Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/31/2007, 02:58 PM
Premium Member

mrbncal - That's a good suggestion. We thought about that, but the overflow sticks out a good 5 inches. I wouldn't be able to direct the koralias any other way than straight forward.
Old 12/31/2007, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

Ahhhhh.....well that answers my question.
Old 12/31/2007, 04:32 PM
Girls Rule!

love the aquascaping! =)
Old 12/31/2007, 04:51 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NanoGurl
love the aquascaping! =)
Thanks! I hate to do it, but only because it takes so much time to get it right. I find that buying large pieces of live rock makes aquascaping a little easier - it already looks natural. It's the small pieces that can't be arranged any way other than in a pile!
Old 01/01/2008, 01:33 AM
Premium Member

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!!!!!!

I spent the night making dry ice bombs and I didn't blow a single finger off!!!!!! Good night!
Old 01/01/2008, 02:03 AM
Registered Member

Those are fun. The best bottles are the 20 oz. I tried the 3L thinking it would be louder, weak.
Old 01/01/2008, 03:26 AM
Registered Member

Happy New Year!

Well jcpatella, I've been silently following along and I've got to say that you've done a really nice job!

This thread is also very entertaining...Lol

Love the aquascaping, I wish i could do something better with my 60gal like you did with yours...Right now I'm just trying to deal with a cyano(sp?) outbreak......

One good thing is that today I have gotten rid of a devil-like damsel that was terrorizing everything in the tank, especially my beloved Dragon Goby (YIPPEEE!) and I have gotten my first polyp (a Green Star Polyp) that was propagated by my Dad(KyleO) from his 210gal tank on Saturday. To my excitement, it's doing better each day

Anyway, great setup. Keep all of us updated with information and pictures!
Old 01/01/2008, 06:51 AM
Registered Member

Happy New Year
Old 01/01/2008, 09:46 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Silverfin

Well jcpatella, I've been silently following along and I've got to say that you've done a really nice job!
Thanks! I'm glad you got that damsel out of the tank. Those cheap fish sure can cause some expensive damage!

I hope you've enjoyed the thread so far. There isn't too much left to do other than add fish and corals, so if you have any input when that time comes, please chime in!
Old 01/01/2008, 09:59 PM
Premium Member

I'm trying to decide on the 'centerpiece' fish for the tank. I'd love to get an angel, but I had a nasty experience with a flame angel I added to my 55g a few months ago. Let's just say he had a very strong taste for coral, which was a risk I thought I was willing to take! Never again!

Anyway, I want to add ONE tang to my 90g. I've been slimming the selection based on recommended tank size and difficulty level. I'm not interested in scopas or sailfins and I'd rather not get a yellow. Here are the three that I've drilled down to. (by the way, the pictures are from www.liveaquaria.com )

Brown Tang.

Purple Tang.

Pacific Blue (Hippo) Tang.

I've been extremely hesitant to post anything about tangs this far, because I know how quickly it turns threads for the worse, so please limit responses to personal experiences and NO HOSTILITY PLEASE!!!!
Old 01/01/2008, 10:08 PM
Girls Rule!

I love the powder brown tangs! If not for my powder blue, I would have a powder brown.

My only suggestion from personal experience if you have a tang in a 4' tank is to limit your amount of LR. Leave lots of crevices a full grown tang can move in and out of, and try to leave space around all sides of the glass so it can circle. The more open space the better.

When I did my LR I failed to realize how much a PBT would move in and out of the LR. I thought they prefered open space and swam out in the open at all times... I was wrong. My PBT loves to swim in and out of the rockwork... almost like an angel... but not quite as much.
Old 01/01/2008, 10:15 PM
Registered Member

Even though I have no clue on its character, I think the purple tang looks awesome!

72 Gal bowfront
SunPod 2x150W 14K HQI-MH w/ 18 Lunar Lights
Tidepool II w/ Euro-Reef RS-100
Osmolator Universal 3155
2 Hydor Koralia 3 @ 850 gph
Old 01/01/2008, 10:18 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NanoGurl
When I did my LR I failed to realize how much a PBT would move in and out of the LR. I thought they prefered open space and swam out in the open at all times... I was wrong. My PBT loves to swim in and out of the rockwork... almost like an angel... but not quite as much.
We purposefully put a lot of caves in the live rock. There is a little bit of open space behind the live rock also (for hiding).

By the way, we LOVE your powder blue (Ocean), but we don't plan on upgrading any time soon. One of the only places I can find the Powder Brown is online (liveaquaria.com or saltwaterfish.com). I haven't ordered anything live online, so I'm hesitant.
Old 01/01/2008, 10:19 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by navychief
Even though I have no clue on its character, I think the purple tang looks awesome!
So do I, but I've yet to see one in person that looks like that picture. They're beautiful, though!
Old 01/01/2008, 10:34 PM
Registered Member

Go with the PURPLE TANG!

This one is the least likely to get ick. The hippo tang will be an ick magnet.

This tang will stay a reasonably good size that won't get too large or too large for the tank size that you have.

Another thing to consider is that the purple tang can be aggressive at times, but just remember, any fish can be aggressive!

And I just love the color of the purple tang!

If I had the size tank that you have I would go for this fish but I only have a 65 gallon (well my tank is still in the process)!
Old 01/01/2008, 10:50 PM
Registered Member

Is a Powder Brown too much for a 90G? I'm putting together a 90G as well. I was thinking about a Yellow Eye Kole, but recently I started looking at the Magnificent Foxface. I figured the Powder Brown Tang would be too cramped.
Old 01/01/2008, 10:54 PM
Premium Member

Ok, I won't say anything about a Tang, in a 90 gallon tank....

I have 5 large tangs in our 500, all get along well. probably the most aggressive would be the Powder Blue, followed by the Purple, Blue, Black and last the Kole. All will eat from my hand.

I added a Shoal about 6 months ago, never will do that again. He tore up everybody, including my foxface. took me 2 weeks to trap him.

Here are the sizes

Blue 9+"
Powder Blue 6+"
Black 4+"
Purple 4+"
Kole 4"
Foxface 8+"

Myself I really like the black, but they can be hard to come by. Any one of the tangs you suggested would be a good addition. Each tang has their own personally, and an enjoyment..

Rick
Old 01/01/2008, 11:06 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by jcpatella
We purposefully put a lot of caves in the live rock. There is a little bit of open space behind the live rock also (for hiding).

By the way, we LOVE your powder blue (Ocean), but we don't plan on upgrading any time soon. One of the only places I can find the Powder Brown is online (liveaquaria.com or saltwaterfish.com). I haven't ordered anything live online, so I'm hesitant.
Thanks! I <3 Ocean too. I've seen browns local here two times... both times it took a lot not to buy them lol.

Yea, I made a lot of caves/crevices too.. but not the size for my tang! It was just something that I had noticed and thought I would mention =)

It's a shame the tangs are so large and aggressive. There are so many pretty ones. Time to upgrade to that 120g yet? lol jk!

I got Ocean online from Live Aquaria. The Divers Den is a great place to buy online but actually be able to see the exact fish.. but you'd probably have to wait awhile.

I agree about the blue tang... ich magnets and more trouble then they are worth.
Old 01/01/2008, 11:12 PM
TRC Leader

I think the Powder Brown is the prettiest of the three. And I would not put a Hippo in my tank again.
Old 01/01/2008, 11:22 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
I think the Powder Brown is the prettiest of the three. And I would not put a Hippo in my tank again.
w3rd up Marky boi!
Old 01/01/2008, 11:24 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crt81
Go with the PURPLE TANG!

This one is the least likely to get ick. The hippo tang will be an ick magnet.
My wife's personal favorite is the purple. She's been such a great reef partner this far, so I'm leaning towards the purple or the brown.

I keep hearing ick stories about the hippo, and I'd rather steer clear of that if possible!
Old 01/01/2008, 11:30 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ricks
Ok, I won't say anything about a Tang, in a 90 gallon tank....

Here are the sizes

Blue 9+"
Powder Blue 6+"
Black 4+"
Purple 4+"
Kole 4"
Foxface 8+"
Rick
Ricks - Thanks. That's a lot of helpful info. I come across hippos all the time, so it's unfortunate that I've become less and less interested!
Old 01/01/2008, 11:32 PM
TRC Leader

My purple looks nothing like the one you pictured. It looks like a bag of Crown Royal.

Old 01/01/2008, 11:33 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I actually just watched the video on your site www.melevsreef.com where you trapped TUCKER!!!!! I didn't know hippos would terrorize zoas!
Old 01/01/2008, 11:35 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
My purple looks nothing like the one you pictured. It looks like a bag of Crown Royal.

That is a beautiful purple! That's the coloration I'm used to seeing. I don't know where liveaquaria got their picture, but I bet a lot of buyers are surprised when they receive this fish!