Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/10/2006, 07:39 PM
Threadkiller

Quote:
Originally posted by Lake75
Home Depot should have many O-rings in different sizes, one of which may fit the riser pipe. Or, you can do the gate mod sooner. That will eliminate the need for the O-ring.

thank you Lake. I tried a piece of standard 1.5" pvc and it seemed to slide over the pipe the same as the black riser, making me think I'd want the o-ring anyways for a good seal. The good news is that I had some nice shaving-cream like skimmate before it broke.

jp
Old 11/11/2006, 12:18 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RichConley
Maybe you guys should stop ordering from Marine Solutions. They seem to be the reason for most of these problems, not te product.

I had no problems with customaquatics, and plenty of people have had a great time with SWC.
I would definitely try other vendors if given another chance. But I still think the product support on this skimmer is baaaad. The only instruction is a piece of paper with a simplified figure. That may not matter much to you guys with lots of experience, but it was a big problem for me as well as many others... Anyway, about Marine Solutions, whenever you can actually reach them, they seem to be some nice guys, but I think they're really hurting themselves by doing business like this...
Old 11/11/2006, 12:23 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigJPDC
thank you Lake. I tried a piece of standard 1.5" pvc and it seemed to slide over the pipe the same as the black riser, making me think I'd want the o-ring anyways for a good seal. The good news is that I had some nice shaving-cream like skimmate before it broke.

jp
Oh, now I see why you need the O-ring. The 1.5" PVC won't fit perfectly over the black pipe; it will leak. What I did is to saw off the black pipe and leave only about 1", then glue the modified coupler to the black pipe, then dry fit the rest of 1.5" PVC parts. This way, I don't need the O-ring and there is no visible leak. If you don't want to cut the original riser pipe, then yes you'll need the O-ring.
Old 11/11/2006, 04:18 AM
Premium Member

just got my rps-1000 today, i did the o-ring mod. i just cut the inner part of the oring so that it's not at wide. i have a question about the output though, how should i cut the riser tube that come up from the adjustment valve? does it matter? would shorter be better to reduce the pressure?
Old 11/11/2006, 07:00 AM
Registered Member

Please recommend an octopus skimmer for my 30 gallon system. I have no room in the sump so am focusing on external skimmmers. I have a low bioload at this time so was considering a HOB . How are the HOB from Octopus doing ? TIA
Old 11/12/2006, 10:29 PM
Registered Member

nobody seemed to give me any solutions on my problem...I had also included pics...any ideas?
Old 11/13/2006, 01:20 AM
Registered Member

There is no way your going to reiablily glue that anin. If you want to fix it right keep pestering the place you bought it from for replacement parts. Also try the importer as well.

If that doesn't work try to get metric replacement pieces form one of the on-line plumbing stores like McMaster or such.

I don't see a real easy way to glue that.

Sorry.
Old 11/13/2006, 01:46 AM
Uncomfortably Caffeinated

I'm done waiting for these guys to get me a replacement cup. I bought a 3" union today and the metric crap is getting hacksawed off this week and I will build my own darn cup. There appears to be just enough neck to glue a new union to the body. As for the union nut for the pump I haven't decided what I want to do at this point, I may just end up doing a recirc on it cutting out the old pipe and using 1" uniseals....any suggestions here?

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian." But an Indian can't kill anything with a crooked arrow.
Old 11/13/2006, 04:06 PM
Registered Member

I'm giving Marine Solutions 3 days to respond before I get my money back from Paypal.
Old 11/13/2006, 04:10 PM
Flowalicious

Quote:
I would definitely try other vendors if given another chance. But I still think the product support on this skimmer is baaaad. The only instruction is a piece of paper with a simplified figure. That may not matter much to you guys with lots of experience, but it was a big problem for me as well as many others... Anyway, about Marine Solutions, whenever you can actually reach them, they seem to be some nice guys, but I think they're really hurting themselves by doing business like this...
I dunno, its not like any of the stuff could go anywhere other than where it goes. Nothing fits in anyplace except exactly where it goes. I didnt find anything the slightest bit confusing.
Old 11/13/2006, 04:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RichConley
I dunno, its not like any of the stuff could go anywhere other than where it goes. Nothing fits in anyplace except exactly where it goes. I didnt find anything the slightest bit confusing.
Well, if you looked back serveral pages, you would see I was desperately asking for help about the needle wheel impeller: It wasn't pre-assembled and I had no idea that the pump could be forced open to drop in the impeller. And one user who was trying to help me out was also confused by the fact that I seemed to have 2 impellers whereas he/she had only one... As I said, you may have no problems due to your familiarity with skimmers, but many others do. Also, it has been asked so many times in this thread about how deep the skimmer should be underwater. It would be nice if they could at least have one page of write-up to provide some basic FAQ's...
Old 11/13/2006, 04:42 PM
Premium Member

You need to remember what you are buying. These are cheap Chinese knock off's. If you want good customer service and good directions be prepared to fork out 3 or 4 times as much for the ASM.

Carl
Old 11/13/2006, 05:08 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by CarlC
.... These are cheap Chinese knock off's. If you want good ...

Yeah but these cheap knockoffs are much better built than the more expensive ASM so it's a toss up as to what's important to a buyer. Customer service and instruction manual versus build quality.

D.
Old 11/13/2006, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
It would be nice if they could at least have one page of write-up to provide some basic FAQ's...
Yeah, even if it was in Engrish. Seriously, have someone sit down for one day and write up the basic setup of the skimmer and include the instructions with the skimmer along with posting the PDF on your website.

Quote:
If you want good customer service and good directions be prepared to fork out 3 or 4 times as much for the ASM.
I wouldn't be buying an ASM if I was forking out 3 or 4 times as much

I'll email Marine Solutions about this thread.

My Euro-reef CS 6-2+ is lonely...
I'll find my soul as I go home
Old 11/13/2006, 05:59 PM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Well, if you looked back serveral pages, you would see I was desperately asking for help about the needle wheel impeller: It wasn't pre-assembled and I had no idea that the pump could be forced open to drop in the impeller. And one user who was trying to help me out was also confused by the fact that I seemed to have 2 impellers whereas he/she had only one... As I said, you may have no problems due to your familiarity with skimmers, but many others do. Also, it has been asked so many times in this thread about how deep the skimmer should be underwater. It would be nice if they could at least have one page of write-up to provide some basic FAQ's...
Thats because no one really knew what you were talking about. It seemed pretty obvious to me that the pump face comes off. Its just like every other moderately large pump I have.
Old 11/13/2006, 09:57 PM
Registered Member

Wow, guess you are always the know-it-all genius here and I'm just too stupid to know the "pretty obvious" thing. Lucky for me that dhnguyen understood what I was talking about and answered my quesiton nicely!
Old 11/13/2006, 10:28 PM
Registered Member

hey i finally got my part from pacific coast imports..Now I am having a leak problem...its where the inlet of the recirc pump goes..I have the RPS-1000. How did everyone else solve this issue? If i tighten it, it leaks from the skimmer and if loosen it then it drips from the pump? How did everyone else solve this issue..Sorry for the dumb questions..But I am a newbie!!
Old 11/13/2006, 11:14 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by anin
hey i finally got my part from pacific coast imports..Now I am having a leak problem...its where the inlet of the recirc pump goes..I have the RPS-1000. How did everyone else solve this issue? If i tighten it, it leaks from the skimmer and if loosen it then it drips from the pump? How did everyone else solve this issue..Sorry for the dumb questions..But I am a newbie!!
most likely you are missing a oring or the rubber spacer on the part. double check the diagram. my rps1000 came with 2 orings and 3 spacers. i used 2 of the orings and 2 spacer, can;t figure out where teh last spacer goes but i have no leaks so it might be a spare one.
Old 11/14/2006, 12:05 AM
Uncomfortably Caffeinated

Quote:
Originally posted by mthedude
I'm giving Marine Solutions 3 days to respond before I get my money back from Paypal.
FYI guy's, I just saw the recirc versions for sale at Premium Aquatics, you can be absolutely certain those guys will not give you the shaft. Even if there is no parts or the item is backordered etc, there will be no run around or lack of responses from e-mails, they have a active SPONSER forum, live chat AND they answer the phone. Carry on.....

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian." But an Indian can't kill anything with a crooked arrow.
Old 11/14/2006, 12:40 AM
Registered Member

Hey neotekz, thanks for the input, I tried using the white washer and the oring..still leaking..I even tried putting both to see if that would help..to help clarify where it's leaking, heres the pic..could this be a manufacture error? I also had a problem and recieved the part today and now having a leaking problem...I am not likeing this all at all...help me out fellaz
Old 11/14/2006, 12:57 AM
Premium Member

sounds like it could be a manufacture defect since u can;t take that fitting apart.
i made a mistake u need to use 3 rubber washers and 2 orings with one spare rubber washer.

the fitting you are talking about needs 2 rubber washer, one in between the adapter and pump(theres a groove on the pump for it) and another between the union and adapter. be careful with that adapter, the part the screws in your pump is pretty fragile don't screw it too hard or it will break

can you post some pics once u have it set up and running? does anyone know how long it takes the rps1000 to break in or better yet any pics of this thing producing skimate? i gave everything a vinegar bath for a few hours, i know its not long enough but i'm impatient. mines is still breaking in after 24h
Old 11/14/2006, 01:49 AM
Registered Member

hmmm...i never tried the adapter between the union and the adapter..So
1 washer on the pump ( the groove)
1 washer between the union and adapter
Still need a O ring?
Thx neoteks
Old 11/14/2006, 01:52 AM
Registered Member

Should i use a Oring at the last arrow? pointing at the outsided threading?
Old 11/14/2006, 01:56 AM
Premium Member

u don;t need any orings for that fitting in the pic, just 2 rubber washer. not sure what you can do, did u double check to see if u have the washers in there propertly it might of got caught in the threads or something. or it might just be a defect.
Old 11/14/2006, 02:07 AM
Registered Member

I haven't got a clue, my first piece broke and i had to order it from PCI and it came in today, so i took the old one out and just put the new one in..I am having trouble getting it off now