Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/18/2005, 05:12 PM
Moved On

Next up nasal spray...I know people very addicted to dristan....lol
Old 05/18/2005, 05:15 PM
Registered Member

Agreed meth sucks i live 2 hours from portland i have seen it's effects, immediately not prolonged like a cigarrette smoker. I myself do not smoke, and yes smoking claims lot's of lives, but so do bad genes. I am no better than a smoker, and if the smoker has the right genetics he may outlive me. My point is there are many things people die from besides cigarrettes and there are worse things to do. So your not an addict? Millions are addicted to what doctors prescribe daily, is it right? Who knows? So you are not addicted to something slowly killing you, but who knows maybe you will die fast. Meth and heroin are far worse than any legal drug.
Old 05/18/2005, 05:18 PM
in the bathtub

Quote:
Originally posted by beerguy
Simple FM - it's a picture of De Nile.
DOH!

Ed: "I hate to tell you this Dr., but there aren't any fish in that river. In fact, there isn't any river."
Dr. Lao: "That's ok. Me no use bait."
Old 05/18/2005, 05:18 PM
Moved On

what my husband is trying to say is that HE wouldn't classify ciggs a drug for the simple fact that they dont alter your mind. At least that's the point I think he's trying to get across. Yes there are varying degrees of classifacation when it comes to drugs. I personally agree that cigs are a drug for the simple fact that they are addictive(im gonna have a hell of time when he reads this then comes home). We both smoke, and we both share this screen name, i'll always sign my posts with Bree though so don't snap at me for something he says. He can be a real big smart as, especially when he's at work(which he is now).

Bree
Old 05/18/2005, 05:20 PM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by Fat Man
DOH!

Gotcha.

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 05/18/2005, 05:22 PM
Just say no to DSB

Quote:
Originally posted by beerguy
Simple FM - it's a picture of De Nile.
beerguy - funniest thing ever from you

Quote:
Originally posted by kbmdale
I guess we will have to agree to disagree on what is and isn't a drug. Is smoking dangerous yes, addictive yes, a drug NO...Alcohol is a drug, can impair your ability to function. Cigerettes do not. Addiction is a characteristic of a drug, but that doesn't make everything thats addictive is a drug.
"A drug is any substance that can be used to modify a chemical process or processes in the body, for example to treat an illness, relieve a symptom, enhance a performance or ability, or to alter states of mind. The word "drug" is etymologically derived from the Dutch/Low German word "droog", which means "dry", since in the past, most drugs were dried plant parts."
"The term "drug" is necessarily a vague one, being defined by intent: for example, foods consumed for normal metabolism are not generally considered "drugs", but the same foods consumed for a more specific purpose (such as the use of alcohol as a depressant or caffeine as a stimulant) may be. Depending on the definition used, the same substance may even be considered both a food and a drug at the same time. The term "medication" is frequently applied to drugs used for medical treatment, presumably to avoid confusion with recreational drugs."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug

"There is never enough time to do all the nothing you want" - Calvin
Old 05/18/2005, 05:25 PM
Registered Member

O.k., Beerguy, I just thought that people might come here for meth info and get put off by the other stuff. I was an addiction counselor in a past life, I know that all of these are addictions, just thought it would be easier to zoom in on one. But I get your point the lounge is more free form.
:-)
Ari
Old 05/18/2005, 05:33 PM
Reef Crazy

Quote:
I guess we will have to agree to disagree on what is and isn't a drug. Is smoking dangerous yes, addictive yes, a drug NO...Alcohol is a drug, can impair your ability to function. Cigerettes do not. Addiction is a characteristic of a drug, but that doesn't make everything thats addictive is a drug.
Well, then why is it, that when I tried smoking for the first time, I got so light headed and dizzy that I fell off my bike and nearly busted my head open? (I was around 13 yrs old)

Even today, if I were to smoke a cig(I don't smoke by the way), it would make me a little light headed and dizzy.

It's all about tolerance. You've built up a tolerance for nicotine. To me, the affect of nicotine MUCH more noticeable.

Now, I tend to drink more than a couple beers a day, and I bet my tolerance it way higher then a lot of people, so I don't notice the first couple of beers. I could also say that beer is not mind altering, or effect my physical abilities, but I know better. Alcohol is a drug and so are cigarettes.

Dan
Old 05/18/2005, 05:36 PM
Moved On

ever tried acid, now thats mind altercation...Cigerettes don't alter your mind they give you a head rush if your not use to it. If you stand up to fast you can get a head rush...

KRIS
Old 05/18/2005, 05:38 PM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

Back to the river Kris.

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 05/18/2005, 05:40 PM
Moved On

yep..I love da water...
Old 05/18/2005, 05:40 PM
Registered Member

Sex is a drug, causes all sorts of chemical changes and i am proudly an addict. I am also addicted to adrenaline, if it has a motor i will ride it or drive it. I am hooked on beer too i just love it i have 3 ever night after work. I am also hooked on reefs thousands of dollars prove that.
Old 05/18/2005, 07:20 PM
Just say no to DSB

Quote:
Next up nasal spray...I know people very addicted to dristan....lol
Seriously. I just started on Dristan last week, not sure if I can ever quit now.
What I do not understand is; Why are the making pseudoephedrine literally over the counter only? Why is it suddenly illegal for me to pick up a small package of pseudoephedrine at the gas station down the street if I have a head cold? Can’t the clerk tell the difference between someone with the sniffles and someone buying 3,000 pills? I mean come on; I don’t think the meth manufacturers were buying one package of sinus pills at every corner store all day long.

"There is never enough time to do all the nothing you want" - Calvin
Old 05/18/2005, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Actually they were, they would drive all over oregon to small stores and buy 1 or 2 packs at a time. Cooks pay tweakers for them. I am glad it is all behind the counter!
Old 05/18/2005, 08:55 PM
Guardian of Little People

Kris, I don't know if you are trying to convince yourself or us.

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 05/18/2005, 09:05 PM
Monkeys Rule once more

I have to agree (as a smoker), that tobacco is both a drug, and addictive. I will also agree that it is "mind altering", but the difference is that the mind altering is something that happens when you are trying to rid yourself of the addiction, not an effect of smoking etc. Whereas Meth has the effect when actually being used, and that is the significant difference.
Old 05/18/2005, 09:07 PM

Mike, please quit for your fellow Loungers We want you around for a long time

Old 05/18/2005, 09:15 PM
Monkeys Rule once more

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianD
Mike, please quit for your fellow Loungers We want you around for a long time
I don't think it makes any difference, but I have switched to cigars, maybe its psychological but I feel it's a step in the right direction.

The biggest incentive I have to quit, is when my 6 year old asks me why I smoke, "you know its a stupid thing to do daddy, and you smell bad", I think he is winning
Old 05/18/2005, 10:14 PM

Your six year old was the first thought in my mind when I posted. Do it for him Dad

Old 05/18/2005, 10:45 PM
Registered Member

I lost my father young to lung cancer...please quit for the kid.
Old 05/18/2005, 10:47 PM
Registered Member

For what its worth, we have a couple of oral surgeons and patholgists here at our hospital that are championing the use of smokeless oral tobacco over cigarettes. There are some products out there that are like nicotene tic tacs and disolve in your mouth. Its the smoking of cigarettes that makes them dangerous. Not many people realize that smoking puts you at greater risk for oral cancers than do chewing tobacco or dip.

I think people have to realize that the way society views something is not representative of its danger. The two biggest killers today are lung cancer and heart disease, both of which major risk factors are smoking. Just because its legal doesn't make it safe. Aspirin would probably not pass FDA requirements for an over the counter drug today, but its established itself in our society. It causes lots of problems with bleeding ulcers. Alcohol and tobacco are ancient traditions in our society, so its not going to become illegal anytime soon, but it doesn't make it any safer.
Old 05/18/2005, 10:51 PM
Moved On

Brian,

I'm not trying to convience anyone. To each his own the only reason I have been debating stopping is I think of how 3 bucks a day could go a long way tword the 150g of my dreams..lol... I already told bree If she would quit I would too....thats 6 bucks a day....WOW....180 bucks a month to kill ourselves......But back to the drugs enough of the Truth campaign.
Old 05/18/2005, 11:39 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

So instead of waiting for her to make the first move, why don't you?
Old 05/18/2005, 11:49 PM
Moved On

Cause I'm weak and powerless without her approval...lol...No just kidding. Man you people don't give up.
Old 05/19/2005, 05:48 AM
Registered Member

I'd have to say that smoking is quite gross... I've never really been a smoker, I have tried it when I was a teen... I used to believe that if I smoked, it would cover up the beer smell ... My mom told me a while back that it didn't work, she could always tell ... My mom, 3 of my brothers and both of my sister's smoke, my dad smoked for many, many years then he quit ... When my oldest daughter goes to my mom's house she comes home and has to change her clothes b/c she can't stand the smell of smoke on her, and I love it!!! I doubt that my children will smoke, hopefully we've shown them that it's just not healthy, and it does horrible things to your body... I am not saying that my children wouldn't ever attempt it, I'm just saying that I hope they don't... Your'e right about the $$$ that's just crazy, here we are griping about the cost of Gas, and we pretty much need this... Although I guess people pretty much need there smokes too... Why not atleast try to quit, your food will taste better, you and your home/car won't smell, and your body will love you forever ...

TheBimbo

so...what are you wearing...?

panties...?

lace panties...?

that's what I'm wearing - ScubaDave and the telemarketer...

Life can be short, just like me... Live it to the fullest!!! Family is always there for you NO matter what, just like a "true friend" would be... A cheat is a cheat, and are always busted...