Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/30/2007, 08:18 AM
Lo?

I could have sworn at one time I saw a recirc mod kit on euro-reef.com, but can't find it now. only thing I see is a kit with pump included. I just purchased a used cs 6-2+ and want to recirc it, but have no idea of what size uniseal I need yet since I don't have the skimmer. I was hoping to order a "KIT" that I thought I saw for sale somewhere.

90 gal sps and mixed other. Tek 6x54 t-5's, DAS EX-1 skimmer, 2x 6045 nano streams.
Old 03/30/2007, 08:19 AM
Carpe Noctem

There was a kit on asmskimmer, but I never recall seeing one on the ER site...
Old 03/30/2007, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

FWIW, when i modded my euroreef for Recirculation i used a 1 1/4" hole saw for the 3/4 and 1/2 uniseals. They used the same sized diameter opening. They don't have it as a kit, but you can piece it together as you like.
Old 03/30/2007, 12:14 PM
Registered Member

I have a CS8-1 that is doing a great job on my 125. The only thing I do not like (In fact Hate!) is the effort it takes to unscrew & unscrew & unscrew & unscrew the union to remove the cup to empty/clean it. Because of the location of my sump it is very difficult. Are there any mods to make this easier or simpler?
Thanks
Old 03/30/2007, 12:31 PM
RC Sponsor

The promos came with new impeller. It should be black.

-Jeff
Old 03/30/2007, 12:34 PM
Premium Member

I've heard that the new black impeller provide only a minimal increase in skimmer production on the sedra 3500. Is this true?
RC Sponsor

E-mail (er.tech@euro-reef.com) or call (1-877-439-3876) Chip in the tech support and he can tell you what parts you needs to order from the ER Online store to do the mod you want to do.

-Jeff
Registered Member

Jeff, can i put an eheim 1260 from h&s on my RC-135?

BTW, glad to see you participating in the thread more often. There's nothing better than hearing things straight from the source.
Old 03/30/2007, 12:46 PM
RC Sponsor

pperez,

Well, I can't promise to be consistent, but I will help when I can.

The 1260 from H&S is really a 1262 in configuration as they have molded a special impeller housing cover to make assembly easier and increase efficiency to match the 1262. Unfortunately, it will overpower the RC135. We are working on the actual 1260 for the RC135 and should know within a few weeks if it will work. We are actually trying the 1060 as well, but we are waiting on pricing from EHEIM before we make an order and release the new information.

Hope that helps.

-Jeff
Old 03/30/2007, 01:07 PM
Registered Member

Wow, that's great news. I will wait then until you guys finish your testing. Hope it passes inspection, lol.

Also do you guys make collection cup extensions to extend the height of the skimmer? Sort of like a coupling.

Thanks and i will stay tuned.
Old 03/30/2007, 01:10 PM
Generic Member

Jeff, have you looked into suitability of the 1250 to be used on the RC80/100 skimmers?
Old 03/30/2007, 02:11 PM
Premium Member

Hello all- I am using a newly set up rs-80 promo. I have had it running in this new tank, but with mature fully cured LR for 5 days, and the bubbles are just starting to work their way up to the top of the tube - not over it into the cup yet. Is this about right in terms of timing?
Old 03/30/2007, 03:39 PM
Premium Member

Sounds like a pretty quick break in, actually. Mine took nearly two weeks before I could adjust the foam level without it overflowing.
Old 03/30/2007, 05:47 PM
Mobb Hitman

Is there a way to "set up" a ER skimmer. I have a CS6-1 and I'm getting turbulance through out the entire skimmer.... all the way up to around the bottom of the collection cup. I read somewhere in the hundreds of pages here that once the bubbles get to the neck... there should be no turbulance and the bubbles should just rise naturally.

Any way to fix this?????

Am I suppose to CLOSE venturi %100 to set water level and then OPEN %100 to get foam... and then dial in the foam with a valve at the end of the tube?

This skimmer has been running for about 4 months... no blockage in the venturi tube.... no mod's done to the Sedra KSP-3500.... only mod on skimmer is a gate valve.

Please help because I'm barely getting any skimmate!!! And the skimmate I do get is lime-green. My 50g is heavily stock too. I've been fighting with this skimmer for months now.... I'm at my end with this skimmer

Last edited by AngeloM3; 03/30/2007 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03/30/2007, 08:47 PM
Premium Member

We had a CS6-1 on our 90 for over 4 years. And until just recently on our new 150.
Now I'm running a RC180 - it took about 4 weeks of tweaking but now it rocks!

The 6-1 did not have a valve on the airline so it ran wide open. I started by closing the gate valve until the bubbles were almost flowing over into the collection cup.
Keep an eye on it so that it doesn't overflow into the cup.....

Then I slowly opened the gate valve so that the bubbles were about an inch or so from the top of the riser in the collection cup.
I know the book says in the middle of the neck - but mine never did much from that low.

After a few days it will settle down and make a nice thick goo - from there you can adjust the level higher if you want a wetter skimmate.

Hope this helps.
Old 03/30/2007, 08:57 PM
Premium Member

I agree with Fuzzy on the adjustment. I have one running on a 90 also with the gate valve kit and it pulls some nasty stuff out. I have it running with the bubbles about 2/3 of the way up the riser tube and it skims more dry than wet. It leaves some dark brown foul smelling skimmate.
I did get an air valve and close it to the 1-2 o`clock position and it created smaller and finer bubbles which increased the skimmate production some. I just replaced the pump with a new sedra one with the new impeller and it created finer bubbles right off so I have the air valve almost all the way open now.
Once you get it working it will pull the darker brown skimmate out you are looking for. How much water is the skimmer sitting in? It will also affect the adjustment on the skimmer.....
Also remember to adjust it some and let it sit for awhile and then adjust it again and let it sit awhile. Small changes take some time to see the results from.
Old 03/30/2007, 09:05 PM
Mobb Hitman

My bubble level is about half way up riser tube. I'll adjust it so its a little higher. Its sitting in about 8" or 9" of water. I will make a stand for it thats raises it out of the water a little bit more.

Fuzzy and Phyxius... is there turbulance in your skimmer all the way up to about the bottom of your collection cup? Cause I can see the bubbles moving back and forth (turbulance) up into the neck of the skimmer... even above where you screw the cup onto the skimmer.
Old 03/30/2007, 09:11 PM
Premium Member

AngeloM3,
Yes the bubbles/turbulence in mine is past the screw on part for the cup. It actually stops at the base of the cup which looks to be about 2/3 of the way or less from the top of the skimmer where the neck narrows in to the top of the neck where it dumps in the cup. If I take it higher I end up getting much wetter skimmate. My skimmer is on a stand also but is still in 9" of water at peak water height level in sump.

I also run a CS-80 skimmer on my 29 frag tank and it sits in same water depth. Its adjusted a little higher in the neck to get the same dark skimmate although its a wetter skimmate. I have a gate valve kit for it but am just using the riser tube and air valve for adjustment now.
Old 03/30/2007, 09:27 PM
Mobb Hitman

Hmmmm...... thanks for the quick response!

I'll make those few minor adjustments.... also I'm thinking of trying the mesh mod to help out a bit.
Old 03/30/2007, 10:33 PM
Registered Member

Hey Jeff-
I have heard a couple of different opinions on the air valve on the venturi. I have a new rs-80 and I'm not sure if I should pinch down the air valve, leave it on but open, or remove it completely. Can you shed some light on this for me? thanks
Old 03/30/2007, 11:36 PM
Registered Member

jeff. My promo came with the white impeller. What should I do, if anything?
Old 04/02/2007, 06:40 PM
RC Sponsor

spgallagher7,

No worries. It will work fine. The difference between the old and new SP2 impeller is marginal. It's the other impellers that have the increased performance curves.

-Jeff
Old 04/02/2007, 06:41 PM
RC Sponsor

We just posted our first Featured Aquarium of the month on our website. Check it out: http://www.euro-reef.com/Featured%20...%20Month.shtml

Nice job Josh!!

-Jeff
Old 04/02/2007, 07:08 PM
Registered Member

Thanks jeff. Appreciate your monitoring of this thread. Your customer relations is another reason why I went with euro-reef.
Old 04/02/2007, 07:15 PM
RC Sponsor

It's our pleasure!!

-Jeff