Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/21/2006, 09:47 AM
Premium Member

I had help from someone else.
He did a professional job.
Does anyone have pictures of their mounting brackets?
Old 04/21/2006, 11:18 AM
Registered Member

my mounting bracket is just some scrap acrylic shaped into an L with the MJ mounting piece glued onto it. i don't know if it is because of the increased flow but the MJ mounting piece no longer stays in the groove so i had to use plastic tie wraps for now. the piece looks warped.

the whole thing looks like crap so no pics.
Old 04/21/2006, 01:25 PM
reefaholic

Is the magnet portion of the impeller assembly in a maxi 900 the same as in a maxi 1200?

I tried putting the mod from my maxi 1200 into a 900 because the magnet looks the same, but it won't spin the twin Nitro props unless I take it out of the water first. Is anyone running twin nitro props on a 900? My 1200 makes a hum, so I was hoping to use the 900.

Visit our CTARS club website by clicking the 'red house' icon above :)
Old 04/21/2006, 01:53 PM
Moved On

There will always be some humming because of the propellers. The Nitro Hammer prop I have discovered is a bit noiser than others. As far as the magnet impeller assembly is concerned, although they are the same size, the MJ1200 is stronger than the MJ900. Also the MJ1200 motor has more torque than a MJ900.

It is possible and probable that your MJ900 pump motor is a bit too weak especially if it's an older pump.

D.
Old 04/21/2006, 10:00 PM
El Jefe de WRS

The humming seems to be a problem with the aquaclears as well. The problem seems to stem from the way we are using these pumps though... the stock impeller creates a force perpendicular to the shaft, so the force of the magnet is all that is needed to keep everything in place. But with propellers, there is a force pushing the magnet back into the pump. On smaller pumps, the force of the propeller isnt so great always, but on larger powerheads, the force of the larger propellers forces the magnet to wear against the bushing inside the powerhead...and this is where the noise comes from. Since this is something that the powerhead mfg's never planned on, the occurance or probability of one powerhead humming more or less than another is almost random depnding on the model. The MJ400 I have running a dumas 1.25" prop is dead silent, but even the small Aquaclear Mini Pump/HiSpec1000/10 makes a small buzzing with any prop. The strength of the magnets on the larger AC402 and 802s seems to prevent this friction from happening (tha magnet has a strong pull on the motor to prevent the impeller/magnet assembly from ever being pushed back all the way), but depending on what the largest prop I find that will run on it...this one might still make noise with a large enough prop.
Old 04/21/2006, 11:55 PM
Registered Member

I made a removable "roof" for this 2" housing because I really got a problem of air being sucked into it causing very unpleasant rattling noise by 1.75" prop.

Old 04/22/2006, 12:06 AM
Moved On

That's awesome quangtam7. How are you attaching the hood on the pump?
Old 04/22/2006, 01:21 AM
Registered Member

Okay, I'm new to this thread, and I've found out that there's about 150 pages, maybe more. I have a MaxiJet 1200 that I want to mod, and maybe get another 1 or 2 depending on the outcome of this. Should I go with MJ 1200, or different pump? Basically I want to figure out what to do, and there's tons of information that I can find out, but I just want to do a mod without having to read through 200 pages of this.

Where do I start?

[img]http://i10.tinypic.com/48f4i1s.gif[/img]
Old 04/22/2006, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by hahnmeister
The humming seems to be a problem with the aquaclears as well. The problem seems to stem from the way we are using these pumps though... the stock impeller creates a force perpendicular to the shaft, so the force of the magnet is all that is needed to keep everything in place. But with propellers, there is a force pushing the magnet back into the pump. On smaller pumps, the force of the propeller isnt so great always, but on larger powerheads, the force of the larger propellers forces the magnet to wear against the bushing inside the powerhead...and this is where the noise comes from. Since this is something that the powerhead mfg's never planned on, the occurance or probability of one powerhead humming more or less than another is almost random depnding on the model. The MJ400 I have running a dumas 1.25" prop is dead silent, but even the small Aquaclear Mini Pump/HiSpec1000/10 makes a small buzzing with any prop. The strength of the magnets on the larger AC402 and 802s seems to prevent this friction from happening (tha magnet has a strong pull on the motor to prevent the impeller/magnet assembly from ever being pushed back all the way), but depending on what the largest prop I find that will run on it...this one might still make noise with a large enough prop.
And it might be a catch-22 thing too, because if the prop is big enough to pull the magnet out (to hit the stop) it may very well be also big enough to push it back too.

I remember reading in another thread, I think it was BullDZR or something like that, people were talking about using a teflon washer on the bottom to help with the wear. May it also help with noise?
Old 04/22/2006, 07:38 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
[i]<

Where do I start? [/B]
start at the first page of this thread 4th posting down. by the master dhnguyen
Old 04/22/2006, 12:19 PM
Registered Member

quangtam7, that looks trick. how did do the cross brace like that?
Old 04/22/2006, 03:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dhnguyen
That's awesome quangtam7. How are you attaching the hood on the pump?
Just slide it in
Old 04/22/2006, 09:42 PM
ANCHOR member

What did you use to make the front housing? Ted
Old 04/22/2006, 09:42 PM
ANCHOR member

What did you use to make the front housing? Ted
Old 04/22/2006, 09:43 PM
ANCHOR member

quangtam7, What did you use to make the front housing? Ted
Old 04/22/2006, 09:44 PM
ANCHOR member

Boy how many times did I hit that button????
Old 04/22/2006, 09:57 PM
El Jefe de WRS

ejmeier, I am interested in the teflon washer idea. Any specifics on what kind/model/type is being used? I think it would help the pumps in the long run.
Old 04/23/2006, 12:21 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rothie
For those of you that have problems with the MaxiJet mod-the prop jumping in and out and unable to correct the directioin of the spin-
I have an MJ1200 with a Dumas 1 1/2" prop that did this and I tried all means to correct it.I finally changed the prop out with a dual Dumas 1 1/4" prop and it works great,each time,every time.There are still noise problems(my Maxi 900 dual prop is silent).I'll work on that next.
I have a mj 1200 with dual nitros that now has this problem after running beautifully for a month. Has anyone figured out what the causes are for this? Prop too big, pump too weak...?
Old 04/23/2006, 12:37 AM
Registered Member

I just put on a single 1.75 prop andhave had no problems. I don' know if I'd put it in any of the tanks you have listed though as 2 in my 180 is ALOT of flow. I have a hard time keeping the sand from blowing around.
Old 04/23/2006, 10:04 AM
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Great thread I made a pair and both are working flawlessly after 2 months. No noise, no vortex, no rod issues, no vibration and starts in the correct direction everytime! For the mount, I just reconfigured (with a little heat) the factory supplied clip and it works great. Max Jet 400, single Nitro Hammer prop, graphite shaft and 1.5" schedule 80 PVC shroud.
Old 04/23/2006, 11:33 AM
Better Reefer Than You :)

Nice job.

Looks like you do it for a living.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Old 04/23/2006, 11:36 AM
On "The List"

03LightningSVT,
sweet looking work. what size prop & what sort of flow do you think you're getting from the 400's?

HEY! I lost it first ~CRP

There is no "Brain" in "Brian." ~Beerguy
Old 04/23/2006, 12:07 PM
Registered Member

I have a 900 with dual nitros. It worked great for a month but now won't change directions when restarted, any ideas.
Old 04/23/2006, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reefrubble
quangtam7, What did you use to make the front housing? Ted
Here is old thread I created 7-8 months ago (there is sideway flow too), everything (incl brace) was cut by tile saw. You can get an bunch of graphite rods out of a kite at Walmart for $2.99.
DFWMAS-DIY
Old 04/23/2006, 01:50 PM
ANCHOR member

quangtam7, I thank you very much. Ted