Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/02/2007, 01:03 AM
El Jefe de WRS

Sanjay,
I found a better place for everyone to view the work that the 'lego lighting' guys were doing...
http://archiv.korallenriff.de/Sindel...essung_06.html

I think its funny because the very first thing they list at the top of their page is the work you and Marks have done with halide reflectors...lol. They are looking at us as we are looking at them!

They include more info on their Lego Robot, and other things. You should contact those guys... get an automated testing system setup so all you have to do is mount the bulb and press 'enter'...lol.
Old 02/02/2007, 10:12 PM
See if you can pingaso it

Sanjay ... I'm also waiting for the Reeflux 12k results... Do you have an idea when you will post them ?
Old 02/02/2007, 11:26 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hahnmeister
Sanjay,
I found a better place for everyone to view the work that the 'lego lighting' guys were doing...
http://archiv.korallenriff.de/Sindel...essung_06.html

I think its funny because the very first thing they list at the top of their page is the work you and Marks have done with halide reflectors...lol. They are looking at us as we are looking at them!

They include more info on their Lego Robot, and other things. You should contact those guys... get an automated testing system setup so all you have to do is mount the bulb and press 'enter'...lol.
Thanks, I will contact them. I would really like to be able to hit the button, sip a few beers and get the results

sanjay.
Old 02/03/2007, 07:04 AM
Registered Member

Thanks Sanjay for testing the 12K Reeflux. Hopefully Advanced Aquarist will post them in this months issue. So around 12 more days from now we should be able to know the results.
Old 02/06/2007, 10:01 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
As far as I know, the 10,000K and 20,000K bulbs that hamilton sells are Ushios.
if this is the case why do they have different values when comparing those two?

for Ushio:
http://www.reeflightinginfo.arvixe.c...00W%20HQI&x5=N

for Hamilton:
Old 02/06/2007, 01:59 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Oh, sorry, I thought you were talking about DE bulbs...
Old 02/07/2007, 08:32 PM
Premium Member

Sanjay what is the ETA on the 150W DE tests like the Phoenix etc?
Old 02/07/2007, 08:57 PM
Registered Member

.................And AB & Ushio?
Old 02/08/2007, 09:13 AM
Registered Member

Actually if you took bulbs from the same production line only about 3 months apart in the production runs you might see as much varience as your seeing between these bulbs.

I know of one individual who bought the same bulb from two different sources and they used both to replace there old bulbs they had a different color tint on oppositre ends of there tank. one was redish and the other more yellow.

Looking at the PAR there is roughly a 20% difference and the Color temp is within 5% so this could easily be the same bulb only manufactured in different lots.

This is why a quality sample is not just taking just one unit but running a considerable number of units and the number of units tested depends upon the variances between the units already tested. Then you establish and average as well as range for the units that were tested. The units with the smallest range are the most consistant and those with wide ranges become less less consistant to the point where they could be out of control.

Now the question is what is out of control. If they can list a light bulb with a K temp of 5,000K different from what is measures there is no standard that says they are falsly advertising it.

Show me a light bulb that actually measures 20,000K?

Dennis

Quote:
Originally posted by german_reef
if this is the case why do they have different values when comparing those two?

for Ushio:

for Hamilton:
Old 02/08/2007, 10:06 AM
POWERED by A200-1260

anyone know what the standard life is on a 250W SE HELIOS on HQI? I know that RADIUMS last about 6MO But any clue on the Helios? Thanks

SF 49ERS!!! SF GIANTS!!!

Last edited by fishsoldseprtly; 02/08/2007 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02/10/2007, 05:09 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Just got a response from Phil at Xenia USA...

He says that all the Giesemann 400wattSE bulbs are in fact HQI rated. He was even trying to explain to me how to check a bulb's internals visually and all to see for myself (so I will assume he knows what Im talking about, not just pulling names out of thin air). So add Giesemann 400 watt SE bulbs to the small list of HQI rated 400wattSE bulbs. Ushio/BLV nepturion 10,000K, 14,000K, 20,000K... Aquaconnect 14,000K, and Aqualine 10,000K.
Old 02/11/2007, 12:30 PM
Hawks Rule!

Quote:
Just got a response from Phil at Xenia USA...

He says that all the Giesemann 400wattSE bulbs are in fact HQI rated. He was even trying to explain to me how to check a bulb's internals visually and all to see for myself (so I will assume he knows what Im talking about, not just pulling names out of thin air). So add Giesemann 400 watt SE bulbs to the small list of HQI rated 400wattSE bulbs. Ushio/BLV nepturion 10,000K, 14,000K, 20,000K... Aquaconnect 14,000K, and Aqualine 10,000K.

Does this mean that by running them on electronic ballasts(underdriving them), I can shorten the bulb life? They cost too much to have to replace them more often then needed.

Sandbeds operate like wormholes and the excess nutrients and detritus are transported to a sister galaxy - Bomber

12-7-41 & 9-11-01 Never Forget!
Old 02/11/2007, 04:14 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Possible, but I will admit, that is a question that some of us have been asking for some time now. In theory, yes, if the halides are not excited enough with an e-ballast to match the output of a HQI ballast, then that would mean that they are depositing themselves on the bulb wall.

I have found e-ballasts to run a couple bulbs to dim faster (yes, I know they start out dimmer, but they also diminish with what they have faster as well).

I wish they would just come out with a HQI rated e-ballast and then this wouldnt be such a problem.
Old 02/12/2007, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

Does anyone have any info on the Hamilton 400W 20000K bulbs? I don't see this in Sanjay's chart. I'm trying to compare it w/ the XM 400W 20000K bulbs.
Thanks
Old 02/12/2007, 10:53 PM
Registered Member

Sanjay... Exactly what meter are you using to get your readings. Where might I be able to obtain a simular meter to get readings at the various wave lenghts and plot them out? How much of an investment would I have to make?

Dennis
Old 02/12/2007, 11:16 PM
El Jefe de WRS

$$$ Thousands $$$

Dennis, he does list the meters he uses in his reviews.
Old 02/13/2007, 12:38 AM
El Jefe de WRS

Here are some numbers from my last PAR comparison...

Old 02/13/2007, 08:36 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Some might argue the validity of those numbers, since Im not exactly comparing the best performers from either category... but let me explain:

The color of both setups is very similar. Some might remember when I ran a pheonix 14,000K on this tank. I claimed that the pheonix and the T5s were a color match... and they are... but the EVC has an actinic peak that the pheonix lacks... so even though its a little duller, its an even closer color match. For those light values of the pheonix, you can simply use Sanjay's info archive to create a ratio: The EVC is perhaps the highest output 20,000K 250wattDE at an output of 64. The pheonix is at 88. So you can multiply all the numbers in the halide tank above by 88/64 to see what the pheonix would be scoring. Or, you could multiply by 126/88 for the Giesemann Coral. This may not take into account the degrading over time, but were at 5 months here... not exactly that long for a 250wattDE... pretty much the same as a car with 20,000miles.

The T5s could be brighter too... I could run the 'power combo' that I know some people use of GE 6500Ks and blue+ bulbs. Its a very bright combo... perhaps the most powerful I know of (well, with the older GE bulbs at least... now maybe Middays or Sun pro bulbs would be better).

But this is to show how combos that almost match in color look and compare PAR wise. All I gotta say is... The T5s are much better at making blue than halides are.
Old 02/14/2007, 05:14 PM
Hawks Rule!

Any info anywhere on the 250w SE 14.5k Gman? Is this a probe start bulb? Par?

After scrapping several new tank ideas, I decided to do a 48x48x24. I'm leaning towards running 4 175w 15k Iwasaki's on ARO or EVC ballasts in LA minis.

I'd definitely tank other suggestions if anyone has any.

Sandbeds operate like wormholes and the excess nutrients and detritus are transported to a sister galaxy - Bomber

Old 02/14/2007, 09:15 PM
Hawks Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by Aquaticman74
Any info anywhere on the 250w SE 14.5k Gman? Is this a probe start bulb? Par?

After scrapping several new tank ideas, I decided to do a 48x48x24. I'm leaning towards running 4 175w 15k Iwasaki's on ARO or EVC ballasts in LA minis.

I'd definitely take other suggestions if anyone has any.
On second thought I think I'm going to run two large Lumenarcs in the middle with my 400's I already have. I'll put 2 VHO actinics and 2 overdriven B+ T5's and a normal driven aquablue T5 on either side.

I was thinking of switching to HQI ballasts to drive my bulbs since we now know they are HQI rated.

Anyone think this is too much?

Old 02/15/2007, 12:29 AM
El Jefe de WRS

You could do dual 250wattDEs on light movers, flanked by 4-8 54wattT5 bulbs. That would be my strategy.

4x4x2'h? Thats a favorite of mine.
Old 02/15/2007, 03:27 AM
Hawks Rule!

It's going to be in the living room, so I have to use a canopy. The last open top tank I tried in the living room was annoying from the halides. It seemed no matter where you sat, the halides would blind you.

I really wanted to go 4x4x2.5, but it just wasn't in the budget.

Old 02/15/2007, 08:50 AM
Registered Member

Sanjay, the results for the 12K Reeflux didnt make it in this months AA issue. Can you post them here or do we have to wait another month? Thanks.
Old 02/15/2007, 04:47 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Aquaticman74, Im putting my light mover in a canopy...
Old 02/15/2007, 04:57 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Deuce67
Sanjay, the results for the 12K Reeflux didnt make it in this months AA issue. Can you post them here or do we have to wait another month? Thanks.
It sucks that they did not put it into this months issue. Right now, I cannot post the numbers here since they already have the article.

I guess they must have had thier hands full with the new layout that they have been working on.

sanjay.