Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/12/2007, 09:47 PM
See Ya ;-)

Way to think it all out. Wonder what the special thing is...anybody have an active and inactive ingredients list they can post.

Grant
Old 06/12/2007, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

I just ordered more Kent Tech M, hopefully it will arrive this Friday. I'll test it out on my QT. Bryopsis is slowly making a comeback in my main tank. I just tested the magnesium in that tank and it's at 1410. I'll update this thread with my results after I get more Tech M.
Old 06/12/2007, 11:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Travis
TWallace, that is very interesting. Thanks for sharing and please keep us updated. Maybe there is something extra in the Tech M or maybe there is something lacking in the mag flake.
Nash, mine was done with an accidental overdose of epsom salts. So I don't think the type of MG has anything to do with it, unless Tech M is just Epsom salts in a bottle with some RO water, which is entirely possible
Old 06/13/2007, 06:17 AM
Registered Member

Below are the contents listed for Tech M by Kent Marine. There are lots of components and it is probably this combination that makes the magic! I have found a mailorder firm where I can get this stuff, so I will give it a try. In general, their products are an interesting range.

Contents:

deionized water containing the following elements (as ions): magnesium, chlorine, sulfur, calcium, potassium, bromine, strontium, boron, fluorine, lithium, rubidium, iodine, iron, molybdenum, zinc, nickel, copper, manganese, vanadium, cesium, cobalt, tungsten, selenium, and chromium.
Old 06/13/2007, 07:39 AM
Beware of the LE curse!

So is everyone using tech-m solution, or has anybody tried the magnesium chlorise and sulfate mixture on twopartsolutions.com....? Just wondering, if its possible to use this being how cheap it is!

Thanks
Old 06/13/2007, 08:01 AM
See Ya ;-)

Cheap is not always better...that is one of the biggest problem with the hobby. Quality has dropped off so much due to wanting cheaper products, what do you get from cheaper products... but the crap you paid for.

I say if the spendy product works, go with what works. I am waiting for the answer to the Tech M that is being tested. Seems like it is the answer as of the moment.

Grant
Old 06/13/2007, 08:13 AM
Beware of the LE curse!

Well, these products are cheaper because they and not name brand, and bulk....this site is a reefcentral sponsor, so i dont think they are selling crap! Just wanted to know if someone who has tried this method has used anyone of these methods, instead of tech-m.......Dont know if its cheaper but definently get a lot more for money! But have to mix it yourself...i perfer diy compared too spending money....saved quite a bit this way, as a lot of reefers have, and will..... So i agree cheap is not always good, but a good break is always nice in this hobby! So yes i will try a deal if it doesnt work then ill spend more the next time!
Old 06/13/2007, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fusch13
So is everyone using tech-m solution, or has anybody tried the magnesium chlorise and sulfate mixture on twopartsolutions.com....? Just wondering, if its possible to use this being how cheap it is!

Thanks
Are my posts invisible? I used epsom salts and they wiped out my Bryopsis. I think they only reason you're seeing a lot of people using the Tech-M is because it's the most widely available Mg supplement.
Old 06/13/2007, 01:59 PM
Beware of the LE curse!

I read your, i actually read the entire post, but i saw people saying just epsom salt wasnt good. how much did you use? i have a 92 gallon
Old 06/13/2007, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

In my experience, Mag Flake alone isn't working to kill bryopsis, though it is raising the levels above 1600. Tech M alone did kill bryopsis for me. Maybe I'll give Epsom salt a shot. I ordered Tech M from Marine Depot, but it's on back order and won't ship until next week.
Old 06/13/2007, 02:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I read your, i actually read the entire post, but i saw people saying just epsom salt wasnt good. how much did you use? i have a 92 gallon
The worry with Epsom salts is that it will elevate Sulphate levels. Again, this was an accidental overdose and I added enough to boost my Mg levels to over 2000ppm (64 oz. container in a 130 gallon system), though I saw no ill effects.
Old 06/13/2007, 02:07 PM
Beware of the LE curse!

where do you pick this up from, did a search and all i came up with was epsom salt for baths! HAHA
Old 06/13/2007, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

Pretty sure grocery stores sell it.
Old 06/13/2007, 02:09 PM
Beware of the LE curse!

hmm, i might have to stop by and look....
Old 06/13/2007, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
where do you pick this up from, did a search and all i came up with was epsom salt for baths! HAHA
That's all it is, I used a generic brand from Walgreens.
Old 06/13/2007, 05:15 PM
Premium Member

I personally would not intentionally dose pure epsom salts to raise mg levels. Randy Holmes-Farley strongly discourages this due to the fact that sulfate will build up in the tank and can only be removed through water changes.

If you are looking for epsom salts to add to your mag flake to make a 10:1 solution you can find it at any pharmacy.
Old 06/13/2007, 07:53 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I personally would not intentionally dose pure epsom salts to raise mg levels. Randy Holmes-Farley strongly discourages this due to the fact that sulfate will build up in the tank and can only be removed through water changes.

If you are looking for epsom salts to add to your mag flake to make a 10:1 solution you can find it at any pharmacy.
Why are you recommending such a high dilution level when all recipes I have seen list 3 cups Epson salt to 5 cups magnesium chloride?

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php#11
Old 06/13/2007, 08:44 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrist
Why are you recommending such a high dilution level when all recipes I have seen list 3 cups Epson salt to 5 cups magnesium chloride?

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php#11
That is a link to making a 3 part solution for maintaining calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium. The solution I used is for raising magnesium only. I asked Randy a while back what ratio to use and that is what he said.
Old 06/13/2007, 10:00 PM
Red Bug Survivor 2006

Is anyone else having trouble with using Mag Flake for bryopsis issues? It seemas as though most success comes from Kent Mg. I've had my Mg at 1550-1600 for a month now an this stuff still continues to grow. Any ideas?

Click on the red house to view my build thread
Old 06/14/2007, 12:03 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TCU Reefer
Is anyone else having trouble with using Mag Flake for bryopsis issues? It seemas as though most success comes from Kent Mg. I've had my Mg at 1550-1600 for a month now an this stuff still continues to grow. Any ideas?
Boost it another 100-200ppm and see if that does it.
Old 06/14/2007, 07:43 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
That is a link to making a 3 part solution for maintaining calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium. The solution I used is for raising magnesium only. I asked Randy a while back what ratio to use and that is what he said.
Is anyone else using a 10:1 ratio? This article is for a three part solution for calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium but it was my understanding that you would always be adding them in different quantities anyway to keep your levels up. So if you just need to raise you calcium one week and everything else was ok you would then just add more calcium solution. It just doesn’t make sense to me that you couldn’t use one independently since you would never need to raise all levels equally.
Old 06/14/2007, 08:30 AM
Flea Slide

Quote:
Is anyone else using a 10:1 ratio? This article is for a three part solution for calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium but it was my understanding that you would always be adding them in different quantities anyway to keep your levels up. So if you just need to raise you calcium one week and everything else was ok you would then just add more calcium solution. It just doesn’t make sense to me that you couldn’t use one independently since you would never need to raise all levels equally.
It is all in the balance of chloride, sodium and sulfate ions.
If you use a two part based on calcium chloride, sodium bicarbonate (or carbonate) and Magnesium Sulfate/Chloride the use of a 5:3 ratio of Mg Chloride to Mg Sulfate better fits the balance required for those other ions.
If you use Another balanced method like Kalk or a Calcium reactor a 10:1 ratio of Mg Chloride to Mg Sulfate to supplement magnesium is better balance for the Chloride and Sulfate portions.
Old 06/14/2007, 08:35 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jdieck
It is all in the balance of chloride, sodium and sulfate ions.
If you use a two part based on calcium chloride, sodium bicarbonate (or carbonate) and Magnesium Sulfate/Chloride the use of a 5:3 ratio of Mg Chloride to Mg Sulfate better fits the balance required for those other ions.
If you use Another balanced method like Kalk or a Calcium reactor a 10:1 ratio of Mg Chloride to Mg Sulfate to supplement magnesium is better balance for the Chloride and Sulfate portions.
Damn, something else I did wrong. Thank for the clarification jdieck and thanks Travis for the correct ratio.
Old 06/14/2007, 09:46 AM
Flea Slide

Quote:
Damn, something else I did wrong. Thank for the clarification jdieck and thanks Travis for the correct ratio.
No sweat, your regular water changes will bring the balance back.
Old 06/21/2007, 08:15 PM
Registered Member

We used Kent Tech M on one of our maintenence clients 135g and it worked. The tank was becoming overwhelmed with Bryopsis. Over a one week period we raised Mg levels from 1100 up to 1400. Our intention was to hit 1500 or 1600 but we ran out of Tech M. Over the next 7 days about 90% of the bryopsis died. No ill effects on snails, shrimp, clams, SPS, LPS, Caulerpa, or GBTAs. We plan on resuming dosing and peaking a little higher as soon as we get more Mg.