Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/02/2007, 08:59 PM
Premium Member

The odyessa 75 is now half off, 35 bucks. It shows it has HOB, but for the life of me I can't figure out how....hang "in" the tank?
Old 09/02/2007, 09:06 PM
Registered Member

It comes withe a u tube.It allows the pump to be placed inside the tank.
Old 09/02/2007, 09:12 PM
One Good Friend

ps75

Quote:
Originally posted by Josh125
The odyessa 75 is now half off, 35 bucks. It shows it has HOB, but for the life of me I can't figure out how....hang "in" the tank?
When it first came out it was 29 bux, so its actually up 6 bux.
Old 09/02/2007, 09:56 PM
Premium Member

What the story on the ViaAqua Multi? Good, bad?
Old 09/02/2007, 10:08 PM
One Good Friend

Never seen one in person, i've heard both yea and nea, not to many users. There in sump skimmers are unreal completely redone. Personally there just another hot skimmer that could be average.
Old 09/02/2007, 10:10 PM
Premium Member

Eh, I'll just get a typhoon and call it a day. What pumps is everyone running on it?
Old 09/02/2007, 10:51 PM
One Good Friend

The one you get with it. Check out the typhoon thread.
Old 09/05/2007, 02:17 AM
Registered Member

I'm gonna post some pics tomorrow or the day after of skimmate that I collected on my "worthless" remora in a 10 hr period.

I really would like to see anything besides a higher end skimmer like a tunze or deltec outperform the remora or whatever hob you guys are pushing so hard. The remora shows up used at under a $100 here almost daily. The bermuda is 3x's as much new and no one will put up pics of performance. At the same time there are a bunch of reviews (positive and negative) on the deltec hob models.

Given that this hobby is supposed to be fun, what do you equipment pushers expect? You guys can find more negative experiences with the Typhoon in the last year than the remora. Really, every time the Remora comes up you guys are the most vocal. What does that say?

I will admit that the remora hob pretty much sucks. Ihaven't been convinced by you guys that I should by a comparably priced skimmer, upgrade the pump, hacksaw the body, add a needlewheel, and consider a gate valve over just buying a skimmer with those features standard. My problem being that none of those features justified the price tag. $5.00 worth of changes to already under-performing in sump skimmers wound up arguing HOB skimmers which cost more engineering hours to perfect..
Old 09/05/2007, 03:04 AM
Registered Member

what's the aquamedic turboflotor 1000 multi like?

anyone have experience with it?
Old 09/05/2007, 05:40 AM
Registered Member

My typhoon has worked well since I bought it, my old remora never worked worth crap
Old 09/05/2007, 06:49 AM
Registered Member

also. is the coralife super skimmer decent?

im having a hard time deciding between the remora pro, turboflotor 1000 multi, coralife super skimmer, and the bak pak 2R+.

for a 35-50 gallon tank...i want to order it and my lights but cant decide on a HOT/HOB skimmer
Old 09/05/2007, 07:11 AM
One Good Friend

Out of those skimmers the tubofloater is superior.

Its already been well established the remora is the most overated and overpriced pos of the hot skimmers.......period.
Old 09/05/2007, 10:13 AM
Registered Member

I'm using a Berlin Turbo Hang-on Protein Skimmer and it has been preforming well.

Old 09/05/2007, 10:45 AM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by stevenw56
I'm using a Berlin Turbo Hang-on Protein Skimmer and it has been preforming well.

gross stuff.

what size tank is it on?
Old 09/05/2007, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by luke33
The bottom line is you have to look at performance and cost and there are just a few mediocre hot skimmers out there. There are no great hot skimmers. The tunze in tank is your best option. In the near future hopefully we will see some substantial evidence that the bermuda rogue is a great hot skimmer. There are two users with them now I've been in contact with and hopefully soon we'll see something.
Bermuda. I have never seen a company shoot themselves in the foot so bad. The only thing I have heard is a rep sounding real cocky, claiming the skimmer is the best thing since sliced bread. Since then they have fallen off the face of the planet. Something tells me these people with this skimmer "will be in contact" for a few more months. I dont care if it is the best skimmer in the world. The Customer Service sucks! There I said it.
Old 09/05/2007, 11:27 AM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by chirojosh
Bermuda. I have never seen a company shoot themselves in the foot so bad. The only thing I have heard is a rep sounding real cocky, claiming the skimmer is the best thing since sliced bread. Since then they have fallen off the face of the planet. Something tells me these people with this skimmer "will be in contact" for a few more months. I dont care if it is the best skimmer in the world. The Customer Service sucks! There I said it.
your observant, too bad really because they do have some real fans.

Last edited by GSMguy; 09/05/2007 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09/05/2007, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

GSMguy,

It's on a 75. It took 2 or 3 weeks before it really started cranking.
Old 09/05/2007, 12:14 PM
pwn3d by skimzor

Quote:
Originally posted by jmkins
Really, every time the Remora comes up you guys are the most vocal. What does that say?

I will admit that the remora hob pretty much sucks.
it says the same thing you just admitted....

THE REMORA HOB PRETTY MUCH SUCKS

i couldnt have said it better.

and your right, you should just buy a skimmer with all the features you mentioned, instead of having to modify them into the design, is there one available though???
Old 09/05/2007, 02:19 PM
One Good Friend

Yes, i would say bermuda has dropped the ball in customer service at this point in time. I'm very disapointed as it could be the best hot skimmer out there but no one will get one if they won't reply back to you. There's been two guys in there forum that asked questions about the rogue and still nothing.....two weeks later. Pretty sad.
Old 09/06/2007, 09:41 AM
Registered Member

yeah, I told them that I bought a Tunze instead. Tunze has shown interest in their customers. Guess what kind of response we got? Apologies for not helping and not coming around? Of course not, its Bermuda! The same cocky responses spew from the place. Response was good luck with the Tunze I hear they clog and have less contact time! I can't believe these people.
Old 09/06/2007, 09:43 AM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by chirojosh
yeah, I told them that I bought a Tunze instead. Tunze has shown interest in their customers. Guess what kind of response we got? Apologies for not helping and not coming around? Of course not, its Bermuda! The same cocky responses spew from the place. Response was good luck with the Tunze I hear they clog and have less contact time! I can't believe these people.
thats about right...
Old 09/06/2007, 10:58 AM
Registered Member

Has anyone attempted a diy hot skimmer?
Old 09/06/2007, 11:30 AM
One Good Friend

The best DIY hot skimmer would be a recirc behind your tank modded.
Old 09/06/2007, 04:47 PM
El Jefe de WRS

I make better HOT skimmers than 95% of whats out there. luke33 is right, the best HOT is simply a recirc standing behind the tank with its outlet spilling back into the tank. Think about it.
Old 09/08/2007, 02:42 AM
Registered Member

[IMG][img=http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/6260/skimmaterw1.th.jpg][/IMG]

I'm actually sorry to be bumping this thread up again. The pic on the left if what I got within 4 hrs of cleaning my remora; the right is about 12 hrs later.

I dump the cup on this thing every other day and my tank isn't stocked heavily at all. Every time it is the same people that hate on the remora when hob threads come up and dont really give any alternatives that have been successful without a bunch of mods or a higher sticker cost. There is a cost/effectiveness ratio that most people consider when making a skimmer purchase.

Personally, I have been in the hobby for 3 yrs and want begin to keep more fish and more sps in a 75-90 g tank so I intend to upgrade from a remora to a tunze 9010. I've tried comparable skimmers before and realized that I didn't have more to skim out than my remora was pulling anyways. j

Like I said the remora sucks, but that is in comparison to all the other hob skimmers out there. I never have had to worry about an overflow with this skimmer which is a big concern to me as a renter. I cant risk the $40 that I'd save on a skimmer that has had, or might have, problems that will cost me a ton in the long run.

Last edited by jmkins; 09/08/2007 at 02:47 AM.