Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/08/2007, 10:17 AM
Registered Member

anyone heard from the builder yet?
Old 11/08/2007, 07:05 PM
Registered Member

Does he make HOB skimmers?
Old 11/09/2007, 06:51 AM
Registered Member

I do not think so....go to his website and ask. He might be able to customize something for you.
Old 11/09/2007, 07:01 AM
Registered Member

I haven't heard anything back from Chris yet. Just sent him an email this morning as I had gotten a PayPal shipping notification for the skimmer!!! Hopefully I hear back from him before that thing ships; not sure what I'm going to do with a 100G-rated skimmer on my 220....I'll keep you guys posted
Old 11/09/2007, 07:27 AM
Registered Member

I have recieved a paypal receipt of payment but not a shipping notification. I also have e-mailed Chris a few times...waiting on a response.
Old 11/09/2007, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

everyone skimmer has shipped that has ordered last week. You should get them in 2-3 days max

thanks for patience.. got slammed with orders...

more later off to post office to drop off a few more!
Old 11/09/2007, 06:15 PM
Registered Member

well, this is not "cheap". $185 + shipping
Old 11/09/2007, 08:04 PM
Registered Member

Well, I just heard back from Chris and I can say for sure that, if this skimmer is even half as good as his customer service, it'll skim like a monster!!! GREAT guy to work with!!!
Old 11/09/2007, 10:39 PM
Registered Member

I have also heard back from Chris, I'm looking forward to putting the skimmer to good use. He increased the chamber height on mine to accomodate my tank size. His customer support is excellent so far....will definately post after the install with results. I have already pulled a 48 hour test on my old skimmer....1 cup in 48 hours...I'm sure the posiden will out do my old skimmer!!!!!
Old 11/12/2007, 09:33 PM
Registered Member

How was everyone's breakin time? I got one, and have tons of microbubbles coming from the bottom of the T-fitting of the telescope, and the gasket at the top of the chamber leaks air.....
Old 11/12/2007, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

Haven't recieved mine yet....should be this week I guess
Old 11/16/2007, 02:11 PM
Registered Member

Mine has broken in and producing some good skimmate. Still dealing with some microbubbles, but it has calmed down considerably.......feeling much better about my purchase now!
Old 11/16/2007, 03:31 PM
Registered Member

Good to hear...Still waiting on mine, too. I'm hoping it will greet me at my front door when I get home in a few hours!
Old 11/16/2007, 04:26 PM
Registered Member

I just recieved my shipping notice...should be here by next weds....great news about the breakin and good skimmate production. What size tank do you have your on...mine has a 16" high reaction chamber...so all in all overall height of 26-28 inches.
Old 11/17/2007, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

OK, turned off skimmer to replace a filter sock in sump, and when I turned it back on, it is releasing TONS of microbubbles into my tank! I tried repeatedly turning the pump on and off, and even took it out to inspect it, but nothing is working. I am simply letting it run right now hoping the microbubble situation will calm down. What do you think is going on?
Old 11/17/2007, 10:46 PM
Registered Member

decided letting it run was not a good idea, as my tank was absolutely filled with microbubbles.....until I receive some advice, I am leaving it off.
Old 11/17/2007, 11:58 PM
One Good Friend

Where are the micro's coming from? If they are coming out the output then there is just to much flow for that skimmer. You have a couple options if thats the case.
Old 11/18/2007, 12:02 AM
Registered Member

They are coming from underneath the outlet. They were coming from there prior, just not as massive as they are now. I think something may have been on the new filter sock to cause the skimmer to freak out...........I hope
Old 11/18/2007, 04:44 PM
Registered Member

had to have been something either on the filter sock or my hands, cuz all is fine today.........weird!
Old 11/20/2007, 07:59 PM
Registered Member

Just recieved my pump today...hopefully the skimmer will arrive tommorow!
Old 11/20/2007, 08:00 PM
Registered Member

Just recieved my pump today...hopefully the skimmer will arrive tommorow!
Old 11/21/2007, 09:40 AM
Registered Member

It's HERE!!!!

Got my GenX-4100 pump on Monday and received the skimmer yesterday. Now, granted, I'm upgrading from a SeaClone 150 on my old tank so just about anything would impress me, but this thing looks like a beast!!! Built very solid, the chamber stands 16" tall and 6" wide and the collection cup is monstrous. I do agree with Chad's post about the collection cup being a little more difficult to remove due to the Uniseal, but I actually prefer it be a little snug so it stays water-tight. You just have to wiggle it back and forth a bit.

Also, it appears the right people have been reading some of Luke's suggestions on RC, as the GenX-4100 pump I received had the metal components in the back almost completely covered with a black sealant!!! I've gone ahead and coated it with extra Krylon just to be safe, but let this be proof that someone is always listening

As far as mods go, I have also purchased the parts needed to upgrade the venturi intake to a 5/8" barb fitting for pulling more air, so I'll be doing that mod when I get home tonight. I'll also probably do a mesh mod to the NW impeller and am open to pretty much any other mod ideas that will improve performance, so Luke, if you feel like making a trip down to the southside anytime soon, I'll buy you a beer and we can mod the crap outta this thing!!!

I've got one small bit of plumbing to finish and then I'll begin filling the tank and sump and starting to cure my LR and LS. Can't wait to see what this guy can do!!!

I'll try to post some pics of the skimmer later today.

Gary
Old 11/21/2007, 10:25 AM
One Good Friend

Gary, after you get it up and running i'll be happy to show you how to pull 30-45scfh with that pump. I'm pry 45-an hour away since i'm up in noblesville, you could stop by sometime if you would like. Just shoot me a pm if you want. Its an easy mod so you will pry be able to do it yourself but i'd be happy to show you.

Luke
Old 11/21/2007, 10:31 AM
Registered Member

Sure thing, Luke. Thanks for the help!!! Is the mod you're talking about for getting 30-45scfh the same mod that you had discussed on the Woot thread (using the larger barb fitting inserted into a drilled hole in the top of a male threaded fitting going into the pump)?

Gary
Old 11/21/2007, 11:02 AM
One Good Friend

Its similar. You are going to use a 1" male fitting pvc adapter and you need to take a 1" small piece of pvc and drill out the inside of it a bit and take a 3/4" piece of pvc and do the same then fit a 1/2" pvc piece in that. It should be half an inch long all together. You then take that piece and slide it into the 1" pvc fitting almost touching the hose adapter on the inside. So it goes outside of the fitting to 1" to 3/4" to 1/2" to the 1" pvc adapter and hose adapter. Its simple but will basically cause the water to become very pressurized at the 1/2" mark and explode when it opens up causing the air to rush in at that point. HTH

Luke