Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/30/2007, 02:17 PM
TRC Leader

How much of the rock is live rock, and how much is base rock? Your mandarin looks pretty thin unfortunately. It needs more pods, a lot of them.
Old 08/30/2007, 05:36 PM
Registered Member

I have over 200 pounds of live rock-all is live rock no base rock. Also have alot of live rock in the sump.I also check on the Mandarin regulary and he seems okay,he also eats mysis shrimp time to time.Whe I bought him I bought one that the supplier showed me he ate mysis.
Old 08/30/2007, 10:23 PM
TRC Leader

When you can see the bone structure along the side of the fish, it is malnourished. It should be rounded and fat, like this one.

Old 08/30/2007, 10:51 PM
They Found Nemo

as he said hes starting to eat mysis and cyclopsis now so well see if we can fatten him up
Old 08/31/2007, 07:58 AM
Registered Member

That is a beautiful fish, I really see the difference, Im going to try to enclose him in a large clear cup and try feeding him by himself
Old 09/05/2007, 08:49 AM
Registered Member

Hi every one had 2 problems with the tank. First the Solaris light not working properly the solar and timer not working so I called pfo and spoke to Pat and they are sending me a new one. Great customer service and Pat was great. Should have a new one in 5 days and they are letting me hold on to the old one till I get the new one. When it does work and light is on the colors and the corals look fantastic It really does make a difference. They think the sensor for temp in hood not working properly. Second I cracked the 40g br sump-refrig I silicone it for now seems to be holding and Im going to try to get a acylic sump instead to try to prevent any cracking in future, with the big return pump and movement or shifting during maintance can crack it again. Im want to avoid that again. I cracked it while servicing the return pump.
Old 09/05/2007, 11:45 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mbaychuk
Hi every one had 2 problems with the tank. First the Solaris light not working properly the solar and timer not working so I called pfo and spoke to Pat and they are sending me a new one. Great customer service and Pat was great. Should have a new one in 5 days and they are letting me hold on to the old one till I get the new one. When it does work and light is on the colors and the corals look fantastic It really does make a difference. They think the sensor for temp in hood not working properly. Second I cracked the 40g br sump-refrig I silicone it for now seems to be holding and Im going to try to get a acylic sump instead to try to prevent any cracking in future, with the big return pump and movement or shifting during maintance can crack it again. Im want to avoid that again. I cracked it while servicing the return pump.

bummer on both problems. Hopefully the re-installation of your new acrylic sump will be uneventful. Makes me wonder what if I had to replace my sump and all those connections (arrgghh...) GL

Old 09/05/2007, 01:56 PM
They Found Nemo

lucky theres not that many and the sump can slide right out the front of the stand
Old 09/07/2007, 08:54 PM
They Found Nemo

there is so sad news to report. my uncle told me he found the regal angle dead today under a rock. he think the rock might have fell and crushed it. he also thinks the sailfin tang may have ick. bad luck i guess
Old 09/09/2007, 09:36 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mbaychuk
plumbing

new sump with big refugeium

the rest are of the move

just enough clearence

tv on opposite wall

thats it for now

Looks like you have four drains instead of two. Just trying to understand. Are your supplies over the top?

TIA
Old 09/09/2007, 09:49 PM
They Found Nemo

yes they are if you look in the thread youll see it somewhere i think. on a good note the ick is starting to clear up
Old 09/19/2007, 08:52 AM
Registered Member

Okay i got the replacement light from pfo and its working great and i got the solar cycel to work great. The ick in the tank cleared up on all the fish but the blue tang, but he seems to be improving. Lost a few fish, but the tanks seems to returning to normal. I think the transfer from the 125g to 210g stressed the fish out and caused the out break. I plan to start adding new corals and once the ick is gone from the blue tang adding a few more fish. Waiting for my new acrylic sump from melev to replace the cracked sump.I went to macna and checked into the hotel but had to return home because my daughter ended up in the hospital. Glad shes fine but Im sure I missed a great expo, any picture would be appreciated. Thanks Mark
Old 09/19/2007, 09:46 AM
TRC Leader

Hi Mark, sorry to hear about your daughter. There are two threads stickied in the Lounge Forum and the Reef Discussion forum with pictures from MACNA. Also there's a thread called "What I learned at MACNA" that you might enjoy.
Old 09/19/2007, 01:46 PM
They Found Nemo

melev your pics make me want to sign up for Atlanta right now lol
Old 09/19/2007, 01:59 PM
TRC Leader

Do it now. Don't delay, because the price goes up in a few days. www.macnaxx.com
Old 09/19/2007, 02:13 PM
They Found Nemo

ill let him know and see what he says
Old 09/20/2007, 07:02 PM
Registered Member

Hi Melev the pictures were great I know I missed alot. I was really looking foward to see all the new technology. I was also really interesed in seeing calcium reactors , I want to add 1 to the 210g, I never had one with the 125g. If you have any suggestions I would appreciate it. I don't know much about them.
Old 09/20/2007, 07:53 PM
TRC Leader

Well, my only experience has been with my Lifereef VS-24, which has worked great for 3 years. I heard you were interested in Geo's, and they were stunning. You saw the picture of their stuff in my pictures and I doubt you'd be disappointed.
Old 09/20/2007, 08:16 PM
They Found Nemo

that is the one we are interested in getting the geo 6x18
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch..._Code=creactor
a couple of questions on them i sort of understand how they work but dose anyone have a simply way of understanding it? also i think we need a ph controler 10lbs co2 tank solonid a feed and media. is that all?
Old 09/20/2007, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

Is that naked barbie in one of the pics syblimynol messaging?
Old 09/20/2007, 09:07 PM
They Found Nemo

lol no the baby left her on the couch to watch over the tank move. good observation though lol
Old 09/20/2007, 09:24 PM
TRC Leader

There are some good articles on it. Here's one that might help:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-0...ture/index.php

In a nutshell, you use CO2 to drop the pH inside the reactor to 6.5. That is the level where the media dissolves into liquid. A circulation pump is connected to the reactor to keep the water moving within it 24/7. A much smaller pump is used to push water into the reactor from the reef, and the water coming out of the reactor is called the 'effluent.' This effluent is usally set to drip into the tank, although I have mine flowing in a tiny stream. Alkalinity coming out of a calcium reactor tends to be very high (as much as 30 dKH), which is why it is dripped into the reef.

I use a pH controller with mine, which measures the pH of the effluent (water coming out of the reactor). Based on the setting I've selected, it turns the CO2 on and off as needed. Which means it is pretty much set it and forget it.
Old 09/20/2007, 09:32 PM
They Found Nemo

we are planning on a controler as well. we are going to order the reactor this weekend. well see how it goes. we have a t off the return so we might just use the t with a ball or gate valve to control the flow to this. btw we need more macna pics lol. you also have a pm
Old 09/20/2007, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

Melev great article thanks.
Old 09/22/2007, 05:33 PM
Registered Member

Hi evey one the new solaris working great and i got the auto solar fuction working great. The ick on all the fish cleared up except for my blue tang. Im going to try a fresh water dip to kill the ick off, I'm going to put him in for 4 minutes.