it when I receive it... Felt like I COULD NOT begin my RSM without a H2O filtration system!

Take a look: http://filterdirect.com/catalog/prod...products_id=29

Did I make a good decision?

Regards,
Kent
Old 12/29/2007, 11:14 PM
Excuse My French...

It could also be that place/farm:

http://idahoaquaculture.net/ricordeas.html

Very nice stuff.. Unfortunately they do not sell to hobbyists.
Old 12/30/2007, 08:11 AM
Genuine reef addict

NaCl+H2O Fish - the RO/DI looks like a nice one at a nice price!
Old 12/30/2007, 09:18 AM
Registered Member

NaCl+H2O Fish -- Yep I got my Rics from Idaho 'Aquaculture Farm", I posted last week they were having a special going on up until the 1st of the year. $8.95 a ric. I got together with a local reefer here and we placed an order. You can give them a call they might sell to the hobbyist if you order like 30 or more. We ordered 50 and they shipped them to us and we are not a retail store. The ORA farms are really strict on who they sell to, but I haven't looked to see if there are any more retailers in the Phoenix area. I am still waiting another week or two before I get the new clowns.... I miss them already, they added a lot of character to the tank...

LaurentSeattle -- I just got an order from http://idahoaquaculture.net/ricordeas.html yesterday, give them a call and see if they will sell to you. Again I think you will have to place a rather large order to get them, but its worth a shot. They have very very nice ricordeas, I would say the ones I got yesterday were much better than the ones I got from Sealifeinc.net
Old 12/30/2007, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

Reefmack

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefmack
NaCl+H2O Fish - the RO/DI looks like a nice one at a nice price!
Reefmack-

Thanks for the on my choice of the Water General RO/DI system. I'll report back to everyone about its build quality and performance once I receive and install it.

Is their a popular choice for a container to use for the RO/DI output?

I'm considering the 5 gallon 'plastic' carboy bottles used by water delivery companies for office/home water coolers OR
The plastic 'jerry can' gasoline storage containers OR
A 'rubbermaid' style small 5-10 gallon plastic garbage can with a snap-on lid.

Any concerns about 'leaching of plastic components' into the water?

Any other better ideas out their?

Thanks,
Kent
Old 12/30/2007, 02:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Rue - you're in techno heaven now!

ncwaterboy - how long has your tank been set up? Substrate & live rock in it? I can't remember if it's a new tank or not - in a new tank the skimmer may produce a lot of bubbles till it breaks in after a week or so.

I set it up the week before Thanksgiving. Live rock is cycled and I have added snails and crabs. Went through a diatom bloom but it has went away and I am starting to see some calcareous algae. Water parameters are good, everything is fine except for bubbles.
Old 12/30/2007, 02:43 PM
Genuine reef addict

NaCl+H2O Fish - I have the clear blue plastic water bottle carboys (Target had 5 & 3 gallon sizes), but some day I'd like to get the jerry can type since I think having a handle on the top would make that type a lot easier to carry than the bottles (and easier on my back).

ncwaterboy - other than a lot of microbubbles is your skimmer getting any skimmate into the cup? A little, a lot, none? I'm not sure if you'll ever get zero microbubbles with the RSM skimmer. I gave up on it a couple months ago, not because of microbubbles but because it just never got the skimmate into the cup. Have you tried cutting the black sponge to an inch thick and turning back on the air flow? Those are easy, as well as replacing the air valve with a cheap new airline valve from the lfs.
Old 12/30/2007, 02:51 PM
Excuse My French...

NaCl+H2O Fish:

Do not get containers larger than 5 gallons (or maybe 6)... Larger gets hard to handle and literally a pain in the back.

You may wish to look up usplastics.com. I am using these: http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/pro...uct%5Fid=14603
Old 12/30/2007, 03:48 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the Great Link...

Quote:
Originally posted by LaurentSeattle
NaCl+H2O Fish:

Do not get containers larger than 5 gallons (or maybe 6)... Larger gets hard to handle and literally a pain in the back.

You may wish to look up usplastics.com. I am using these: http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/pro...uct%5Fid=14603
Thanks Reefmack and LaurentSeattle!

Reefmack- Yeah! My thinking was that I should use a 'FOOD GRADE' container like the drinking water plastic carboys you are using, but they are hard to pick up without a handle and 'GLUG, GLUG & SPLASH' when you pour them! I believe the link LaurentSeattle sent in the post after yours may be the answer! Food Grade, stackable 'jerry can style' container with a handle!!!
Seems Perfect to me!!! ?

LaurentSeattle- Thanks for the link! Now that container looks like the perfect solution! I am hoping I can locate the same "BRAND" locally... I would hate to have to pay the shipping on such a bulky item. It would probably double the reasonable price for each container!!! ?

How many 5 gallon containers would you guys recommend? Fresh and pre-mixed salt?

Thanks Guys....
Old 12/30/2007, 03:51 PM
Premium Member

I have found that most LFS here carry the 5 gallon containers with handles. I picked up one for pure RO, but use buckets for salt mix and water change.
Old 12/30/2007, 03:56 PM
Excuse My French...

NaCl+H2O Fish:

I have two home depot buckets ( 5 gal $2 each ) to mix saltwater and remove water from the tank.

I use the two UsPlactics stackable containers only to store mixed saltwater and pour new water in the tank.

I looked everywhere and burned a decent amount of gazoline to avoid these shipping fees but could not find anything that convenient anywhere...
Old 12/30/2007, 04:06 PM
Registered Member

LaurentSeattle-

Actually... the United States Plastics Corp. link you sent me for the 'stackable food grade' 5 gallon DEKALIT brand containers is located in Lima, OH. The shipping charges to me in S.E. Florida only adds $ 2.00 per on 6 containers.... Hmmm... Maybe less than the gas & sales tax to buy them locally???

r/Kent
Old 12/30/2007, 04:15 PM
Registered Member

Good points Iostream and LaurentSeattle -

I should keep a couple of the cheap Home Depot 'utility/paint' buckets (with metal handles) for mixing salt and siphoning tank water for changes & MAYBE acclimating new RSM additions?

The shipping on the DEKALIT 5 gal. jugs was only $ 12.20 to my zip when I ordered 6 and qualified for the additional 5% discount!

Thanks Guys!
Old 12/30/2007, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
NaCl+H2O Fish - I have the clear blue plastic water bottle carboys (Target had 5 & 3 gallon sizes), but some day I'd like to get the jerry can type since I think having a handle on the top would make that type a lot easier to carry than the bottles (and easier on my back).

ncwaterboy - other than a lot of microbubbles is your skimmer getting any skimmate into the cup? A little, a lot, none? I'm not sure if you'll ever get zero microbubbles with the RSM skimmer. I gave up on it a couple months ago, not because of microbubbles but because it just never got the skimmate into the cup. Have you tried cutting the black sponge to an inch thick and turning back on the air flow? Those are easy, as well as replacing the air valve with a cheap new airline valve from the lfs.

Reefmack, I am getting skimmate in the cup, not much but the foam is dryish and it is greenish/brown. I think the skimmer is preforming adaquatly given it's size and the amount of contact time for the bubbles. I have not tried cutting the black foam down or replacing the valve. As mentioned prior, if I turn the skimmer off the micro bubbles immediately go away.
Old 12/30/2007, 04:33 PM
Genuine reef addict

Thanks for that link again Laurent. I finally followed up on it this time. I just ordered one 5 gallon and two 2.5 gallon jugs. The 5 will replace the bottle type that I keep 5 gallons of RO/DI for the next SW makeup. The two 2.5 gallon jugs will replace my 3 gallon bottle - will also be for RO/DI - for my ATO water during the week. I'll continue to use my white 5 gallon buckets (snap on lids) for SW makeup and storage. I find a bucket is more convenient than a jug for SW makeup and storage - easy to get a circ. pump & heater into & out of a bucket - I'm not sure you do that with a jug. I also have a 2nd white bucket that I use to siphon water into during a water change, then to carry my week old (fresh)heated/stirred SW back to the tank - a couple gallons at a time to make it easier to lift up to the top of the tank. Hey folks - I'm getting old! Anything to save my back and not aggravate the hip problem I've recently developed (which gets aggravated on water change day!). By the way, the shipping on the order for the 3 containers was only $9.94 - not bad at all, and I'd bet the prices were a lot lower than buying at my lfs.

Laurent - I downloaded & installed the necessary "net" software, then your "Hydro Planning" software. Very nice! I may continue with my Excel spreadsheet though, as it has months of data that I can see at a glance, and it would be time consuming to transfer to Hydro Planning. I may input data into both for a while before deciding what to stay with. Nice job though!

ncwaterboy - I'd get out a sharp scissors and cut off an inch thick piece of the black sponge and use that (keep the rest). It doesn't have to be exact. but shoot for an inch to 1.5 inch. When I went to an inch thick piece (and several other folks) it made a noticeable difference in less microbubbles. not zero, but less.

Last edited by Reefmack; 12/30/2007 at 04:51 PM.
Old 12/30/2007, 05:05 PM
Registered Member

ORA http://www.orafarm.com/about.html

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Y-DesygnGuy
[B]NaCl+H2O Fish -- Yep I got my Rics from Idaho 'Aquaculture Farm", I posted last week they were having a special going on up until the 1st of the year. $8.95 a ric. I got together with a local reefer here and we placed an order. You can give them a call they might sell to the hobbyist if you order like 30 or more. We ordered 50 and they shipped them to us and we are not a retail store. The ORA farms are really strict on who they sell to, but I haven't looked to see if there are any more retailers in the Phoenix area. I am still waiting another week or two before I get the new clowns.... I miss them already, they added a lot of character to the tank...

Y-DesygnGuy-

I have no life... LOL

So while I watched the new VP of Football Operations for the Miami Dolphins, Bill Parcels watch my team loose game #15 out of 16 to the Bengals... I explored the ORA Farms aquaculture site (re: the naked clowns). It's located in Ft. Pierce, FL. about 3 hours north of me. Interesting that it is located in the same city as http://www.saltwaterfish.com... Hmmm?

Lots of cool stuff they are attempting to do in aquaculture like hybridization, and attempting to reduce the stress on rare 'wld collected' species for the saltwater trade. Lots of really great info on clown species aggression, blennies, gobies, dottybacks, clams, other inverts and macro-algae! Very Much Worth reading and exploring!

I am definitely going to include a 'fighting conch' and 'queen conch' in my CUC!

I am going to call them in the morning to find retailers in my area... I will also check on Phoenix area LFS's for you and report back!

I am encouraged by what they say about the success of keeping 'bubble tip' anenomes (clown friendly) and the typically smaller T. Crocea clams higher up on the reefscape nearer the tank's strongest lighting.

Anyway... I found it interesting and a good read.

r/Kent
Old 12/30/2007, 05:48 PM
Registered Member

NaCl+H2O Fish -- Thanks for the info, I will look forward to an update on the ORA stuff.

I am bored today myself, I was left home alone for a few hours, wow that is nice after the past week of craziness! So I thought I would do a small video of the tank, you can still see microbubbles in my tank! I believe this link will start to download it and play it in a window for you. It's not the best quality because it was bright in my house at the time. I will try and do another one tonight when its dark in the house and only the tank lights on. The file is 15 megs I wanted to keep quality and not ruin it to make it a small down load. I have plenty of webspace so why not!

http://www.y-desygn.com/tank/RSM2.mov

I haven't stuffed the tank yet with corals I am trying very hard to take my time. My 14 gallon I stuffed full right away, so this time I am trying to be a bit slower. The few small frags I do have in there are really just temporary. Other than the mushrooms and some of the zoa's the rest of it will be coming out once I make my mind up on coral purchases.

Oh and please excuse the algae on the tank, i haven't scrapped it today!
Old 12/30/2007, 06:09 PM
Genuine reef addict

Y-DesygnGuy - just watched your movie twice - nice job! Snuck in and checked out your business site too - nice!
Old 12/30/2007, 06:11 PM
Registered Member

Reefmack -- Thank you! The color is so washed out, I will try for a better one this evening. I was noticing in the movie that the Hydro Flo was not spinning and low and behold it was broken! I guess i need a new one, I find that to be odd, not like I have ever touched the thing!
Old 12/30/2007, 06:15 PM
Genuine reef addict

I also snuck in and checked out your business site too - very nice! Are you sure the Hydor Flo wasn't just out too far? Mine at times somehow creeps toward the front and stops - pushing it back on gets it going again.
Old 12/30/2007, 06:29 PM
Registered Member

Reefmack -- Thank you again! My website has about 1/8 of what I can do or have done, I have the hardest time doing any kind of work for myself. I can design for someone else all day, easily, but asking me to do something for myself and I am paralyzed! Ive been doing that kind of work for about 13 almost 14 years now and 2008 will be my 4th year on my own! Each year ive increased in profits and learned so much! But my website I seldom if ever update, it has never gotten me any work. I now have 3 customers on retainer for 2008, I get paid regardless if they use me or not! I am sooooooooo happy about that, means six figures next year!

Nope the Hydro Flo died it wont spin, I took it off cleaned it stuck it back on, no go! Oh well they are 12 bucs at the store near me, Ill grab another one...maybe... I sorta like all the water flow the tank has with it off now that I see it.
Old 12/30/2007, 06:39 PM
Genuine reef addict

Sounds great for 08 Y-DesygnGuy! That's the first time I'm aware of a Hydor Flo breaking. I assume you took it apart to be sure the gear, etc. were seated properly? If you did were you able to figure out why it failed?
Old 12/30/2007, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

No I could not tell why at all, i thought maybe algae had grown in there and did something. But as far as I can see it was ok, but it wont spin any more. I am willing to bet if i let it sit for a few days and dry out it will work, some kind of voodoo!
Old 12/30/2007, 06:52 PM
Genuine reef addict

I'm trying to picture a little voodoo doll sewn in the shape of a Hydor Flow - with pins stuck in it!
Old 12/30/2007, 06:52 PM
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1282199