Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/14/2005, 01:02 PM
Tailspot Blenny

wow, good stuff man =)

I want to custom make a water tank in my truck that fits the entirety of it with a spigot in the back. I always go down to santa barbara to visit, and that would be an awesome way to load up on NSW.
Old 11/14/2005, 01:13 PM
I yam what I yam

I've been thinking the same but on a trailer. I was going to get one of the tanks that you see all the mobile car wash guys using. I think there at least 200 G's. There might be some bigger ones. That and a hose, and I could have one for storage over by my tank and one on the trailer to go get water with.

Have you THANKED a Veteran lately for the freedoms you take for granted each day?
Old 11/14/2005, 01:16 PM
Network Samurai

Once the tank is in the sunroom, how about putting in a line to the driveway. Drain the old water out, then use the same line to pump the new NSW back in
Old 11/14/2005, 01:27 PM
I yam what I yam

TOO much concrete to dig up. I am thinking of putting in a drain behind the tank that feeds into the house drain. There is a main line under the house right next to where the tank will be.

I can also run a hose from the street up the side of the house to a holding tank behind the main tank. I just need either a long extension cord or a 12 VDC pump.

Have you THANKED a Veteran lately for the freedoms you take for granted each day?
Old 11/14/2005, 01:31 PM
Tailspot Blenny

how cold does it get down in oxnard at night? Doesn't it dip near 55 degrees in the winter? I know it does occasionally get pretty cold down in Santa Barbara. Does your garage have pretty good insulation? Or do you have your heaters running like crazy? =)
Old 11/14/2005, 01:59 PM
I yam what I yam

Yea it gets cold at night. But with 500 gallons, the temp stays pretty stable. My heater is set to come on at 76 and I run fans in the gargae during the day. The temp usuall varys between 78 in the morning and 81 during the hot afternoons.

My garage is not insulated and gets hot during the day due to lack of external ventilation. I have two exhaust fans that blow air in from a vent but the exhaust vent for the garage is on the other side from there and is down low behind my compressor so it does get a bit warm in there.

When it moves into the sunroom, it may be a different story as it will get direct sunlight amlost all day. The main windo wall of teh room faces south so I get full sun in the room. I do have 2 celing fans in the room and will be installing 2 bathroom exhaust fans inside the tank canopy/fish room to exhaust the heat outside. It will just be those Sana Ana hot days that I'll have to worry about the most.

I leave my water storage tanks outside and the temp gets a bit warm in them late in the day because they are heated by the sun and are closed up. But for the most part, they too stay a constant temp. I just haven't measured it yet.

Old 11/14/2005, 07:02 PM
Network Samurai

Here ya go....

http://www.watertanks.com/transporttanks/

Kinda pricey tho http://www.watertanks.com/category/152/
Old 11/15/2005, 10:10 AM
I yam what I yam

Yea a bit pricey bt you may be able to find a good used one that's clean.

Old 11/15/2005, 01:44 PM
Tailspot Blenny

nice find! definately pricey but could be worth it. One holds 400+ gallons! Wow. That would almost last me a year for water changes on my 32. I change about 10 gallons a week. (biweekly 5 gallon water changes).
Old 12/02/2005, 02:54 AM
Registered Member

I got mine next to the Adelphia Office 100g I dont remember exactly the price but I did check around and it was the best price and I didn't need it shipped.
Old 12/02/2005, 02:48 PM
Registered Member

Talking

hey is the water good yet or should i wait
Old 12/02/2005, 03:24 PM
Network Samurai

A friend did a water change this week (Tuesday's water) and his tank is fine. I plan on doing a water change this weekend with water I picked up on Wednesday.
Old 12/02/2005, 03:33 PM
Registered Member

cool thx i just wasnt sure
Old 12/08/2005, 07:03 PM
Network Samurai

Water quality sucks today. Lots of brown algae and cloudy water. Not sure what's going on but today the water looks like ____.
Old 12/09/2005, 12:01 PM
I yam what I yam

I hope it looks better on Saturday. I'm headed up Sat morn to get another 300+ G for a waterchange. Dave, you want to stop by and get a orange ric? Let me know.

Old 12/09/2005, 12:17 PM
Network Samurai

Shaw! What time on Saturday? Im picking up more water today to finish off the nano at work.. Ill let you know how the water looks. Might have to bring a sock filter
Old 12/09/2005, 12:20 PM
I yam what I yam

I'm leaving my house around 6 am so I'll be there around 7 or a little later. If your going to be up there then, I can bring you a orange ric if your still looking for one. You'll just have to kill of the hitch hicker apstia or break off that part of the rock. Or you can stop by the house and see if there's anything else you want for your frag tank. I may have a toadstool frag as well. Let me know. I can PM you my numbers if your going to come over.

Old 12/09/2005, 12:39 PM
TRC Leader

Is anyone still looking for a large (550 gallon) storage tank? I have one that I need to get rid of.

BTW it's in Thousand Oaks, not Long Beach.

-Ken

MASLAC member
Old 12/09/2005, 12:52 PM
I yam what I yam

How much? Size, type, pic's.

Old 12/09/2005, 03:40 PM
Network Samurai

Speaking of tanks... a pic of one from the IMAC website http://www.theimac.org/picts12/Dale%20Truck.jpg

Ray - I will hopefully NOT be up here in Goleta tomorrow. Gotta help the wife setup her booth at another festival in Ventura, then I should be free to roam. How about after lunch?
Old 12/09/2005, 03:56 PM
I yam what I yam

OK. I'll PM you some numbers. Just call first as I may be in Ventura at a Harley shop checking out some goodies for the new bike.

Old 12/09/2005, 04:49 PM
Network Samurai

Is this the bike that's "more comfortable"?

Just got some water. Considerably less floating crap than the other day. Its been pretty calm in the channel this week as far as I can tell from the shore so I dont know what the deal was the other day.

Maybe the sand filter was worked on?
Old 12/09/2005, 09:45 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by blown63chevy
How much? Size, type, pic's.
Sent you a PM.

-Ken

MASLAC member
Old 12/09/2005, 09:49 PM
Slave to Lower Life Forms

I just got some yesterday, but I was in a big hurry to get to my next site, so I haven't really looked at it. It was glass calm though, like good for water skiing calm all day while I was up there. I'll see what it looks like when I get home. If you don't hear from me tonight, consider it good.
Old 12/10/2005, 01:18 AM
Network Samurai

I just setup my resealed NanoCube 12 at work with about 10 gallons of NSW. After a few minutes with the pumps on the water is crystal clear.

My other tanks are doing fine after a water change on Wednesday. I even had a nice Gold Bellied Blue Damsel in my prop tank (call him the canary in the mine shaft) and he was doing just fine until he found the inlet to my powerhead
Poor guy.