Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/15/2004, 07:16 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MickeyDee
Wow. I thought my project was overwhelming and I haven't had to do much construction.

Looks like a great job so far. Keep on pluggin'

Mickey
Yes, it is a lot of work. I will surely pay off in the end once everything is set up.
Old 06/15/2004, 07:21 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lunchbucket
Travis - hope you got a lot done but remember take you time and don't rush!! i'll see you soon to help w/ the move.

later buddy
Lunchbucket
Been working on it a lot the last few days but it still seems to be taking forever. Yeah, I need that reminder to not rush. I have felt kind of rushed to meet my deadline to move my tank in this weekend but then I sit back and remind myself that I have already been waiting several months for this to happen so I might as well not rush anything now. Check your pm I sent you about the tank moving day. I won't have the room ready by the original date.
Old 06/15/2004, 07:24 PM
Premium Member

Knyght, SOMEthinsFISHY, roricaja, thanks.
Old 06/15/2004, 07:30 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tazzmacd
OK I have to ask since I am pulling some wire for my new setup. why the 8 20 amp circuits?? Are you going to be using them all?? or is this just in case you need them in the future??

Let me know cause I thought I had over kill with 2 existing 15amp and 2 new 20 amp circuits that I was planning on using.

Cheers!!

Pat
Between the display tank, clam tank, and the quarantine/frag tank I will be sucking up approximately 100 Amps MAX. Having 160 Amps available in the room allows for future additions/upgrades. It is also best if you aren't running your circuits maxed out. I think around 80% is recommended.

It sounds like you have your setup well planned. I'm not sure how many Amps are required with all of your equipment but for most tanks I think 2 15 Amp and 2 20 Amp circuits should be more than enough. I'm a huge fan of "overkill". It's always better to be safe than sorry and to do it right the first time.

Good luck with your setup.
Old 06/18/2004, 02:28 AM
Premium Member

Well, another busy week deserves another update.

I have made a lot more progress on the tank room this week. The first part of the week was spent on the drywall. First insulation was added to help with sound dampening. Then the green board was installed on the inside and outside of the tank room. After the green board was installed the cutouts were drilled for all of the electrical panels. The next step was a 3-day process of applying mud letting and letting it dry 3 consecutive days. The mud was then sanded down smooth and an oil based primer was applied to the green board inside the tank room. The product I used was made by Zinser. The outside of the tank room was primed with a water based primer. After allowing the primer to dry for 24 hours I painted the inside of the tank room with an oil based white enamel. The product was made by Dutch Boy. I chose to go with oil based in the tank room for durability and water resistance. The concrete walls inside the tank room were painted with a 1 part epoxy garage floor paint made by Behr. This is the same paint I have used in all of my canopies and I've found that it is very durable. Here are some pics.

Old 06/18/2004, 02:32 AM
Premium Member

Before I can move the tank in I still needed to cut some boards for the stand. I needed one board that would go on the top of the stand for the tank to sit on. This board will help distribute the weight of the tank along the whole stand. Then I needed a board for the bottom of the stand for the sump and equipment to sit on. Finally, I needed a board for the top of the clam tank stand. I used 3/4" treated plywood for all of the boards. They were cut to size and then primed with an exterior oil based primer made by Dutch Boy. After allowing the primer to dry for 24 hours I added a coat of oil based paint made by Rust-O-Leum. After the first coat dried I applied another coat for extra durability.

Of course, not everything could go smoothly as planned. It wasn't until after all the paint had dried that I realized I forgot to make cutouts for the overflow drains on the stand board. So I had to make the cutouts, prime them, and apply two coats of paint allowing 24 hours of dry time in between. I guess I should be thankful that I noticed this before I went to set the tank on the stand.

Old 06/18/2004, 02:48 AM
Premium Member

Santa Claus also decided to bring me an early Christmas present this week. I went to pick it up and it was just a big box. It weighs 500 lbs. so it must be full of coal. Woop-te-doo, Santa screwed me again. I might as well open it up and see what is inside.

Dad taking a look. If it wasn't for him this project wouldn't have been possible. He welded the stands and did a lot of work in the tank room.

Mom lending a helping hand.

Old 06/18/2004, 02:52 AM
Premium Member

Well, I guess Santa was good to me this year. He delivered my new 280 gallon tank.

Here is a shot looking into the tank from above. Notice the overflow cover I had made to keep light out of the overflow box which will keep nuisance algae from growing in there and possible restricting the flow to the drains.

And my fiance posing with her new competition for attention.

Old 06/18/2004, 04:11 AM
Registered Member

Looking very good indeed!
Old 06/18/2004, 04:52 AM
Registered Member

12 is a good number !
Old 06/18/2004, 05:29 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

Travis - LOL looks like you have bee BUSY!!! 500total pounds for that crate...that tank can't be THAT heavy then. can't wait till sunday so i can help out getting it in place. the pics were good and thanks for sharing. funny how you post the fiancee w/ her NEW COMPETITION FOR ATTENTION...very funny...but pretty much true

keep me updated if we are still doing this sunday evening....and how long you think it will take??

later buddy
Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 06/18/2004, 12:30 PM
Premium Member

Lunchbucket, the only things left that HAVE to be done before the tank is moved in is tile around inside of tank opening, paint the tank room floor, and silicone rubber baseboards to the walls along the tank room floor. Should be able to get the tile and floor painted to day FOR SURE and maybe the rubber baseboards. If not I'll do the baseboards tomorrow morning. So it looks like we can move it in Saturday, but no promises.

I'll call you tomorrow if I am ready to do it tomorrow. Can you get calls on your cell while you are at work?

I did make a boo-boo. The stand is still at my parents' house and now the tank is sitting on the only truck I have access to. I'm not sure how well the stand will fit in the back of my SUV. Well... if there's a will there's a way.
Old 06/19/2004, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

Travis, great work and well thought out. Just read all 9 pages of the thread awesome!

I'm tagging along just in time, you and lunchbucket should be installing the tank today.

Keep up the good work and don't forget the eye candy, can't wait!
Old 06/20/2004, 06:31 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

hey come on now where are the move in pics....since we got in in A-OK!!!!

i SERIOUSLY want a big tank like that now!!

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 06/21/2004, 04:19 AM
Registered Member

welcome gab !!
Old 06/21/2004, 12:36 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gab24m3
Travis, great work and well thought out. Just read all 9 pages of the thread awesome!

I'm tagging along just in time, you and lunchbucket should be installing the tank today.

Keep up the good work and don't forget the eye candy, can't wait!
Thanks for the compliments. The tank got moved in on Sunday and I'll get some pics of the move up soon.
Old 06/21/2004, 12:40 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lunchbucket
hey come on now where are the move in pics....since we got in in A-OK!!!!

i SERIOUSLY want a big tank like that now!!

Lunchbucket

I'll get those pics up soon. I was at the house until 3am last night. I finished up the electrical and then started plumbing. I was plumbing for about 5 hours and ended up getting really sick, dizzy, etc. from all the glue so it was time to go home and go to bed.

BTW, thanks again for the help. I really appreciate it. And I'm glad you were on my end of the tank. I felt pretty secure knowing that I could probably stop holding the tank and you could handle that end on your own.
Old 06/21/2004, 03:39 PM
Premium Member

Things went well the last few days. I got the tank room floor painted. I used a 2-part epoxy paint by Rust-O-Leum. I am very pleased with the results. The paint was easy to use and looks very nice.

I got all of the GFCI outlets wired and installed. It was a long and tedious process but it will be well worth it if one of them should trip if I'm not home. The first picture shows the outlets installed under the stand. As you can see, I was a little off on my calculations as the back top right and left gussets block off the tops of the farthest outlets. This isn't too big of a deal as I will only have one item plugged into each outlet.

The next few pictures shows how I wired each outlet. This wiring configuration allows each GFCI to be independent from the rest of the circuit. This way if one GFCI should trip, all other GFCI's on the same circuit will still have electrical current. This could possibly save the tank from a disaster some day down the road. If I'm not home and one of the GFCI's trips, all of the other outlets will still be on. Since I will only have one piece of equipment plugged into each GFCI, all of the other pieces of equipment would keep running. From what I've noticed, most people don't want to install this many outlets for their tank. What happens is they end up having many pieces of equipment plugged into a single GFCI. If that GFCI should trip, all of the equipment plugged into it would stop working until the GFCI was reset. This could be devastating if the tank owner is on vacation.

The first picture shows how the wiring is "pigtailed". If the outlet is at the end of the circuit you just wire the receptacle normally. However, when it is in the middle of the circuit, the wires need to be pigtailed to isolate the receptacle from the rest of the circuit. In each outlet box, which is in the middle of the circuit, there will be a cord that goes to the receptacle and a cord that goes on to the next receptacle. You take the hot, neutral, and ground wires of each cord, along with another short piece of wire and attach them with a wire nut. You then attach the short piece of wire to the receptacle.

Old 06/21/2004, 03:44 PM
Premium Member

The tank was moved in on Sunday. We moved the stand in the night before which acted as a test run because the stand is the same width as the tank. I thought I had measured everything and there would be plenty of room but I was wrong. One of the doorway openings in the basement was the exact same size as the width of the stand so it was too tight of a squeeze. This was even after I had already removed the door frame. We ended up having to cut out some of the wall to increase the width of the doorway.

Other than the complications posed by the doorway, everything else went flawlessly. The only thing we were concerned about with the tank was getting it down the stairs. The stairs to the basement are long and steep. Because the wall and doorways were only slightly wider than the tank, the same two people would have to stay on the same ends of the tank through the entire move. This meant that going down the stairs, there would only be 2 people at the bottom of the tank that would have to keep the tank from coming down too fast. To help alleviate this problem we constructed a sled for the tank to sit on.

On one end of the sled you can see one of the 2x4's was mounted on top of the sled. This is the end that would be at the bottom going down the stairs. This 2x4 would act as a stop to keep the tank from sliding off the sled. The sled actually came in hand for every part of the move. It allowed easy leverage for holding the weight of the tank. It also allowed us to slide the tank along the carpet once we got it down to the basement.

The first part of the move consisted of getting the tank off of the truck bed and onto the ground where we then set the sled next to the tank. This allowed us to tip the tank on its back. By moving the tank on it's back it put the front of the tank on the top. If anything was going to get scratched during the move this would allow the top front of the tank to be the safest.

The tank was then first moved into the breezeway. The breezeway was barely large enough to all enough room for the people on each end of the tank to slide the tank over and align it to go into the house. Once in the house it was a straight shot down the stairs and into the basement. It was actually really easy getting the tank down the stairs and wasn't that heavy for the people on the bottom end. The difficult part was at the bottom when the tank couldn't slide anymore and it had to be eased down each of the remaining steps.

Old 06/21/2004, 03:49 PM
Premium Member

Once the tank was in the basement it was easy to maneuver because of the sled. When we got it in the last room before the tank room we tipped the tank back upright and carried it onto the stand without the sled. Then came the long anticipated unwrapping ceremony.

Old 06/21/2004, 03:57 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

ahh i remember that well!!!

nice pics of my goofy butt i'm the bald one incase you guys/gals didn't know

yeah Travis i would have had it if you would have slipped. i WASN"T letting that tank fall for ANYTHING. i would have gotten a broken bone from diving under the tank to save it!! it is B-E-A-UTIFUL!

Travis- found out who was killing the shimp...my bicolor pseudochromis...little butt head. hasn't killed any of these two but is eyeing them!! i am ordering an aquacontroller and giving the bro-in-law my dual temp controller and pH monitor. he doesn't need an aquacontroller and it is cheaper for me to do it this way...sort of paying myself for doing and the curing, planning, ordering, and sump building and plumbing!! might need you help setting it all up or suggestions!!

later
Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 06/21/2004, 04:16 PM
Premium Member

Man I hate it when I take the time to get a post ready and when I click "submit reply" it tells me I have to many image tags. Then when I click back everything has been deleted.

During the unwrapping some of the shims slid out from under the stand and almost caused a couple heart attacks. Fortunately, nothing major happened. The stand was shimmed up better and the tank was repositioned. After it was unwrapped we slid it into its final position.

Time to climb inside and unwrap the rest.

Finally, my baby is home. Not a single scratch during the whole move. Much thanks to Lunchbucket, my dad, and Brian for helping move the tank. Also, to my mom for supervising and my fiance for taking the pictures. It really is amazing how small pictures make the tank look.
Old 06/21/2004, 04:21 PM
Premium Member

Once the tank was moved onto the stand Lunchbucket noticed that I had forgotten to drill holes through the plywood for the bulkheads on the bottom of the tank. Oops.

One trip to Menards and a little drilling later and wallah...

I used a 3.5" hole saw to drill from the bottom of the plywood. Only a couple small scratches to the bottom of the tank.

Here are some shots of the tank in the tank room.

Old 06/21/2004, 04:29 PM
Moved On

looks amazing!
Old 06/21/2004, 04:29 PM
Premium Member

And with the bottom board for the stand in place.

Here are some pictures of the tiling that was done inside the tank opening. Some more decorative bronze tiles are on order which will go around the outside of the opening to complete the trim.

The tile was installed having it rest 1/4" over the back side of the opening. Moulding was then installed butted up against the tile. This allowed a good surface for the tank to butt up against. It also helps to dampen the sound better between the tank room and the viewing room. Already, the only sound you can hear from within the tank room is that which makes it around the open doorways. Once the doors are installed and the tank is sealed against the opening, the room should be very close to soundproof for the noise levels that will be in it.