Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/24/2005, 07:28 PM
Registered Member

his electricity bill probably comes in a box with that many halides.
Old 10/24/2005, 09:12 PM
Fish Tank Pimp

sweet tank.
Old 10/24/2005, 10:57 PM
Registered Member

Those that are critizing, get off your high horse. If you could do better, then prove it.

As Spazz stated, the owner didn't want to post because of comments like yours. If it works for him and the animals is healthy, thats fine.

Sure its great to critize to give feedback, but what is being said isn't giving good feedback if all the feedback is critizism. Apparently, almost every post from someone is an attack, an insult, or a flame regardless of what they believe. If that is negative, I do not know what warped world we are living in then.

Btw, the owner didn't post the pictures. Spazz posted it to share.
Old 10/25/2005, 12:07 AM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by sixxer
Spazz,

If you remember on your next trip, could you try and find out how much flow and what size tank he is using for the sponge tank? I really want to add one to my new system and trying to get as many details on a sponge tank as possible.

Thanks
i will add this to my growing list of questions. i think this is #5000 for the list. he he he he he
i think he will hate me after i question him for 4 hrs about his system. lolbut i will ask.
Old 10/25/2005, 04:49 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

i just saw the 1700gal BEAUTY today and seeing the 1700gal tank was AMAZING...to say the least !!!

UN-FRICKING-REAL!!!

i took 106 pictures and 5 movies. i need to see which ones turned out and start posting. anyone want to host the movies for me???

he was more then happy to show us (Travis and I) the whole works and explain all of it in pretty good detail. please don not ask me to recal every darn detail. i was drooling too bad and my mind was going 100mph. i'll answer what i can and this guy will come out sometime soon and answer everyones questions. he will not right now as they have a baby on the way and it wouldn't be fair to his family...did we mention he was a great family man? yeah we did.

well it is 4:45AM and i'm acclimating 10 corals that i brought home from my trip (only 1 from the 1700gal tank)..i need to sleep some before i got to work at 8:30am...good thing i slept 3-4hrs on the way home thanks for driving Travis and Krysee (did i spell it right ??? sorry if i didn't).

i'll post the pics tomorrow...and whoever wants to host hte movies let me know...i got some decent ones.

good night....a TIRED Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 10/25/2005, 09:14 AM
Registered Member

Lunchbucket, PM'ed ya.
Old 10/25/2005, 09:48 AM
Registered Member

The animals aren't healthy. At least the stingray isn't. look at the tail, you can already see where it's being chewed up from rubbing up against the rock.

And where does this if you can't do better than you can't talk thinking come from... so... if a guy is keeping say a pet lion in his living room I can't criticize because I can't afford a lion? If a guy is locking up six kids in wire cages...I can't criticize because I can't afford six kids?

BTW... no one is saying the tank as a whole is bad.. nothing of the sort, the tank is a beauty... it's just that a stingray isn't right in that sort of setup... it needs more swiming space than just the corners...it needs open sand...

Quote:
Originally posted by Psionicdragon
Those that are critizing, get off your high horse. If you could do better, then prove it.

As Spazz stated, the owner didn't want to post because of comments like yours. If it works for him and the animals is healthy, thats fine.

Sure its great to critize to give feedback, but what is being said isn't giving good feedback if all the feedback is critizism. Apparently, almost every post from someone is an attack, an insult, or a flame regardless of what they believe. If that is negative, I do not know what warped world we are living in then.

Btw, the owner didn't post the pictures. Spazz posted it to share.
Old 10/25/2005, 09:53 AM
Registered Member

this tank is unbelievable!
it's got MY vote for TOTM
what a dedicated reefer......again, unbelievable!

Hook'em Horns!

Currently dreaming of a 24x24x18 upgrade :P
Old 10/25/2005, 10:30 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by eugimon
so... if a guy is keeping say a pet lion in his living room I can't criticize because I can't afford a lion?
That's right, you can't. Well, you can if you're inconsiderate and rude.

I'm not sure what not being able to afford something has to do with common courtesy but whatever.. If someone is showing off something they are proud of (or someone is sharing something they have seen that they think is cool) it would be pretty rude to say something nasty or critical of it.

If someone posts and asks for critiques or help or constructive criticism of his setup and you post a critique or criticism then you are being helpful. Do you see the difference? Posting negatively in the first situation (showing, sharing) is inconsiderate, rude, uncalled for, and unwanted, where posting negatively in the second situation (asking for help finding problems or flaws) could be considered helpful (depending on the amount of tact and diplomacy you use of course.. typing anonymously rather than speaking face to face doesn't change basic rules of behaviour)

And on an unrelated note... WHAT AN AWESOME SETUP! I HAVE NOT SEEN A BETTER PRESENTED DISPLAY! I am looking forward to more detailed behind the scenes shots as well as closeups of the tank inhabitants.

"How much deeper would the ocean be without sponges?"
Old 10/25/2005, 10:44 AM
No Bonds in Oakland!!!!!!

well said rburn99. well said.
Old 10/25/2005, 12:07 PM
Registered Member

the purpose of posting here isn't simply to show off and brag, nor is it to only make fawning complimentary posts-there's nothing wrong with criticizing anything, if the criticism is valid

if criticism is frowned upon by posters, then they shouldn't post

as i said-it's a nice tank, but not appropriate for a stingray

or would y'all rather i compliment someone for not keeping an animal properly?
Old 10/25/2005, 12:28 PM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by vitz
the purpose of posting here isn't simply to show off and brag, nor is it to only make fawning complimentary posts-there's nothing wrong with criticizing anything, if the criticism is valid

if criticism is frowned upon by posters, then they shouldn't post

as i said-it's a nice tank, but not appropriate for a stingray

or would y'all rather i compliment someone for not keeping an animal properly?
the problem i have with your post is that i have personaly see this tank and this stingray. you have not. you cant get a grasp of the room in the tank by looking at a couple of pitures. there has already been alot of arguments as to the size of this or that. pictures make everything look smaller than they really are. that fish has tones of room all over the tank. that tank was aquascaped with the stingray in mind. we all know they need alot or room. and this is the first tank that i feel and im sure alot of other people feel, gives this stingray ample room to run around and tons of sand the hide in. this is one of the reasons why this tank is so big. he wanted a stingray, and he needed a large enough tank to house him in. i would concider this a better inviroment than a 2000g fish only tank. because it an eco system not just a tank with fish in it. its more of a natural enviorment to the stingray.
Old 10/25/2005, 12:33 PM
No Bonds in Oakland!!!!!!

like rburn99 said, not wrong. just rude.
When the onwer asks for you for your advice, then give it. until then let's sit back and dream about having this amazing tank for our own and what we would do with it.

And lets not forget that the owner did not post this. another reefer posted this with his permission and the owner will not post if he feels he will be attacked or overly criticized for what he has done. He looks like he knows what he was doing and he knows how to take care of his fish. not some Millionaire who wanted a neat fish tank and didn't care what it cost or what it was. I hope the owner of this tank is reading this and can see that for the most part people are very impressed with this system and want nothing more then to have a deeper insight on this remarkable system.

Last edited by Lordhelmet; 10/25/2005 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10/25/2005, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

i just don't get the (overly) defensive attitude of the posters whos tank this doesn't even belong to

the censor-like attitude does your intelligence a great disservice, imo

and i couldn't give a rat's patoot how well designed, or well-intended a design the tank was built with in mind, it's STILL not appropo for a blue spot ray

it's not really possible to even come close to what a ray needs with a privately built tank, unless it's 10' square, w 90% cruising/burying room

i'll let 10 years be the judge as to whether or not the tank was/is appropriate for a ray-if it's still alive by then, i'll concede that the tank is adequate for keeping one alive, and still not 'correct' and 'proper' for an animal of that type and size

y'all should stop misinterpreting a husbandry observation for a personal attack, it shows an extremely narrowminded perception of what you read
Old 10/25/2005, 02:44 PM
Registered Member

I have been a member for quite some time now, but never really post or look on the forum because of all the people who have no lives (or unhappy ones at that) and try to ruin everyone elses day by picking apart anything posted on the forums. It the comments arent positive keep them off the thread...it makes reading the threads a lot more enjoyable for the rest of us.
Old 10/25/2005, 02:59 PM
Registered Member

what have i posted that's either positive or negative? my statements are purely observatorial

as i've said before, it's a nice tank, and inappropriate for a ray

no picking apart of anything here

and who elected you house censor ?

since when did this BB become a fascist environment where posters determine what can or cannot be posted?

y'all are doing a far greater dis-service to the aquarium owner by playing 'enforcer' than by any other post/poster here

you don't agree with my statement bout the ray? fine by me

but don't presume to tell me what i can or cannot post, or what value my posts have or don't have for the poster

quite frankly, i don't care-i'm thinking about the ray's life and needs, not your fragile egos, so deal with it
Old 10/25/2005, 03:06 PM
Ancient Eskimo Legend

[flamealert]

"The wind blew, the detritus flew and then they came two by two."
Old 10/25/2005, 03:09 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lunchbucket
i just saw the 1700gal BEAUTY today and seeing the 1700gal tank was AMAZING...to say the least !!!

UN-FRICKING-REAL!!!

i took 106 pictures and 5 movies. i need to see which ones turned out and start posting. anyone want to host the movies for me???

i'll post the pics tomorrow...and whoever wants to host hte movies let me know...i got some decent ones.

good night....a TIRED Lunchbucket

Must have been quite a day for ya.....

Listen, have you found someone to host the videos for you yet..?? I've got a couple of names for you and they all ar willing to host videos ...expecially for this tank...

melev ( Marc )
AJP ( Adam )

I've PM'd both of them and they've said they can accomodate you.... I'd love to see these videos make their way to my thread ( Home Reef Videos ) in the Reef Discusion Forums... Like I've mentioned before ( several pages ago in this thread ) My thread is the largest thread solely dedicated to Reef Tank Videos.. And we've got a ton of them...and still getting larger.... The thread has split now but you all can see them on the front page of the first half of the thread....

Please let me know what you decide.... I know everyone would love to see this tank in action....

Bob
Old 10/25/2005, 03:28 PM
THIS IS THE YEAR-GO CUBS

when are we going to see more pics. only if i had the room and money.
Old 10/25/2005, 03:42 PM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by derrikd
when are we going to see more pics.
i think we are all a bunch of reef junkies that need there fix. he he he he
come on lunchbucket get them posted so we can drool some more. lol
Old 10/25/2005, 04:15 PM
Registered Member

holy frigin crap that is sweet, that is the coolest tank i have ever seen, who ever said the stingray is unhealthy is dumb, u just are jelious that u dont have a sweet tank like that.
Old 10/25/2005, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

I must say this mans love for the hobby goes without saying. Im interested in his background mainly where he aquired this level of knowledge. The time he has invested in this tank alone is probably staggering. Just keeping up with the coral line algae would be a full time job. Being able to juqqle this tank ,his family, and work is something to really be proud of. Id like to personally thank him for allowing others to present the pictures and details in his absence.
Old 10/25/2005, 04:40 PM
Carpe Noctem

I Love it and am glad that it was shared here! My only question is how he manages to clean that thick acrylic with a mag float

Really though I feel that only positive remarks can be said here!
Old 10/25/2005, 05:12 PM
AEFW Survivor

OMG he has more than 3 tangs in that tank!!!!! GASP, wait till the tang police read this thread!!!!!

Tell Prince that I like his tank, but hate his music!
Old 10/25/2005, 05:38 PM
Ancient Eskimo Legend

[flamealert]

Bringing up Tang Police is not what this thread is about.

Dave

RC Staff

"The wind blew, the detritus flew and then they came two by two."