Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/13/2005, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

mel077reef, I like your idea about painting the bottom white. I was thinking of doing that becasue I dont like the look of BB tanks, just to unnatural. I think its alot better as well than having a light sand bed. After reading this thread I am seriously considering BB in my 55. I am sure it will lower my phosphate levels. Thanks for all the good info,

Brad
Old 04/13/2005, 04:34 PM
Recovering Addict

Quote:
Did you do anything to provide a food source for the LR as it cooked that long to keep the bacteria going other than water changes as it cooked? Did it process nitrogen like healthy LR right off the bat when you first put it in the tank or did it take a while to build up it's capacity? I'm asking because I've been cooking mine for 6 months now and am nervous about turning it into former LR by "overcooking".
NOTHING. Water changes were the only thing I did. As far as processing power, I was recovering from a 99% wipe out and I did not have many corals when I restarted the system. I cautiously began stocking the system. At least that was what my wallet was saying.
Old 04/13/2005, 06:24 PM
10 & Over Club

Ha! You listen to your wallet!

........and you call yourself a reefer

Old 04/13/2005, 06:26 PM
Registered Member

Agree Bomber, if my wife really knew what this hobby cost......well i may not have a wife.
Old 04/13/2005, 07:39 PM
Registered Member

? on rock stacking

It has to be alot harder to aquascape on BB. I don't want to create a pile of rocks that would lead to dead spots. Any suggestions?

Brad
Old 04/13/2005, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by edwar050
mel077reef, I like your idea about painting the bottom white. I was thinking of doing that becasue I dont like the look of BB tanks, just to unnatural. I think its alot better as well than having a light sand bed. After reading this thread I am seriously considering BB in my 55. I am sure it will lower my phosphate levels. Thanks for all the good info,

Brad
Your welcome! I think as a hobbyist we should all share what we learn.
Old 04/13/2005, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

Re: ? on rock stacking

Quote:
Originally posted by edwar050
It has to be alot harder to aquascape on BB. I don't want to create a pile of rocks that would lead to dead spots. Any suggestions?

Brad
Not really I can what I did to mine is put a pile of rocks in the middle and placed corals around it so there is no dead spot as long as you have some type of power heads like Zeios or Streams in 4 corners you should be okay.
Old 04/13/2005, 08:56 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cidory
Agree Bomber, if my wife really knew what this hobby cost......well i may not have a wife.
this is too familiar with most reefers I know it is the wife who is not happy with this hobby, maybe If we are not into reefs maybe we end up in a different hobby.......different exotics....lols
Old 04/13/2005, 09:13 PM
Recovering Addict

Quote:
this is too familiar with most reefers I know it is the wife who is not happy with this hobby, maybe If we are not into reefs maybe we end up in a different hobby.......different exotics....lols
My other hobby is home theater, between SPS and accoustic paneling I am constantly broke.

Have you ever watched a NBA/NFL game on a 10 foot diagonal screen in HDTV? Just as cool as finding a few nice SPS frags.

www.avsforum.com
Old 04/13/2005, 09:19 PM
RockStar

Quote:
Originally posted by mel077reef
hahahaha...The only reason my wife still leave me in this hobby it's cause I also buy her "stuff".

Even tough I try to make my coral orders as "discreete" as possible, she ALWAYS finds out.. "That's a nice "blue one" you have in there honey, is it new???"
Old 04/13/2005, 09:22 PM
RockStar

Quote:
Originally posted by ridetheducati
My other hobby is home theater, between SPS and accoustic paneling I am constantly broke.

Have you ever watched a NBA/NFL game on a 10 foot diagonal screen in HDTV? Just as cool as finding a few nice SPS frags.

www.avsforum.com
Heya ride, I post in there too!!
imo,That's the best video/audio website, excellent people...
Sound and video are another "obssessions" I have...
Old 04/13/2005, 09:47 PM
Calvinist

asking the right questions

"well im considering going bare bottom. What are the main reasons for doing so?

-Mike"

Mike, no offense, [as we want to help you out] but the move to bare bottom is not a join on the bandwagon one. NOW, I highly reccomend it!.. BUT you kind of need to have the reason and understanding of what you are doing drive you when you go. Otherwise, you will be setting yourself up for a BB disaster.. The whole purpose of BB is to reduce settling nutrients.. and to get them out of the tank ASAP. it is NOT a looks sweet move, though many people like it .... so the pros are all based off the primary goal.. no place for crap to settle. and then all the items you do are also in parallel with that [high flow, heavy skimming, lots o snails, siphoning crap out, etc.]

So instead of saying .. "I want to Drive, Why does anyone drive a car??" how about say "i want to go to California, Teach me how to drive there."

Makes sense?
good luck looking into it.
Old 04/13/2005, 10:52 PM
Registered Member

You BB freaks have got me thinking and this would be the best time for me to act because I am currently cooking my rock and my SPS are hanging out in my tank on top of the sand. The problem is I like Jawfish and they need substrate to do their thing. I am also curious what the nitrate levels are in some of those tanks with a BB? I thought one of the reasons for a DSB was for Nitrate removal? What about all the fauna that is created in the sand to feed corals?
Old 04/13/2005, 11:16 PM
Calvinist

I like several wrasses that are out .. I also liek pistol shrimp.

some things are worth the sacrifice though.. I will get over them like i have gotten over not having an eel in my tank
Old 04/14/2005, 06:12 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

Have you ever watched a NBA/NFL game on a 10 foot diagonal screen in HDTV? Just as cool as finding a few nice SPS frags
Lol........I thought I was the only one. It's just like reefing too..... you constantly want a larger screen/tank. Large screen HDTV & AVS forum are awesome. I'm at 9 feet with my BENQ 8700.
Old 04/14/2005, 07:26 AM
10 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally posted by Bomber
Ha! You listen to your wallet!
a real reefer would be listening to their loan officer at the bank
Old 04/14/2005, 09:36 AM
Premium Member

Another AVS guy here... Bare-bottom to boot... the tank that is...
Old 04/14/2005, 03:18 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Lol........I thought I was the only one. It's just like reefing too..... you constantly want a larger screen/tank. Large screen HDTV & AVS forum are awesome. I'm at 9 feet with my BENQ 8700.
Add another to the list. I'm at 8 1/2 feet with a Sanyo Z3. Reading up on BB as possibility for my new in-wall tank.
Old 04/14/2005, 05:17 PM
Registered Member

I've always liked having a shallow sand bed, but just this weekend I upgraded to a 180 and I haven't added sand yet. I'm starting to notice how clean everything is and all the flow I'm getting under the rock, it's making me think about not putting sand back in. But I really really really want 3-4 carpenter wrasses, and i love gobies......

Marine Biologist in training

AIM: Evnt4life WAMAS Member
Old 04/14/2005, 08:21 PM
Recovering Addict

Get the sand for the gobies.

I am running the Z2.
Old 04/14/2005, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

My yellow top wrasse, solorensis wrasse, lineatus wrasse, cleaner wrasse, yellow coris wrasse, or yellow watchman goby don't complain.
Old 04/15/2005, 08:59 AM
Registered Member

really hmoore? Those are all sand loving creatures. What about scooter dragonets, mine sleeps in the sand, I would hate to see him deprived.

Marine Biologist in training

AIM: Evnt4life WAMAS Member
Old 04/15/2005, 10:41 AM
Registered Member

I don't have any dragonets. I don't know if a mandarin/scooter would get enough nutrition rummaging through my rocks (not a lot of rockwork) as the wrasses are very active at picking through the rocks themselves.
Old 04/16/2005, 11:23 PM
Premium Member

I picked sand color (light tan) for my starboard. Any reason that makes that a bad idea?

Does it matter, since it gets covered in coralline algae anyway?

Life is too short to learn everything from experience.
Old 04/17/2005, 12:58 AM
*MySpiderSenseIsTingling*

hi fellow reefers, im setting up a 100,gallon BB reef ready acrylic tank because i had a bad experience with a 58 gallon i had with a really deep bed that was in there? wiped everything out! i just stocked my 100 gallon with uncured premium fiji live rock. im waiting for it to cure, and i also have a really nice euro reef skimmer taking care of all that gunk stuff coming out of the live rock. i just can hardly wait till it cures so i can have fun this time without worrying about a dsb crash! "what a relief".