Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/08/2007, 09:06 PM
living life 2 the fullest

Iam allready there, where are you the sewer?

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 08/08/2007, 09:24 PM
clownfish fan

Blue Carpet when did i get in a race with semireef? what are you talking about?
Old 08/08/2007, 09:28 PM

Dont worry about it, its all good.

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 08/08/2007, 09:37 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by bluecarpet
Dont worry about it, its all good.
ok whatever.
Old 08/08/2007, 10:38 PM
Moved Onward

Quote:
Originally posted by GSMguy
Blue Carpet when did i get in a race with semireef? what are you talking about?
We get that a lot from him! Just read the College Football thread.

"The Conference of Champions"

359 NCAA titles and counting!

2nd Best, The Big 10 with a distant 212 titles

PAC 10 FOOTBALL is 9-6 against the SEC since the turn of the century!
Old 08/08/2007, 10:47 PM
Moved Onward

Quote:
Its funny how you bring Vick back into this, i find that very funny. There is no doubt BB is a jerk and a steroid user, it does not take a rocket scientist to figure this out. Take a look at the very few interviews he does and then you tell me if he is a jerk or not.
Once again, Barry hates the media and will not cooperate with them. Need to stop basing performance with personality. The guy was and is still a great baseball player whether or not you care for him.

From many of your posts, especially from the College Football thread, many have felt the same way about you but we still tolerate your nonsense replies.

Old 08/08/2007, 10:54 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

This is better than SNL season one
Old 08/08/2007, 11:10 PM
Moved In

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 08/08/2007, 11:12 PM
Moved Onward

From the SoCal Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by gcarrol
80 lbs ago I was an athlete accused of taking steroids by a teammate. Later that year that teammate tested positive for steroids. In reality he was just trying to divert attention from himself. I have seen the performance gains that can be made when steroids are involved. Did I take steroids? No, but that is because I thought I was good enough not to have to. Barry once felt this way too.

Let’s not forget, Barry was very outspoken about steroids for several years. If anything, Barry was good for baseball because he forced them to test. He changed the rules for the betterment of the sport! Since the steroid ban in MLB, more pitchers have tested positive for banned substances than hitters. If the pitchers were juicing prior to Barry taking steroids, do we credit him with extra homers because he would have hit them off those pitchers had they not been using steroids? Bottom line is that MLB is never going to admit that Canseco's book was fact, not fiction.

Say you have 3 levels of players in Major League Baseball (for that matter any sport).
Ultra – Super Stars
A – good to very good players
B – role players

Minor league players:
C

No one ever complained about all the C level players that use steroids to make it to the Majors
No one ever complained about the B level players that use steroids to make it to the A or Ultra level
We even cheer on the A & B level players that use steroids to make it to the Ultra level.
Yet we call out the posse when the Ultra Level player take steroids to put himself back on top where he should have been all along.

I find it disgusting that the Grand Jury is trying to indite Barry Bonds for using steroids. Where are the indictments for all the other athletes who have actually taken a urine test that confirmed steroid use?

Quote:
Originally posted by Scissorhand
You speak the truth, my friend.

Exactly what I was thinking. We're slowly being waken from an illusion and everybody is looking for a scapegoat to vent their frustration.
Quote:
Originally posted by skairik
Before I started my own business I used to work for a company that provided non-emergency medical transportation for Mama Bonds and on a few occasions I was actually assigned to pick her up for transport. I've been in her house, the one in Riverside that Barry grew up in, and let me tell you that whole house is like a living shrine not only to him but to his dad as well. Every wall was just covered with photo's of Barry and his dad. I also had the opportunity of meeting Barry himself. The guy is pretty cool and down to earth actually.

Some people might think Barry's head is a little swollen with arrogant pride but even if that were true I don't think that's necessarily a character defect. The few conversations I had with him left me with the impression that he cared more about his mom than baseball. And all things considered the guy really has come a long way from his humble beginnings in Riverside.

Unfortunately the doping allegations have given some people the wrong impression of Barry and although I don't particularly care for baseball, nor for that matter any other sport, I just wanted to say that the guy really is down to earth like most of the rest of us and in my opinion has achieved much to be proud of. No matter how you judge him the man is now an official part of baseball history and his fame will only continue to grow.
Quote:
Originally posted by SteveOhh
Funny that nobody mentions the pitchers throwing Barry the ball that are 'roided up.............................Doesn't that level the playing field???? Not to mention the man gets less "pitches to hit" then any other player in baseball. Can you imagine him playing for the Yankees? You wouldn't be able to pitch "around" him, becuase you'd have another all star batting before & after him.................It could be scary (this coming from a Dodgers fan)

If you listen to a lot of the players that have played w/ Bonds, they say he is a good person. He's donated over $10 million to various charities. How many of us blow off the Salvation Army asking for anything at Xmas? He just hates the media & makes thier jobs as difficult as possible. In return the media slams, berates & writes crap about him every chance they get. Still doesn't change the fact that he's hit more HR's then any other player in MLB PERIOD. Don't let your hatred for a person you never met affect you common sense reasoning. I couldn't stand Dale Earnhardt when he was alive. Does that mean he couldn't drive a race car? No...........................
At least some of us aren't basing it on what the media tells us or what a friend's brother's sister says.

Do I think he's a super great guy? Well, I'd have to know him first than go by hearsay. Do I think he took roids, prolly so cause a lot of players were doing so and there was no regulation on it. I like Giambi and Caminiti as they were well-liked guys but they took steroids as many others and of course they're not going to admit it. Gotta face the facts that roids is everywhere, not just baseball. Geez, even Gary Player said he knew golfers were on it and we know football, tennis, bicyclist, body builders, wrestlers and many more athletes are on it but let's all pick on Barry just cause we don't like him. If you want a real jerk to pick on, then pick Gary Sheffield who has been a cancer to every team he's been on and says all sorts of garbage.

Btw, if you haven't heard, Canseco says he's got info that A-Rod is also juiced.

Old 08/09/2007, 12:38 AM
2b1ask1

Canseco is a suspect source.

No one complains about minor league games because few people are watching them.

Seriously, do I have to take every player and every case and evaluate them and scrutinize them to make you happy?

BONDS DID STEROIDS. So did Palmeiro, Sosa, McGwire, and a plethora of others. (Yeah, I said it. Plethora.) I'm sure there are more I haven't seen or noticed because their production doesn't arouse my suspicion.

Take for example Brian Roberts. (World's greatest second baseman, by the way. Anyone who disagrees is a fool beyond saving.) '04 the man starts out the season with like 10 homers where he had been averaging between 5 and 10 PER SEASON. People started to wonder if he was taking steroids. He gave the explanation that no, he was not (and he had not gained weight or increased inexplicably in muscle mass) taking any performance enhancing drugs but that he had learned how to hit the fast ball. Most pitchers try to blow by you if you're a subpar hitter. He learned how to hit the fastball, took a few pitchers by surprise, and then his numbers tapered and he barely ended up with like 15 on the year.

No one asked him about steroids after that because his numbers went down. Just like I never would have guessed that Neifi Perez was juicing because his play isn't worthy of a ten second spot on Sportscenter.

Just because I don't loudly condemn cases I may not be aware of doesn't mean I'm approving of them. I've watched Bonds. I watched him as a Pirate. I've watched him as a Giant. I think he is juicing. Everyone else that is doing it shoulders the blame I heap on him.

I'm not picking on Bonds. Don't be so defensive. I'm sure he's sitting in his chair in his million dollar mansion watching his unbelievably large TV feeling so sorry for himself. I have zero opinion on his personality-- I've never met the guy.

Just because I disapprove of his actions doesn't mean I dislike him personally.
Old 08/09/2007, 12:44 AM
Here comes the Gators

Quote:
Iam allready there, where are you the sewer?
That's a very well, constructed sentence.
Old 08/09/2007, 12:45 AM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Quote:
Originally posted by 55semireef
That's a very well, constructed sentence.
Hey, by Brown Rug standards it was
Old 08/09/2007, 01:41 AM
2b1ask1

Wow. You know you're awesome when the Grim Reefer comes and posts on your thread.
Old 08/09/2007, 07:36 AM

Old Yeller Tang i cant believe you can actually stick up for this guy and not even stick up for Vick, now thats what i call humor. You make it out to be like barry bonds is the best all around player of all time, which is a joke and the funniest thing i have ever read even funnier than all of my posts put together on the other football thread. The best all around player in my mind was reggie jackson, barry bonds is not even in the top 100 or heck even top 1000, the man took roids so stop making him out to be the best.

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.

Last edited by bluerug; 08/09/2007 at 08:18 AM.
Old 08/09/2007, 08:51 AM
Guardian of Little People

OYT, what color is the sky in your world?

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 08/09/2007, 09:09 AM

Re: From the SoCal Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by Old Yeller Tang

Do I think he's a super great guy? Well, I'd have to know him first than go by hearsay.
Do you have to meet OJ to find out whether or not he is a super great guy? Because iam pretty sure you have never met him before and if you even question he is a good guy like you are questioning whether barry is a good guy then the color of your sky is far different from mine.

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 08/09/2007, 09:32 AM
RC Mod

Quote:
So by saying there were no rules you assume that it was a rule to use steroids? That makes no sense at all.
Obviously not. That's just stupid. However, since there was not a rule outright banning it, and not a rule to allow for testing of it under the CBA, there was an implicit allowance of steroids. Many elite athletes will do whatever it takes to get that little extra advantage, especially if there are no career repercussions (and they don't care about the longterm health repercussions). That's why MLB is as guilty as anyone else. They also, as pointed out, didn't address the issue until the public really started getting into it.

Dave
Old 08/09/2007, 09:37 AM
RC Mod

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Barry Bonds the good and bad.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cubman777
.But the major evidence against him, which absolutely cannot be explained away as anything other than HGH use is this: since that time, he has GROWN 2 INCHES in height!!! he is now 6'2. He was an even 6 feet from the ages of 22 to 34!!!
This statement was bothering me. Frankly, I don't believe it.

HGH won't increase height in adults. Once the growth plates have fused, they're done growing. HGH doesn't regenerate growth plates. If it did increase height, it would likely be much more rampant in the basketball world than anything else. You would also have many of the other athletes getting taller, especially in the body-building world.

I also haven't been able to find anything in the medical literature about an increase in height with HGH after the growth plates have closed. Everything is about children and adolescents.

Dave
Old 08/09/2007, 09:41 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Old Yeller Tang
First of all, Hank Aaron didn't come close to the work out regiment that Bonds does year after year. Most baseball players just get fat and lazy but Bonds has more passion for the sport than those who get fat contracts and then get lazy and out of shape.

Go ahead and let the media run your minds. Michael Irvin did cocaine and I don't think he spent time in jail and is in the Hall Of Fame. You never see Bonds out parading with prostitutes, gambling and doing cocaine. The media hates Bonds because he doesn't give them the time of day so in turn the media portrays all of Bonds negatives to get even and you guys only feed on that. I'm sure if the media showed all of Ruth's negatives, boozer and womanizer and who knows what, we wouldn't think of him as the loveable fat guy.

Ummm.....boozer/womanizer - bad things???

Bonds is a CHEATER (wife - taxes - baseball)

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.
Old 08/09/2007, 09:43 AM
Registered Member

HGH will make plates grow, at least that's what I was just told on ESPN radio by some doc on the Cowherd show.
There is a direct correlation to his 2+ hat size increase since 2001, which is documented

And he 'admitted' to unknowingly(LMAO) taking roids....fact.

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.
Old 08/09/2007, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolverine
Obviously not. That's just stupid. However, since there was not a rule outright banning it, and not a rule to allow for testing of it under the CBA, there was an implicit allowance of steroids. Many elite athletes will do whatever it takes to get that little extra advantage, especially if there are no career repercussions (and they don't care about the longterm health repercussions). That's why MLB is as guilty as anyone else. They also, as pointed out, didn't address the issue until the public really started getting into it.

Dave
When you get some hard evidence saying that the MLB were ok that their baseball players were using steroids come let me know.

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 08/09/2007, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by E-A-G-L-E-S
HGH will make plates grow, at least that's what I was just told on ESPN radio by some doc on the Cowherd show.
There is a direct correlation to his 2+ hat size increase since 2001, which is documented

I actually heard the same show and was going to mention that.

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 08/09/2007, 09:45 AM
Registered Member

Or if it was not 'unlawful' Because I didn't know that being a member of a professional sports league means you do not have to be accountable for the nations' laws.

Old 08/09/2007, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by E-A-G-L-E-S

He only thought they were flu shots, LMAO.

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 08/09/2007, 09:56 AM
Registered Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Barry Bonds the good and bad.

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolverine
This statement was bothering me. Frankly, I don't believe it.

HGH won't increase height in adults. Once the growth plates have fused, they're done growing. HGH doesn't regenerate growth plates. If it did increase height, it would likely be much more rampant in the basketball world than anything else. You would also have many of the other athletes getting taller, especially in the body-building world.

I also haven't been able to find anything in the medical literature about an increase in height with HGH after the growth plates have closed. Everything is about children and adolescents.

Dave
Are you a medical doctor?

It appears that what you have heard and what I have heard is different.