Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/23/2007, 05:44 AM
Registered Member

Dzeadow, you may be right. The skimmer may still be breaking in. It has been going now for about a week and is really pulling alot of black skimmate. I have been running the tank without a skimmer for a while. I also just added two more fish, so the bioload is higher.

The skimmer is working great. The silencer does make it quieter though. Ill keep an eye with it on, then take it off. let me know what you come up with on your comparison.
Old 11/23/2007, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

Wow everyones having skimming. Sorry to hear dzeadow that you got a wet carpet atleast it didnt do flood the house. So atm the mod is helping right? You mentioned less bubbles like the skimmer is off so the mod is working right?? I read from venge that he bored out his intake and it helped alittle.
Old 11/23/2007, 11:59 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason1520
I forgot who gave me the tip, and this thread is getting too long to go back, but the silencer absolutley makes the BH100 quieter as well as work better. The skimmer was pulling good stuff before, but once i put the silencer on the production picked up for some reason. The skimmate is getting much darker. There is also alot more foam coming out of the top.

Pics coming this week...
That would be PIankton, he mentioned he is getting better skimmate with that thing on. Hope to see some pics. Man I am still dead still to stuffed from turkey day.
For the price of these skimmers it just cant be beat, I am thinking this is probaly one of the cheapest good preforming hob there is. The other options that look nice is the deltec and rogue but wow the bermuda is 250~300 with mods luke posted. Its kind of out of my reach and sure cost mroe than my tank set up. And the deltec is way too much.
Old 11/23/2007, 06:37 PM
Premium Member

So far I don't see any micro bubbles anymore. What I see now is microscopic particles that just don't seem to settle down. I'm pretty sure they're not micros because when they reach the surface they just sit there and wait to get blown around by the powerhead again, but I've got my surace skimmer working top notch now as well as the powerheads blowing the surface so there's significantly less particles than before. Overall, as long as I'm not feeding/scraping algae, the tank is pretty darn clear. I can't complain as I only spend $150 on the skimmer and it pulls nasty junk out all the time. As for the mods I'm using as of right this second, the 4' long airline (which I'm sure I could reduce by a lot, and the elbow w/ pvc sticking up. I took the T off, it was actually too high and the water was pouring out of it causing bubbles.

Go SunDevils...there's always next year!
Old 11/23/2007, 07:05 PM
Registered Member

You removed the top T? in this picture?
Old 11/23/2007, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

I wonder when will they release this octo

Luke did mention the octo extreme line but I have yet seen this one put up for release. I am sure I read somewhere in this thread someone mentioned about just sticking a maxijet w/ mesh mod or something in the center and it would work also. Might actually have to add a bubble plate like that one too.

Hey Koral think you can put your octo up against the cpr bak pak? I wonder would the cpr preform just aswell if you stuck a resun on it? Just like the octos pump.

Last edited by FishAreFriends2; 11/23/2007 at 08:24 PM.
Old 11/23/2007, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

Man - you guys think you have micros now - buy that thing. Just looks like micro city...
Old 11/23/2007, 08:30 PM
Registered Member

Note - a bag of Purigen causes the skimmer to push extra hard and causes the water level to RISE...
Old 11/23/2007, 09:02 PM
Premium Member

Yeah, I removed the T in that picture, so it's just the elbow w/ a 1 1/2 long stick of pvc stickin up towards the surface.. as I look at it now though, I could easily add another 1/2" or so to reach the surface but there's no point. It IS amazing how many large bubbles are coming out though, so you know it's gotta have a ton of micros accumulating into a bunch of larger ones.

Old 11/23/2007, 09:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dzeadow
Yeah, I removed the T in that picture, so it's just the elbow w/ a 1 1/2 long stick of pvc stickin up towards the surface.. as I look at it now though, I could easily add another 1/2" or so to reach the surface but there's no point. It IS amazing how many large bubbles are coming out though, so you know it's gotta have a ton of micros accumulating into a bunch of larger ones.
Alright glade to know its working out for you, I might just go down to lowes and get some parst to use. But I would spray them grey than attach them on. The white doesnt match to well, but if you dont care about that than its no biggy. Is the extra airline actually any use? Or the tube mod is all you need?
Old 11/23/2007, 09:52 PM
Premium Member

i'm waiting for coraline to cover that and the ato switch covers

Old 11/23/2007, 11:18 PM
One Good Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by pIankton
Man - you guys think you have micros now - buy that thing. Just looks like micro city...
Actually you shouldn't have a micro problem at all because the blue flow adjuster. If you have to many micro's, then slow the flow. Cant wait to see this thing in action.
Old 11/24/2007, 02:03 AM
Registered Member

Luke, any idea when they will release this model? And will it be under octo or SWC? That skimmer looks wider than the 100F also, I am curious to how it will handle that amount of air, Koral tried 1 sedra meshed and it was way too much for the skimmer cup to handle.

They also have one more model thats not out yet.
The Bh100R

Looks like a cpr fuge to me.
Old 11/24/2007, 01:41 PM
Registered Member

Dzeadow what happens if you close the little hole on the cap? Why not replace the cap with the plexi left over from your bubble trap?
Old 11/24/2007, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

Does anyone know if a sedra 2500 will fit inside the Octo 100F? I plan to upgrade the stock pumps but would like to make sure beforehand.
Old 11/24/2007, 02:12 PM
Premium Member

closing the cap hole doesn't seem to do much that I've noticed, the only thing I can think it'd do is force more air out the pipe vs coming out the top of the T on the outlet.

Lubu:
I think Koraltek said that the sedra created too much airflow for the cup to handle and overflowed.. but I don't remember, I believe it's about half way back this 35pg thread.

Old 11/24/2007, 03:50 PM
Registered Member

Koral did mention that but it was on a Bh 100 and it was also mesh modded. Meshing a pump makes it draw in alot more air. Right now no one has tested if a stock sedra. The sedras are not needlewheels but rather a pinwheel kind of pump. I think it may work. As for the sedra 2500, I am curious does it come with the back brackets? If it does its going to be a tight fit. I recall reading about happys post about the genx 1k and it had the bracket thing and barely fit down there. But more than likly if its the same size as a resun225 f it would fit. I think a stock sedra 2500 wont over power the bh100 but who knows no one has a stock one. koral didnt have a 2500 stock on hand but right now he's running a resun thats mesh modded and its working well. I am guessing the sedra may do better than a resun mesh modded.
Koraltek
I was wondering did you place your order on the bh100F? I'd like to see how you mod that thing.
Old 11/24/2007, 10:45 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lubu
Does anyone know if a sedra 2500 will fit inside the Octo 100F? I plan to upgrade the stock pumps but would like to make sure beforehand.

Quote:
Originally posted by dzeadow

Lubu:
I think Koraltek said that the sedra created too much airflow for the cup to handle and overflowed.. but I don't remember, I believe it's about half way back this 35pg thread.
Koraltek mentioned it was a mesh modded sedra 2500, he doesnt have a stock one to use so its unknown. I will agree with FareF, koraltek did mention hes using a mesh modded resun but if you use a stock sedra with the impreller it has. It probaly is better then the resun mesh modded but it wont be too powerful neither. I am thinking in between mesh sedra and resun mesh.

Quote:
Originally posted by koraltek
o.k. well, when i put a sedra 2500 mesh modded on the bh100, waaay too much air/water...it literally overflowed from the top of the skimmer.
i am wishing i had an unmodded sedra needle wheel now...
but i have the regular pump in there, mesh modded, which works great! alot of bubbles going out the return, but all caught by my bubble trap.
i also was given a surface skimmer/bubble trap for a remora pro, it fits the bh100 great, but man it's big, as it's the one for a mag pump. but i think it will be great for my little 15g nano, i can keep my heater in there, ato topoff in the surface skimmer area, carbon in the bubble trap, and the heater in the skimmer. so all there will be is the black ss/bt box and one tunze nano stream in the tank. that and the new version of the tek t5 4 bulb fixture i just bought, and it will be complete.

i am wondering if the smaller remora ss/bt box made for the maxijet pump will fit the resun pump...im hoping....
but if I recall I think koraltek did this pump swithc when its new? correct me if I am wrong. If thats so wouldnt using the pump now have a reduce in the amount of foam?
Old 11/24/2007, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

Oh Dzeadow what did you do here?

New Mod?

And any updates to the chopped up remora? to a octo knock off?

Last edited by happyface888; 11/24/2007 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11/24/2007, 11:33 PM
Registered Member

So, anyone tried fitting a Sedra 2500 inside the 100F? Will the pump be too big?
Old 11/24/2007, 11:36 PM
One Good Friend

Hello guys, just thought i'd say that the recirc hot octo's will be in at marine solutions around the 21 of dec. They'll be 230bux. I'm guessing they are going to be one of the best hot's around.

http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/ca...roducts_id=134
Old 11/25/2007, 02:42 AM
Registered Member

Sweet thanks for the update luke, I would like to see who gets their hands on one of those Octopus BHF300F . But it probaly still cant compete with the bermuda right? the burmuda draws in alot of air, well we will just have to wait and see how it works. Will be looking forward to who ever gets this skimmer. Think that skimmer could take on the deltec?
Old 11/25/2007, 02:42 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lubu
So, anyone tried fitting a Sedra 2500 inside the 100F? Will the pump be too big?
I dont think anyone of us has tried it, I dont own a sedra 2500 and its kind of pricey to get one, dzeadow and slim dont have it neither. The only one that looks like they can test it would be koraltek, he said he was going to order one and he has one on hand thats modded. So you would have to wait. Or give us the dimensions of that pump, and Ill check if it would fit in that first chamber. BTW does that pump have that extra bracket for the suction cups?, might have to remove thoes.
Old 11/25/2007, 10:47 AM
Premium Member

don't worry about the T in the photo, I took it of, it was causing more micros because the water was pouring back into the tank vs flowing out of the pipe. My skimmer's lost syphon twice this week though which sucks. I still think the pump is bad or something. I'll wake up in the morning and here it, the pump will be trying to do something, but the syphon just quit for whatever reason. And this past week I've had the dam on the surface skimmer pretty low so I know it hasn't run out of water, plus my ATO is working a little too good (anytime the pump closest to the sensor kicks on, if the water level's off just a hair it kicks on the supply pump). So who knows. maybe if I have some extra money come dec./jan I'll get the new recirc model.. if this keeps up. Its kind of a pain to have to start the syphon all over again multiple times a week.

Old 11/25/2007, 11:23 AM
Registered Member

^
Frankly i don't trust those Resun King pumps as they're not very reliable. That's why i would like to know if other pumps can fit inside the chamber.
Here is a skimmer with a Sedra 2500 pump, and looks like the wall to wall width of the chamber is 3.5". Can someone tell me what the outside dimension width of the 100F? If it's 3" then it probably won't fit