Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/30/2007, 10:59 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by Theexp
Whew! Finally caught up. Great thread. It was really intersting to read. Prevented me from doing hw..Thanks i guess. But Great tank, I really love the open aquascaping. This was one of the more exciting 40+ page reads. (i read alot of them becuase i'm new to the hobby and don't have alot of money, so i just research, and read other peoples threads haha). But great tank, and awesome job recording the ENTIRE process. even tacos. mmmm
lol thanks. Always glad to contribute to something productive not getting done
Old 05/30/2007, 11:00 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by muelpaul
Hey NG, I think that is the first time I saw your sump, looks great just like your tank

This thread is the best!
Thanks fellow addict! I wanted to go bigger but that's the biggest I could fit under my stand without building an acrylic one. So it will work for now. Eventually I still want to build a bigger one so I can have a bigger fuge.
Old 05/30/2007, 11:31 PM
Registered Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ursus
[B]Thanks. If I could have a polar bear, I would. That would be sick. check it out you too can keep polar bears!
seriously, NG, your tank is pretty damn nice. do you find that ocean has enough room in the 75? i am gonna start up my first marine system in a couple months and am probably gonna go with a 4' tank, and LOOVE pbt's, but im concerned about the 4' length. how does ocean feel about it?
edit for the concerned: thats a 4' 120g im talkin bout
Old 05/31/2007, 12:35 AM
Girls Rule!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dwd5813
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by Ursus
do you find that ocean has enough room in the 75? i am gonna start up my first marine system in a couple months and am probably gonna go with a 4' tank, and LOOVE pbt's, but im concerned about the 4' length. how does ocean feel about it?
edit for the concerned: thats a 4' 120g im talkin bout
lol.. that link is great.

About PBT's.

My initial reaction to your question (and one I've asked myself a LOT lately) is exactly that, IDK is a 4' tank big enough for a PBT?

Let me start by explaining my situation. A 75g is way too small for a PBT. I know this. Why did I do it? Bc I got a small 3" PBT to raise up in this tank and then to transfer over to a larger tank once we move next summer.

Would I advise anyone else to do this?

No I would not. Why? Because our tank was pretty much setup to raise only a PBT and not other fish. We left lots of open space to roam, plus lots of crevices and hides for him to swim in and out of (which works great with our eel design).

We also did not add any other fish that were aggressive or would compete with him for room. (the scopas was bought before we decided to go ahead with the PBT which we were going to return to the store after seeing their reaction)

I don't think it would be possible to raise even a 3" PBT in a 75 that had other fish that competed for space. There isn't enough room for the PBT to get away and do it's thing. They are very aggressive, and stress easily. They are very territorial and would stress never being able to get away IMO.

As for the 4' or 6' tank? I am struggling with that as well. I think a 120g setup only for a PBT would work, but I think a 6' tank would be a lot better. I think the extra 2' of length to roam and get away would be a lot better for a PBT then extra height or width. And that's not a happy thought for me bc I originally wanted to get a 120g also. I love the way they look.

I am thinking that a 125 or bigger 6' tank would be best for a PBT. I don't think a 125 with a PBT and another tang is big enough either. I really think they need more room to get away from each other. I may try two at some point in the future, but I don't think I will with Ocean. He will be used to being the only aggressive fish, and I think the addition of another will only cause stress and problems.

I think the best chance would be to buy two small tangs and raise them up together, and minimize any other fish added, especially aggressive fish or roamers.

For now, Ocean is happy and doing well. I know he's happy bc I now know the signs of stress (white bars) and swimming motions (tilting/flattening) to look for. I've only had my PBT a few weeks, but I've spent a TON of time watching this fish. They fascinate me.

I am actually going to be writing up some stuff about PBT's and my experiences with Ocean. When I do I'll post it here for everyone to read.

Old 05/31/2007, 12:40 AM
Registered Member

ng, did you remove the hinged top panel of your canopy for the temporary pvc hanger for your halides?
Old 05/31/2007, 12:44 AM
Girls Rule!

Yes, the plan is to eventually remove the black pvc hanger and put the lid back on the canopy. The corals are responding well to the light acclimation so I am hopeful I will be able to do so eventually.
Old 05/31/2007, 12:54 AM
Registered Member

good idea. i think i will use that. nice to see you over at the other forum also...
Old 05/31/2007, 01:02 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drummereef
lol! Yeah, I learned to type with all three of my fingers.
Quote:
Originally posted by Criminal#58369
I can type with all 10 of mine, i took keyboarding when i was in high school.
Wouldn't that be 8 fingers and 2 thumbs
Old 05/31/2007, 02:28 AM
Registered Member

Nice sump, I don't see a clamps on your return pump. I did that for a while, then one night the pump spit out the return vinyl tubing. What a mess. Good thing the water tripped my GFCI.
Now I use 316 stainless steel hose clamps on my all my connections. They don't rust as quickly and I replace them every couple of years just to be safe.
1 Yellow Tang, 1 Green Chromis, 1 Yellow Tail Damsel
1 Cleaner Shrimp,1 Pepppermint Shrimp
Old 05/31/2007, 06:47 AM
Registered Member

I reckon that you'll end up getting the 6 footer. You'll end up doing whats best for ocean I know that you like the look of the 120, but we know better

Great updates, and love the reasonning behind what you are doing.

Cheers

Chris.
Old 05/31/2007, 10:54 AM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by dga
good idea. i think i will use that. nice to see you over at the other forum also...
Thanks
Old 05/31/2007, 10:55 AM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by Aztlan_LA
Nice sump, I don't see a clamps on your return pump. I did that for a while, then one night the pump spit out the return vinyl tubing. What a mess. Good thing the water tripped my GFCI.
Now I use 316 stainless steel hose clamps on my all my connections. They don't rust as quickly and I replace them every couple of years just to be safe.
I'll look into that, thanks. Right now I have it zip tied to the bulkead.. it holds.. but it would probably be safter to get something a bit more secure. I'd hate to have it break off!
Old 05/31/2007, 10:56 AM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by chris wright
I reckon that you'll end up getting the 6 footer. You'll end up doing whats best for ocean I know that you like the look of the 120, but we know better

Great updates, and love the reasonning behind what you are doing.

Cheers

Chris.
LoL thanks Chris Yea, you're probably right. Grr.. I hate being responsible and doing the right thing! :P
Old 05/31/2007, 11:18 AM
Registered Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dwd5813
[B]
Quote:
Thanks. If I could have a polar bear, I would. That would be sick. check it out you too can keep polar bears!
Haha. I forgot about this article. One polar bear habitat coming up!
Old 05/31/2007, 11:44 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Haha. I forgot about this article. One polar bear habitat coming up!
Haha thats beary nice
Old 05/31/2007, 01:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NanoGurl
LoL thanks Chris Yea, you're probably right. Grr.. I hate being responsible and doing the right thing! :P
Being responsible and doing the right thing is waaaay over-rated.
Old 05/31/2007, 01:55 PM
Registered Member

Lol at sfilingeri. This is by far my fav. thread.

I just spent a half hour scraping the coralline off my front glass. That's the last time I procrastinate doing that.

My poor hand.
Old 05/31/2007, 02:36 PM
Reefin' Ain't Easy!

If i was to upgrade my tank, i think id go 180/220/280 gallon something along that size, when i get my own home, i hope to get one this size and build it into the wall (much easier than having to clean the dust off the stand and keep it clean plus more room to work on the tank) and have a tank room to keep all my supples and all in. Much better than having the qt, ro/di unit and buckets/supples sitting next to the tank.
"All the clownfish and yellow tangs in the world can't help you now!" - Peter Griffin
Old 05/31/2007, 03:27 PM
Registered Member

Yep, wouldn't we all like to have a big built-in with a fishroom behind it. Many of our spouses/SO's would too, no clutter, smell, spills...only the beautiful fish and corals that magically feed themselves, clean themselves, and without any apparent help are spectacular.

NG...you continue to have a fun and entertaining thread...and great pictures! Glad ocean is doing well...if he only knew of the grand plans you have for him...
Old 05/31/2007, 04:01 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by Katgrrl
Being responsible and doing the right thing is waaaay over-rated.
Yea! You're so right gf! LoL
Old 05/31/2007, 04:10 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by hansmatt
NG...you continue to have a fun and entertaining thread...and great pictures! Glad ocean is doing well...if he only knew of the grand plans you have for him...
Thanks! Yea, I really hope he lives long term. I'm gonna do whatever I can for the butthead!
Old 05/31/2007, 04:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NanoGurl
Nope, you're right.. good eyes! I placed another heater in their to help keep the temps constant for now while my tang battles the black ich. Higher temps helps him.. and the heater in my sump wasn't able to keep it stable at 81 degrees. It fluctuated too much which I didn't want to happen right now, so I just stuck this one where I could get to it easily.

The Jager heaters are huge. This one won't fit in my sump. It's like 17' long it's ridiculous.

Here is a photo of my sump. 29g.
OMG, is that your sump? Its soo simple! I think i over did my sump. ITs a lil complicated....funny thing is, I wanted to keep it simple.
Ill post pics of it in my thread soon.....kinda embarrassed about it though....
Old 05/31/2007, 04:50 PM
Girls Rule!

Yea, sumps don't need to be too complicated. You can add lots of cool things to them though to help out. Unforunately, they are beyond me at this point!

But I'm slowly suckering Marc into building me one for my next upgrade cuz he's soooo cool! LoL
Old 05/31/2007, 04:55 PM
This statement is false.

You have quite a bit of flow in that sump (turbulent surface flow). Is your return pump overrated for the tank's size? I think it is cool - I have trouble getting some surface goo removed from my sumps cause the water is not as turbulent.
Old 05/31/2007, 05:10 PM
Girls Rule!

No, it's a Mag 5. I actually downgraded from a Mag 9 to reduce the flow. It has worked fairly well, but I still get microbubbles.