Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/07/2007, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

Don't buy the fish unless you see it eat. Make sure also it doesn't have swim bladder disease which is common in angels of this family because of the deep water they are taken from.

Also that sailfin may be too much for it. My powder blue picks on my bellus and if you read up there earlier in the thread, the powder blue is going to find a new home.
Old 12/07/2007, 10:06 PM
Registered Member

Yes make sure the bellus eats. The one I got was fighting the tangs for food in the LFS tanks. Also it may or may not be okay with the tangs.

If you still want to try, make sure the snot and mouth is clean and no damages. Also keep an eye on how it swims. They are very prone to get swim bladder disease.
Old 12/07/2007, 10:11 PM
Premium Member

Thanks. So if it is perfectly upright and swims normally, it doesn't have swim bladder disease, right?

I do wonder about my tang. He likes to chase his foxface buddy a little bit, and of course foxface just puts his spines out and that's the end of that. It seems like friendly play as they follow eachother around all day.
Old 12/07/2007, 11:18 PM
Registered Member

From what I've read, if it does have swim bladder disease it will kind of teetter todder and not be as active swimming back and forth like a regular fish does...
Old 12/08/2007, 01:16 PM
Registered Member

My LFS has one in for $45 but I am worried that it will harass my other fish especially my Potters Angel am I correct in thinking this or should I suck it up and go buy it???????????
Old 12/08/2007, 01:19 PM
Registered Member

$45! Thats quite a STEAL! I got mine for $60 with the club discount.

You can always trade in the potters! Hah... as with all fish, never certain what will happen, but from what I can see its a pretty mellow fish. Doesnt pick on tang, clowns or royal gramma. Only fish that mine picks on is the damsel... SCORE!
Old 12/08/2007, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

well I do have alot of peaceful fish in the tank and dont want this one to harass any of them.......
Old 12/08/2007, 03:04 PM
Premium Member

Guys,
My Bellus stopped eating, and is swimming alot around the top of my tank, kinda like bobbing up and down... Looks like he is eating air?? Is this normal for them to swim at the top??

Last edited by DarthSimon; 12/08/2007 at 03:28 PM.
Old 12/08/2007, 04:49 PM
Premium Member

Is it vertically oriented and bobbing up and down? If so, it's not normal. Do you have a QT tank? If so, try to get him in there and treat with an antibiotic as it may have a swim bladder infection. I hope it's okay....not all antibiotics would be effective. I recommend that you post on Lee Birch's forum on www.reeffrontiers.com
Old 12/08/2007, 05:15 PM
Premium Member

No, He is swimming horizontal.... But then points up and sticks his head out of the water slightly... He is swimming good...... Just stopped eating... He was a new fish addition about 7 days ago. First 2-3 days, he was eating no problem... anything I fed the tank....
Old 12/08/2007, 05:17 PM
Registered Member

I've never seen a bellus here for that price! I've seen them on line for $300. I'd grab that. They are peaceful fish and won't harrass anything but an anthias maybe.

Kay
Old 12/08/2007, 05:23 PM
Premium Member

well that's good that it's swimming properly. If it doesn't eat by tomorrow I'd still put it in a QT and treat it with an antibiotic like maricyn two or something like that. Lee Birch is a marine biologist fish expert so give him a shout if you can.
Old 12/08/2007, 05:28 PM
Premium Member

It's been 2 days since has last eaten anything... The food floats right by him.... I kept the lights off today to keep him calm... Let's see what happens... I do see some white spots on him, most likely ich.. I just checked... The ich must be stressing him out... Hopefully this will pass in a few days... I don't have a q tank setup..... I recently transfered my 55 G tank to my new 120..... I had ich in my 55 a few months back, but by soaking foods in garlic, selcon, and UV Sterilizer, it went away....
Old 12/08/2007, 05:32 PM
Premium Member

DarthSimon,

Your treating the foods that way didn't make the ich go away so it's still in your system. I'm sorry to hear. Can you set one up? I'm afraid you're going to lose that fish....
Old 12/08/2007, 06:13 PM
Registered Member

I just went and looked at it again I believe it is a male that has not changed colors yet... he is only 1.5-2.5" I dont know if I want to try it or not he will be going into a 76 half circle thats why I am worried since its not a huge tank I figured the two might clash and I love Potters Angels so I am still undecided
Old 12/09/2007, 12:46 AM
Registered Member

rottbo, I wish you could get them to ship me that fish.

On the angel that's swimming funny, do you have access to a qt? If you lower the salinity that will help the fish. Study the threads on ich. If you act fast you may can save him.

When I found my angel in the overflow, she had bad bacterial infection. I lowered the salinity and treated with Furan 2 for 6 days straight and had to change the water every day. Now I'm slowly raising it back up, but in reading Terry B.'s stuff, hyposalinity really helps a sick fish even if it's not ich, but hypo salinity is the best treatment for ich in my opinion.
Old 12/09/2007, 09:23 AM
Registered Member

Well my potters comes in on Tuesday so if they still have the bellus I will buy it if he picks on my potters then he will spend his days in the frag tank
Old 12/09/2007, 12:50 PM
Premium Member

Well, she is doing much better last 24-36 hours... She is now swimming all parts of the tank, no more top.. She also ate some flake food this morning... I saw here eat one or two bites.... What are you guys feeding?? I feed all my fish a mixture of things... Flake, Mysid, Bloodworms, Brine, (All Meaty Foods soaked in Garlic Xtreme, Selcon VitC)...

I just tried Formula One Pellets, they seem a tad big for most of the fish.... The Bellus went up to a few of the pellets, but passed up on it....

Any suggestions?
here is a pic...

Last edited by DarthSimon; 12/09/2007 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12/09/2007, 01:57 PM
Registered Member

Mine eats Forumula 2 flake, nori, mysis, and a homemade fish food I buy at my club that has a variety of meaty stuff. She even eats small pieces of krill. They do like some green in their diet. I also soak in garlic and vitamins.
Old 12/11/2007, 11:50 AM
Premium Member

Well, She is eating one or 2 pieces of food every feeding, that I can see.... It almost has to be right in front of her... Almost like I have to target feed her...

She is no longer swimming at the top for air.... Also don't see any ich spots....

Another thing I notice is she swims the same swim pattern almost every time... Around the same rocks, around the same corners, and comes back around.. Is this normal??
Old 12/11/2007, 12:18 PM
Registered Member

Well, at least she's eating. As long as she's eating she should improve. Mine has acted like that before. She didn't do that when she had a swimming buddy, but when she's alone she's real shy and hides a lot. Mine paired up with a blue tang and they were inseparable swimming around the tank, but I had to sell the blue tang 'cause it got too big. Now she's in a qt tank. She will not eat again. I put the food in and it floats right by her and she looks at it and acts interested but doesn't eat. I'm feeding her all her favorite food that she used to pig out on. I don't know if I can save her. I've done everything I can think of.

I wouldn't worry about the fish unless she quits eating.
Old 12/11/2007, 12:54 PM
Premium Member

Mine looks like an ugly duckling... She is in between color changes... I'm hoping she gets here female colors soon...
Old 12/11/2007, 03:05 PM
Registered Member

Ice storm here my potters didnt come in maybe tommorow but I forgot to ask if they still have the bellus hopefully tommorow I can get both
Old 12/12/2007, 10:09 AM
Premium Member

So my latest feeding regimen.... My Bellus still passes on all Mysis and meaty foods. Today I tried some Red Pellet Granules, Tetra brand and she loved it... Ate prolly 15-20 Bites... Boy this Fish is picky......
Old 12/15/2007, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

Hi, I just 2 female bellus yesterday, 1 is bigger than the other... Observed some minor bickering, but sometimes swimming together...
Is there any possibility that the more dominant one will change to male over time?