Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/06/2007, 11:11 AM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Quote:
Originally posted by Cubman777
Reading as a neutral observer, it just appears that the BIg Ten is horrible. The end results will tell the story.
I was amazed at the rent a victims nearly every team in the Big Ten fills their out of conference schedule with.

Ohio State faced Youngstown State, Akron Kent and Washington. The only team with more than 3 wins is Youngstown state and they are AA. Wahsington is from a BCS conference but they haven't had a winning season since 02.
Old 11/06/2007, 11:22 AM
Here comes the Gators

Quote:
Originally posted by E-A-G-L-E-S
Grim....R-O-T-F-L-M-A-O

You are a HATER, lol.

To compare PSU and Wisc. and possibly Ill. and UM, to the nobody teams Kansas has whooped up on is downright blatant haterism.
Talk all the crap you want about the Big Ten as you are an obvious hater and haters get no love.
Grim is not a hater, he is just not a Big 10 fanboy living in a NCAA fairytale world. Being a SEC fanboy is no where as bad as being a Big 10 fanboy. I told you to call the Rug hotline for NCAA help..did you?

You said Grim was talking crap? Seems to me he was just listing facts and numbers even though it is not to your liking. EAGLEs, evade the truth all you want but remember it is still at your side. Big 10 fans evaded truth when they realized their representor OSU got whooped by a one loss SEC champ team last year.

And just for the record, what if Illinois or UM do beat OSU. How bad would that make OSU look?

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

Anyone that thinks the SEC isn't the best conference is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 11/06/2007, 11:28 AM
Here comes the Gators

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Sh0tgun
Yeah, our schedule this year is pretty weak.
No, your conference is rediculously weak.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Sh0tgun
But hey, at least we didn't lose to a power-house like Stanford.
How many times has USC lost to Standford in the past two decades? An occasional loss isn't something to get on a team for. It's bound to happen. The fact is, Big 10 only plays teams like Stanford and worse. Yes some are better but is 7-5 or 7-3 really that good of a record in the Big 10??? 7-3 is decent in the SEC. Heck, FLA is 6-3 but you put them in the Big 10 and they are undefeated almost without a doubt.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 11/06/2007, 11:33 AM
Registered Member

Let's see some other conferences teams scheduled patsies:

FLA
1.W. Kentucky (H)
2. Troy (H)
3. Fla. Atlantic (H)

LSU
1. Midd. Tenn. St. (H)
2. Tulane(A)
3. La. Tech (H)

Auburn
1. Ball st. (H)
2. W. Kentucky (H)

Georgia
1. W. Carolina (H)
2. Troy (H)

Arizona St.
1. San Jose St. (H)
2. San Diego St. (H)

UCLA
1. BYU (H)
2. Utah (A)
3. Notre Dame (H)

Tenn.
1. Southern Miss (H)
2. Ark. St. (H)
3. Lousianna - Laf. (H)

Texas
1. Ark. St. (H)
2. TCU (H)
3. UCF (A)
4. Rice (H) I know they are in conference but do they even have a football team, lol.

Missouri(props for playing Illinois)
1. W. Michigan (H)
2. Illinois St. (H)

Kansas(lol)
1. C. Michigan (H)
2. SE Louisiana (H)
3. Toledo (H)
4. Fla. International (H)

Oklahoma
1. N. Texas (H)
2. Utah St. (H)

......So you are so right, how could Big Ten schedule such patsies? ROFLMAO

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.
Old 11/06/2007, 11:37 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 55semireef
Grim is not a hater, he is just not a Big 10 fanboy living in a NCAA fairytale world. Being a SEC fanboy is no where as bad as being a Big 10 fanboy. I told you to call the Rug hotline for NCAA help..did you?

You said Grim was talking crap? Seems to me he was just listing facts and numbers even though it is not to your liking. EAGLEs, evade the truth all you want but remember it is still at your side. Big 10 fans evaded truth when they realized their representor OSU got whooped by a one loss SEC champ team last year.

And just for the record, what if Illinois or UM do beat OSU. How bad would that make OSU look?

I LOVE how one year an SEC team beat one Big Ten team and that means everything forever Not to mention OSU had two months off to get rusty before the game.

I do not show blind faith in the Big Ten. I hate OSU!! How many times do I have to say it before you READ it?
Just sick of the choir bashing

Ill and UM are decent football teams, period.

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.

Last edited by E-A-G-L-E-S; 11/06/2007 at 12:33 PM.
Old 11/06/2007, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

Semi- seriously, please don't associate me with a blind faith fan like your fellow sec boy Rug

I have said several times that Big 10 is rather weak this year. It is a cyclical thing. Can't count how many years the Big Ten was THE BEST And they will be back soon enough.
Plus your school should have been down to start that game or any versus teams like vandy and Big 10 schools.

SEC is very good....the Pac 10 is good this year too. Not just USC anymore. But the PAC 10 was laughable at best for YEARS.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Last edited by E-A-G-L-E-S; 11/06/2007 at 12:33 PM.
Old 11/06/2007, 11:54 AM
Registered Member

Grim...I'll give you one thing.....I wanted to include USC, but with only Idaho(lol) at home and Notre Dame(away) they have a tough schedule this year. Hats off to them. I wish EVERYONE had a tough 'extras' schedule but I fear it will only get worse across the board if a Playoff is never enacted. and who could blame them? If you lose more than once your season is for all intensive purposes done.

Old 11/06/2007, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Ahh, there we are....I never said Big 10 was much better. They are better but noy=t by much. Both conferences are way down this year.
Common opponents at different stadiums, under different circumstances and during different parts of eb and flow of season doesn't mean that much.

Missouri hasn't played PSU

So PSU beats Fla Int. by more than Kansas and you think PSU is horrible so by your math and thinking you just stated how bad Kansas is

Sorry grimmy.
No, Missouri beat Illinois who beat Penn State and Wisconsin. I just missed that when I typed it but you knew what I was talking about from the earlier post where I layed it all out

I think Penn State is poor because they have yet to beat a conference opponent that has a winning conference record. The Big ten is Michigan and OSU then a bunch of teams that are just so-so with the possible exception of illinois. I can't believe that PennState is ranked and Illinois isn't.

Then consider Michigan's performance this year. Oregon flat slapped them in a game for which they were highly motivated. 2 weeks later they stumbled past Penn State. They didn't exactly make a statement against Northwestern who has only beat 2 conference teams. They had a nice game against Purdue but purdue only has 3 conference wins and they were against three of the 4 worst teams in the conference. A solid win against Minnesota but that team hasn't won a conference game yet. I'll chalk the come from behind Michigan State game up to the rivalry but State is the second worst team in the conference.

So really even if OSU beats Michigan who in the hell have they really played?
Old 11/06/2007, 12:49 PM
Registered Member

You already said if Kansas runs the table they should play for NC. But if OSU does they don't deserve it? LOL

Like I said, down couple of years for the Big Ten.
And everything goes in a cycle so they'll be back.
And they were on top for soooo long that a down couple years, not bad years, is nothing.

Old 11/06/2007, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Let's see some other conferences teams scheduled patsies:

Auburn
1. Ball st. (H)
2. W. Kentucky (H)

Georgia
1. W. Carolina (H)
2. Troy (H)

Tenn.
1. Southern Miss (H)
2. Ark. St. (H)
3. Lousianna - Laf. (H)

Texas
1. Ark. St. (H)
2. TCU (H)
3. UCF (A)
4. Rice (H) I know they are in conference but do they even have a football team, lol.

H)

Oklahoma
1. N. Texas (H)
2. Utah St. (H)

......So you are so right, how could Big Ten schedule such patsies? ROFLMAO
But as Paul Harvey would say, now for the rest of the story

FLA
1.W. Kentucky (H)
2. Troy (H)
3. Fla. Atlantic (H)

Yep, Florida kinda sucks this year. Of course their conference record is the same 4-3 as Penn State's but 6 of Florida's 7 conference opponents are ranked in the top 25

LSU
1. Midd. Tenn. St. (H)
2. Tulane(A)
3. La. Tech (H)

5-1 conference record 4 teams ranked in the top 25. Also included Va Tech in OCC which is also in the top 25.

In Fact every SEC team you listed schedules at least one OOC game against a team that is a BCS conference team with a winning record.

Arizona St.
1. San Jose St. (H)
2. San Diego St. (H)
Hmmm.... You left out the 3rd OCC game. Colorado who is a 500 team but at least it is a BCS conference team and they have a win against a top ten team. Anyone in the Big ten that can make that claim?

UCLA
1. BYU (H)
2. Utah (A)
3. Notre Dame (H)
Yep, they suck this year. Way inconsistant but they have managed to beat as many conferece opponents as Penn State and beat a ranked team.

Missouri(props for playing Illinois)
1. W. Michigan (H)
2. Illinois St. (H)
They also played Ol Miss. They suck but at least it was a BCs conference. Missouri at least has a winning conference record.

Kansas(lol)
1. C. Michigan (H)
2. SE Louisiana (H)
3. Toledo (H)
4. Fla. International (
I wouldn't laugh too hard, 3 of those teams are ones the Big ten fattens up on too If Kansas wins out they will have beaten 2 top 10 teams with the same type of OCC opponents OSU had.

Texas sucks this year but I'll tell you what, I say if they meet any team from the Big Ten other than Ohio State or Michigan in a bowl game they will win.
Old 11/06/2007, 02:25 PM
Registered Member

Well looks like Ole'Croom is planning some trickery this week to try to beat BAMA for the second time. I think its gonna be an interesting game, Bama is let down and beat up after the LSU game and is stil missing 5 players from textbookgate. And its an away game to boot.

Hopefully we can pull out wins for the rest of the season and get a good bowl berth

“The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 11/06/2007, 02:31 PM

Quote:
You already said if Kansas runs the table they should play for NC. But if OSU does they don't deserve it? LOL

Like I said, down couple of years for the Big Ten.
And everything goes in a cycle so they'll be back.
And they were on top for soooo long that a down couple years, not bad years, is nothing.
I didn't say OSU didn't deserve to play in the game, I said they will be the underdog.
Old 11/06/2007, 02:54 PM
Registered Member

So you talk and talk about OSU scheduling patsies. I then show you it is not unique to them AT ALL. Then you talk about something else. Whatever, lol.
So you must have thought Wisconsin and PSU were going to lose to the SEC teams they played in bowl games last year....
Oh, and save any defense of UCLA, they are aweful.

And you compare Notre Dame to PSU?? Obvious you are reaching for anything now, lol.
PSU 31
Notre Dame 10

And most of the 4th quarter we had all subs in. So yeah their as good as us. lol.

Old 11/06/2007, 03:09 PM
Registered Member

I dont know anything about scheduling patsies, but the fact is that the competition that OSU has faced is not the same as the competition faced by many other teams that dont have perfect records. Does it matter? Well, if OSU goes undefeated and makes it to the NC game, we could be in for another blowout.
But maybe not. I remember when Nebraska just beat the snot out of UF and then UF turned it around and won the NC. You never know.
Unfortunately, without a playoff system we only get one postseason game determining who is number one.

That seams to be the cause of all of the discussion. A better system in place and the discussion is left out on the field.
Old 11/06/2007, 03:25 PM
Registered Member

We can only hope.

Old 11/06/2007, 03:46 PM

OSU Scheduled 4 patsies. Thats to go along with the 3 in conference patsies they play who have 3 conference wins among them

Well lets see, did saying UCLA sucked sound somehow sound like a defense? I could see where a Big Ten fan might consider a 4-2 conference record and 5-4 overall might be something to crow about but we Pac fans have a little higher standards

USC 38 Notre Dame 0 and it was the second career start for the backup SC quarterback. So what?

Arkansas Wisconsin. Wisconsin didn't win, Arkansas lost. Neither team played well enough to be declared a winner. Wisconsin -5 yards rushing for the game. Arkansas 123 yards in penalties.

As I remember the Tennessee Penn Game was well played and Penn Shut them down. So the 4th best team in the ten beat the fifth best team in the SEC. Do you want a cookie?
Old 11/06/2007, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cubman777
I dont know anything about scheduling patsies, but the fact is that the competition that OSU has faced is not the same as the competition faced by many other teams that dont have perfect records. Does it matter? Well, if OSU goes undefeated and makes it to the NC game, we could be in for another blowout.
But maybe not. I remember when Nebraska just beat the snot out of UF and then UF turned it around and won the NC. You never know.
Unfortunately, without a playoff system we only get one postseason game determining who is number one.

That seams to be the cause of all of the discussion. A better system in place and the discussion is left out on the field.
There either needs to be a playoff or a better standard for scheduling.
Old 11/06/2007, 03:58 PM
Registered Member

standardizing the scheduling would be very tough.
For one reason, you never really know how good a team is until after the season is over.
Another reason is that there are SOOOOO many teams. Considering the importance of rivalries and regional games (not just conference games, but games like FSU-UF), I think that it would be difficult.
Perhaps something could be done though.
Do you have any ideas?
(if you do I will pass them on to the NCAA gods and have them implemented post haste )
Old 11/06/2007, 06:15 PM

Wouldn't be that hard to fix the scheduling deal. Just require that teams schedule no more than two OOC games against non BCS teams and out of conference games connot be played consecutively. That would keep teams from lining up 3 or 4 gimmis to start the year to pad their stats.

I think they should look at standardizing the conference sizes too. I don't know why the Big Ten doesn't just pull Notre Dame into the conference so they have 12 and split the conference into divisions. The PAC could add Hawaii and Boise State, the problem is the Big East which only has 8 teams.
Old 11/06/2007, 07:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
OSU Scheduled 4 patsies. Thats to go along with the 3 in conference patsies they play who have 3 conference wins among them

Well lets see, did saying UCLA sucked sound somehow sound like a defense? I could see where a Big Ten fan might consider a 4-2 conference record and 5-4 overall might be something to crow about but we Pac fans have a little higher standards

USC 38 Notre Dame 0 and it was the second career start for the backup SC quarterback. So what?

Arkansas Wisconsin. Wisconsin didn't win, Arkansas lost. Neither team played well enough to be declared a winner. Wisconsin -5 yards rushing for the game. Arkansas 123 yards in penalties.

As I remember the Tennessee Penn Game was well played and Penn Shut them down. So the 4th best team in the ten beat the fifth best team in the SEC. Do you want a cookie?

LOL

Old 11/06/2007, 07:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
I don't know why the Big Ten doesn't just pull Notre Dame into the conference so they have 12 and split the conference into divisions.

Wow, you mean you don't know something.....ask Notre Dame why as the Big Ten has invited before. Probably because they don't want to give up the service games.

Old 11/06/2007, 08:48 PM
Here comes the Gators

For OSU's sake, if they do go to the big game make us viewers believe they are a decent team.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 11/06/2007, 09:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 55semireef
For OSU's sake, if they do go to the big game make us viewers believe they are a decent team.
All about the chip on the shoulder, Osu will likely make a Bcs game as long as we dont blow our last two badly...im confident we'll have much more success then last years game
Old 11/07/2007, 07:23 AM
Registered Member

I dont know, if OSU loses one game, they may be out.
Old 11/07/2007, 02:32 PM

Just win and you SHOULD be in the game.