Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/14/2007, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cougarman
jinarowe try this IP one more time, same password and user. http://74.12.7.184:1027

If this doesnt work I give up
So now I try it and it won't take the password. Oh well, maybe next time.

As far as ventillation is concerned, I could see quite a bit of air movement in the tank room Chuck as the labels on your sand filters were flapping all over the place.

BUT...this is indeed a serious issue to contend with sooner than later. Your living room above is supported by special engineered wood and I would do some research on how it will react to the salt air. No matter how much ventillation you have, the air is still carrying salt in it.

I have a highly vented purpose built tank room and many things are corroding including certain wire, stainless steel tables, etc. Anything made out of iron will corrode. So you have the beams open as well as all the ductwork wiring etc. and that's an issue. When you look right above the 600g you see all that ducting? I used the exact same material on my tank blowers and they are all rusting.

So, just from my experience.
Old 08/14/2007, 10:14 PM
Registered Member

jinarowe, I'll post it again tomorrow, cant see anything now, lights are off.
Old 08/14/2007, 10:27 PM

OK cool.

Chuck, you HAVE to post that pic you sent me...in my tank room, that shelving alone would be rusted by now.
Old 08/14/2007, 10:40 PM
Premium Member

I found a picture of my first salt tank, a 55 gallon tank. I can hear the tang police coming now. Anyhow, I am amazed looking at this picture how many of these fish are in the 470 today. The yellow tangs, chromis, anthias, glass eyes, and even the darn damsels. Those fish have been through a lot since that picture was taken...

Old 08/14/2007, 10:52 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kau_cinta_ku
just remember if you really want it, anything is possiable with a little work and time. but i can't blame ya the fish are great.

If you can get the tanks nitrites and ammonia down to 0 to help with the fishe's health in the long run. you would be pretty much set for corals anyway.

not sure how far your willing to go to get the ammonia and nitrites down to 0 but I will check out some things hopefully tomarow when i get time and give ya some ideas. and go from there.
I'll give anything a try except for giving away the fish. With every ones help & input, I'm feeling better about the tank!
Old 08/14/2007, 10:57 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MrSaltLife
hey chuck any new fish? I got my sohal a few hours ago!! Every one likes him except my Blue Queen Angle the horne coming out of her forehead turned yellow from blue!!! I think I'm scared I turned off the lights and changed rock structure a little Every thing seems to be better now but only time will tell.
No, but I have 1 (ONE) , new fish coming on Thursday. How big of Sohal did you get? I had to take mine out of the new tank and move it to the 210. It was having a hard time being accepted by the rest of the tank inhabitants.
Old 08/14/2007, 11:09 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cbui2
Chuck i'm still waiting for you to wave back? i cant see you
Bart...Once your cams are up, we'll be able to have 2 way video conferences.....
Old 08/14/2007, 11:10 PM
g0t fIsH

thats funny, i thought sohal are really aggressive. maybe a week in the hole will do the job ?
(red house for 600gal)
Old 08/14/2007, 11:12 PM
Registered Member

He is medium with streamers!! I got him from a good friend of mine. They say they are the worst temperd but in my exp. and what I've read if they are the last fish to be added they can get bullied. What is your newest addition? PM me if necessary
Old 08/14/2007, 11:13 PM
g0t fIsH

Quote:
Originally posted by Goodwin9
Bart...Once your cams are up, we'll be able to have 2 way video conferences.....
that would be really cool, but i have been so lazy the last 2 months . cant wait til labor day weekend for vacation.
(red house for 600gal)
Old 08/15/2007, 08:53 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cbui2
thats funny, i thought sohal are really aggressive. maybe a week in the hole will do the job ?
Actually, this was the second fish that I had to remove from the new tank. The Achilies tang was having the same problem when introduced in the tank. It was being chased all over and finally bullied into one of the corners. I was able to net him and move him to the 210 where he has fit in nicely with the rest of the fish.
Old 08/15/2007, 09:16 AM
Registered Member

I acclimate all my fish in a 130 gallon that I have plumbed into the system. They're usually in there around 6 weeks until any ich and problems from stress have been resolved. I also feed them heavily, so they're fat and strong. Then I move them to the main tank. There's aggression at first, but they settle in nicely after a few days. This technique works for introducing even the smallest tangs.
Old 08/15/2007, 09:20 AM
Registered Member

The move from 130 to 600 is less stressful, b/c its all the same water, so no shock that way.
Old 08/15/2007, 09:26 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
I acclimate all my fish in a 130 gallon that I have plumbed into the system. They're usually in there around 6 weeks until any ich and problems from stress have been resolved. I also feed them heavily, so they're fat and strong. Then I move them to the main tank. There's aggression at first, but they settle in nicely after a few days. This technique works for introducing even the smallest tangs.
Not being the expert I am, I wonder if you are defeating the purpose of the QT tank when it is plumbed into the rest of your system. I have been led to believe that during one stage of the ick cycle, the organisms are "free floating". If this is the case, couldn't they move from one tank to another? I use the drip acclimation method now that I have been adding so many fish at one time. Seems to work for me.
Old 08/15/2007, 09:45 AM
Registered Member

I am still a rookie ...but I thought you want your QT seperate from your main system so you will not introduce anything to the system.

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 08/15/2007, 10:44 AM
Registered Member

ya, I'm not a believer of the quarantine method. Thats why I refer to it as an acclimation tank instead. You're right ich is mobile. I think ich and other pathogens are latent in the tank at all times. my new fish in the acclimation tank will get ich, but the fish in the main tank will be fine. the ich will pass, and the new fish will be resistant. They may get it again, but it wont be severe. As long as they eat, they'll get over the initial bout. I rarely have any trouble with disease in my main tank.
Old 08/15/2007, 11:02 AM
Registered Member

yeah your right!, wow I never thought about that Eric! good point! I think i need to go back to the drawing board before I put in a order for my tanks.
Old 08/15/2007, 11:55 AM
Registered Member

The main purpose of the acclimation tank is to get the new fish feeding, fat and healthy before introducing it to the other established fish. The shipping from the ocean to your tank is very stressfull, and often the fish arrives in rough shape. The toughest thing in my opinion is getting the fish to start eating. I find I'm more successful when there's less competition for food, in the acclimation tank.
Old 08/15/2007, 11:59 AM
Registered Member

right nowI have a spotted cheeks tang in my acclimation tank. At first he wouldn't feed, and him behind the powerhead when I'd come to the tank. After a couple weeks now, he's feeding heavily, and out waiting for me to feed him. I dont think I could have achieved this if I had put him into my main tank right away. He's alot smaller than my other tangs.
Old 08/15/2007, 12:01 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
right nowI have a spotted cheeks tang in my acclimation tank. At first he wouldn't feed, and him behind the powerhead when I'd come to the tank. After a couple weeks now, he's feeding heavily, and out waiting for me to feed him. I dont think I could have achieved this if I had put him into my main tank right away. He's alot smaller than my other tangs.
I had the exact same problem with mine. Although they are still a little shy, at least they are hiding behind the rocks all day.
Old 08/15/2007, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

ya I've found mine to be definately more timid than most tangs. were you able to log onto my camera?
Old 08/15/2007, 12:06 PM

hehehhehe...I have a "dually" tank... My QT is seperate from the main system to isolate per typical QT regimen. For instance I just got some sweet zoanthids that had zoa eating nudis and eggs on them. If the system was plumbed to the main, it would be a total disaster. I am not entirely sold on the QT process either mostly because it is again a shock to the animal. Sometimes, depending on fish behavior, I may acclimate directly to the main. With any kind of coral, I insist on QT.

The difference with my QT is that I have a line that will drain from the fuge directly into the QT when I open a valve. And the line ends in a float valve. So when I feel that it's time to go into the main system, I open the valve and remove some water from the QT. Over the course of a few days I remove a qt or so every couple hours, and the new arrival will be well acclimated to the main system.

Then, in the case of fish, I release after lights out. This gives me the best flexibility and also can coincide with a water change for the main system.

Just some food for thought guys!
Old 08/15/2007, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

thats a great design jinarowe
Old 08/15/2007, 01:05 PM
Registered Member

"i dont post ever here,,
first off, regardless of the so called porfessionals on these sites opinions, your tank (if you can call it that) is gorgeous,,

unfortunately, as i have witnessed many times before, it seems that you have become yet another victim of the AP haters, who basically surf threads and and point out mistakes or as they see them. These mistakes are strictly based on the information that they believe in,,, it sort of falls under the same concept as religion, all with one goal,, all with different ways of getting there,,, regardless, i do believe that one of the so called doomsday theorists of your tank crashing had a quite similar event not too long ago, so really has no right to point fingers... it appears that they are taking a calmer way, but unfortunately are somewhat two faced as they are preaching "HOW NOT TO STOCK YOUR TANK" on the "other boards.. cough AP cough...

Although i do not personally agree with all your methods, i do not feel it is not my right or anyone elses to scold you,, honestly, the hobby has advanced tremendously in the previous years, and most of these "pros" are only as intelligent as the last thing they read on their home board and really have no previous knowledge past "Euro Reef and Metal Halide or T5".... They are for the most part trend reefers, and thus, follow the information that they read on the net,,, and truly have no experience in the "Long run". But rather, leech off the information which is given and feel it their god given right to pass it on to everyone who they feel does not fit into their "proper methodolgy".

I commend you on sharing your piece of the ocean, and taking everyones thoughts wishes and advice with such an open mind, if i were you, i would probably already be banned...

In addition to this, regardless of how large or little of an impact my comment makes, i feel it necessary to tell you that you are being made an example of on other boards in a negative way, this is not to upset you, but just to bring it to your attention, as i feel that this is inexcusable, and just stright rude, as the instigator of the thread on the other site is also a poster on this one..."

Zoos - I think your post sums up the whole AP experience - lots of people who masquarade as experts by volume of post , Bash anything that doesnt agree with there own theories and show generaly bad ettiquete - Like linking to a post on another forum to bash it - Bad Form - And Yes they do seem to have more than there share of crashes so pointing the finger is in nanoreefaholics own words - The pot calling the kettle black, and seems to be envy and sour grapes in equal measures. God help that you post anything on that forum that disagrees with the Mods opinion (regardless how experienced) it will be deleted in a flash. I see that Atomik is trying to mend his ways by offering some reasonable advice but its a bit late after launching into you in the childish manner he started. If you dont like it - Stay on AP. The tone of the forum set there is with that if you put a disclaimer in your signature that you may offend people , then its open season to say what you like. Nice.

Im not saying I agree 100% on the stocking levels but I have seen worse , and I have seen better. You maybe rushed things a bit but it looks good overall.

Now - hopefully some mods can get in here and clean up the trash talk. Censure of the cross poster would be a good start as im sure the link will not comply with your terms of use, and it sure as h*ll wouldnt last on AP - feel free to remove mine at the same time.
Old 08/15/2007, 01:11 PM
Premium Member

ahhh its so nice that there are others willing to say it the way it is thanks numpty... :-)

Owner MC Lighting Concepts - LED Lighting Products