Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Delaware Reef Club (DRC)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/24/2006, 09:59 AM
Team RC Member

the column between the family room and kitchen is a load bearing support.

also if you don't have water in those tubs yet turn the cinder blocks a quarter turn so the holes are up and down. they are at least 4x stronger that way and that's the way they are designed to go

------------------------------------------------
Old 12/24/2006, 04:27 PM
Registered Member

No problem Russell queen.... I like the cascading tubs, can you explain what each one is or what they are doing... I assume is in a Fresh Tub, next one down maybe a mixing tub, and the third one im not sure if its your fuge or?
Old 12/24/2006, 04:45 PM
Premium Member

If you are in need of extra support don't just calculate the load of the tank ! With the living room and kitchen together like that you need to factor in Family And Friends when having big party`s . Overkill wont kill you !
Old 12/25/2006, 02:35 PM
Registered Member

mbbuna,
I thought that support may be load bearing, but think there is a steel or heavy wood beam in the middle of the plastic. I am planning to cut away the white column to be able to finish the smaller support in with the finished product.
As for the cinder blocks, I realize the increased load bearing of turning the blocks, but they were much less stable on end. I figure that they will be able to hold 130G of water no problem on their sides?? Thoughts.

Shnabbles,

All of the tubs will be for 'Tank overflow water' first going into the top then down and so-on. I am going to do a DSB in the middle one and a fuge somewhere, have not figured that one out yet. The fresh and new salt water will be in two large 165 gallon white tanks as seen in a picture that I will post later.

CASHCRZZY
I have two 12,000 lb steel support beams that I am going to put under the tank one on each side to cut the span to 8 ft instead of 16 feet. The floor beams run with the length of the tank.
Again, I will post some pictures with that visualized.

Thanks for the imput.

RUSS
Old 12/25/2006, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

here is a picture of one of the water tanks. the trash can for size.

Old 12/25/2006, 03:45 PM
Team RC Member

i dont mean stand them on end. keep then horizontal but so the holes go up and down

Old 12/25/2006, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

my mistake on my wording. We meant the same thing. For whatever reason the blocks were much more wobbly when the holes were up. I do not want to fill them with concrete nor did I want to use mortar, so I decided to go that way.

Do you agree that the blocks will support 130 gallons as they are situated, or should I change them and use mortar??

Thanks
RUSS
Old 12/26/2006, 02:41 PM
Registered Member

1100-1200 pounds of water per tub comes to 300 pounds per stack of block. that's about one eagles line backer standing on each stack. I think they can hold that. Just as long as that top tub is stable and not tippy way up there. the way you angled the stacks a little helps stability but the tubs slope outward and have weight outside the perimeter of the blocks. that makes it a little more tippy on the tall stack.
Old 12/27/2006, 06:25 PM
Registered Member

HOLY F those are big tanks... are you going to need a pump to send the fresh water into the system?

Iv been thinking of doing some kind of gravity fed plan.
Old 12/27/2006, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

snabbles, go back to some of logandsdaddy's threads on the system he is setting up. he has a gravity feed rack of barrels for makeup and water change mix water. I don't know if he is done yet. i think he got temporarily delayed with work and stuff. but it was going to save him some pumping and floor space. nice idea.

yup, salt water is heavy. 8.56 pounds per gallon. boy, i wish i had a basement for a sump room or tank room. all my stuff is in the dining room and kitchen. If i didnt have so many shade trees in the yard i would be temped to build a green house like Doctor Macs. only smaller. It will have to wait for the next house. I wasn't even thinking about tanks yet when i bought this rancher. next one will be better.
Old 12/27/2006, 09:38 PM
Registered Member

Shnabbles
I am going to have a pump setup for saltwater changes with a switch valve setup to pump water out of the system and be replaced by fresh mixed saltwater that will be in one of the big white 165 gallon tubs. The other white tub will be for RO water. It will all be pump driven with no buckets to carry, but I have not drawn out the pump layout yet to be driven off of one pump.

Any thoughts??
Old 12/27/2006, 10:14 PM
Registered Member

I may of missunderstood you but you probally dont need a pump to pump water out of the system.. Couldnt you just put a "T" in one of your drain lines and run it over to wherever you plan on disposing of your waster water?
Old 12/28/2006, 09:20 AM
Registered Member

Good thought!!

I have a utility sink with a pump on it that I will be placing down in the area so I can probably incorporate that in to the plan.

Good thought. Any reduction in the power usage would be great!!
Old 01/04/2007, 09:32 AM
Registered Member

Well, I took out the column after looking at where it attaches. There was no load bearing properties about the thing. It was not even contacting at the top, but reather was heled with 4 small brackets. The thing is hollow inside and I cut it in half with a sawsall.

I ordered a chiller from reefexotics. A pacificoast 1 hp 220V unit.

ANy thoughts on a controller for chiller/ heater???

Next friday is the delivery day for the tank and stand. Cannot wait!!!

The tile guys are finishing the kitchen tomorrow, and I will need to start moving the 90 G next week before the big momma is delivered.

RUSS
Old 01/04/2007, 09:44 AM
Registered Member

Nice sounds like its all coming together nicely...

Im starting to plan moving my tank we move in alittle over 3 weeks i think... Then i can start my 265 build.. What were your dimmensions again?
Old 01/04/2007, 12:08 PM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Well, I took out the column after looking at where it attaches. There was no load bearing properties about the thing. It was not even contacting at the top, but reather was heled with 4 small brackets. The thing is hollow inside and I cut it in half with a sawsall.
did you cut away any of the drywall in the ceiling and look at how the beam is run?

what is above there?

Old 01/04/2007, 03:29 PM
Registered Member

There were a grouping of 2x4's together, but where the column was placed it was not supporting the beams.
Old 01/09/2007, 05:21 PM
Registered Member

Some updates

Here is a picture of the column, and what was above it. Again, it had no direct contact with the headers.

Here is a Picture of the new Sub Panel

And the dual 1000W heaters that came today from Jhemco

Starting to make some skim

Well, the tank will officially be here friday. Have to take down that 3 foot wall and move the 90G before it gets here.

I also ordered a Nilsen reactor from MRC and a spectrapure topoff and dosing pump. $$$ is adding up.
Old 01/09/2007, 05:29 PM
Registered Member

Looking good man, did you need 2 1,000 watt heaters or do you have 2 for backup?
Old 01/09/2007, 05:46 PM
Registered Member

I HAVE A TANK THAT SIZE 105x40x30 I'M USING 1000W HALIDES
SUMPS I ORDER FROM A PLASTICS CO 2, 80GAL SUMPS & I'M USING A 55 GAL TANK FOR A REFUGIUM ,I HAVE
A BLUELINE 100RTL PRESSURE PUMP ANYTHING OVER LIKE 400GAL
SHOULD USE A PREASSURE RATE PUMP, THEY JUST USE LIL MORE POWER THAN NORMAL PUMPS. SKIMMER I HAVENT DECIDED YET
PROB PRESICION MARINE SINGLE INJECTOR UNDER THE TANK DONT WANT ANY EQUIPT TO BE SHOWING. IF U WANT ANY SUGGT'S LET US KNOW.
Old 01/09/2007, 10:58 PM
Registered Member

I will have both heaters on the controller to cover the volume of water, almost 900 G total volume with sumps and all.
Old 01/12/2007, 08:40 PM
Registered Member

Tank Delivered!!!

Got a little nervous when I saw that they were going to use that little cart for my baby, but it went off withour a hitch

here is my brother in law with the stand

the area of interest all ready to go

Stand in place

Now the fun begins!!

Finally in Place

Old 01/12/2007, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

HOLY F!

Very nice looking that thing is HUGE!
Old 01/13/2007, 05:47 PM
reef obsessed

That's tight! Nice job.
Old 01/13/2007, 07:01 PM
Registered Member

Very nice photo sequence Russ. That tank is very LARGE!! I'm Sure glad you had a profesional crew set it in place. It's going to be a wonderful center piece.