Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/20/2007, 10:35 AM
Registered Member

If I change reflectors there is no way I could fit them in the half circle fixture I made. I could easily make the luminarcs look nice with just lifted panels.
While doing some research this morning, I'm seeing alot of t-5 stuff. Can t-5 be mounted 12 to 14" over the water on a 14" deep tank?

Don
Old 09/20/2007, 03:49 PM
DIY Junkie

T5's are best mounted close to the water surface. I'm sure you could mount them high, but you'll lose some PAR doing it that way. If you put enough T5's over it to compensate for light lost you should be fine.
Old 09/21/2007, 02:28 AM
Registered Member

What are the measurements of the new tank you are building?

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 09/21/2007, 07:08 AM
Premium Member

The wierd things you think about when you are lying in bed sleeping....

Probably the best thing you could do for this new system is modify your design to allow you to use the Luminarc reflectors. In my experience, adding these reflectors to my setup has made the biggest impact. I've seen greater growth and improved health of all the inhabitants of my system. Take it for what it is worth, but from seeing the quality of workmanship and materials you are using in this setup, I'd hate for you to settle on litterally inferior reflectors.
Old 09/21/2007, 08:38 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by erics3000
What are the measurements of the new tank you are building?
Tank is odd sized. 48 L 18 W 14 H The foot print with "gutters" is 53 x 22.5.

I think I'm just going to set the lights off to the side and finish the tank. That will give me a little more time to decide what to do. The little Luminarcs seem like a good option that can easiy be modified with some panels to match the stand.

I dont know how lighting is going to effect the look of the top meaning the waters surface. I do think a dark spot would make a difference but I'm not sure. Ive also never seen one of these tanks in person.

Don
Old 09/21/2007, 09:02 AM
Premium Member

Don,

they are very nice to look at. However, fish tend to end up in the gutter every night. I don't think that will be a problem with larger fish.
Old 09/21/2007, 09:35 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BeanAnimal
Don,

they are very nice to look at. However, fish tend to end up in the gutter every night. I don't think that will be a problem with larger fish.
I've spoke to every vendor and ever owner I could find. This seems to be more of a misconception than anything else. There are fish that need to be avoided but their not anything I would keep anyways. Ive never had a tank this small either so will probably just house a few small tangs. Ive got a purple, sail, and a couple clowns now and will probably just find a home for the sail since hes about 8" now. My real interest is clams, thus why I want to lighting and good top down viewing.
I'll probably keep a few sps but mostly clams.

Don
Old 09/21/2007, 01:42 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
This seems to be more of a misconception than anything else.

We [our club] just hosted MACNA last weekend. Every morning the vendors cleaned up dead fish from the gutters and carpet. Clown fish, blennies, gobies, etc.. many took the plunge during the event, right in front of people. I am not speaking from anecdote, I saw it first hand.

Again, most of the carpet surfers I saw were small fish (damsel size).

These tanks make very wonderful clam tanks! That is another excuse to find a way to retro in a few good reflectors

Last edited by BeanAnimal; 09/21/2007 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09/21/2007, 01:46 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

Sorry to blatantly disagree... but we [our club] just hosted MACNA last weekend. Every morning the vendors cleaned up dead fish from the gutters and carpet. Clown fish, blennies, gobies, etc.. many took the plunge during the event, right in front of people. I am not speaking from anecdote, I saw it first hand.

Again, most of the carpet surfers I saw were small fish (damsel size).

These tanks make very wonderful clam tanks! That is another excuse to find a way to retro in a few good reflectors
Dont be sorry, no offense taken. All my info is second hand and so much of it is from resellers. You know how that goes.

Don
Old 09/21/2007, 01:52 PM
Premium Member

Just want to ensure that you know what to expect. All of the tanks had sponge filters in the gutter drains. I suspect you could take them out and give the fish a chance to make it to the sump. However I think many hit the gutter and begin to panic and flop... going over the edge onto the floor.

Very pretty tanks, I am just convinced that they need larger fish.
Old 09/21/2007, 02:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Just want to ensure that you know what to expect. All of the tanks had sponge filters in the gutter drains. I suspect you could take them out and give the fish a chance to make it to the sump. However I think many hit the gutter and begin to panic and flop... going over the edge onto the floor.

Very pretty tanks, I am just convinced that they need larger fish.
I'm not very PC when it comes to fish, might just keep the sail and loose the clowns if thats the case.
I really dont want any sponges, only because I know myself and they wont get cleaned.

Thanks for the heads up
Don
Old 09/25/2007, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

Just a quicky update so the thread doesnt get to burried. As you can see the stand has become more of a workbench. I'm working on sculpting the top here wihile the rest ties up my work bench.

Old 09/26/2007, 01:29 AM
Registered Member

don great thread. give ur grandson some more pennies
Old 09/26/2007, 07:34 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
give ur grandson some more pennies
ooh, ouch!
Old 09/26/2007, 04:49 PM
Ozone Sniffer

Red Xs for me, Don. No pics.

"Be sure and wear a speedo lest tangs nest in your britches"
Old 09/26/2007, 04:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by H20ENG
Red Xs for me, Don. No pics.
Sorry I had the server temporarily redirected. Should work now.

Don
Old 09/26/2007, 04:59 PM
Ozone Sniffer

Thanks Don, looking nice. Hand scraping?

"Be sure and wear a speedo lest tangs nest in your britches"
Old 09/26/2007, 08:20 PM
Moved On

omg!!! this must be the single nicest setup i have EVER seen and i sincerely mean that. i was half tempted to do that whole sentence in all caps lol. i cant wait to see it finished. what do you plan on keeping in there? you could do this to others tanks and sell them, if i were rich i'd buy it
Old 09/26/2007, 08:38 PM
Premium Member

"Hand scraping?"

Hand scraping is a mean to smooth wood...a much more pleasant alternative to sandpaper. Much quieter and much less messy, and arguably (I certainly think so) give a much better finish. Look in the pics he posted above, the scraper is the piece of metal in both the pictures. You polish the edges of the scraper and burnish a hook on the edges to create a burr. The then hold the scraper with both hand and flex the scraper to control the aggressiveness of the cut. Once you're proficient at creating the burr you can have a panel prepped for finishing much quicker than working up through the grits in sandpaper.
Old 09/27/2007, 12:08 PM
Moved On

if you were closer, I would volunteer to work as an apprentice for free. and I mean apprentice in the all fashioned meaning...

I would sweep the floors, scrape the ducts and vents, scrub the toilets, whatever it takes to show my intent to want to be near and learn everything you could share...

Your work is amazing, and is a great blend of old and new technologies and technieques...

Bill
Old 09/27/2007, 12:28 PM
Premium Member

Thumbs up

wow Don Very nice work
Old 10/02/2007, 02:22 PM
Registered Member

You may have noticed I trashed the server and lost all my pics. I cant go back and fix the links so most of the past pics have been reposted in my "little red house".

Sorry
Don
Old 10/02/2007, 06:54 PM
Registered Member

OMG... you didn't throw a whole jar of pennies in your server did you?
Old 10/02/2007, 07:13 PM

That's cool Don. It happens! Besides, I was interested in seeing the stuff you sell. I am trying to implement a float switch/timer activated solenoid to re-direct my RO/DI effluent to the drain for the first few minutes to avoid the TDS spike during start up.

I have a SpectraPure LLC with solenoid and booster pump which works well, but it does not deal with the startup TDS. And I would like to find a TDS meter that records so I can see if there is any fluctuation in what is going into my tank.
Old 10/02/2007, 07:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hebygb
OMG... you didn't throw a whole jar of pennies in your server did you?
Thats what happens when you let people like me mess around with things like that. Some day I'll learn to do backups.

Don