Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/22/2007, 04:32 PM
Registered Member

Hey everybody. I got a CS250 when marinedepot cleared them out, and it's soon to go on a 150 gallon tank. I've just ordered a gate valve mod, and I was wondering what else I could do to it in order to get the most out of it. I bought it on 8/4/06, so it has to old needlewheel and gen-x pump. Is the new needlewheel worth the extra $50 (i called euro-reef about upgrading, but they never returned my call even though their message assured me I would hear from them)?

Anyways, I'm concerned of noise too, so I'll take suggestions. Here is a pic of it in a 50 gallon sump that I built for the tank, which is currently curing some rock.

The red house. Click it!!
Old 02/22/2007, 07:03 PM
Generic Member

If that is the Gen-X 6000 pump, get the new impeller. It makes a big difference. Gate Valve is a nice addition too. Run it with the airtap removed.
Old 02/22/2007, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

why remove the airtap?
Old 02/22/2007, 08:57 PM
Generic Member

Even wide open, it restricts the airflow on the SP5 (with the new impeller).
Old 02/22/2007, 10:32 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the response ,Lunchbucket. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.
The problem I'm having is that thepump seams to be producing less of the smaller bubbles, even after a recent cleaning. It seams like the air intake is clogging or something. If I submerge the the air tube in the water for a little while then pull it out and turn the pump back on it works a little better for a day and then the cloud of smaller bubbles is seen as a definate line up at the middle of the neck of the skimmer as opposed to almost fully filling the body of the skimmer. I hope this makes any sense.
Old 02/22/2007, 10:45 PM
NaCL-H20 REEFER EXPERT

I have a question aboutthe CS250 I converted it to a RC 250 feeding it with a hagen 800 (400 GPH) .

I have the dual SP 3's on the tank now and was wonderign if I should do the mesh wheel or upgrade to the sp5 dual or just have dual sp5's
Old 02/22/2007, 10:48 PM
Generic Member

A single SP5 has more LPH than dual SP3s. Dual SP5s would be way too much for that body.
Old 02/23/2007, 01:25 AM
Registered Member

I have a EuroReef 8-1 skimmer. I'm thinking of doing the gate valve mod. What size plumbing and valve will i need? Thanks for the help!!
Old 02/23/2007, 04:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sjm817
Even wide open, it restricts the airflow on the SP5 (with the new impeller).
Well I emailed EuroReef today, explained a little of my struggles to get in touch with them after leaving a few phone messages, and they called me right back. They are sending out the new impeller at no charge, and so I'm back to being very happy with my decision to give them my business.

Question, though. Will the new impeller mean more noise? What is the consesus on that?

The red house. Click it!!
Old 02/23/2007, 05:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BBCoach4
I have a EuroReef 8-1 skimmer. I'm thinking of doing the gate valve mod. What size plumbing and valve will i need? Thanks for the help!!
I think that you need 1 1/2" pipe and valve. Measure your riser tube. You'll love the gate valve mod!
Old 02/23/2007, 05:18 PM
Generic Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crvz
Well I emailed EuroReef today, explained a little of my struggles to get in touch with them after leaving a few phone messages, and they called me right back. They are sending out the new impeller at no charge, and so I'm back to being very happy with my decision to give them my business.

Question, though. Will the new impeller mean more noise? What is the consesus on that?
People complain of ERs support, but I have had good luck with them. They are sending you a free upgrade? Now that is something you dont see very often.

Noise wise, the pump will be a little louder, but since it will be drawing in a lot more air, you will really hear that. You can build an airline silencer for it it cure that.
Old 02/24/2007, 05:09 PM
High Plains Drifter

I posted a new thread with this info, just incase it goes off topic. But I thought I'd throw these pics up in the "ER achive" for those interested.

Was a little bored today, so I went out to my Stepdad's shop.

I plopped this cup on the drill press and cut a hole. Then I tapped the hole and screwed in a street 90.

I used all 1/2" fittings.

This is a great mod, and not that difficult if you have the right tools.

Jim
Old 02/26/2007, 03:39 PM
Registered Member

Put the Gate Valve Mod on my ER 8-1 this weekend. Man, it really makes the skimmer perform nice!! I HIGHLY suggest everyone to do it to their skimmer....you won't be dissapointed. Thanks to all for the help!! Now, can anyone give me any tips to help make the collection cup easier to remove when I need to dump it? Sometimes I have to take apart the whole thing in my sump just to remove it. Am i putting it on too tight?
Old 02/26/2007, 03:39 PM
Registered Member

Put the Gate Valve Mod on my ER 8-1 this weekend. Man, it really makes the skimmer perform nice!! I HIGHLY suggest everyone to do it to their skimmer....you won't be dissapointed. Thanks to all for the help!! Now, can anyone give me any tips to help make the collection cup easier to remove when I need to dump it? Sometimes I have to take apart the whole thing in my sump just to remove it. Am I putting it on too tight?
Old 02/26/2007, 06:34 PM
#1 Acro Crab Killah

Location: Boca Raton or Tallahassee - Florida State University
BB-

You shouldn't need to tighten it that much. Mine is very loosly sitting in my sump, and it's raised on eggcrate too, so I need to keep the union loose. I figure that as long as it isn't leaking, then I don't need to worry about tightening it more.
Old 02/26/2007, 09:31 PM
Premium Member

A bit of silicone lube on the rubber O ring will help seal the union and make it so it doesn't need to be tightened so much.
Old 02/26/2007, 09:49 PM
Registered Member

I have a RC500 in my sump, it is sitting in 14" of water - should I raise it??
Old 02/26/2007, 09:59 PM
Generic Member

Water depth on an RC skimmer doesn't matter.

On the collection cups, dont put them on too tight. Just "snug" so they dont leak will make them easier to remove.
Old 02/26/2007, 10:00 PM
High Plains Drifter

Sump water level doesn't affect RC skimmers becuase they don't draw water directly from the sump

HTH

Jim
Old 02/26/2007, 10:00 PM
NaCL-H20 REEFER EXPERT

OMG what a waste of a Rc model take it out of the sump

JK
Old 02/26/2007, 10:03 PM
Generic Member

I dont think its the worst thing to have an RC in sump. If it decides to go crazy and overflow, it goes back in the sump instead of on the floor.
Old 02/26/2007, 10:51 PM
High Plains Drifter

Yeah, my LFS runs a couple of their RC1000's insump. If they overflow, it's no big deal.

But with that said, I preffer to run my skimmer externally.
Old 02/27/2007, 12:28 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IZZY'SREEF
Thanks for the response ,Lunchbucket. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.
The problem I'm having is that thepump seams to be producing less of the smaller bubbles, even after a recent cleaning. It seams like the air intake is clogging or something. If I submerge the the air tube in the water for a little while then pull it out and turn the pump back on it works a little better for a day and then the cloud of smaller bubbles is seen as a definate line up at the middle of the neck of the skimmer as opposed to almost fully filling the body of the skimmer. I hope this makes any sense.
When you say you let it suck in some water to clear out the venturi, do you mean tank water or RO/DI water? If you're using satwater, the salt will clog the venturi back up after the water dries out down there. If you're using RO/DI water, though, and still having this problem, then I don't know what to tell you. Perhaps try to figure out what's getting in there and causing the obstruction and then find out how you can keep it from getting sucked in there and accumulating? Maybe that'll help.

-Joe
Old 02/27/2007, 07:23 AM
Registered Member

Hi Guys:

I really don't want to bother you, but I understand that there is a way to improve my skimmer, talking about the pump. I have a ES5-3, I think that the pump is a sedra 3500.

I will apreciate your help,

Carlos Salas
Old 02/27/2007, 10:20 AM
Registered Member

I have the same skimmer, and just put the Gate-valve modification on it (dyi for $20). It gives better control over the amount of skimmate. You can also modify the impeller to a mesh-mod for improved bubbles, or buy the "new and improved" ER impeller for around $50. ER does not recommend getting the sedra 5000 pump (next size up) as it is too much for the skimmer body, though you could do a recirculation modification and add a second pump.