Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/02/2007, 07:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
That's cool Don. It happens! Besides, I was interested in seeing the stuff you sell. I am trying to implement a float switch/timer activated solenoid to re-direct my RO/DI effluent to the drain for the first few minutes to avoid the TDS spike during start up.

I have a SpectraPure LLC with solenoid and booster pump which works well, but it does not deal with the startup TDS. And I would like to find a TDS meter that records so I can see if there is any fluctuation in what is going into my tank.
Its probably not making its way to your tank its just munching down your di resin. It a pretty simple device actually just a few parts. Not a cheap gizmo, I think thats why SP had a hard time selling them so they just gave up.

Don
Old 10/02/2007, 08:21 PM

Actually, the only way i know abut it is because the TDS spikes post resin. So can you build it for me to add into my SP system?
Old 10/02/2007, 11:09 PM
Uncomfortably Caffeinated

Jonathan, I got this one I have not hooked it up yet but seems pretty solid. No doubt Don could build a better one though.

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian." But an Indian can't kill anything with a crooked arrow.
Old 10/02/2007, 11:17 PM

Dan, I already have that stuff. It's devising a way to re-direct the flow for the first few minutes so that I don't have that elevated startup TDS going into my purified water.
Old 10/03/2007, 08:19 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dandy7200
Jonathan, I got this one I have not hooked it up yet but seems pretty solid. No doubt Don could build a better one though.
What were talking about is a system that SP and Myself used to have available SP called theirs pass to drain. What they do is run the first few minutes of pre-di water down the wastse drain then revert to normal operation. Fairly simple but not very popular.

Don
Old 10/07/2007, 07:12 AM
Skeet, Skeet, Skeet

Where are all the pics? Is it just me?

I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time
Give it right back to you....One of these days
Old 10/07/2007, 08:57 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AcroSteve
Where are all the pics? Is it just me?
No its not just you. A page or two back I scewed up the server and cant edit the post to put them back. Most of them are in my little red house.

Ive got more I'll post here as soon as I find my usb cable.

Don
Old 10/16/2007, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

Just a quick update on this project. The stand is almost done, just needs some finish. I made to many design changes and the wether has turned cold so the whole thing has to be hauled up to my heated shop for finishing. I'll post some pics as soon as its dry.

The tank itself has turned into a real pain. I ordered acrylic, it came in with a big gouge. I got more and decided I didnt want to take any chances so had it cut and diamond honed. Picked up the pieces and three of them were gouged. They happily got me some more and got them cut and honed, I picked them up and not a single piece was square. By now I'm pretty upset and the plastic supply place doesnt want to screw up another $400 worth of acrylic. Tonight I'm just picking up the sheet and will cut it myself and hone it by hand. I'm running our of time with this project with the holidays comming up.
I still need to replace the floor under my old tank and the drywall behind it before this can be filled with water. I had to stop the living room remodel at the tank, obviously it couldnt just be moved at will.
If I can get the temp to stabalize in my office 20 I'll start relocating my fish this week-end and clean up the old tank for its new owner. I'm sure my tangs are not going to be thrilled about living in a 20g aquarium.

Don
Old 11/05/2007, 06:23 PM
Registered Member

You need more pictures!! I usually just lurk but since Don is a good friend I think this deserves a comment.
I just watched this being sprayed and all I can say is Wow. A jaw dropping display of craftsmanship and artistry.

Mike E
Old 11/05/2007, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeelmore
You need more pictures!! I usually just lurk but since Don is a good friend I think this deserves a comment.
I just watched this being sprayed and all I can say is Wow. A jaw dropping display of craftsmanship and artistry.

Mike E
Arent you sweet. I need to fix the camera, just havent had time. Your email is broken or full. That table closed at 120K she has the bid 20%. I honestly dont want the job if shes going to let the dog tear it up.

Call me
Don
Old 11/06/2007, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

hey donw!
what is this process to acrylic edges ? quote(so had it cut and diamond honed)
is this for cleaner edges?
i use a diamond hone to sharpen tools but never read about using it on acrylic, Please advise!
btw i enjoy looking at your craftsmanship
Lane
Old 11/06/2007, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mountaindew
hey donw!
what is this process to acrylic edges ? quote(so had it cut and diamond honed)
is this for cleaner edges?
i use a diamond hone to sharpen tools but never read about using it on acrylic, Please advise!
btw i enjoy looking at your craftsmanship
Lane
They use a machine that resembles a jointer but no blades It leaves more of a lightly sanded finish. For the top edges I rounded them over with a router. Then I made 15" Long block "L" shaped and covered it with felt. The the profile matches the round over. Then I stick the sand paper to the block and slide it back and fourth. This is how I'm wet polishing the top edges. Its a slow task but will be well worth it in the long run.

Don
Old 11/07/2007, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for reply Don!
Ok i understand the jointer spiral cutters, i guess thats what we are talking about.
hope to see more pics on your build
Lane