Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/08/2003, 05:30 AM
Reformed Delinquent

My only comment. What are your hours and how much is admission?

Mike
Old 09/08/2003, 07:20 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

Quote:
My only comment. What are your hours and how much is admission?
LOL

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 09/08/2003, 08:59 AM
Registered Member

The tank looks great but the white and the brown in front don't go well togeather for my taste.
Old 09/08/2003, 09:17 AM

DNA, I agree with you. It looks like the white is taking away from the tank. You're eyes go to the crown molding first than the tank. I would darken it (nuetral/pastel color) and possibly make the molding smaller. Thats just my thoughts.
Old 09/08/2003, 09:50 AM
Queen Supreme multitasker

I didn't think I would agree that the trim would be too white. I think it is though with the wall color. I do *love* the wall color though. You might want to take the trim a shade, just a shade darker with high gloss trim paint. We painted our fireplace with a heavy paint just a *shade* darker and it looks great. Not something I usually like.

It would blend it better with the wall though and not be so stark against the wall. More highlighting the tank vs being such a contrast.

Money can't buy happiness, but neither can poverty.
- Leo Rosten
Old 09/08/2003, 10:00 AM

i wouldnt even use a high gloss paint. more of an eggshell finish paint. If you notice some of the other tanks that have crown molding, like 64Ivy's and steve weast, its a dull color because your right, it doesnt match the wall color.
Old 09/08/2003, 11:00 AM
Registered Member

Whoa there! Cut the man some slack. You just witnessed a miracle so no complaining. This is a Reefers wet dream (no pun intended) so just relax and enjoy it.
Weatherson- thank you for sharing this with us. You and your tank are truely inspirational. I will be quite upset if you are the Tank of the Month for October.
Old 09/08/2003, 11:42 AM
Never Satisfied!!

Weatherson,
So..., did you already get another Sailfin, I see one in the tank. I thought you lost it??!!!

I also agree about the white molding.., too much "in your face". Neutral would be better and closer to the wall color.
Below is a link showing my tank on the flush side in the livingroom ( my tank is a see through.., 1 side in the kitchen and the other in the livingroom) just to show you I went with a kinda similar color for the wall and used a darkish stain on my moldings.
Old 09/08/2003, 11:43 AM
Never Satisfied!!

.... and just to give you an idea of the kitchenside setup, here's a pic of that too.
Old 09/08/2003, 01:43 PM
Premium Member

Geeze! (wiping tears from my eyes) How quickly they turn on you! Just kidding. I appreciate ALL comments and I wish there would have been more like this throughout the thread. They not only benefit me but all the people who followed along quietly getting ideas.
First of all, the wall paint color didn't turn out to be exactly what I had envisioned but I like it just the same. As to the molding, I agree to the point that it's a little more contrasty (my word) than it should be but it's not as bad as the photo shows. Remember that I shot that at night with a flash as the only means of lighting and we are relying on a 4-year-old digital camera. Truly not the best to try to convey colors accurately as well as lighting (contrast). Therefore, I have a couple of other photos taken today with daylight and you should get a better idea of the molding color. It is in fact an off-white color (cream). Nevertheless, perhaps it’s still not as off-white as it should be.

esmithiii: I'm glad this helped out.

Mr_Quality: Believe it or not, just about a mile from my house there is a site where the future home of a public aquarium is slated to be built. Keep in mind that I live in Fresno, CA, 2.5 hours east of Monterey where the Monterey Bay Aquarium is located. One very spectacular public aquarium. So, while I hope for its success, I also find it difficult to understand. If they do not get it done, I may have to open my doors! Thanks.

DNA: Thanks for the comments and please check out the new photos and tell me what you think.

invincible569: Ditto but as to the molding width, I do not agree. My original plan was to have a frame much like a picture frame. I do understand the thought that it detracts from the tank, but photographs just cannot give you a good perspective. I think if you could see it in person, you would see the vast wall size and see that it is balanced to this. But then again, we are in an area of personal taste. Thanks for the input.

Mr Limpett: Thanks but I am not bothered by the comments. Truly, I can appreciate them. I had been thinking all throughout this thread that people were a little too nice but perhaps it was just that those with criticisms kept quite. Thanks for the kind words. If I read that right, you "will" be upset if I am TOTM? Hmmm. I have a long way to go for any possibility of such a high honor but something to strive for.

Toutouche: Yes, I did replace the Sailfin. I couldn't stand not seeing him or another in there. Incredible tank you have there and I do love the wood surround. Out of curiosity, how long has it been up and running? Thanks for sharing and your comments.
Old 09/08/2003, 01:51 PM
Queen Supreme multitasker

OK #1, my husband is incredibly impressed with what you have built, it isn't easy to impress him, but you did. His words were though "Wonder how much that set him back" Always thinking about the finances

Toutouche, your tank and home are gorgeous. Love the cherry wood.

Money can't buy happiness, but neither can poverty.
- Leo Rosten
Old 09/08/2003, 01:55 PM
Premium Member

Here's a shot taken today that has better lighting with more accurate colors. Note the overall wall size. As a point of reference, remember the tank is 8 feet long. You can see better the molding color which is an off-white. I'm not trying to convince anyone, just point out my reasoning.

Last edited by Skipper; 04/03/2004 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09/08/2003, 01:57 PM
Premium Member

And here, a shot a little closer.

Last edited by Skipper; 04/03/2004 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09/08/2003, 02:13 PM
Premium Member

llpoolej: Glad my work was able to impress some of the difficult to impress croud out there. As to finances, probably a lot less than he thinks considering I had most all the equipment already from my old 65 gallon. The tank itself was by far the most costly as you can imagine. If you totalled everything including the equipment from the old tank, I would say probably.... I shouldn't think such thoughts! Seriously, what these tanks have given me and others is well worth the costs. This project alone has been better than if I'd gone for therapy costing twice as much! Thanks for the comments.
Old 09/08/2003, 02:44 PM
Deaf Reefer

hmm I didnt read page 5 but I feel the frame is a bit too thick, makes tank look smaller any chance getting thinner ones ?
Windows for Solitaire
Old 09/08/2003, 02:53 PM
Registered Member

Hmm, it looks much much better in the last images

BTW Touch, one thing I love doing is looking at the homes in which these tanks are in, you are the reason why
Old 09/08/2003, 03:35 PM
Premium Member

This is a little off subject but I thought I would post a shot of one of the biggest Acropora pieces in the tank. Primarily to show the new growth since being in the new tank (about 2 weeks now). This piece had grown to the water surface in the old tank and obviously, growth came to a halt. If you look at the photo you can see darker areas at the branch ends that are stubby and rounded over. This is the old end growth. Since being placed in the new tank, new growth is sprouting due to being lower in the tank and room to grow. This new growth is seen as "pointy", tubular, lighter in color branch ends. This piece has always been a fast growing specimen but I think it may have plans for total tank domination!

Last edited by Skipper; 04/03/2004 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09/08/2003, 03:46 PM
Premium Member

Hey Toutouche,
Did I miss your photo essay of setting up that beauty?
Direct me if I did, or start your own thread if I didn't !
Seriously, love to see a thread about the construction of yours too!
Steve
Old 09/08/2003, 03:46 PM

weatherson, i dotn mean to be mean if i come off that way like what other people took it as. Your last pictures do look a lot better. I can see the cream in the frame now. Your tank is definitely AWESOME! No doubt about that!
Old 09/08/2003, 03:51 PM
Premium Member

Clyde: The only molding I could find locally (I looked many places) with the profile I liked were the one I used (4" wide) and another (3" wide) that when held in place looked a little too small, proportionately. While this is a subjective matter, in person and seeing the whole "great" room, I felt the wider piece a better choice, as did the wife. Thanks for the comments.

D5HP: Those photos are definitely more true to life. Thanks.

invincible569: I didn't take it that way at all and appreciate your input. Thanks.
Old 09/08/2003, 04:09 PM

Thanks weatherson. I felt bad for stating my own opinion. Are you going to add anymore rock? I like the open look like that.. a bit more rock would be nice.. but not a whole lot. but thats just me again.
Old 09/08/2003, 04:13 PM

weatherson.. does your light aluminum fixture get tremendously hot since its all metal? Would putting a coat of nonmetal over it help? Like Dynomat. I know its for sound.. but somekind of covering to keep the room cooler. You should of used Carbon Fiber! JK
Old 09/08/2003, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

Nice very nice!!!!
Old 09/08/2003, 05:03 PM
Premium Member

invincible569: Your own opinion is welcome here as is everyone elses. Thank goodness for different ideas and opinions. As to the hood and heat, it only gets slightly warm to the touch at the far right end. This is the end where air is vented out so heat combines at this point. The oposite end is cool as fresh air is drawn in here. No need for any insulation with the current light situation but future upgrades may require a rethinking of this. Haven't given it too much thought but I have seen dual sided foil type insulation with a sandwiched air barrier between. As to the rock, yes, more rock is to be added. If you look back in the thread, there is a shot of 180 pounds that I've yet to add. For that matter, I've yet to aquascape so things are going to change drastically. The center of the tank will remain in an open state though.

posjr: Thanks.
Old 09/08/2003, 07:32 PM
Registered Member

You sound like you are gonna scape it like two mounds on the sides, and open in the middle, if so, that will look really really good!