Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/26/2007, 03:38 PM
Registered Member

Wow after several hours of reading.. and getting yelled at for being on the computer... Nice tank! I've been planning to upgrade for 8 months and just haven't had the time. I can't make up my mind for a 90 or 120g but I love your aquascaping in the 75g. Not too cluttered. I might have missed it but do you have a controller? And I hope the pod test goes well. Might have to do the same. I'm dissapointed that the RC world had to give you problems about your post. I for one wish more women were into Reef keeping. I go through all the effort to work on the tank and my girlfriend might look at it for 5 seconds once a month. If I'm lucky. RC doesn't need to bash you... they need to find a way to clone you. LOL keep up the good work.
Old 08/26/2007, 03:41 PM
TRC Leader

If more of you ladies would put your real first name in your signature line, we'd have a clue and treat you better.

And FYI, this thread will split in 23 more posts. Time to create a recap post again for the first page in the new split, NanoGurl.
Old 08/26/2007, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

melev, I'm glad you are tagging along. I've never talked to you much but always find your advise helpful. NanoGurl, you have a lot of good people on here willing to help, don't let the bad ones spoil the fun. One thing I've always wanted to do was put a nano tank somewhere else in the house, maybe upstairs, that is connected to the main tank. It would make the water quality and temp problems in a nano almost impossible. When they build your house you should have them run a seperate set of power lines and water lines ran to a room upstairs that could be connected to your main display. Hook it up to your sump and timers. Although I would be worried about a power outage draining all the water in the lines into the sump... then overflowing... well it might be a good idea.
Old 08/26/2007, 06:26 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by bower23
Wow after several hours of reading.. and getting yelled at for being on the computer... Nice tank! I've been planning to upgrade for 8 months and just haven't had the time. I can't make up my mind for a 90 or 120g but I love your aquascaping in the 75g. Not too cluttered. I might have missed it but do you have a controller? And I hope the pod test goes well. Might have to do the same. I'm dissapointed that the RC world had to give you problems about your post. I for one wish more women were into Reef keeping. I go through all the effort to work on the tank and my girlfriend might look at it for 5 seconds once a month. If I'm lucky. RC doesn't need to bash you... they need to find a way to clone you. LOL keep up the good work.
haha :P I don't think RC wants two of me... i think one is enough. It didn't really bug me, I just didn't want my post to be a joke... i think there is a "generation" gap that makes it more difficult sometimes... i don't think many people on RC "get me." I really wanted to make my thread a blog.. but I scaled that back quite a bit.

No, I don't have a controller on my 75. I would go with the 120 over a 90, but I need a six foot tank for my tang so the 120 is out for me.

Thanks for the complements =)
Old 08/26/2007, 06:28 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
If more of you ladies would put your real first name in your signature line, we'd have a clue and treat you better.

And FYI, this thread will split in 23 more posts. Time to create a recap post again for the first page in the new split, NanoGurl.
I don't want you to treat me better bc I'm a girl. I want to be treated like I kinda know what I'm doing and have a nice tank for what it is.

Yay! Not really much has happened lol. I will though, thanks for the heads up!
Old 08/26/2007, 06:29 PM
Registered Member

How long have you had that PBT?
Old 08/26/2007, 06:34 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by bower23
melev, I'm glad you are tagging along. I've never talked to you much but always find your advise helpful. NanoGurl, you have a lot of good people on here willing to help, don't let the bad ones spoil the fun. One thing I've always wanted to do was put a nano tank somewhere else in the house, maybe upstairs, that is connected to the main tank. It would make the water quality and temp problems in a nano almost impossible. When they build your house you should have them run a seperate set of power lines and water lines ran to a room upstairs that could be connected to your main display. Hook it up to your sump and timers. Although I would be worried about a power outage draining all the water in the lines into the sump... then overflowing... well it might be a good idea.
I am glad he is as well, Marc has helped me quite a bit. So have quite a few others who I really appreciate. It makes it more fun when friends tag along on the thread.

Yea, I'm not really interested in hooking up anything upstairs to my main display tank. Now that we finally have a nice house, I want to keep almost everything downstairs. We did buy a cute all-in-one nano for the upstairs so we'd have something to look at, but I just wanted something easy and clean. That is why I went that route instead of making a nano like I did before. That way if we ever move it or take it down it would be easy as well.

But, I do want to hook up a seperate frag tank and a seperate fuge on our 125 or bigger downstairs. We have a whole room we can dedicate... but I have no idea how to connect two or more tanks together. I'm clueless.
Old 08/26/2007, 06:37 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkstar04
How long have you had that PBT?
Hmmm.... good question. 3 months maybe.

Old 08/26/2007, 08:45 PM
TRC Leader

If you become a RC Premium member, you can create Blog here on RC.

http://www.reefcentral.com/wp/
Old 08/26/2007, 09:02 PM
Girls Rule!

Thanks! I meant more I don't think anyone would want to read it lol.
Old 08/26/2007, 09:33 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the link

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 08/26/2007, 09:45 PM
Registered Member

Your corals have some amazing color, and that PBT is great. I guess it pays to be picky about what you put in your tank.
Old 08/26/2007, 09:51 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by erics3000
Thanks for the link
You're welcome.
Old 08/26/2007, 09:52 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkstar04
Your corals have some amazing color, and that PBT is great. I guess it pays to be picky about what you put in your tank.
Thanks =) Ocean is a very cool fish. Lots of attitude, but that's okay!
Old 08/26/2007, 11:01 PM
Girls Rule!

Okay,

So I've been thinking since my last post. I want to figure out how to connect two or more tanks. Lets say I have a 125 and wanted to connect a 40g breeder for a coral prop tank.

How would you achieve this? Are there any articles on this that anyone knows of? What would I use as a search key word?

I guess what I don't understand is how you would get the water between two tanks without a pump... and if you used a pump.. how would you make sure to have the right gph to make it all work right?
Old 08/26/2007, 11:28 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NanoGurl
Okay,

So I've been thinking since my last post. I want to figure out how to connect two or more tanks. Lets say I have a 125 and wanted to connect a 40g breeder for a coral prop tank.

How would you achieve this? Are there any articles on this that anyone knows of? What would I use as a search key word?

I guess what I don't understand is how you would get the water between two tanks without a pump... and if you used a pump.. how would you make sure to have the right gph to make it all work right?
Whoa, I missed the fireworks, bummer. I like 'em.

Great looking (recent) pics, got a full tank shot you could share?

When connecting two or more tanks gravity flow is the best but you gotta make sure you don't overflow if the power is out but you knew that. Do you have an idea what elevation relative to the other tank(s) that you will be connecting? That outta help us help you. There is a pipe sizing formula somewhere here on RC I think. I used it and checked it against some other stuff that I pretend to know about and it's pretty right on.

And finally, now you tell us you are a girl? Where have I been? You go gurl!

Gotta run Big Love is on.

EDIT: The more I think about it, don't use a pump to transfer water from one tank to the other. You will never get it or them balanced with your primary circulator. One will pump more than the others and something is going to run dry and/or overflow. Personal guarantee that that will happen. .

If you use a horizontal pipe to transfer water between the tanks assuming they are at the same elevation, you will want to way oversize it. If the elevation is the same it's best to drain them both to a common sump and pump from there.

Last edited by Cuby2k; 08/26/2007 at 11:35 PM.
Old 08/27/2007, 12:12 AM
Registered Member

Nice tank, nice Shiba Inu!
Old 08/27/2007, 12:20 AM
TRC Leader

I have both of my tanks dumping into my sump. Each tank has its own return pump, sized accordingly. If you make sure the sump has enough empty volume, it'll be fine.
Old 08/27/2007, 01:39 AM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by Cuby2k
And finally, now you tell us you are a girl? Where have I been? You go gurl!
Well, I kinda thought the name nanogurl would tip people off LoL =)

Thanks for the info. I'm not really sure about the height and all, but I would think it would be okay to make it lower.. but I don't know if that would work if the tank was like 10 feet away or something?

No FTS right now, I haven't even tried to put my corals back. It looks like a big frag tank atm.
Old 08/27/2007, 01:40 AM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyuss
Nice tank, nice Shiba Inu!
Thank you =)
Old 08/27/2007, 01:42 AM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
I have both of my tanks dumping into my sump. Each tank has its own return pump, sized accordingly. If you make sure the sump has enough empty volume, it'll be fine.
Hmm... so do you have two return sections in your sump then?
Old 08/27/2007, 01:48 AM
grouchy hermit

You could put both pumps in the same return section. It'd be exactly the same as having a large return pump and T'ing it off so that one section goes to your main tank and another goes to your prop tank. As Marc said, as long as the sump is big enough to be able to take the return siphon from both tanks when the power goes out, you should be good. I hope that made sense - it's Sunday night and my mind gets confused when it's distracted about work tomorrow.

Spleen
Old 08/27/2007, 01:53 AM
Girls Rule!

lol... yea that does help thanks!

Okay, so let me ask you guys this....

A 125 (for now) draining into maybe a 100g rubber maid sump with chaeto and equipment or something... and then another 40g prop tank draining into that.

or

Would it be smarter to have the frag pop tank a seperate system? No fish and things to pollute the water?
Old 08/27/2007, 02:08 AM
TRC Leader

The water would be pumped up from a common return area.

Actually, the corals would benefit from the fish as their food and poop can be used by the corals for growth. As long as your reef stays within healthy parameters, the frag tank should do well.

Then again, if you put pests in your frag tank, they can migrate to the reef, so there is that risk. In that case, you'll want independent systems but keeping both stable can be challenging. Combining the water volume tends to be quite stabilizing. You just need to quarantine new arrivals including any corals or frags to avoid introducing pests into your reef.
Old 08/27/2007, 02:08 AM
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1193986