Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/18/2006, 03:18 PM

I was the one who coined the term 'Picasso' percula 3 years ago after finding a single specimen at a small but 'high-end' wholesaler. About a year after, they slowly started to trickle in the market, a year and half after that - they were becoming available almost weekly at a particular wholesaler who specializes in Solomon Island fish. They were all obviously wild caught back then. LOL, never did I think the name was going to catch on but I'm glad it did. They're pretty awesome fish.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...icasso+percula
Old 02/18/2006, 03:21 PM

Here's another good discussion about them:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...icasso+percula
Old 02/18/2006, 03:23 PM
Registered Member

Project ... should have Copyrighted or Trademarked the term ... could have made MILLIONS!! LOL. too cool.
Old 02/18/2006, 03:49 PM
Registered Member

Just remember people even if you ever get two "picasso" clowns to breed doesnt mean the offspring will be "picasso" It is like a gentic disorder.Very rare, very expansive. Correct me if Im wrong??
Old 02/18/2006, 04:12 PM
Fish Yenta

Misbarring is both genetic and environmental. To produce consistant misbarring patterns requires selective breeding from brookstock with the genetic potential, much as dog breeders eventually created the plethora of breeds we have now. After a few generation, they breed true with a few "sports" thrown along the way.

Probably -- and emphasis on probably -- ORA is producing more or less consistant results, at least enough to market them. Given that wild caught stock was available, they have already been selected for that pattern in the wild, and if you bought two and bred them, you'd probably get mostly picasso offspring.

I know the naked clowns were a product of ORA selective breeding; I don't know how many generations.
Old 02/18/2006, 04:15 PM
Registered Member

Naked clowns are awesome! Ive heard these are way cheaper, yet just as rare?
Old 02/19/2006, 06:07 PM
Vegetative Protoplasm

Nicole
Though the F1s have spawned (So No One even Use the term "Mules"!!!)(Which really does not apply since these are not hybrids), I very much doubt that one would get a high % of Picasso offspring. FME it just does not work that way. Hopefully soon we will know for sure.

And to others reading this... If you pay $400 for a Picasso, I've got some lovely swampland here in Florida that is just waiting for the right investor.
Old 02/19/2006, 06:52 PM
Fish Yenta

^
Would be the one to know.

So, do you just search RC for all new threads with "ORA" in them, or what?

Did those gobies ever work out?
Old 02/19/2006, 07:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oama

And to others reading this... If you pay $400 for a Picasso, I've got some lovely swampland here in Florida that is just waiting for the right investor.
HAHAHAHA!! Could not have said it any better !
Old 02/19/2006, 07:49 PM
Vegetative Protoplasm

Quote:
Originally posted by NicoleC
[BSo, do you just search RC for all new threads with "ORA" in them, or what?

Did those gobies ever work out? [/B]
I try to get the correct information across and avoid wild speculation

And, Yes, 18
Old 02/19/2006, 08:24 PM
Fish Yenta

Congrats on the gobies! I hope it becomes a regular thing.
Old 02/20/2006, 04:22 AM
Deuce Fragolo

Quote:
Originally posted by Bebo77
that is the mis bar clown fish... they come from ORA, they vary greatly... look in the clown fish forum... they postpic of them quite often.. anthony at passion of the sea had some a while back as well....

No that is not a mis bar Percula clown from ORA.

ORA imported 2 wild Percula's found in the Solomon Islands.They both had this strange stripe pattern and ended up being a male and female and paired off. About 1% of their Fry (babies) come out with the "Picasso" Pattern. I was told that one of the people who work in the hatchery started calling them Picasso Clowns and the name stuck.

They are True Percula's.

The interesting thing is the other 99% of their fry are usually all nicely barred. ORA has had some problems with the True Percula's producing alot of mis bars.

The Stripeless Clowns aka "Naked Nemo's" are awesome. I put two in my show tank.

I had brought 3 naked Nemos and one picasso to the SW-CFM but unfortunately the weather problems didn't allow me to bring my trailer so I was limited to just my truck space and could not fit the 24 Gal Aquapod I was going to display them in. It was cool though. I sold them all to one guy early in the show anyway.

Todd
Old 02/20/2006, 07:49 AM
Vegetative Protoplasm

Quote:
Originally posted by AWExotics
No that is not a mis bar Percula clown from ORA.

ORA imported 2 wild Percula's found in the Solomon Islands.They both had this strange stripe pattern and ended up being a male and female and paired off. About 1% of their Fry (babies) come out with the "Picasso" Pattern. I was told that one of the people who work in the hatchery started calling them Picasso Clowns and the name stuck.

They are True Percula's.

The interesting thing is the other 99% of their fry are usually all nicely barred. ORA has had some problems with the True Percula's producing a lot of mis bars.

The Stripeless Clowns aka "Naked Nemo's" are awesome. I put two in my show tank.

I had brought 3 naked Nemos and one picasso to the SW-CFM but unfortunately the weather problems didn't allow me to bring my trailer so I was limited to just my truck space and could not fit the 24 Gal Aquapod I was going to display them in. It was cool though. I sold them all to one guy early in the show anyway.

Todd
Just to clarify, only the male is a WC Picasso Percula. The Female is a WC Onyx-ish (depending on your definition) Percula. And the other 99% are not all nicely barred, though the incidence of Fully Barred is higher than in other pairs.

I give Project Reef credit for coining the term, as his is the earliest reference I could find using that name. Even though it was before my time here on RC. Wish those pics were still available.

The name was picked from a discussion at ORA as to what to call these fish. At the time, there was a large influx of WC fish that were coming into the country that people were terming "Jigsaw" clowns. It was decided to call the Percula "Picasso", and to call the White Stripe Maroon "Jigsaw".