Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/27/2007, 05:33 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Here's the orchid dottyback, he's finally found a spot in the rockwork he likes, not siting still for pics though.

The YT is absolutely bonkers! I've never been a big fan of YTs (wife's choice) but this one seems to have some personality. Can not get a close up, as he's just all over the place! There's the OD near the bottom too.

Here's the left side of the tank with the YT and most of the fish crew. The Heinochus is eating vigorously but still not out and about

Old 01/28/2007, 09:05 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Here's an FTS. from yesterday It's like a new tank without all the HA.

I turned the MH lights off and still couldn't get a decent pic, I gotta read the owners manual for my camera, or something!

Old 01/30/2007, 01:22 PM
Team RC Member

Bax, why must you insult this intelligent audience? It's obvious that you are photoshopping your tank photos to give the illusion that your algae problem is a thing of the past .

But seriously, that is astounding! Does the sea hare eat bryopsis as well, or just the more common GHA?
Old 01/30/2007, 03:07 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

It is an amazing turn around isn't it?!?

I know that common wisdom says to look for your nutrient source, but it is also said the bad things happen in other wise healthy tanks. I feel that several factors led to this algal bloom.

New tank is on the list but not a driver, as I started this 240g system with over 300 pounds of well aged LR, two skimmers blasting away and lots of water changes, I did use all new sand so maybe there's something there?

It is possible it may have been sponge material from the very old LR dying off that did not like the move?

But what ever sparked it, I am certain that the algae was choking out my cleaning crew, possibly even releasing toxins to the system. I had a huge snail die off with the eruption of algae. It was a vicious cycle of snails dying & feeding the algae bloom, causing more algae and more dying snails and so on ...

Since the Sea Hare has knocked back the algae, I have snails on the glass and rock again.

This algae was not bryopsis, at least I was not convinced it was, maybe some else who has seen the pictures would chime in, but I have been thinking dinoflagalates (the brown stringy stuff) and some green turf algae dominated this event. So, I am not sure if the Sea Hare will eat bryopsis, but I can tell you mine does not seem picky at all.

... still smiling
Old 01/31/2007, 07:08 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

I just got my CO2 tank!

I can't wait to get my Ca reactor going!!!!

I got a new impeller and some special mesh that I'll be using to do a mesh mod to the ASM G4x skimmer. From what I've read in the DIY forum on this mod, this skimmer should blow the top off the collection cup, can't wait!!!

I am very hopeful that kicking my skimming up a notch will slam the door on my algae troubles ... fingers crossed .... still smiling
Old 01/31/2007, 06:12 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

This is the DIY thread I have been reading that has inspired a mod to an allready ars kicking ASM G4x skimmer:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1005653

I don't have the nads to chop up a $60 needle wheel impeller so I had to buy a $29 stock paddle impeller to play with this mesh mod idea. Some people are getting awesome results with basic skimmers.
Old 02/01/2007, 05:53 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

I did not even post this in the log, but back on January 18th, my VorTech spun the bearing on the wet end of the unit.

I contacted EchoTech through the forum hear on RC an was told to email customer service at IceCap, which I finally did on Monday. Yesterday I received a replacement bearing set. The VorTech is back in the tank running well and absolutely silently. The first start up back when I first got it had a vibration period that broke in after a few days, this set up is quiet. Great customer service at IceCap!

I am lucky to have been collecting Tunzes for my home system so I had a 6060 to hold up the flow while the VorTech was out of commission. I think the VorTech is way more diffused flow JMO.
Old 02/01/2007, 06:27 PM
Registered Member

Started off good but you could see in the photos that you have a nutrient export problem, phos. Try more water changes and better skimming. Add a black or blue backround and put those heaters in the sump. Good luck
Old 02/01/2007, 10:19 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Thanks for the input Randy

PO4 tests 0 with a Deltec/Merck test kit

I run a TLF 150 g Phosban reactor

I have skimmed hard from the start and plan to improve my G4x skimmer with a mesh mod ASAP.
Old 02/05/2007, 08:11 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Our arctic temperatures (at least by our standards) that began this weekend here in northern New Jersey are causing me some grief.

As a reminder, we just moved into this office/shop in August, so this is my first winter in this building. And, as with every new commercial rental space, it has its own issues in terms of electricity, plumbing, cooling and heating. And, this is a very old industrial building. It's not like keeping a reef in a home, that is for sure.

It was a bear keeping the tank cool and humidity down during the summer, and controlling temps now is proving to be no easier.

My personal office, where the tank is located, is heated by two electric baseboards. As luck would have it, the one on the outside wall, the wall that's mostly windows, crapped out last week.

I left heat on in the office behind mine and above mine, I have three 250 watt heaters that are in the display, as well as two in the fuge, but the temps still dropped to 74.5 (that I know of) and that wasn't in the deep cold of say 5 to 6 AM. This morning it was 4 deg in my driveway and 55 in my office when I got here, (with ice on the inside of the windows) the tank was right at 75 deg (74.9 in the display and 74.6 in the fuge). I located another space heater for now and will try to get my other baseboard heater replaced ASAP.

As far as I can tell, the only casualty, so far, was my Sea Hare. Fortunately, it died out in the open where I could retrieve it. Made my skimmer go nuts for a few hours, hopefully that all the hit I'll take form this.

As for my corals, I have never seen such polyp extension as they were showing this morning when I arrived and the lights were still out. So I guess they are none the worse for the wear?

So, I'll be putting a couple more heaters in there today until after the deep freeze passes?
Old 02/07/2007, 09:32 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

I am very happy as I just spotted by purple linka star for the first time since this weekends deep freeze event in my tank.

At the same time, my heniocus butterfly that had been doing so well just withered since that episode and I found him dead on the bottom this morning. I had one HB for two years before this move, lost it to ick right after the move. This was the third one to suddenly die on me since the move, the other two died in QT. I suspect cold temps may have played a roll in those deaths too. (this old building gives me fits with temp control) The first two looked well right up until the died, this one did seem to struggle after the cold snap?
Old 02/07/2007, 02:51 PM
Team RC Member

Wow, too bad about your HB (and the sea hare), so sorry to hear. How many heaters do you have on that tank, and were they working?

Have you had any resurgence of algae since the loss of the sea hare?
Old 02/07/2007, 04:54 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

I had three 250w VisTherm heaters in the display. I placed them there and not in the sump or fuge so that I'd have some protection against really cold nights for the display. All seem to be working they are adjusted so one comes on then another and then the third. I also have two 150 w heaters in the fuge.

I added another 200 watter and cranked it and that seems to help holding the temp. That and that it's no longer 4 degs out side.

I am saddened by the loss of the King of Algae as well but over all I feel very lucky. My understanding is the 74 and below is the death zone and I am sure it was there during the night.

As far as the HB goes. My first one was so healthy for so long, I don't know what to make of these troubles I am having with QT'ing and introducing another!?

Thanks though, a little sympathy is always welcome.
Old 02/07/2007, 05:06 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Quote:
Originally posted by Dudester

Have you had any resurgence of algae since the loss of the sea hare?
Forgot to answer this part ... Not yet.

I thing the addition of the yellow tang is part of the reason as my foxface is stuffing himself as never before to be sure he gets more of the available algae

But also, while the King was still around, I noticed an overall change in my skimate production. Less, darker skim. My water is crystal clear ... I am hopeful whatever was feeding the algae has passed.

I will wait a week or two and begin replenishing my cleanup crew as it is down to some cerinths and nassarus for snails, that's it. All the turbos, astreas, nerites are all gone two $140 reeftopia orders .... flush.

Sometimes, in this hobby, you just have to put your darth glasses on
Old 02/08/2007, 05:54 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

So now, one of my Tunzes the 6100 seized up. I have it soaking in vinegar maybe that'll do the trick, if not, I'll get to check out Tunzes customer service next!

... of course, I have a spare so there's no interruption in flow
Old 02/08/2007, 06:51 PM
Registered Member

Beautiful tank Bax, and great thread so far. I love all of the pictures and you really stuck with the updates. I cant imagine working in an office for one, but if I did and it was yours I wouldnt get a thing done lol.
Old 02/08/2007, 08:02 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Thanks Rjukan

I hope some folks learn from my mistakes and enjoy the tanks as well. And it helps me keep track of what's been going on.

I spend a lot, I mean a lot, of time out of the office, Well, outside actually, so it makes it hard to do maintenance and find time to , just look and enjoy.

But, it's worth it.

When I get our company web site up it'll have a 24/7 reef cam on it.
Old 02/09/2007, 09:26 AM
Registered Member

Your tank is fantastic looking. I really enjoy the pics.
Old 02/09/2007, 09:30 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Thank you yiliyang

I really enjoy putting them out there , just wish I was a better photographer
Old 02/12/2007, 10:38 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

I caught my Midas Blenny just waking up this morning, he has a cubby hole under my purple monti.

Old 02/13/2007, 09:10 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Here's an FTS from last night. MHs just shut off and I used a flash, it's a little better then my last failed attempt at an FTS. I have really have got to spend some tine with my camera manual and figure out what all these buttons are for!

I moved a coral or two and brought some frags over from the prop section.

I am toying with upgrading my 175 MH to 250s or 400s. I have a 400 ballast already so I would only need to get some bulbs and I'd be in buisness.

Old 02/13/2007, 02:47 PM
Team RC Member

Really looking good these days, Bax. Nice pics.
Old 02/13/2007, 03:19 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Thanks

Your office tank is amazing! Your installers are top notch!
Old 02/13/2007, 03:51 PM
Team RC Member

Yeah, and they're good guys to boot.
Old 02/13/2007, 05:15 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Here's the left side of the tank. There is basically no hair algae evident except for in the return nozzle, I don't know why the YT and fox face don't like that? I'll have to change the nozzle for a clean one.