Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/22/2006, 01:22 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Many of you have stated that for smaller ticket items, i.e. meds, foods, etc you buy local and for larger items you shop online. Does that mean we are wasting our time stocking pumps, filters, etc?
You might consider designing, or, if your budget allows, paying to have designed what is known as a market survey. You can read up on it in a variety of undergraduate level marketing books or you can find a local college, talk to a marketing professor, and find a willing college student to do it for extra credit. The answer for a small, local business is going to be tailored to your current customers and your available market.

I buy all of my food and small supplies at the LFS, even if I can buy it much cheaper online. It's a convenience thing. Generally, when I need these items, I need them today. Bulbs are another thing that might fit into this category. If one breaks, I need one today.

As for livestock: live rock and a clean up crew "package". A big stock of reasonably priced live rock, even if you cultured it yourself to save money, is a thing of beauty. Same with live sand, several different tanks of biologically diverse live sand would be nice. Notice I'm sticking to basics. Have your basics covered. Run a special on live sand once a month with a different supply of live sand, to encourage your aquarists to come in and pick up a few pounds of new live sand. It's a good habit for them, and when they come in your store, you can have a display that might just encourage them to put down a few dollars.

Quote:
Do you even check locally before buying filters and pumps or do you just assume were too pricey and go straight to the internet?
No. After I did some basic research, I just buy them online now. Occassionally I'll pick up a pump at a LFS and just sigh. I'd keep a couple on hand for display and replace the number that sell during the week.

Quote:
What about livestock?
If you keep nice, healthy displays, livestock can be a huge impulse buy for many hobbyists.

Quote:
whats your opinion of COOL?
Try running a few tanks or shelves of "specials" every week. They can be things you normally don't carry or discounted items. They should be prominantly displayed. If it's discounted items that are normally in the store, there should be signage and/or move the items to a different tank/shelf. People are impressed with a rotating stock. Change things up a bit. As a bonus, people will come back just for the specials.
Old 02/22/2006, 01:25 AM
XenMaster

For an e-commerce company, your website is your salesperson and whatever information is placed on it could be "objective" in a nice term, but it very well could be bias as well. Don't get me wrong, I never use absolutes because I know there will be that 1 or 2 site/salesperson that will go against the norm. I'm one of them, I won't sell you something I want to sell you, I'd sell you something that you want/need. My statements are never meant to be an absolute rule, but a more general rule of thumb. But are the information on websites always accurate? Not always. Either way, there's always going to be good information and bad information, and much like reef keeping, it will be up to the person on what they determine is best,useful,logical,etc. To me, that is what makes this hobby fun and exciting, because someone will come up with something you never thought of, or someone will absolutely love your idea and use it.
In regards to purchasing online versus store; I won't say I purchase 100% dry goods online. There are times when I'm in a rush and I'll get it locally, and there are times when it's cheaper locally than online. I've seen LFS here in SoCali come and go, or change owners and the most successful ones carry a diversity of products, but also, at the same time, I've caught some purposefully giving bad tips like say...selling a trigger to cycle a tank, which does drive sales, but horrible for their reputation if caught. As my former boss told me "everyone's gotta watch out for themselves"
I am not immune to this online buying trend either. I do have customers who'll try to slash my prices by telling me they find it online for X dollars. My simple reply is, how valuable is your time plus don't forget shipping and smile... Sorry for rambling on..
Rio1700 w/ SWCD return
2 Rio600 w/ HydorFl0 attachments.
Powered by Seachem;Verified by Salifert
Old 02/22/2006, 01:35 AM
XenMaster

When I see NFS (Not For Sale) corals, makes me visit the shop over and over again to see if they're finally on sale. Sometimes the price is steep like $10/polyp for cloves, but since I've been visitting the place so many times to see wassup, I jump on the chance to buy it. Sometimes I'll see something I'll really want, and I'll ask just out of curiousity even though it's NFS, if it's within reason and my budget, I'd splurge on it.
Rio1700 w/ SWCD return
Old 02/22/2006, 01:42 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
"objective" in a nice term, but it very well could be bias as well
The reason websites tend to be more objective is because the information can be easily verified without the intervention of the website owner. High pressure sales sites and frauds aside, any ecommerce site that puts bias in front of facts is hurting themselves. Sure, there's marketing information all over many websites, especially for things like consumer electronics, but the ability to search for reviews and customer experience is king. At the local fish store, even if you are providing textbook objectivity, without being able to get third party reviews, a consumer can't purchase with the same confidence. That's of course, where trust comes in. It doesn't sound to me like that's a big issue for you, but for your customers, it may be a whole different ball of wax. (My comments aren't meant to be a slight to LFS owners or employees. There's just certain limitations of each style of business. Objectivity is inherantly limited in brick and mortar, which produces a high level of cognative dissonance.)

Quote:
But are the information on websites always accurate?
Is the moon made of cheese?
Old 02/22/2006, 01:47 AM
XenMaster

You forgot the "Not Always" statement after that..
Quote:
But are the information on websites always accurate? Not always.
Rio1700 w/ SWCD return
Old 02/22/2006, 01:49 AM
Registered Member

Old 02/22/2006, 01:50 AM
Registered Member

When I care about wasting money I shop online.

on those occassions when I do'nt care about wasting money I go to the LFS and waste money.

Josh
Old 02/22/2006, 02:22 AM
Registered Member

wow..this is great..just what i was looking for..burnt out, we sell fluval 404 for $169.99.. i checked doc fosters they have it for 124.99 plus $10.99 shipping... are we close enough?? i agree with the yellow tang comment, i was just trying to give you an example. BTW yellow tangs in this neck of the woods are sold anywhere from 18 to20 dollars.
sequen - great advise!! we do some of that now, but your right we should make a habit out of it. i have to hit the sack now...its late and 6am will be here before i know it. i cant wait to read everyones thoughts in the morning. keep 'em coming. good nite.
Old 02/22/2006, 02:29 AM
XenMaster

My local LFS sells the Maxijet 1200 for $22.95. That was one of m y recent LFS purchases, let see what else have I purchased...
2 HydroFlo attachments $19.99, $17.99 for 2nd one
Tetra Nitrate Kit $9.99
Rio 600 pump $24.99
Denitrate $16.99
Algone $8.99
My metal halide kit was bought used over 3 years ago tho..
Rio1700 w/ SWCD return
Old 02/22/2006, 02:35 AM
Registered Member

one more thing.... we are an exclusive saltwater shop and fluvals or any canisters arent on our top 10 list of filters to offer our s/w customers. we prefer other methods of filtration like wet/dry, refugiums, and for the hobbyist that has a smaller system and doesnt have the $$$ for that type of filtration i would even suggest some sort of hang on like cpr bak pak in conjunction with a good power filter like the emperor over a closed system like a canister filter. For the sake of just price comparison for the online customer i suppose a fluval works as well as anything. But im not sure that were as competitive on the fluval as we might be on other items.
Old 02/22/2006, 02:53 AM
Moved On

Here's one thing that one of my LFS does that is hugely successful. Every Sunday they have a 20-30-40 sale on all livestock. First item 20% off, second item 30% off, and third item 40% off. Their store is always PACKED on a Sunday and people more often than not buy other stuff besides livestock. It's the sale that brings in the customers and once they're there they're bound to see and buy. Simple marketing but it works.

D.
Old 02/22/2006, 02:53 AM
XenMaster

I think most of us understand the concept of overhead and such. Business in today's world is starting to evolve into volume. Unless you have really skilled sales people who can sell an entire setup in 1 try, chances are the best way to make money is to get t he product to move by pricing a little bit higher than online pricing. I think that way, most buyers are willing to spend a few bucks more just to get the item sooner, however, taxes are a huge benefit of buying online since you don't pay tax out of state.
At my old company , we had sales people who would help customers out on the retail showroom, only to tell them to call our internet number to get internet pricing, that's business cannibalism. Products in the store sold for $299.95 were selling for $249.95 online.
Rio1700 w/ SWCD return