Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/21/2005, 12:53 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drk70
I just tested ammonia. It reads .1 or maybe .2 at the most.
Oh good...you're going to have a nice easy cycle!
Old 05/21/2005, 01:10 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
Oh good...you're going to have a nice easy cycle!
I wouldn't say that yet but maybe not as bad as others. I'm glad I kept that one real smelly rock out and really rubbed some stinky stuff off of another. Those were the only 2. I now know what everyone sayd about it smelling. There is no mistaking what is bad because it is NASTY!
Old 05/21/2005, 01:14 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drk70
I wouldn't say that yet but maybe not as bad as others. I'm glad I kept that one real smelly rock out and really rubbed some stinky stuff off of another. Those were the only 2. I now know what everyone sayd about it smelling. There is no mistaking what is bad because it is NASTY!
You have more experience than I do. I've never smelled it.
You now have to change your current tank options. You're no longer a TBS wannabe...you're a TBS owner!
Old 05/21/2005, 02:02 PM
Premium Member

Are these good or bad.

I think this one is a welk.

I have them in my sump now and will get rid of them if they are bad.
Old 05/21/2005, 02:09 PM
My Kung Fu is strong!

second one is definitly a predatory whelk!
Old 05/21/2005, 02:14 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dood68
second one is definitly a predatory whelk!
Yeah, I figured that.
Old 05/21/2005, 02:38 PM
Registered Member

I've done a couple of 10% changes when the ammonia cleared .5. It certainly helped with the overall smell and slowed the output on the skimmer somewhat. The tank is certainly clearer than it was and the cup corals and tube corals perk right up after. If I extend the cycle a bit so be it.

Randy
Old 05/21/2005, 03:36 PM
Premium Member

Dennis, did your Tunze ever quiet down? If so, did you have to do anything special to get it more quiet?
I was supposed to meet Tony today to get the non defective cover, but with my back being out, I haven't gone anywhere all week.
I still have to install mine.
Old 05/21/2005, 03:37 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dood68
some people argue that you should let the ammonia go all the way to 1 b4 doing a water change or you will be perpetuating the cycle. i've also seen others argue this is not true. who knows?
I agree. It may, but I enjoy doing water changes....strange I know...Probably a fleeting fad.
Old 05/21/2005, 03:46 PM
Premium Member

That is one bright green mantis Nirol!

I think I saw another one, but he/she is almost clear. and on a bigger rock! nuts! I can't get a good pic yet.
Old 05/21/2005, 03:49 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nirol
That is one bright green mantis Nirol!
I think I saw another one, but he/she is almost clear. and on a bigger rock! nuts! I can't get a good pic yet.
Almost clear could more likely be a pistol? I've seen plenty of translucent pistols, but all the mantis I've seen had color.
I'm not saying it isn't a mantis, but try to get a good look at it.
Old 05/21/2005, 04:02 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Almost clear could more likely be a pistol? I've seen plenty of translucent pistols, but all the mantis I've seen had color.
I'm not saying it isn't a mantis, but try to get a good look at it.
OK he won't come out now.. I saw most of his head. But did not see claws. I'll wait and try to get a pic for you.
Old 05/21/2005, 04:11 PM
Premium Member

For almost 2 months I saw the head of one, and it would never come out all the way for me to get an ID. One way to tell if it's a pistol, would be watch how it goes back into the rock. If it backs up into the rock without turning around, it's most likely a pistol.
Old 05/21/2005, 04:18 PM
Premium Member

Just finished ANOTHER water change, I siphoned off some more dead sponge. My ammonia was at 1, nitrites at 0.25, nitrates 15. The tank is starting to smell less "low tide" so I think I'm finishing up the cycle (could be wishful thinking too though). My cycle with part 1 lasted about a week and a half. I'm really hoping this one doesn't go that long...
Old 05/21/2005, 04:24 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
For almost 2 months I saw the head of one, and it would never come out all the way for me to get an ID. One way to tell if it's a pistol, would be watch how it goes back into the rock. If it backs up into the rock without turning around, it's most likely a pistol.
The green one does that. He pops out and then slides back in like an Eel. The clear one, is just peeking around a corner. I can't see him well enough to know if he is in a hole or not.
Old 05/21/2005, 04:32 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by krajacich
Just finished ANOTHER water change, I siphoned off some more dead sponge. My ammonia was at 1, nitrites at 0.25, nitrates 15. The tank is starting to smell less "low tide" so I think I'm finishing up the cycle (could be wishful thinking too though). My cycle with part 1 lasted about a week and a half. I'm really hoping this one doesn't go that long...
I seriously doubt your finishing up your cycle already if your ammonia reading was at 1. But maybe you're on your way to leveling out on the rising ammonia levels, and the worst is over.
Old 05/21/2005, 04:56 PM
Registered Member

Just a quick update.
Amm. staying around or below .5. I have done 2 10% water changes and all seems well so far. My skimmers are working overtime. I still have not made a postive ID on the crab that my wife spotted hiding in his hole.
Any idea why there was a gorilla crab claw in the sand this morning? Maybe a little battle last night while the lights were off?
Hope everyone is enjoying their rock.
-Eric
Old 05/21/2005, 05:43 PM
Premium Member

Brian, I got your PM. You'll have to PM or email me your email address so I can send it to you.
Old 05/21/2005, 05:55 PM
Registered Member

Wecaught our first mantis today!!! Yee haw!! Still have to catch the giant gorilla and at least one more mantis. All traps are set and hopefully tonight. Fingers crossed.

On another note, we visited TBS today and picked up some more snails to replace our supply. Found a gorgeous small rock with a large orange ball sponge, a navy blue christmas tree worm, several other sponges and stuff on it. Will post a pic once it settles in and the tree comes out. LOVE living this close to TBS and being able to stop in at will to see what is available.
Old 05/21/2005, 06:00 PM
Premium Member

How did you catch it?
Old 05/21/2005, 06:14 PM
Registered Member

After the 2 water changes in one day, scraping off alot of sponges and taking off a sea squirt our ammonia is still at a 2. GRRRRRRRR
Old 05/21/2005, 06:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
How did you catch it?
He decided to make his home in a very small rock at the side of the tank. If you all remember, most of the rocks in our tanks are 20 - 40 lbs. (Plus we have the canopy on top) This one was about baseball size. I saw him go in the hole, ran and grabbed the step stool and the gloves, grabbed the rock and ran to the sink with it. I squirted RO water into the holes with no results. We had purchased some snails and a small rock from TBS which we had been acclimating, so I left the mantis rock in Brett's care while I put the snails and rock in the tank. Before I had the stuff in the tank, Brett yelled out...I GOT HIM!!! What excitement!! I now have a post on the mantis forum to see if anyone wants to come get him. We have him in a jar in the sump. I'm adding water to the jar periodically to give him oxygen and hope he will make it at least overnight or until someone gets him. If no one claims him by tomorrow, he will ride that wild Florida water ride to meet the other gorillas that we "liberated".
Old 05/21/2005, 06:18 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kidzatheart
After the 2 water changes in one day, scraping off alot of sponges and taking off a sea squirt our ammonia is still at a 2. GRRRRRRRR
Lori, are you still smelling bad things on the rock?
Old 05/21/2005, 06:19 PM
Soul of a Sailor

Dennis, I don't recognize your first snail. I would post it in Dr. Ron's forum for SnailGuy to ID. However, chances are slim to none that it's a good guy.
Old 05/21/2005, 06:33 PM
Registered Member

Arthur is getting the water ready for another water change. And today we will be pulling out all of part 2 rocks for the smell test. We only took out 2 rocks yesterday and took almost everything off of them. By the time we finish we are gonna end up with bare rocks.