Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/18/2007, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

I had an opportunity to see the Penn State reef (was at a conference at Penn State) and it is absolutely incredible. Best captive reef I've ever seen. I'm sure Sanjay's new reef will match someday. The amazing thing about the Penn State reef is that it's smack in the middle of the student union! Any other school, someone would have ruined it somehow. But Penn State has real school pride and they take care of and treasure things like this. Kudos to all involved.
Old 01/18/2007, 11:05 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Thats what I was thinking too... I know if that tank was somewhere at UW-Milwaukee or Madison that some skateboarder would have already smacked into it or tagged it by now. It seems like all the idiots are applying to UW system universities these days... must be the party reputation. It kind of sucks, because there are a good number or serious students, but in the past 5 years the average has gone down 100%.

Penn State must be the place to be for 'no idiots'... wish I would have gone there.

Thanks for the pics Sanjay... I got my 'fix' now. But werent you talking about upgrading the skimmer at one point? I understand its enough, but I seem to remember you mentioning something about that. Perhaps a Bill Wann Super-King skimmer is in order?
Old 01/18/2007, 11:43 PM
Registered Member

"sniffle" they grow up so fast
Old 01/19/2007, 01:57 PM
RMRC President

Congratulations on getting your tank setup!

Wow, beautiful work. I am really looking forward to meeting you and hearing your wisdom when you come to Colorado in February
Old 01/20/2007, 08:44 AM
Registered Member

Very nice tank you have! Do you runt with deep sand bed? Or do you only have thin layer of Sand. /Marcus
Old 01/20/2007, 01:00 PM
Premium Member

The sand beds are about 1-2".. and in some places may even be slightly more due to shifting sand and creation of sand dunes.

sanjay.
Old 01/20/2007, 03:17 PM
Registered Member

Is it live sand or dead coral sand?
Old 01/20/2007, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hahnmeister
Thats what I was thinking too... I know if that tank was somewhere at UW-Milwaukee or Madison that some skateboarder would have already smacked into it or tagged it by now.
Why would it have to be a skateboarder??? C'mon dude don't be so ignorant!
Old 01/20/2007, 09:19 PM

hey, now everyone knows skateboarders are houlligans!
Old 01/20/2007, 11:56 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ms22ak2
Is it live sand or dead coral sand?
I used the Carribsea Aragalive sand. The ooloitc one, and some of the coarser crushed coral.

sanjay.
Old 01/21/2007, 12:24 AM
Premium Member

Got some new fish in this week. Added the following fish

4 - Dispar Anthias (1M 3F)
2 - Leopard Wrasses Female (M. Bipartus)
2 - Aurora Gobies
1 - Midas Blenny

This brings the fish total up to 20.

These are from Reef Edge located in Ft. lauderdale area. I have been visiting this store several times over the years. They always have great healty fish, and usually have fish from Africa and Red sea.

This time I visited in late Dec (with Tony and Julian) and was once again very impressed with the quality of fish there, and decieded to have them ship me fish this time - given that I did not want to deal with carrying them with me on the airlines, and coordinating the fish pickup with my flight time. Tony picked out the fish for me when he was at the store last week, and I got them on Thursday.

I have always liked the leopard wrasses, and usually not had good luck with them. These chase down mysis shrimp and grab them when I feed the tank, and hang out together !!!! The dispar are out swimming in the open all the time and also eating well. The aurora gobies have not shown themselves out in the open much to get any decent pictures.

sanjay.
Old 01/21/2007, 12:37 AM
Registered Member

very nice sanjay are those leopard wrasses aggressive at all?
Old 01/21/2007, 12:37 AM
Parrot head

I like your wrasse!

Nice fish Sanjay. The local club in Ft Laud is having a swap meet next month I was going to head down for. I guess I'll have to make a stop at Reef Edge now. Do you have an address and contact number for them handy?

Thanks,
Barry
Old 01/21/2007, 10:08 AM
Premium Member

Nice fish Sanjay! Those blue star leopard wrasse almost match the superman frag Hope the frags are doing well. If not, I'll get you replacements next time we see you.

I also just ordered some 14K 400w Ushio's so once you get the lighting test up and running again I'll bring one up for a day and we can test it. I'll be running them on Blueline [I have a spare 400 blueline I can also bring for the test if needed]. I borrowed the clubs par meter and will let you know what I get with apogee meter readings with the bulbs out of the box. Currently using 15K XM 400's. I have reading for the XM's when they were about 3 months old and will take one of the XM's before I replace them to see how the #'s compair to Ushio.

Take care my friend.

Allegheny College 1990 Div. III National Champs - Football (I was starting Left OT)
Old 01/21/2007, 01:00 PM

love those leopards Sanjay. Nice choice.
Old 01/21/2007, 01:04 PM
Registered Member

good looking tank
Old 01/21/2007, 04:51 PM
Registered Member

I want those Dispar’s back. They look great! People don’t realize how these fish do better when placed in a welcoming tank. They look better in your tank than they did in the store. Those Leopard wrasses got me in a lot of trouble. There was someone very interested in those wrasses, and called me to let me know how up-set they were with me.

Enjoy them buddy.
Old 01/21/2007, 05:01 PM

well did you tell that someone they went to Sanjay? I mean really, if my LFS told me that the tang I wanted was sold or even given to Sanjay, I would just say, "OK. Let me know when the next one comes in.
Old 01/21/2007, 06:16 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mrcrab
I like your wrasse!

Nice fish Sanjay. The local club in Ft Laud is having a swap meet next month I was going to head down for. I guess I'll have to make a stop at Reef Edge now. Do you have an address and contact number for them handy?

Thanks,
Barry
its definately worth stopping by there.

Reefs Edge
4707 Orange Drive
Davie, FL 33314

Ph:954-316-5153

You might want to call and find out when they are open. I think they are closed mon & tues.

sanjay.
Old 01/21/2007, 06:18 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tvarg
I want those Dispar’s back. They look great! People don’t realize how these fish do better when placed in a welcoming tank. They look better in your tank than they did in the store. Those Leopard wrasses got me in a lot of trouble. There was someone very interested in those wrasses, and called me to let me know how up-set they were with me.

Enjoy them buddy.
hey Tony,

Thanks for picking out the fish. You get into enough trouble so what's one more

sanjay.
Old 01/21/2007, 06:21 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ckuhndog77
Nice fish Sanjay! Those blue star leopard wrasse almost match the superman frag Hope the frags are doing well. If not, I'll get you replacements next time we see you.

I also just ordered some 14K 400w Ushio's so once you get the lighting test up and running again I'll bring one up for a day and we can test it. I'll be running them on Blueline [I have a spare 400 blueline I can also bring for the test if needed]. I borrowed the clubs par meter and will let you know what I get with apogee meter readings with the bulbs out of the box. Currently using 15K XM 400's. I have reading for the XM's when they were about 3 months old and will take one of the XM's before I replace them to see how the #'s compair to Ushio.

Take care my friend.
Craig:

The frags are doing great. All are alive so far. Don't need replacements, but you are welcome to come visit anytime.

I have a Blueline ballast, so all I would need is the lamp.

I might see you next month.

sanjay.
Old 01/21/2007, 07:28 PM
Registered Member

At the shop this individual was informed that the fish were picked out by me to be sent to Sanjay. Reefers in South Florida are Tuff. Sanjay’s right what’s a little more trouble.
Old 01/21/2007, 08:11 PM

Good attitude! Good quality fish too.
Old 01/21/2007, 09:45 PM
Parrot head

Quote:
Originally posted by Tvarg
At the shop this individual was informed that the fish were picked out by me to be sent to Sanjay. Reefers in South Florida are Tuff. Sanjay’s right what’s a little more trouble.
If he was really interested he would have paid for them!
Old 01/21/2007, 09:45 PM
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1025029