Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/29/2007, 05:35 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

I don't know of a ballast other than an Ice Cap that will drive 4 39 watt lamps. Use Ice Cap reflectors for sure. You could use the 60" 80 watt lamps instead. 6 of those with 2 Ice Cap ballasts and you would be set.
Old 09/29/2007, 05:54 PM
Registered Member

Grim, I hope this is the last time i have to bother you for atleast a year.

I know i've been all over the board with questions so i'll try to keep this short.

Surprisingly, Reefgeek called today cause I was on the waiting list for an ati powermodule and said they came in. I asked them to hold one for me and i would get back to them cause i wanted to ask you for a bulb recommendation.

I am getting a 4x39w power module for my 40g breeder(finally).
This will be my first reef/salt and i am not sure what i'll be keeping initially, probably mixed at this point.

I don't want a blue tank, but i don't want a yellowish one either. I'd like to mimic a shallow topical lagoon at midday, crisp, white, but i'd like to have some color pop as well.

I was thinking..

ati aquablue
ge 6500k
UV 10k aqua sun
ati aquablue

Your thoughts?
Old 09/29/2007, 05:58 PM

Do a blue plus in place of one of the aquablues and you should be there. The Aquablues are nearly white.
Old 09/29/2007, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

thank you very much. I suppose run the blueplus in front or in the very back, right?

Also, could i swap a 3k for the 6500k if i went

aquablue
aquablue
blueplus

Last edited by sayn3ver; 09/29/2007 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09/29/2007, 06:42 PM

Id do the blue plus up front. I am not a big fan of the Aquablue. I'd stick with the UVL and GE with the blue plus and Aquablue.
Old 09/29/2007, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

someone told me I could find a 48" GE 6500k T5 at HomeDepot to use with my icecap retro.. anyone know if this is true?

Last edited by mario8402; 09/29/2007 at 06:59 PM.
Old 09/29/2007, 06:57 PM
Registered Member

thanks grim. I did some reading and will stick with the original plan. Thats the last word from me for awhile.

mario, reefgeek.com has the 6500k Ge. I am sure others carry it as well.
Old 09/29/2007, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

^thx.
I edited my post.. left out the home depot part lol
Old 09/30/2007, 08:55 AM
Registered Member

Ok, thanks! I think I'll go with the 6 Bulb configuration. I'm planning on ordering this week from ReefGeek and will get the T5 retros with ice cap reflectors but not ice cap ballasts since there doesn't seem to be any reason to overdrive them. What stock ballasts come with his kits and is there anything else I'm missing or need before I order?

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer

4 will probably do it but 6 would allow you to load up on actinics which is cool too.

for 4 I would try

Front
Blue Plus
Super Actinic
UVL Aquasun
Aquablue

for 6

Front
Blue Plus
Super Actinic
Aquasun
Super Actinic
UVL 75/25 "Aquablue" Actually a pinkish lamp
Blue Plus

Quote:
Originally posted by Bud's Reef
I have an Oceanic Tech 120G, 4'x2'x2' on order and am planning on T5s kits for lighting and I am trying to decide whether to go with 4 or 6 bulbs. This will be a primarily softie and moderate light LPSs tank with an emphasis on mushrooms, zoas, Xenias, leathers, and then some LPS like frogspawn and candy cane. Will 4 48" T5s be enough and/or will 6 be too much? What mix of bulbs?

From reading through a lot of the thread if I get a 6 bulb it seems like B+, AB, GE Daylight, B+, AB, B+ is the common rcommendation. Would this be good for my specific application? I'm not sure what combo for 4 bulb configuration.

I know this has probably been asked and answered several times and I really did try to read through the thread from the beginning but I've only made it through the first 40 pages. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09/30/2007, 09:18 AM
Registered Member

I have a question. I have one of those older fashioned MH canopies with a excellent reflector. I was wondering if I could do without the ind reflectors for the T5 and use the MH reflector instead? Because the intensity of the two T5 actinic lamps makes the MH look almost invisible except for the shimmer effect on the rocks.
Old 09/30/2007, 10:06 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer

Fixtures ATI Powermodule, ATI Sun Power, Fauna Marin Ultra Solaris, Aquactinics TX5, Aquactinics Solar Flare, Helios T5 III.
Grimm,

Have you had any experience with any of the Sfiligoi fixture?
Old 09/30/2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bud's Reef
Ok, thanks! I think I'll go with the 6 Bulb configuration. I'm planning on ordering this week from ReefGeek and will get the T5 retros with ice cap reflectors but not ice cap ballasts since there doesn't seem to be any reason to overdrive them. What stock ballasts come with his kits and is there anything else I'm missing or need before I order?
I am not sure if they are using triads or sylvania ballasts now. Either are fine. I would get a couple fans and have one blowing in from the back down the rows of endcaps from the rear
Old 09/30/2007, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ROB2005
I have a question. I have one of those older fashioned MH canopies with a excellent reflector. I was wondering if I could do without the ind reflectors for the T5 and use the MH reflector instead? Because the intensity of the two T5 actinic lamps makes the MH look almost invisible except for the shimmer effect on the rocks.
The parabolic reflectors really make a big difference. It is a real waste to run T5's without them
Old 09/30/2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RoBolton
Grimm,

Have you had any experience with any of the Sfiligoi fixture?
No. Way too expensive to buy just to test. Already took a big hit on a couple fixtures. If I want to continue to be married someone else will have to test the Sfigoli
Old 09/30/2007, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

I bought these from reefgeek ATI ProColor. Do you think these are the same bulb as the KZ Fuji Purple.

Old 09/30/2007, 10:59 AM

Yes,
Old 09/30/2007, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

Grim, you are on the ball today. I’m still thinking about buying the Sfiligoi Infinity XR6- 2 x 250w MH HQI with 4 x 54w T5’s or the Sfiligoi Stealth T5 - 2 x 250w MH HQI with 8 x54w T5’s. I just can not get any good information as of yet on the reflectors or dimmable T5 ballast or if you will be able to use the Sfiligoi ACLS on the T5’s. I know that they are using IceCap 250w MH ballast but can use dimm these.

Do you have an opinion on these Sfiligoi fixtures?
Old 09/30/2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RoBolton
Grim, you are on the ball today. I’m still thinking about buying the Sfiligoi Infinity XR6- 2 x 250w MH HQI with 4 x 54w T5’s or the Sfiligoi Stealth T5 - 2 x 250w MH HQI with 8 x54w T5’s. I just can not get any good information as of yet on the reflectors or dimmable T5 ballast or if you will be able to use the Sfiligoi ACLS on the T5’s. I know that they are using IceCap 250w MH ballast but can use dimm these.

Do you have an opinion on these Sfiligoi fixtures?
They LOOK nice but then again looks only count for cheerleaders and underware models.

For the price you could get one of the Giesemann computerized T5/Halide/Moonlight fixtures. Tough call. I don't like the fact the Sfigoli doesn't use fans, that hurts the T5 output.
Old 09/30/2007, 12:31 PM
Registered Member

I looked up the bulbs to place the order and if I'm looking at the correct ones this configuration gives me 4.75 actinic type bulbs and 1.25 full spectrum daylight bulbs. Is that correct or am I looking at the wrong ones? With 3 ballasts and switches, I assume I would put the 2 Blue Plus on a ballast; the 2 Super Actinics on a balast; and the Aquasun and 75/25 Aquablue on a ballast. For dawn/dusk switching would I first turn on the Blue Plus and the Super Actinics and then the Aquasun and 75/25?

Front
Blue Plus
Super Actinic
Aquasun
Super Actinic
UVL 75/25 "Aquablue" Actually a pinkish lamp
Blue Plus
Old 09/30/2007, 12:35 PM

On lamp configurations you have it right. The Blue Plus is not an actinic lamp and they have a lot of PAR.
Old 09/30/2007, 12:40 PM
Registered Member

I found this on the Sfiligoi Stealth T5 which seems to have some kind of active cooling but the Sfiligoi Infinity XR6 does not have any cooling that I can find on the web. The main reason I like the Sfiligoi Stealth T5 with MH is because it comes with 8 x 54w T5's

Old 09/30/2007, 01:20 PM

The halide/T5 fixture advertises the fact it doesn't use fans. The pure T5 unit had the fans added as an after thought. It isn't very hard to overcool the lamps which also hurts the output. Not sure if having those fans blowing right on the lamps like that is a good idea or not.
Old 09/30/2007, 02:18 PM
Registered Member

Greetings all,

Does anyone know if a 660 can drive two T5's (39w) and two VHO's (95w) at the same time?

In case you're wondering, it’s because of two reasons. First, the "pop" that VHO actinics have compared to T5's (or so I've read here). Second, the width of my tank limits the hood to 36" bulbs and either 3 T5's, 4 VHO's or 2 of each.

Thanks. Tim
Old 09/30/2007, 02:54 PM

As far as I know that would be fine.
Old 09/30/2007, 04:40 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Grim! With your help, I've now been able to narrow it down to the Icecap retro kit. Would you recommend I get the standard IC 430 ballast or upgrade to the 660? Considering I'll eventually have 12 36" lights covering every area, (afraid the 60" will give me too many unlit areas) would you get the 660 or stay with the 430's? I have 4 fans blowing from the back of the canopy (2 blowing in, 2 out)with plans to add 3-4 more fans. Is that enough to cool the bulbs on a 660? Finally...sorry so many q's...If I started with 6x39W T5's, would it be enough light on a 6 ft tank (replacing 6x96W PC's) until I can afford the other 6 T5's? PC's are on a custom built rack and T5's are going into the top of the canopy so I can't keep both unless the T5's go into the rack temporarily. BTW, I have a lot of LPS, but no SPS. Thanks again!