Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Oklahoma Marine Aquarium Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/05/2006, 11:18 AM
My Life for Aiur!

I've seen those before, but I've never tried them. Tell us how they work. I'll probably be ordering a set then. I'm rather excited about it.
Old 10/05/2006, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

Hey Paul....what type of camera are you using? Just curious about the adapters that you bought as well.
Old 10/05/2006, 12:36 PM
Reef Fanatic

Nikon D50 with the kit lens (18-55mm)

RK: Where only bad things happen fast...

CRAZY 4 the CRASE - Oct 13, 2007
Conf for Reef Aquarists and SW Enthusiasts
Google it - Search for: craseokc
Old 10/05/2006, 12:38 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Do they fit all standard adapters? I'm wondering if they will fit on my FinePix S5100
Old 10/05/2006, 12:47 PM
Registered Member

Nice DSLR you have there. I have the Canon 300D with a couple nice lens for the photography side jobs I have here and there. I've heard some good things about the adaptors so you'll have to let us know how they work out for you.

Adam
Old 10/05/2006, 01:01 PM
Reef Fanatic

Well, what I ordered was a standard lens adapter that screws into the standard threads on the front of my lens, which happens to be a 52mm (diameter) lens. There are versions available of these for many different types of SLR camera lenses.

I did a lookup on your camera and found the manual here. It looks like that adapter ring screws into the front and then has threads on the end of it. So my questions are:

1. What is the diameter of the builtin lens threads?
2. What is the diameter of the threads at the end of the adapter ring?

Hopefully these are both the same --- then you could try the conversion set at both spots, to see where it works better. Anyhow, check the camera and adapter out - look for marking on the lens that say something like "52mm". If you can find that, I suspect one of the kits will work for you.

Old 10/05/2006, 01:13 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Quote:
Originally posted by captbunzo
Well, what I ordered was a standard lens adapter that screws into the standard threads on the front of my lens, which happens to be a 52mm (diameter) lens. There are versions available of these for many different types of SLR camera lenses.

I did a lookup on your camera and found the manual here. It looks like that adapter ring screws into the front and then has threads on the end of it. So my questions are:

1. What is the diameter of the builtin lens threads?
2. What is the diameter of the threads at the end of the adapter ring?

Hopefully these are both the same --- then you could try the conversion set at both spots, to see where it works better. Anyhow, check the camera and adapter out - look for marking on the lens that say something like "52mm". If you can find that, I suspect one of the kits will work for you.
Why do you have to ask me questions that I have no idea what the answer is? I'll take a peak later. I believe it's a 52mm lens adapter.
Old 10/05/2006, 01:26 PM
Reef Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by divecj5
Nice DSLR you have there.
Why thank you. It feeds my photography obsession quite well.... I actually have a friend that ordered TODAY the brand new Nikon D80. I am very excited to see the differences between my camera (which is Nikon's entry level consumer DSLR) and the D80 (which is one of their higher end consumer DSLR).

Quote:
I have the Canon 300D with a couple nice lens for the photography side jobs I have here and there. I've heard some good things about the adaptors so you'll have to let us know how they work out for you.
Neato - I didn't realize you were into photography. So far I only have the kit lens (18-55mm) and a telephoto zoom lens (70-300) that I picked up used on Amazon a while back. I REALLY would love to buy a nice macro lens but can't really afford that until sometime next year, at the earliest. As I have heard great things about this conversion set from another Nikon DSLR owner in our LFC, I think it will make a great holdover until I can afford better. Who knows, I may even decide I don't really NEED better.

I really have my eyes on this fancy 18-200 Nikon lens. I'd love it to replace my current kit 18-55mm lens as my standard walking around lens. I get so tired of switching my wide and telephoto zoom lenses for miscellaneous photography shots. I am sure the 200-300 range of the telephoto zoom lens will still come in handy later. But the 18-55 will be obsolete someday when I get the 18-200.

SOMEDAY.

Old 10/05/2006, 01:26 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Here's what I've found so far about that adapter ring

Adapter Ring - Adapter ring AR-FX5A
Fujifilm includes an adapter ring (AR-FX5A) with the FinePix S5100. The adapter can be screwed onto the threaded front of the lens barrel and serves to mount either the wide angle converter (WL-FX9) which offers a field of view comparable to a 29 mm lens or a telephoto converter (TL-FX9) which increases the maximum focal length of the S5100 to 555 mm.
Old 10/05/2006, 01:28 PM
Reef Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Travis L. Stevens
Here's what I've found so far.....
Now now Travis, I TOO can read the manual.

I take it the camera is at the house? Or does it not actually have the required details on it? Whatever the case, if you can't figure it out, we can always see if my set fits your camera someday at a meeting... Might at least give you a point of reference....

Old 10/05/2006, 01:37 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Quote:
Originally posted by captbunzo
Now now Travis, I TOO can read the manual.

I take it the camera is at the house? Or does it not actually have the required details on it? Whatever the case, if you can't figure it out, we can always see if my set fits your camera someday at a meeting... Might at least give you a point of reference....
Actually, the manual is in a box somewhere. I got that information off of the megapixel.net site. I did some more searching on the different lenses that the adapter ring works for, but there were still no sizes on it. I think I'll just have to catch up with you some time and just see if they fit.
Old 10/06/2006, 02:56 AM
Reef Fanatic

Ok, now to take my own thread totally off topic, here's a detour of sorts. I guess it's includable in this thread as it temporarily pulled me away (ok, just for an evening) from working on my tank project.

I got this done Wednesday evening. I have been planning this out for a long time. My faith is a very important part of my life and I wanted to make a statement about that.

Anyhow, I did some research and found what I thought looked like a quality tattoo artist in the area, a guy named Jeff Ensminger. I took the basic design in to him a couple of weeks ago which consisted of the cross and fish. He worked it up, added the jaggedness to the edge of the cross-beams and the shroud on the cross.

Anyhow, it was an awesome experience. I am VERY happy with the result. Oh yeah, btw, this was my first tattoo.

Old 10/06/2006, 08:21 AM
Registered Member

Wow Paul. What an awesome design and a beautiful tattoo. I love the idea and design and the colors turned out so vivid and nice.

I actually have a tattoo myself that I got when I was a freshman in college on the Right arm as well. It is off of a SCUBA diving shirt and is a green frog that has all the SCUBA equipment on. I'll have to see if my girlfriend can get a picture of it for me and I'll post it on here for you to see.

So how long did it take them to complete the tattoo? Mine is about 4" tall and 2" wide and it took them about 2 1/2 hours to do. The detail is amazing and the colors are still amazing on mine and I'm sure if you take care of yours, it will be the same. That is an awesome tattoo for your first one.

Just some suggestions on caring for it (although I'm sure you've heard them already):

-Try and keep it as dry as possible in the shower til it scabs up and heals completely. This is a pain to do since like mine, it's on your arm and it's hard to keep dry. If it gets wet, no biggy, just dab it dry.

-Get some cocunut butter cream and lather it up every once in a while to keep it nice and moist. This will speed up the healing. I still apply this from the same tub I got about 5 years ago and it really brings out the color.

-It won't necessarily scab up like a scab on your skin will. When mine did, it was just kind of a crusty layer of skin and when it started coming off, I thought the color was coming out of the tattoo (it's just the scab)

-DO NOT pull the scab off though. This will result in the color getting pulled out of the skin. Just let it fall off by itself.

Man, that is such a great tatoo and I really like it. They are definitely addictive and I plan on getting one on my left arm at some point. I really want to keep with the underwater scheme and diving theme as well. Just not sure what to get yet It will really be a talking piece when people see it and I'm sure you will really like having it.

I'll post a pic of mine when I get a chance.

Adam
Old 10/06/2006, 08:26 AM
Registered Member

Hey Paul...this is exactly what my tattoo is off on my arm. I took a scanned image from this t-shirt and they traced and copied the exact colors from the shirt. The artist was able to recreate it perfectly on my arm.

Here's the frog: SCUBA Frog
Old 10/06/2006, 08:29 AM
My Life for Aiur!

Wow! Both of those tattoos are cool! Good choices.
Old 10/06/2006, 08:49 AM
Premium Member

Wow Paul that tatoo has unreal detail in it. I would swear that's real wood glued to your arm. Very nice and I'm not really a tatoo person but thats 1 hell of an artist.
Old 10/06/2006, 09:57 AM
Reef Fanatic

Yeppers, on all counts - I was VERY impressed by the quality & detail of the work. I couldn't have asked for better.

Adam - nice frog tattoo - VERY COOL!

Old 10/06/2006, 12:12 PM
Registered Member

Nice tatoo....
Old 10/06/2006, 03:15 PM
Reef Fanatic

Ok - finally for an ON TOPIC... Here are some pics of the Coral Hawkfish that I picked up on Monday of this week (October 2).

Enjoy!

Old 10/06/2006, 03:16 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Very nice. It's a great addition and a great start.
Old 10/10/2006, 04:05 AM
Reef Fanatic

Ok - I jumped in head first today and picked up a Snowflake Moray Eel (Echidna nebulosa) while at my LFS. The little sucker is about 1 foot long and is absolutely beautiful... Here are some pics:

I have only seen these at stores during the day, of course, so I was amazed @ how active it was once the lights shut off for the night. VERY cool!

The manager of the store also GAVE me a frag of this bright orange and brown encrusting montipora. They were calling it sunrise something or another. I'll get a pic of that tomorrow. That may go in my Oklahoma tank as I am trying to keep to Pocilloporids for this tank.

Old 10/10/2006, 06:50 AM
Registered Member

Wow Awesome additions you got there Paul. I REALLY like the eel that you got. Needless to say my LFS never get those in so I've never seen one in a store before.

They are simply amazing creatures though. Better watch when you're sticking your hands in the tank now . In the wild, eels in general are nightime feeders out and about cruising the reef looking for injured fish and anything else that they have hunt down. I've been on a couple of night dives down in the Keys and seen some leopard, snowflake, and morays out hunting on the reef. It's cool how they will swim along methodically and just keep peaking in holes and crevices looking for food. Awesome additions though.

How's the duplexium coming along?
Old 10/10/2006, 08:19 AM
My Life for Aiur!

Nice eel indeed. It looks to have a little more white coloration than most Snowflake Eels.
Old 10/10/2006, 08:23 AM
Registered Member

Looking good Capt. Snowflakes are beautiful creatures however make sure that you have a lid on your tank because I use to have one that would end up carpet surfing at night. I'd scoop him up & throw him back in there when I found him.

I eventually traded him in for store credit because he ate everything within the tank
Old 10/10/2006, 01:31 PM
Reef Fanatic

A couple of things to update the thread with...

First of all, for those that aren't familiar with Wet Web Media, go check things out their Marine Aquarium Articles & FAQs. I personally consider WWM to be one of the PREMIER sources of fish information. And that leads me to the recommendation of reading the WWM article on Snowflake Eels. It is good stuff indeed...

Second, I'd like to open my thread up for naming theme suggestions for the inhabitants for this tank. For instance, I have previously used things like "names from Buffy & Angel", or other such nonsense.

Anyone have any really good suggestions?