Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/09/2005, 11:24 PM
Fiddles With Reef

Here's a few pics I took of the damage that presented itself when unpacking the PFO hood. As you can see, it was packed well with a foam cushion top and bottom.

What was left of the glass cover:

340g In-Wall Envision Tank and 150g Sump (fuge and grow-out).
Old 10/10/2005, 12:01 AM
Fiddles With Reef

NexDog paces down the bustling corridors of the RC manor anxious to get to his destination. He passes familiar rooms as he traverses deeper into the compound, He hears the laughter in the "Reef Discussion" hall and the chatter in the "Large Reef Tanks" room but he pays them no heed. His hands are visibly shaking when he turns the knob of an unfamiliar door but he steels himslf and peers inside. He's pleasantly suprised to find that many of the faces are not unfamiliar and immediately starts to relax. He takes a seat among his fellow members but is soon motioned to stand up and introduce himself. He does so....

"My name is NexDog and I am an Equiptoholic"

This is my latest shipment from MarineDepot. Going from top left down and across:

Return Pump: PanWorld 100PX-X (1270gph). Under that we have 2 Iwaki MD30RLXT - one will serve as the skimmer pump and the other will be the chiller pump. On the floor in front of those we have 3 NewTek 8 Outlet Powerstrip & 24hr Digital Timers that will control lights and CL pumps until I get an Aquatronica (which I fell is not ready yet but looks promising).

So middle bottom behind the timers is the Sequence HammerHead. Behind that we have a new Refractomer and the TDS Meter on top. Then we have 2 Kent Marine Phos Reactors and 2 Maxi-Jet 600's to feed the phos reactors.

Top right at the top we have a Grounding Probe and below that the Kent Marine Float Valve Kit. Then we have the Tunze Osmolator with 2 Aqua Lifter pumps beside that. Under that we have 2 Two Little Fishies Phosban Reactors and to the side and below that we have 2 Finnex 500w heaters and Finnex controllers that I got from Premium Aquatics. Lastly you can't really see but there's babs of 3/4" locline stuff for the PVC racks.

With all this I think I have just about everything.

Last edited by NexDog; 10/10/2005 at 12:21 AM.
Old 10/10/2005, 05:05 AM
Registered Member

Nice collection of stuff. did they throw in free shipping
Old 10/10/2005, 06:03 AM
Premium Member

Normally they would, but overseas, I seriously doubt it. Been lurking on you for awhile Laurence, any updated shots of the house/tank?
Old 10/10/2005, 07:15 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

NexDog

Nice pile of stuff!
Old 10/10/2005, 07:25 AM
Fiddles With Reef

CAreefer - Nice to have you aboard. I'll take some more shots this week but most of the outside is done now. Few mouldings and paint left to do there. We fell a bit behind schedule because I decided to get an attic built in but I'm glad I did because you can never have enough closet space. We had to cut in more joists and stuff which took the time. We built the attic 5m x 8m - it's pretty huge and we'll never be short on space now.

The upstairs ceilings have gone in and this week we're doing the downstairs and should be able to start on the hardwood floors on Friday. I need to put another layer of concrete down in the tank room this week to tidy things up and improve the level. Preliminary wiring is going in the tank room tomorrow. I decided against one big control box for everything because I'm worried everything won't reach. So I'm putting in 4 boxes in total. One on the left of the sump containing 8 sockets for skimmer and 3 pumps plus a 4-Way, another above the sump in the middle for sump lights and pumps and powerheads feeding reactors. A few sockets above the tank to the right where I'll plug in the in the timer powerstrips for the ballastsand a few pumps that I want to turn off at night and the last on the far right a few more sockets for other stuff like the osmolator and anything else.

Well, I'm putting the sockets in boxes where they are below tank level. I'm hoping that by dispersing the sockets I'll make the wiring more convenient and less of a mess.

Starting the end of next week there should be daily hardcore updates as the room gets finished and hopefully the tank should be here not long after that.

Bax - Before I assemble it all I want a shot of all the equipment including lights, ballasts, skimmer, other pumps and 4-Ways and plumbing stuff. Just need to find a spare room.

Old 10/11/2005, 07:31 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

It'll look like a booth at an aquarium trade show
Old 10/11/2005, 03:40 PM
Premium Member

God I love this tank. Just the picture of all the new stuff reminds me of christmas when I was a kid.
About battering your fish around, perhaps one or two of the CL could be run on timers that would turn off at night. Do you know if Steve W. turned off his bottom returns at night? It would seem to me a good idea to let te fish find their spots and sleep.
Two phospate reactors? Are you going to run some other media in the second? Careful with these when using Rowaphos or Phosbane: better to use a good deal less than the recommended dosage on a slow GPH--one full would already be too much.
Save me from reading trhough the thread for the 4th time. Did you already plan your power center & what is your primary computer control? With a system like this you have to have a killer electrical panel and there are some great ones here on RC.
Old 10/11/2005, 04:51 PM
Premium Member

Hey Laurence, am jealous that james is sending you pics. My tank is due from him by Oct 28th. Mine of couse is the same size except my over flows will be in 1 foot from each side were yours look almost to the edge.

I also got some goodies in the mail for my new tank.

Randy
Old 10/11/2005, 04:55 PM
Premium Member

I also just pick up three sunlight supply lume max reflectors today. For my canopy. There susposed to spread the light out over a three foot area. That of course would be perfect for our tanks.
Randy
Old 10/11/2005, 09:57 PM
Fiddles With Reef

Randy, I chickened out on building a canopy for now. To get up and running quickly I got that PFO canopy that has all the lights and actinics in it. It will be more than enough for a year while I get my sea legs. Next summer I plan on building a canopy with good reflectors and better HQI ballasts. If you ask James, he will send you some pics. He doesn't check his email very often so it's best to call him (but catching him is hard too).

Nice collection of toys by the way. I think I see a Finnex heater in there? I'm kind of thinking the overflows would have been better a little more in but I don't think it will matter too much because I have lots of options and lots of flow. If I whack a Hammerhead on one the loops I'll have a spare Dart and can always put that on the return if I feel not enough crap is getting to the skimmer. But the PanWorld is rated 1200GPH and with all the flow the detritus should be suspended long enough to get to the overflows even if they are in the corner. I kind of like having the big space in the middle for the back closed loops as that is where all the acros are going to be.

Old 10/11/2005, 10:06 PM
Fiddles With Reef

Quote:
Originally posted by jumboshrimp18
God I love this tank. Just the picture of all the new stuff reminds me of christmas when I was a kid.
About battering your fish around, perhaps one or two of the CL could be run on timers that would turn off at night. Do you know if Steve W. turned off his bottom returns at night? It would seem to me a good idea to let te fish find their spots and sleep.
Two phospate reactors? Are you going to run some other media in the second? Careful with these when using Rowaphos or Phosbane: better to use a good deal less than the recommended dosage on a slow GPH--one full would already be too much.
Save me from reading trhough the thread for the 4th time. Did you already plan your power center & what is your primary computer control? With a system like this you have to have a killer electrical panel and there are some great ones here on RC.
You got it on the closed loops. I'm putting the bottom CL and either the back 4 or side 4 on a timer and turning off at night. I'm not sure if Steve does this but it is logical. It will probably be the side 4 that I leave on 24/7 as those streams have the biggest area to flow and teh biggest dispersal.

I have 4 reactors in total. Two for Phosban and 2 for carbon. I'll just put one in to start and add the other if needed but I have high phosphate levels so if the system can handle it, I do foresee using 2 reactors for phosphate removal.

I talked about the power center a few posts above.

Quote:
I decided against one big control box for everything because I'm worried everything won't reach. So I'm putting in 4 boxes in total. One on the left of the sump containing 8 sockets for skimmer and 3 pumps plus a 4-Way, another above the sump in the middle for sump lights and pumps and powerheads feeding reactors. A few sockets above the tank to the right where I'll plug in the in the timer powerstrips for the ballastsand a few pumps that I want to turn off at night and the last on the far right a few more sockets for other stuff like the osmolator and anything else.
No computer controller for now. I'll get the Aquatronica when it has all the feature but I don't think it's really ready yet. I'd only use it for PH control and I'm only going to dose Kalk at first and also I'd use it for timers. So I just bought those Timer Powerbars for now.

I really don't want all my wiring in one box. Having a few boxes will make sure the wiring can be kept neat and that everything reaches. I think it's going to work out well.

Old 10/12/2005, 07:36 AM
Registered Member

Nex: I did similar with my electrickery...

Since my tank is an "evolving thing" my electrics may or may not be finished... I suspect not.

I pulled 2 20A circuits to switches on the wall outside my fishroom and from there ran them to two junction boxes in the roof. The two junction boxes power two banks of switch sets. This way I have 2 master switches, one powering one "panel" and the other powering the other "panel". This way I can kill the entire power to the fish room or be selective yet I don't have to actually enter there to power it all down in case of an emergency.

I pulled wires to different locations in the fish room and made sure that not all the lights or pumps are powered by the same panel, (therefore 20A circuit), so that should a breaker blow the tank will still be lit and receive circulation.

Some of my outlets are there solely to power my timers that, in turn power banks of four outlets for lights and other systems I want to put on timers.

All my switches are the type with lights in them to show when power is applied to the circuit. They are a bit more expensive but it means that I can take a passing glance at the panel and see that everything is powered that should be.

It's a work in progress but it works nicely and makes routine tasks easier and quicker.
Old 10/12/2005, 07:18 PM
Fiddles With Reef

Yah, I remember reading about your electricity setup. Unfortunately mine won't be so pretty. I love your setup though - that's perfect in my opinion.

Old 10/14/2005, 12:15 PM
Fiddles With Reef

Tank is finished and the sump will be finished today. All shipped out on Tuesday - awesome. More pics courtesy of James:

Tank from the front:

From the back:

Notice the back four 1.5" holes for the back closed loop and the three 2" CL drains below.

James has built me an amazing sump. 150g (48x30x24) that can do absolutely everything!

Flow goes top left (overflow intake chamber), exits out the toothed bottom to the skimmer section. Iwaki pumps to the skimmer and I'll return the skimmer to the next section which is the fuge. Notice the black walls of the refuge section. This is due to the fact that I can only get Grape Caulerpa which is very unstable unless it's lit 24 hours a day. Black walls and a black shadow box that will go on top and house a light fixture will minimise light spill into the next section which is the propagation section.

I'm getting a PFO HQI Mini-Pendant with a 150w DE XM 10k for the prop section which I hope will grow frags quickly and keep some decent colour. Refuge to Prop section is toothed to control the algae. I'll feed the chiller from this section and it will have 5 1" holes drilled (2 in one side and 3 in the other). My idea is to pump the water into the chiller and return via a super-squirt from OM (good flow for the frags). Not sure how that will work out but I will work it out I hope.

The return section is pretty large as this is where the evaporation occurs. Will have the powerheads here feeding the phos and carbon reactors (which will sit on a shelf above). This is where I'll feed the Ca reactor from when I get around to that.

Put the final layer of concrete down in the fish room today and got it dead level. Going to build the stand next week (out of steel I think). Builders have all that worked out. Also, it's a full 5ft from the floor to the bottom of the tank so we are going to make a kind of swing-arm table that is attached to the wall behind the tank and swings down and clips into the stand so I can jump on that and work in the tank. Should be pretty cool.

Old 10/14/2005, 12:57 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Wow! That sump is awesome! I've read your whole thread and will be watching things develop. My next house will be built to house a large tank, currently i'm very happy with my 75. Keep the pics coming!

Brian
Old 10/14/2005, 02:57 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Very nice tank and sump ... bet'cha just can't wait to get your hands on that baby!

Good luck with shipping handling & customs, hope it works out better than the light did for ya.
Old 10/15/2005, 03:28 AM
Premium Member

A picture of the bottom of the tank?
Really, no computer control--any reason?
Old 10/15/2005, 04:20 AM
Fiddles With Reef

Didn't get a pic of the bottom but I can tell you it has a 1.5" hole 5" from the back and 20" in from side (one on each side) for the bottom PVC racks to be plumbed into.

I don't feel there is any software out there that does all that needs to be done and does so reliably. My whole life revolves around computers and servers so I know what it's like to deal with software that does half a job. I was thinking about the AquaController from Neptune but that X-10 technology - seriously, it's so unstable. The Aquatronica looks promising but kind of feels like a "beta" release. No point in having computer control if your computer can't alert you to problems. There is no way in hell I'll turn over any system to a computer that won't alert me if a problem arises.

Old 10/15/2005, 08:17 PM
Registered Member

Just tagging along, do you have any ideas for stocking your new toy yet?

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life.
Old 10/15/2005, 09:53 PM
Fiddles With Reef

Well, I'd like:

(3 or 4 tangs out of these):
Clown Tang
Powder Blue Tang
Naso Tang
Hippo Tang (already got one)
Yellow Tang (already got one)

(2 Angels - risky I know but just have to have them)
Koran or Imperator Angel
Regal Angel

2 Clarkii Clowns (already have these)
10 blue/green Chromis
2 Mandarins
Copperband Butterfly (maybe)
Coral Beauty (already got)
Pair of Banggai Cardinals
6-Line Wrasse (maybe)
Some Cleaner Wrasses

Might not be able to do all but those are my favourite fish.

I also have a Yellow Watchman and Diamond Six Spot goby but but not sure if I'm going to keep the 6 spot as I don't wan't sand scattered everywhere.

Old 10/17/2005, 12:46 AM
Fiddles With Reef

Quote:
Originally posted by NexDog

James has built me an amazing sump. 150g (48x30x24) that can do absolutely everything!

Flow goes top left (overflow intake chamber), exits out the toothed bottom to the skimmer section. Iwaki pumps to the skimmer and I'll return the skimmer to the next section which is the fuge. Notice the black walls of the refuge section. This is due to the fact that I can only get Grape Caulerpa which is very unstable unless it's lit 24 hours a day. Black walls and a black shadow box that will go on top and house a light fixture will minimise light spill into the next section which is the propagation section.

I'm getting a PFO HQI Mini-Pendant with a 150w DE XM 10k for the prop section which I hope will grow frags quickly and keep some decent colour. Refuge to Prop section is toothed to control the algae. I'll feed the chiller from this section and it will have 5 1" holes drilled (2 in one side and 3 in the other). My idea is to pump the water into the chiller and return via a super-squirt from OM (good flow for the frags). Not sure how that will work out but I will work it out I hope.

The return section is pretty large as this is where the evaporation occurs. Will have the powerheads here feeding the phos and carbon reactors (which will sit on a shelf above). This is where I'll feed the Ca reactor from when I get around to that.
Have some pics of the completed sump and it is a monster. James has really done me proud on this one.

Here's a shot from the front with the shadow box on top. I have two light fixtures that will be inserted and sit on the flange of that section and the water level is 4" below that. I'm only using four 17" flourescents to light the fuge so the 4" space will be fine. Box is open at the top for ventilation. Right front corner is the Prop section and you can see the 5 holes drilled for the SuperSquirt...

Next shot is looking from the back. You can see the return 1" hole there....

Last shot is showing the fuge area and how the shadow box sits on the flange...

There is no doubt about it, James at Envision has some skills.

Now just need to get it all to me in one piece!

Old 10/18/2005, 12:23 AM
Registered Member

Hello all,
I have been watching this thread and your tank looks great. Is it being made in Japan? How close are you to tokyo? I have been in Japan for about 2 years and I was curious where you get your fish and corals. It can be an expensive hobby here...as you know. Looks great so far...
Old 10/18/2005, 12:51 AM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
So thats what james is building now... He starts on my 300 gal second week of November... cant wait

He really does awesome work

nice set up Nexdog

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 10/18/2005, 03:14 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by parks
Hello all,
I have been watching this thread and your tank looks great. Is it being made in Japan? How close are you to tokyo? I have been in Japan for about 2 years and I was curious where you get your fish and corals. It can be an expensive hobby here...as you know. Looks great so far...

"Envision Acrylics, Inc. is located in beautiful Portland Oregon."

I hope this helps you with one of your questions.