Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/07/2006, 11:41 AM
TRC Leader

Keith, I have a used one sitting in the garage if you want it. Just PM me for the details.
Old 09/07/2006, 02:42 PM
Uncomfortably Caffeinated

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Keith, I have a used one sitting in the garage if you want it. Just PM me for the details.
A mandarin or pods?

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian." But an Indian can't kill anything with a crooked arrow.
Old 09/07/2006, 04:49 PM
TRC Leader

The dosing gizmo.
Old 09/12/2006, 07:39 AM
Wish I had more tank time

Location: Yucaipa, California (some little town you've never heard of)
Some updates.

I traded the Bi-color Angel to a local guy with two 1000 gallon FO tanks, one 80 gallon FO tank, and a 180 FO tank. He is seriously into the Fish .

Here is a picture of the Bi-Color in his new home. Not the greatest picture (I didn't take it.)

I got one male Green Mandarin, one Female Green Mandarian and a Rainford's Goby in trade. I think I came out on the better end.
Couple Pictures of the Mandarins

and the other.

Obviously my Six-Line is not the happiest of campers right at the moment. I am feeding extra food to try and satisfy the Six-Line. He isn't really biting the Mandarins just pushing them a bit.

Superman owns Chuck Norris Pajamas!!
Old 09/12/2006, 07:47 AM

Here are a couple of pictures of the RainFord's Goby.

And since I was taking Pictures.

The baby hammer doing well.

My Maroon Clown

Sailfin Tang

The new Aquascaping (had to take out most of the rock to catch the Bi-Color Angel)

End Shot

Side shot

Marc, the auction is over at 1:00 am tomorrow, so I'll let you know. Thanks

Have fun,

Keith

Old 09/12/2006, 08:16 AM
Memium Prember

Hey Keith, Do you think the rainfords goby will be OK with no sand? Mine sifts sand all day. It does not eat any prepared foods in my tank.
Old 09/12/2006, 08:45 AM

I do have some sand in my tank it is just covered by the larger pebbles. I was planning on clearing away some of the larger stuff and lay some more sand down for him. Right now he is finding sand and sifting away. He actually will more the larger stuff to get to the sand.

Old 09/12/2006, 10:44 AM
TRC Leader

Old 09/12/2006, 10:57 AM
Uncomfortably Caffeinated

I'd say you definately made out on the deal. Your tank is really starting to mature nicely.

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian." But an Indian can't kill anything with a crooked arrow.
Old 09/12/2006, 11:05 AM

Thanks guys,

I noticed this morning that a 3-4" diameter area has been cleared of larger pebbles. My guess is that it must be the Rainford's Goby.

Old 09/12/2006, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

Love the mandarins... Keep us posted on how they're doing from time to time as I am definitely interested in possibkly adding them to my tank.

Is the RainFord's Goby a jumper like some other gobies? The reason I ask is because I do not remember if you had eggcrate (or something) to keep fish from jumping out.
Old 09/12/2006, 09:45 PM
Premium Member

Everything looks good Keith,

I want to get a mandarin or two also, you did well on that trade.

The RainFord's Goby is a very nice looking fish, I don't know much about them so I look forward to following along.
Old 09/13/2006, 07:11 AM
Memium Prember

My rainfords is never more than a couple inches from the sand. I've never seen it show any interest in jumping or really free swimming around the tank at all. Just hangs around the bottom sifting sand here and there...
Old 09/13/2006, 07:42 AM

I will definately keep everyone updated on the Mandarins and the Rainford's.

Randy,
Does your Rainford's ever hide, or can you always find him near the sand?

So here is a funny story.

I was bidding on a dosing pump like the one Randy has. The first one I did the whole wait until the last ten seconds and put in my max bid $120. Instantly it was at $122.50, obviously someone else was doing the same thing. So I searched around and found another one of the same pump. But it's auction ended at 1:13 am on a Wednesday. Well there was no way I was going to be up at that time. So I just put in my max bid $120 up front (5 days before the end). Then an hour later Melev said he had a used one for about 1/4 the price. so now I'm praying that I DON'T win the auction. The auction ended 1 am this morning and guess what, I WON!!!!

But I got the pump for $81 and that is with shipping. So sorry Marc looks like you'll have to keep that pump around the garage for a while longer. Still $81 is not a bad price.

Now I just have to go back and read Randy's thread on setting up the pump more carefully. I will be asking some detailed questions over there.

Have a good day everyone,
Keith

Old 09/13/2006, 08:23 AM
Memium Prember

DOH - You could have retracted your bid before the end of the auction and been under no obligation!!! Too bad you didn't post this earlier!
Old 09/13/2006, 08:26 AM

I thought that you could only retract your bid under special circumstances? Like you put in the wrong bid or the item changes, stuff like that. Is that not true?

Old 09/13/2006, 09:17 AM
Memium Prember

Well, I have only done it once, but if I remember correctly you just click a check box next to the most appropriate "reason" and it is done. Who is to say that you didn't put in the wrong max bid by accident? I bet you really meant to put in the amount $1 lower than melev's price didn't you???
Old 09/13/2006, 09:27 AM
Registered Member

Keith,

Great job!! Just finished reading the thread. Very motivating. I'm in the process of setting up a 90g and was wondering how you feel about the reefkeeper2. I'm flirting with the idea of getting one.

Keep the pics coming.
Old 09/13/2006, 10:41 AM

Randy,
That would have probably worked but oh well. $81 is a good price. And I really liked how the pump has worked out for you, so I'll just follow your footsteps. No sense in re-inventing the wheel.

Trigeek,
thanks glad you liked the thread. The tank has been great fun and will continue to be as things grow and mature.

I have been very impressed with the Reefkeeper 2 so far. Very easy to program, easy to manually turn on and off lights, pumps, whatever, and I love the standby feature. Touch one button and the return pump and skimmer turn off for 10 minutes. You can choose whatever you want to turn off on standby.

I am uploading the new firmware update, either tonight or this weekend. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Keith

Old 09/13/2006, 12:07 PM
Memium Prember

That is a good deal - you got it for $13 cheaper than me!
Old 09/13/2006, 12:20 PM
TRC Leader

Congrats. I'm sure you'll be very happy with your new pump.
Old 09/13/2006, 12:51 PM

Sorry Randy

Thanks Marc

I think I'll have to buy refills for my LaMotte Alk and Calcium Test kits if I'm going to test as many times as Randy did to get the right setting.

Old 09/13/2006, 01:11 PM
Memium Prember

Well, I only did that for a little while. I'm down to about once per week now...

Maybe this weekend I'll aspire to do a water change and clean the skimmer
Old 09/13/2006, 01:40 PM

How long did it take you to get the setting right?

Old 09/13/2006, 02:20 PM
Memium Prember

The first thing I did was let it dose at full speed for a day into seperate containers to see how close the volume was for each channel. If one channel is significantly less volume than the other, you might want to trim a tiny bit of the flexible tubing off, which causes it to be tighter against the drive wheels and will increase that channel's output slightly. Once you have the channels putting out approx. the same volume, you can start playing with the rate to get the volume you need - still with water. I spent about a week doing this stuff, I wasn't in a hurry about it.

So after I started dosing with the pump, I still wanted to test it every few days for a while to make sure I had the volume right, and I did have to tweak it a little but it's working really well now.

I changed mine - it was dosing 24/7 but now I have it dosing from 11 PM to 11 AM. I want to try to offset the PH swing a little, my PH can use a boost overnight... I'm not sure how much difference it is making but I think it must be helping a little at least.