Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/18/2006, 09:11 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Here's a couple of pics I took this morning before the lights were on.

Old 09/19/2006, 06:55 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

... a couple more in the morning with lights out.

The prostrata is just starting to show its blue tips toward the end of a full photo period, its pink coloring is really close to the best I've seen it.

These poccilapora frags, are looking better than they ever did in the 75g ... they love the flow. This t max has been battling pinch, but FW dips always seenm to bring it around.

Old 09/20/2006, 08:40 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

I am officially into the hair algae phase. It's not real bad ... yet.

My cleanup crew numbers had dwindled in my 75 g my snails were plagued by pyramid snails (the pyrms left my clams alone but totally harassed my astreas). And, I have never seen it, but I am now convinced that there is a rouge crab in my display that is taking out my hermits & snails (and shrimp too).

I recently received an algae cleanup pack from an on line vendor. It was a very good deal, price wise, but, I just don't think that they ever include enough good algae grazing snails to really control the spread of algae in a new tank. So ... I just ordered (from the same vendor) a custom selection of algae grazing snails along with a few lettuce nudis to address the developing algae bloom in the system so I can focus on husbandry issues to control the algae long term. I soooo wished I had done this when starting my 75, that I think I'd really regret not pumping up the cleanup crew now, before I have a real algae problem.
Old 09/21/2006, 03:28 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Got my supplemental algae grazers today, mostly cerinths and nerites, and a few star astreas (only because they're really cool) for algae snails, as I received tons of astreas in the first order, and transferred a bunch from my old live rock holding system as well I did not get any more of those. I also got more nuassaris snails and a fighting conch to work the sand bed.

As an experiment, I got four lettuce nudibrachs (or sea slugs if you prefer). I placed one in my fuge and three in the display. One dove under a rock, one got sucked into a current and pulled straight into the VorTech before I could grab it, shot striaght across the tank! (it seems to be no worse for the wear) and the other tried to dive right into my RBTA, three separate times! I convinced it not to do this.

So, we'll see if this controls the onset of algae in a young tank ... wish me luck!
Old 09/21/2006, 03:48 PM
Team RC Member

Bax, I can't believe you've been following my thread for so long and this is the first time I've come across one of yours. At any rate, I love what you've done with your upgrade and I'm looking forward to watching it grow with you.

Regarding your hair algae, what about some blue-legged hermit crabs? They did an amazing job on the hair algae that was in my tank at start-up time. If you're like many who dislike hermits, you could also consider some of the large Mexican turbo snails. They have a voracious appetite!

I've had lettuce nudibranchs for some time now, and I know they do a great job against bryopsis, but I can't confirm that they eat the more common hair algae. I'll tell you this, though ... you're going to be busy with them. Be prepared to rescue them often, as they don't seem to learn their lesson when they get sucked onto pump intakes, overflows, and other potentially lethal obstacles.

Cheers.
Old 09/21/2006, 06:43 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Dude!

Thanks! Nice to see ya drop by.

I do have about 30-35 hermits. I didn't want to add any more.

I have one large turbo and may get a couple more. Trouble is both hermits & turbos are coral bulldozers.

I now have well over 100, maybe 150 astreas, nerites, cerinths and nassarius snails.

Here's a pic of the one the allmost became dinner for the RBTA.

Old 09/22/2006, 02:18 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Nudibranch Report:

They all survived the night and appear to be feeding, I am not sure how to tell just what these odd little creatures are doing.

I did have to chase that one nudi away from the RBTA again today ... persistent little fellas, I'll say that for these critters.
Old 09/22/2006, 06:43 PM
Team RC Member

Glad to hear they're still around. You'll eventually find them climbing on the glass, on the clams, pretty much anywhere and everywhere in your tank. It becomes an obsession staring into your tank just to account for their presence - pretty much what we do anyway.
Old 09/22/2006, 09:18 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Dude

Yes, they are very interesting and unusual reef critters. I have been surprised just how much ground they covered today, apparently searching for their favorite algae. Hair algae, does not appear to be one of those favorite foods. I am sure that they will find algae that they will like. I've got some more nudi pics (just had to say that) to upload and post as soon as I can.

I've been resisting considering a tang for this tank, but have been doing some research on the ebeli tang as it is not a huge tang, is a more mellow & peaceful tang and reported to be good algae eater. Does anyone have any with this tang?

This would change my fish to be added list to:

2 H. diphruetes - schooling banner fish
1 tang - ebeli? (or something not too crazy or huge)
3-5 anthias of the same sp. (bartels, randalli, resplended, and lyertail are under consideration)
Old 09/23/2006, 06:56 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Here's the algae stage I am currently up against

There are patches starting even high on the rock in strong flow areas.

Thick patches low on the rock in lower flow areas. Keep in mind with two Tunzes and a VorTech, low flow in this tank is a relative term.

The back wall and overflows were covered. The cleanup crew is working hard at it, the back is 50% clean by the critters efforts, but it still progresses slowly at this time in patches.

I know ... nutrients ... I test no nitrates etc. , I am skimming like crazy .... I think it's just a new tank thing.

So ... what about the ebeli tang any experience ... anyone?
Old 09/23/2006, 09:09 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

So ... eibli tang .... anyone have any experience???
Old 09/23/2006, 09:58 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

As promissed, more nudi pics ...

This guy just can't resist the RBTA! I litterally pulled it out of the tenticles one time! Didn't seem to harm it?

They are physically built like a feather, so life in a high flow environment is tough! This one worked this rock right in front of the Tunze for some time, it eventually ended up on the sand bed, I assumed it was blown off.

This is the one that got sucked through the VorTech. It seems OK?

Old 09/24/2006, 06:41 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

I picked up one heniochus butterfly (schooling banner) and an Eibli Mimic Tang. Both are right about 2 1/2" and are in my QT now.

Old 09/24/2006, 04:03 PM
Team RC Member

Nice pics, Bax. Those fish will look great in your reef. I also like that crocea clam - very similar to mine. The nudubranchs are extremely rugged. I've pulled mine off of high flow suction that shredded 20% of the body, and they survived. Despite their toughness, unfortunately it's only short-term, and they have a very limited life span. Interestingly, mine bred and there's a little baby nudi that has grown to adult size in about 4 weeks. The fascinating thing is that I've never had to rescue this one - perhaps it learned from its parents that wandering into the overflow box is unwise.
Old 09/24/2006, 06:58 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Dudester

Wow! That's great that you actually have a surviving young nudi!

I love my clams. They are very important to me in this reef tank. Did you scroll back a page or so and see my squammy?

I am real excited about getting a second schooling banner, I really like the first one I have and have been looking forward to adding more.

I was going to get two but decided that might be too much of a good thing too soon.

The Eibli Tang, has been on my mind as a possibility for some time as well. They do not grow to a huge size, and are good algae grazers, like my fox face, but neither will mow down longer hair algae. They will pick at it but generally, they prefer the shorter growth.

What they will do , hopefully, is compete with the snails, so the snails will eat the hair algae. I have seen a small number of hungry astreas clean up a huge hair algae problem in my previous QT at my old office location. If it is all they have to eat, it is amazing what they can accomplish.

The nudis are fun, but I don't see them as a long term answer.

Good skimming, diligent water changes, good water chemistry, and appropriate feeding are what will limit long term algae issues.
Old 09/26/2006, 06:42 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

AS of yesterday, I still had all four nudibrachs. Although, one in the display is a bit pale the other two are thriving. The one in the fuge is in the overflow. I may not have time to try to fish it out until later in the week, I suppose it's OK in there?

The heniochus is doing great in QT, what a pig!

The Eibli Tang is suprizingly finiky. It has just started to accept frozen mysids and frozen prime reef. It won't touch ON prime reef flakes or formula I & II pellets. I offered it a small ball of chateo, somthing my foxface gouged itself on during QT, but it won't touch it. I also placed a small algae covered piece of LR in the QT ... not interested?
Old 09/26/2006, 06:31 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

The clowns began spawning again today!

That's the third time in as many months! If these two keep this up, when I set up my tank room at home, I'am going to have to accomidate a larval propogation & rearing system

Here they are cleaning thier spawn site

And here, if you look very close, you can see the extended ovipositor on the females underside

Old 09/26/2006, 06:59 PM
Premium Member

Thats awesome, Good Luck!
Old 09/26/2006, 07:19 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Thanks UE!
Old 09/26/2006, 08:08 PM
Registered Member

Very nice upgrade, I'm currently doing a 75 SPS tank to get good at SPS so I can upgrade to a 120 next Sept or sooner if my corals growth takes off like yours.
Old 09/26/2006, 09:16 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

jzdad

Thanks!

That's great that you are doing a 75 first. Baby steps, I think I learned a lot by progressing through three sized tanks. The first page has a link to my 75 g build log. I loved that tank!
Old 09/26/2006, 09:24 PM
Team RC Member

Bax,
Yes, I saw the photo of your squammy. Beautiful, indeed. I also have a blue-spot squamosa, but it's only about 3" in length and doesn't yet have the coloration of yours. I'm looking forward to its growth, that's for sure.

The nudi in your overflow will be fine for quite some time, but your reef won't benefit with it in there. You're better off just scooping it out and replacing it so it can eat some algae like it was hired to do.

Great clown pics. I can't wait 'til mine start to spawn. They've been a "couple" for only about 10 weeks, and I heard they have to be paired for close to a year before they begin doing the nasty. How long were yours together prior to spawning?
Old 09/26/2006, 10:13 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Dudester

My clowns are paired just about a year now ... so that's about right.

Like I said, love my squammy! ...

... and I'll get that nudi back on the job ASAP!
Old 09/27/2006, 03:37 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

This is my QT set up. It's my 26 bow front, BB as you can see. I have a CPR BakPak II skimmer being pushed by a MJ 900 PH with a 7 psi Luft air pump running a Limewood air stone. It reallly skims pretty hard for a little skimmer! I have another MJ 600 PH in there for flow. I also have a Ehiem canister standing by if I need it, but I am thinking that water changes and skimming may do just fine.

Here's the heniochus and tang again, I have blood/fire shrimp I am acclimating to add to the QT as my old one tanked (old age I think?)

Old 09/28/2006, 06:58 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

I released the blood shrimp to the QT and it was cleaning the tang within minutes!

Here's an end of the month tank shot.

I have areal busy couple of weeks coming up so I don't expect to get much more done until later in the October. I still have to set up an automated RODI system and rework my salt mix bin arrangement to make room for a calcium reactor I have. I have to connect that Ca reactor and a phosban reactor and UV sterilizer as well. ... Then I have to skin the stand and canopy ... wasn't that a priority at the start of this thread???