Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/31/2007, 05:18 PM
Girls Rule!

Thursday Update!

Today we took a trip to our LFS store to check out all-in-one tanks. Thinking about setting up a small nano for fun.

Anyway, we came across some pretty Trumpet corals someone had just brought in. It was off a huge colony the guy had for over two years.. and they fragged it into several smaller ones.

We decided to go ahead and grab one bc they were a pretty color.

I also snapped this pretty photo of my watermellon zoas. They are coloring back up nicely after the bleaching and that makes me really happy. When I got them they were 1/2 the size they are today.

Old 05/31/2007, 05:30 PM
Reefin' Ain't Easy!

Wow really colorful zoas.
"All the clownfish and yellow tangs in the world can't help you now!" - Peter Griffin
Old 05/31/2007, 06:56 PM
Girls Rule!

Thanks
Old 05/31/2007, 07:04 PM
Registered Member

G'day Ng,

Since a few people have mentioned the sump, in particular the face that you don't have hose clamps on the pumps, I thought I'd throw an idea your way. On the Aqua c skimmers they use ratchet clamps, pvc pipe fittings. They are very effective, adjustable and strong.

This link will show you what I'm talking about, keep in mind this is an Australian supplier, but you should be able to get them in the states, and they are not expensive.

Ratchet clamps

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Chris.
Old 05/31/2007, 07:09 PM
Registered Member

I didn't know those were used for plumbing applications. I've seen those mainly used in automotive applications to secure wire bundles under the hood, or bonnet in Aussy speak. ;-)
Old 05/31/2007, 08:09 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by chris wright
G'day Ng,

Since a few people have mentioned the sump, in particular the face that you don't have hose clamps on the pumps, I thought I'd throw an idea your way. On the Aqua c skimmers they use ratchet clamps, pvc pipe fittings. They are very effective, adjustable and strong.

This link will show you what I'm talking about, keep in mind this is an Australian supplier, but you should be able to get them in the states, and they are not expensive.

Ratchet clamps

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Chris.
Thanks Chris That's a good idea. I know exactly what you're talking about. I have a Remora and used those for the tube. I wonder if someplace like Home Depot would carry them?

Thanks for the good info!
Old 05/31/2007, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

Im using a Mag 12 in my 90 right now. I'm thinking about downing to a 9.5. The turbelance in my tank and sump is crazy!
And yes...i too have microbubbles....what r u doing to remedy this?

Quote:
Originally posted by NanoGurl
No, it's a Mag 5. I actually downgraded from a Mag 9 to reduce the flow. It has worked fairly well, but I still get microbubbles.
Old 05/31/2007, 11:51 PM
reef obsessed

Awseome new additions to the tank, NG. The trumpet coral is going to be fantastic once it opens up. Love the colors on those watermelons.
Old 06/01/2007, 01:16 AM
Registered Member

Ng If Home depot don't stock the clamps, see if you can find an agricultural supplier. They usually stock heaps of things like the ratchet clips. I hope that they are not to hard to get.

One option would be to flick off an email to Jason at Aqua C, and ask him where he gets his.

surfjeepzx, g'day cobber. Been down under before or know a few mad aussies? I found mine at a rural supplier. They can be used to clamp poly pipe onto the relevant fittings, instead of hose clamps. Especially if there is a chance they can rust.
Old 06/01/2007, 01:35 AM
PRoTeCToR oF ALL ReeF ;)

Quote:
Thanks Did you finally get it? How do you like it?
Yeah got it last Friday. I hated the thing the first days. Reading the manual helps forget what people say haha. I got the Dx version supposedly 10MP, but well just see about that when I get the hang of it. Yes big Noob to DSLR

Say that tang is looking better now. Was it just the FW dip or did you try other things?
Old 06/01/2007, 08:22 AM
Registered Member

Awesome looking tank! lovin the Zoas!
Old 06/01/2007, 10:32 AM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by Island1Day
Im using a Mag 12 in my 90 right now. I'm thinking about downing to a 9.5. The turbelance in my tank and sump is crazy!
And yes...i too have microbubbles....what r u doing to remedy this?
Not looking into my tank real hard
Old 06/01/2007, 10:32 AM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by drummereef
Awseome new additions to the tank, NG. The trumpet coral is going to be fantastic once it opens up. Love the colors on those watermelons.
Thanks DR It's cute I like it. Something different with some color.
Old 06/01/2007, 10:36 AM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Ng If Home depot don't stock the clamps, see if you can find an agricultural supplier. They usually stock heaps of things like the ratchet clips. I hope that they are not to hard to get.

One option would be to flick off an email to Jason at Aqua C, and ask him where he gets his.

surfjeepzx, g'day cobber. Been down under before or know a few mad aussies? I found mine at a rural supplier. They can be used to clamp poly pipe onto the relevant fittings, instead of hose clamps. Especially if there is a chance they can rust.
Thanks!
Old 06/01/2007, 10:39 AM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by joeyjoeq
Yeah got it last Friday. I hated the thing the first days. Reading the manual helps forget what people say haha. I got the Dx version supposedly 10MP, but well just see about that when I get the hang of it. Yes big Noob to DSLR

Say that tang is looking better now. Was it just the FW dip or did you try other things?
Awww.. sorry! You'll get used to it!

Nope, just FW dip so far. We'll see if the cycle brings back the worms.
Old 06/01/2007, 10:40 AM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by Eklikewhoa
Awesome looking tank! lovin the Zoas!
Thanks!
Old 06/01/2007, 12:45 PM
TRC Leader

Just catching up on the thread.

Typing - when I went to school, I took typewriting class. That's right, an actual typewriter. And it was a manual one, so you had to press each finger down hard to make the striker slam through the black ribbon to press the character onto the paper. We used erasers with brushes to 'fix' a typo. Typing on those was tough, but we were told when you get to an automatic (electric) typewriter you'll love it. Computers were so basic back then that only a few geeks used them at my school and they just did stupid stuff like make their name scroll on the screen endlessly.

Of course, things have gotten better, right?

Hose clamps made of plastic - Marine Depot sells these, as does your LFS. linky

Microbubbles from sump - you might have room for a bubble tower to stop them in the first place. Here's one out of acrylic. You could do the same thing with something from Walmart like a Rubbermaid Loaf of Bread container stood up on its end.

Old 06/01/2007, 01:46 PM
Registered Member

Marc, I have been in awe of your acrylic work for some time, and now your computer skills have demoralized me...very nicely done, clear, concise, now the rest of us can sit in our own tears only wishing we were as thorough as you.
Seriously...wow!
Old 06/01/2007, 02:07 PM
TRC Leader

hansmatt - never feel demoralized. Just reach out for that next goal and achieve it.
Old 06/01/2007, 02:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr31415
You have quite a bit of flow in that sump (turbulent surface flow). Is your return pump overrated for the tank's size? I think it is cool - I have trouble getting some surface goo removed from my sumps cause the water is not as turbulent.
I dont' know. I got an 50HF RIO on my return for my 90 gallon. It does a great job making sure that the turnover in the tank is high enough. I have the return split into two and they each are pushing about 400gph. I have an autotop off that helps alot though.
Old 06/01/2007, 02:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

I've never been to AU but in my worldly travels for surf I've run into a few wild Aussies. The mates I've met have always been fun to hang and surf with.

I agree those clamps would be a good option in that they're simple and no problems with rust or corrosion.

G'day
Old 06/01/2007, 02:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kalied20
I dont' know. I got an 50HF RIO on my return for my 90 gallon. It does a great job making sure that the turnover in the tank is high enough. I have the return split into two and they each are pushing about 400gph. I have an autotop off that helps alot though.
WOW, A 50 HF in a 90? I run a 17HF in a 135 with a 30 gallon sump. It's moving a lot of water and keeps both 1.25" drains pretty full of water.

My LFS freind/owner has a 32HF in a 180 in the back office which he uses to grow out corals and that thing rips. He just mentioned he was going to downsize the pump because the turbulence was excessive for the tank.

I can only imagine a 50HF must be ridiculous using the 17 and 32 in larger tanks as comparisons. Do you have a lot of water noise from the overflow and sump too?

By the way NG, I've been following this thread since it started and you've been doing a great job. It's nice to see fresh enthusiasm in the hobby and your posts lend a nice new flavor to this site. Keep up the good work and always realize this hobby is a constant learning process no matter how many years or experience you have in it.

It's also nice that you're willing to allow others a peek at your other hobbies/passions. Many of us have more than one thing we do well besides reefing and work. Don't worry about the naysayers, Be happy, lah lah lah.
Old 06/01/2007, 03:27 PM
Registered Member

Laughing at myself....It's a 20HF...."mistype"
Old 06/02/2007, 01:51 AM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by melev

Ahh... I forgot about this. You mentioned this to me awhile ago and I was going to try it, but I forgot about it. I might try tomorrow and see if it helps. Thanks!

Typewrites huh? Wow... GrandPa Melev LoL That's a funny animation. I can't imagine a world without the internet and computers!
Old 06/02/2007, 01:59 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

Typewrites huh? ....... I can't imagine a world without the internet and computers!
Umm now I feel really old.