Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/23/2007, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Reefmack, ive never seen naked clowns in the store either. I've come across them online but never wanted to pay $50 to ship them. I drove across town today and went to AZSeabottom they had 2 sets of pairs and I couldn't resist a pair. If I didn't pick up these I was going to get a Fire Clown, but I wasn't sure about how aggressive they are.

On another note, I got an email from Idaho Aquaculter today they are having a big sale on Ricordea mushrooms $8.95 a polyp!! Now I need to find someone with a business license and get an order together! I think after the first of the year I am going to start my own business so I can get better deals on things! Create my own online store front, become an LLC and get some discounts!

Last edited by Y-DesygnGuy; 12/23/2007 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12/23/2007, 07:22 PM
Registered Member

if u want any help with starting out a buisness i would be interested!
Old 12/23/2007, 09:06 PM
Genuine reef addict

Cool idea on the online store, and great prices on the Rics! Floridas or Yumas? I'm guessing it's the Floridas.
Old 12/23/2007, 11:37 PM
Registered Member

Just cut 1/4 inch off the bottom of the skimmer and am anxiously awaiting skimmate.

Is the mesh mod something worth doing?

Is the new air valve worth purchasing?

Thanks,

Pat
Old 12/24/2007, 12:52 AM
Registered Member

Naked Clowns.....

Y-DesygnGuy

The two of them are simply beautiful!

Never seen anything like them!
I am betting they didn't come at a bargain basement price...

For a guy in your line of work... their color does WORK!

Regards,
Kent
Old 12/24/2007, 01:56 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Y-DesygnGuy
On another note, I got an email from Idaho Aquaculter today they are having a big sale on Ricordea mushrooms $8.95 a polyp!! Now I need to find someone with a business license and get an order together! I think after the first of the year I am going to start my own business so I can get better deals on things! Create my own online store front, become an LLC and get some discounts!
As well as filing a Schedule C and claiming business use of home expenses including your electric bill amongst other *cough* reef hobby *cough* expenses. In california, and maybe elsewhere, you can claim 5 consecutive yearly losses on your sole props taxes before you have to tell the IRS you suck at what you do and close up shop. Great way to to lower your income and get hit with less taxes...unless of course you are profitable!
Old 12/24/2007, 09:05 AM
Registered Member

stephensturman -- I'll let ya know how things go after the first of the year.

Reefmack -- I believe they are for Florida Ricordea's, $8.95 is a pretty awesome deal!

NaCl+H2O Fish -- Thank you very much! They were $50 a piece, pretty much the same price I have seen them online for, I just didn't have to pay to ship them. I think they are from "ORA" http://www.orafarm.com/clownfish_species.html and yeah I am kinda of weird about things matching and fitting into the over scheme of things. I think it is the line of work I do, everything has to align, coordinate etc sometimes I drive myself crazy!

Titans -- Yeah taking a loss would be great if I could off set it with the graphics business which is going to put me into a really crappy tax bracket this next year! I am going to see my account after the first, I am sure he is going to love me for this one!
Old 12/24/2007, 09:15 AM
Genuine reef addict

Y-DesygnGuy - 8.95 is a great price for floridas. There sure are a lot of clownfish types, and color morphs! The Picassos are pretty sharp looking too.
Old 12/24/2007, 09:31 AM
Registered Member

has anyone heard anything about this light?

http://cgi.ebay.com/VHO-24-380W-Meta...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 12/24/2007, 09:31 AM
Registered Member

Reefmack -- Yeah I am wanting to get at least another 10-15 rics. Hopefully myself and a few other local people here can pull it off. Here is the web address to the Idaho place www.idahoaquaculture.net

Yeah I thought about the Picassos clowns but they are much more $$$$ than the naked ones. The ORA stuff is always supper nice, but also supper spendy! That and I don't think I have ever really seen anyone with naked clowns. I was really wanting to only put rare and exotic things in the tank. That is why the tank isn't full of corals already, I am having to exercise my patients!
Old 12/24/2007, 09:35 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stephensturman
has anyone heard anything about this light?

http://cgi.ebay.com/VHO-24-380W-Meta...QQcmdZViewItem
Nope never heard of those, but thats a nice price for a 250 MH system. I have been thinking about shipping my canopy off to NanoTuners for the MH upgrade, I go back and forth with that idea. I really want to keep the stock look of the tank, I really want to keep the lid on the tank. I spent hours last night looking at all the different lighting options. The guy across the street from me has his own cabinet making business, I know I could get him to make a nice canopy for the RSM. But it would never look the same as it does with the stock hood...
Old 12/24/2007, 09:37 AM
Registered Member

reefmack- can i see some pictures of ur setup with the light? there isn't any on rsmreefers.com. thanks
Old 12/24/2007, 09:50 AM
Registered Member

ROFL

Ok I bought that MH fixture you linked stephan, I'll let ya know if it fits nicely or works etc. I couldn't pass it up for that price, if it blows then I will turn around and sell it for whatever I can.

So much for patients huh
Old 12/24/2007, 09:57 AM
Registered Member

hahahahaha! thats great please let me know because im going to be getting it next week lol! also make sure u order an extra fan to clamp onto the back of your tank so u dont get heat issues!
Old 12/24/2007, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

i hope they have more when im ready to buy lol!
Old 12/24/2007, 10:06 AM
Registered Member

Yeah I hope they have one for you as well, I apologize if I snagged it from you. I have an extra fan that the RSM came with so I will see how that works. I still am not thrilled about the no lid thing. I have 2 fish that will jump out!! So before I get to the point of installing it I will be looking into covering the top some how. Weeee fun another project!!
Old 12/24/2007, 10:13 AM
Registered Member

merry x-mas i think u guys will like this one. lol

http://www.break.com/index/achmed-si...mas-songs.html
Old 12/24/2007, 10:15 AM
Registered Member

y-desygnguy ~ most fish wont jump so i wouldn't worrie about it!
Old 12/24/2007, 10:23 AM
Professional Obfuscator

I see the boys have been busy with their mods again...lol...it's like having a car in your living room!

I on the other hand, have been given a Christmas surprise! Ready? Ready for it?

My anemone SPLIT!!!

I HOPE it's not due to the trauma of getting stuck in the intake...
Old 12/24/2007, 10:24 AM
Registered Member

congrats rue!
Old 12/24/2007, 10:32 AM
Professional Obfuscator

Thanks! lol...but what do I do now? I have no room for 2...
Old 12/24/2007, 10:42 AM
Registered Member

stephensturman -- The firefish will jump out for sure as well as the watchman if he has a chance. But after reading the specs again on that fixture its going to cover the entire width of the tank. So maybe I only need a small piece of plexy or something to cover the edges with. Looks like towards the end of the week I will have a nice little project. The next Frag meeting is in a few months I am looking forward to some nice SPS's if this fixture is worth a $hit.

Rue -- Way to go that is a nice surprise im sure! Yes hopefully it isn't due to the trama.
Old 12/24/2007, 10:52 AM
Registered Member

Is the mesh mod something worth doing?

Is the new air valve worth purchasing?

Thanks
Old 12/24/2007, 10:54 AM
Premium Member

Trade it

Marty
Old 12/24/2007, 12:26 PM
Excuse My French...

Cutting the bottom of the skimmer

I am quite happy to see that the skimmer mod I suggested a long time ago (but was unable to make) seems to be working.

Is it still working after a few days?

The mod should reduce the size of the skimmer output section, therefore reducing the output flow, therefore reducing the micro-bubbles.

Is this also true in reality?

I am such a bad "handyman" that I fear destroying my skimmer by trying this mod... But I really want to try this one...

Do you think that Red Sea would provide a replacement body?

If anyone has a spare skimmer body they want to get rid of, because they opted to replace the stock skimmer, please PM me...

Thanks!