Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/25/2006, 11:29 PM

Dispars - my experience:

I bought 3...

One was found on the center brace after it jumped

The second was found dead suddenly (in the tank) with its mouth gaping - my guess is that it jumped and either hit something hard(like the lights) or plopped itself off the center brace after it was too late (maybe overheated fronm the lights)

The third I still have, it remains female - & is kept in line by a large male Cooper's anthias.

So long, & thanks for all the fish!
Old 11/26/2006, 03:21 AM
Registered Member

Gary,

that really surprises me - I would have not expected that.

A fellow of mine just placed 16 dispar in a 330 g tank which is open on 3 sides. The fish are in now for 10 days. So I can forward the experience soon. PM me please if I forget to come back on this

Peter
Old 11/26/2006, 07:39 AM
yes it's my aquarium

Peter- I'm surprised too, and it seems that my experience is not an isolated incident because I'm hearing from others that have had the same thing happen. Like Marie kindly posted, it seems that Bartlett's are prone to jump on top of a cross brace and get stuck there. Apparently, they don't flop around very much once they land on something dry.
Old 11/26/2006, 07:43 AM
B'rer Reefer

I'm surprised as well. Check the other fish for signs of 'ich' though. Except for harrassment, the only other event that ever caused any of my Bartletts to jump was an ich infestation as they try to rid themselves of the parasite.
Old 11/26/2006, 07:58 AM
yes it's my aquarium

No crypto here. No aggressive fishes, either. Nothing bothered them in my particular case. I think your aquarium top is enclosed, Michael. Mine is totally open- the light hood is suspended and it's a clear shot down to the shag.
Old 11/26/2006, 10:21 AM
Premium Member

If I remember correctly, your tank is kinda out in the open too, right? In the middle of a common room? To be honest, I'm guessing it mightve been spooked by a movement in the room. Whether it be a light turning on, or something insignificant to us, who knows what scares a fish?
Old 11/26/2006, 10:50 AM
My reef is my fix :-D

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Majchrzak
My final Bartlett's jumped today.
More needs to be mentioned in references about their penchant for jumping. Live and learn.

I wonder if Dispar are jumpers.......
Sorry Gary, that sucks. One of the worst ways to find your fish, IMO.

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 11/26/2006, 12:33 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Quote:
Originally posted by jmaneyapanda
If I remember correctly, your tank is kinda out in the open too, right? In the middle of a common room? To be honest, I'm guessing it mightve been spooked by a movement in the room. Whether it be a light turning on, or something insignificant to us, who knows what scares a fish?
True, but I wouldn't classify Bartlett's as easily spooked. They were definitely accustomed to my aquarium photoperiod and nobody was home when the two of mine jumped. Heck, I've kept several types of Anthias and even Cirrhilabrus wrasses in open top aquariums without one ever carpet surfing. This is a big disappointment for me. I suspect the jumpings coincided with a feeding frenzy, but I'll never know for sure.
Old 11/26/2006, 01:31 PM
Premium Member

I dont know. Ive seen fish spooked for ridiculous reasons (I think). My tank is acroos the room form a TV, and I was watching it once, and when the screen changed on the TV, my lineatus wrasse blasted into the glass top. I am speculating it was from the tv, but, c'mon, that's a pretty unusual way to spook a fish. No other fish near him, no other stimulus from what I could tell. I guess my point is we dont know what spooks them. With anthias, I especially think they are erratic in behaviors from spooking. Looking at the fish on the reef, they rather occupy the water column, but when a predator quickly shows up, the whole group darts erratically. Safe on the reef, because they aren't gonna land anywhere but in water, but in our tanks, not so much.

But, of course, I am just spitballing.
Old 11/26/2006, 01:49 PM

Just my theory -

What I observed with my dipars is that the first one that jumped, while female, was a male-wanna-be and was always challenging the reigning male -maybe one of these contests resulted in the fatal jump

The second fish to die, the dominant male, was always challenging the Cooper's anthias & died due to what I believe was a jumping accident

The one I still have, the remaining female dispar, is harassed by the Cooper's but always acquiesces --- possibly reducing the chances for this boisterousness resulting in the "need" to jump. (Knock on wood )

My tank is only 20 inches deep with a 5 inch DSB, maybe a little more depth would help....

Also I think Jimaneyapanda makes a good point-
FWIW - I saw my cat spook a jawfish into jumping once.

Old 11/27/2006, 08:46 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Majchrzak
Heck, I've kept several types of Anthias and even Cirrhilabrus wrasses in open top aquariums without one ever carpet surfing.
Gary,

as Cirrhilabrus are in my main tank currently THE jumpers I am even more surprised the the Anthias jumped. I would therefore also assume that courtship or dominance fights might be the reason for the jumping.

I keep 3 harem groups of different Cirrhilabrus species and while interacting they regulary jump .... luckly the "sky" is almost completly covered with lamps and I have a small frame around the tank.

Peter
Old 11/27/2006, 10:58 AM
Registered Member

I had 6 in a 100gal tank, It is an open top but never had any jump. I got all females, but in about a year and a half I had 5 males and 1 female, there was constant bickering but none got killed. Unfortunatly I had an accident and lost all six.
Old 12/09/2006, 09:15 PM
yes it's my aquarium

carpet surfers no more!
Old 12/10/2006, 12:42 PM

Wow, you ain't kiddin' around So what do you plan to get now? I saw that LiveAquaria had randall's anthias in stock

Last edited by SDguy; 12/10/2006 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12/10/2006, 03:56 PM
yes it's my aquarium

I've got to rethink my stocking plans. I've always wanted certain wrasses that are notorious jumpers. Do Paracheilinus and Cirrhilabrus get along well with Anthias?
Old 12/10/2006, 05:42 PM

My flashers and lubbocks pay no attention to my anthias, and vice versa.

Old 12/10/2006, 05:58 PM
Premium Member

I currently have a square anthia and a male lineatus wrasse which have this little comedic act they go through. The square anthia is quite mellow and just "glides" around the water column, whereas the lineatus is on fish crack (it seems). Darting here and there, and racing up and down. Well, periodically the wrasse will flash to the anthia back and forth and up and down, but the anthia just sits there, like "how dumb are you, I'm not a wrasse". Not fighting or battling or anything, just the display. makes me laugh.
Old 12/10/2006, 07:27 PM

Quote:
but the anthia just sits there, like "how dumb are you, I'm not a wrasse".
lol That's hilarious!

Old 12/10/2006, 07:37 PM

Quote:
but the anthia just sits there, like "how dumb are you, I'm not a wrasse".
haha...anthias look like they think they're better than the other fish with that pointed upturned snout. This just proves it...

Old 12/11/2006, 08:40 AM
Premium Member

By the way, what is the singular of anthias? Is it "anthia", or is a single one still called an "anthias"? I laid awake all night trying to figure that out.
Old 12/11/2006, 09:36 AM

I just pronounce it differently.

Plural: antheeaaz

Single: Antheeus

LOL, is that right?

Old 12/11/2006, 04:49 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Quote:
By the way, what is the singular of anthias? Is it "anthia", or is a single one still called an "anthias"? I laid awake all night trying to figure that out.
The singular of Anthias is Anthias.
Old 12/11/2006, 05:57 PM
Premium Member

thank you. now i can sleep.
Old 12/11/2006, 08:16 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Quote:
thank you. now i can sleep.
Until you dream about the singular of Chromis!