Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Are we out of line
Yes, and it does bother me 11 18.03%
Yes, and no it doesn't bother me 19 31.15%
No 24 39.34%
Maybe 7 11.48%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02/10/2005, 06:41 PM
Premium Member

Well I will say this, I agree that sometimes things are said that are border line. But as someone who works with kids between the ages of 13-18 I have some news for you. I consider myself slightly depraved and up to date on things, but a 13 year old will often know dirty words, and such than I.
I talked to a freshman class the other day and some of the things they said I had to look up on the internet to see what they meant. Oh and when I tried to look them up on my school computer they were blocked by the schools filters, so that should tell you. I don't think that the occasional Woody thread or anything similar is going to teach our children something they don't already know.
Now if the lounge were to take a turn and just go down hill, I for one would tell someone and have it fixed. But if things stay as they are I think we are good to go.
I only wish that we could have some kind of pop-up banner for when you first come in the lounge that tells you that you need thick skin and you will be made fun of while in the lounge.

I apoligize for my many spelling errors, I am but a free member with no spell checker.
Old 02/10/2005, 06:43 PM
Premium Member

Oh one other thing, if you posted that you were offended please say why. If I offend someone I want to know. I will do everything in my power not to offend anyone, regardless of wheather or not I agree that what I said was wrong.
Old 02/10/2005, 06:57 PM
Moved On

bad stuff

Quote:
Originally posted by Fat Man
I think this hits the nail on the head. I' don't let my children, ages 4 and 6, watch Sponge Bob or most of what is on TV. They are also too young to to even get on this site much less understand a lot of are stuff that goes on here. There are however quite a few highschool students, and some that seem younger that visit here. I have to think would I want my kids reading this stuff when they're older. Some times I would have to say no, this includes some of my own posts.

Threads like this are one way we can police ourselves. I glad it got started. I try to do better myself.

I stand here before you and say My name is Fat Man and I am a postaholic. Is there a twelve step program?
The funny part is if kids want to they can go places....just by typing in "whatever".........and they are in places that do not use inuends I do not believe RC is that place.

I agree with policing......but you teach them right and wrong along with respect for others(they can learn this very early) and themselves. Live what you say so they see it. I always found it stupid.....my old man would say "don't smoke boy"......while he lit up....."don't drink"......while he poured himself and my mother a drink. When I became of age and said..."i'm meeting some friends at the watering hole for a drink"........he went off. I walked over to the cabinet handed him his 1/2 gl bottle of scotch and said "Why are you mad Pop"...."I'm just doing what I've seen you and mom do...."besides we are celebrating today'". "What are you celebrating?"....he inquired. I said "well I registered for the draft today.......and you know I could be in Viet nam by this time next year and you know....i might not make it back" He froze in his tracks......his eyes welled up and....he poured himself a drink
Old 02/10/2005, 07:02 PM
Registered Member

This board is a tame animal. Don't think for a second you've gone "too far".

This is going too far....

I don't even want to risk it - BrianD (a place I hang out every day)

This board is a place where you can do ANYTHING and not get banned. Swear, post obscene pictures, anything goes!

And if you don't like it, too bad!

Last edited by BrianD; 02/10/2005 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02/10/2005, 07:03 PM
Moved On

yo...

Quote:
Originally posted by adamjonpeterson
Well I will say this, I agree that sometimes things are said that are border line. But as someone who works with kids between the ages of 13-18 I have some news for you. I consider myself slightly depraved and up to date on things, but a 13 year old will often know dirty words, and such than I.
I talked to a freshman class the other day and some of the things they said I had to look up on the internet to see what they meant. Oh and when I tried to look them up on my school computer they were blocked by the schools filters, so that should tell you. I don't think that the occasional Woody thread or anything similar is going to teach our children something they don't already know.
Now if the lounge were to take a turn and just go down hill, I for one would tell someone and have it fixed. But if things stay as they are I think we are good to go.
I only wish that we could have some kind of pop-up banner for when you first come in the lounge that tells you that you need thick skin and you will be made fun of while in the lounge.

I apoligize for my many spelling errors, I am but a free member with no spell checker.
Yo Adam....thanks you have continued the point I was trying to make........they are not little Lord Fontlaroys and they are no more bad from one to the other than .......we are. they are reflections of us.......when will parents accept thier part of the blame.

FWIW....I interact with some wonderfull youth that are ready to take over the world ......as did we.....when thier turn comes and it will
Old 02/10/2005, 07:59 PM
Premium Member

Does anyone really think that some kid is going to stumble by accident (or on purpose) into the lounge and be affected by anything said here? I don't. If they are old enough to pick up on the innuendo's, they are old enough to participate, and may wish to. If they cannot, they will become confused, bored, and move on, thats all. C'mon, does anyone honestly believe any morals are being corrupted here? If you do, and you are purposely going out of your way to "protect" your kids (or others) from this type of content, you are setting them up for a BIG reality check later on. We all want to protect our children, but where does protection end and domination begin?

I don't think we would even be discussing this if a disgruntled person hadn't felt they needed to start pointing fingers to try to amplify an already weak point.
Old 02/10/2005, 08:07 PM
Moved In

Oh it's come up before. I don't believe it's a disgruntled thing either. I just wanted to see how others saw it. Keeps us in a little bit of check for awhile anyway.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 02/10/2005, 09:00 PM
Guardian of Little People

There is absolutely no harm in someone expressing an opinion. There is value to everyone's idea.

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 02/10/2005, 09:01 PM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

Except Brian's......

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 02/10/2005, 09:09 PM
Moved In

I agree with Beerguy!

Old 02/10/2005, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

I honestly feel that this whole topic is silly.

The only person who can offend someone is oneself. You make a concious decision to be offended or not offened.

Tis the problem with America these days.... people feel they have "the right to be offended". People need to grow some thicker skin, and move on.
Old 02/10/2005, 09:26 PM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

I grew some thicker skin, but really only where that rash is.

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 02/10/2005, 09:28 PM
Reefer

Scooter64/Fursphere, I believe you're missing the bigger picture.

From the Reef Central home page.
Quote:
Our Mission
Reef Central is an online community where quality information about the marine and reef aquarium hobby can be exchanged among all levels of hobbyist from beginner to advanced. Our goal is to help educate people about the saltwater aquarium hobby and enhance awareness of the fragility of coral reefs around the world. We hope you will join us and that you find this site useful.
"All levels of hobbyist" includes young people. Young people are the future of every part of humanity, including reefing. It would be sad to allow this board to degrade to the point where parents of young reefers felt this was a place they should not visit. The staff's wishes of keeping this place family friendly trumps any members desire to post as they please here.
Old 02/10/2005, 09:30 PM
Premium Member

Now beerguy, what have I told you about hanging around with that DWIZUM Character!
Old 02/10/2005, 09:58 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pnosko
Scooter64/Fursphere, I believe you're missing the bigger picture.

From the Reef Central home page."All levels of hobbyist" includes young people. Young people are the future of every part of humanity, including reefing. It would be sad to allow this board to degrade to the point where parents of young reefers felt this was a place they should not visit. The staff's wishes of keeping this place family friendly trumps any members desire to post as they please here.
Pete,

I don't disagree with what you are saying. I believe that anyone who is seeking education on reefkeeping, young or old, should be able to come here. After all, RC is probably the best place to do that. There are many, many forums here to educate one's self. When one wishes to take a break from the vast amounts of information, it is certainly refreshing to come to the lounge. By RC's definition, the Lounge is "A forum for members to hang out and enjoy some discussion that is not reef related". Is a person seeking information likely to go to the lounge after reading the description? If an adult comes into the lounge and reads the posts here, will they forbid their sons or daughters to come to RC? I think not. Any parent or guardian that would, would not allow the kid on the internet to begin with. I believe the moderators do an excellent job to keep this board clean and family friendly, and don't believe that the jovial, off topic postings in the lounge in any way degrade the integrity of Reef Central.
Old 02/10/2005, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

Greetings everyone I'm the son of o'coralman.You can call me o'coralteen.I dont find RC offensive at all.
Its very relaxing to post in here and chat with other people.When some of you were talking about the stuff on cartoon network I can agree with some of what yall said like the adult swim they have on it.But the way you put it you were making it sound like it was 18 up but its only 14 up.
There is hardly any cussing and no nudity(the farthest they have ever gone is a girl in a bikini).There mabye some crude humor but it dosent go out of line. Actually some of the stuff today has been sensored a little more then it was about 10 or 20 years ago I mean in loony toons they had the charactor do the one last smoke before I die gag and now today people get offended by seeing one cigoarete in a cartoon.Now if I questioned any of you guys parenting skilles then I'm sorry I didnt mean to.

Chris
Old 02/10/2005, 10:09 PM
Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by Scooter64
If an adult comes into the lounge and reads the posts here, will they forbid their sons or daughters to come to RC? I think not.
That's your opinion and you have a right to it. Others have their own.
Quote:
Originally posted by Fat Man
I have to think would I want my kids reading this stuff when they're older. Some times I would have to say no, this includes some of my own posts.
This is the opinion with which I take issue.
Quote:
Originally posted by Scooter64
I don't think we would even be discussing this if a disgruntled person hadn't felt they needed to start pointing fingers to try to amplify an already weak point.
You want your opinion respected, but you don't do the same for others.
Old 02/10/2005, 10:34 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pnosko
You want your opinion respected, but you don't do the same for others.
I will admit, the comment I made that hastened your above judgement was out of line. I do respect the opinion of others as much as that knee jerk comment would indicate otherwise. That said, I still stand by my other comments and would like to hear your opinion on those.
Old 02/10/2005, 10:35 PM
Guardian of Little People

Let's not make this too involved. We all know we need to watch our posts a little better. No harm, no foul in keeping that in mind.

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 02/10/2005, 10:41 PM
Premium Member

you mean it's time to ride bikes?
Old 02/10/2005, 10:55 PM
Moved In

Quote:
Originally posted by o'coralteen
Greetings everyone I'm the son of o'coralman.You can call me o'coralteen.I dont find RC offensive at all.
Its very relaxing to post in here and chat with other people.When some of you were talking about the stuff on cartoon network I can agree with some of what yall said like the adult swim they have on it.But the way you put it you were making it sound like it was 18 up but its only 14 up.
There is hardly any cussing and no nudity(the farthest they have ever gone is a girl in a bikini).There mabye some crude humor but it dosent go out of line. Actually some of the stuff today has been sensored a little more then it was about 10 or 20 years ago I mean in loony toons they had the charactor do the one last smoke before I die gag and now today people get offended by seeing one cigoarete in a cartoon.Now if I questioned any of you guys parenting skilles then I'm sorry I didnt mean to.

Chris
Hey there o'coralteen!
to the party!

And thanks for everyones input silly or not! I appreciate it.

Old 02/10/2005, 10:56 PM
Comme un soleil ensorcelé

Quote:
Originally posted by Fursphere
I honestly feel that this whole topic is silly.

The only person who can offend someone is oneself. You make a concious decision to be offended or not offened.

Tis the problem with America these days.... people feel they have "the right to be offended". People need to grow some thicker skin, and move on.
It's not so much that people are personally offended by stuff, sometimes things said are just out of line. It takes a lot to offend me. I don't mind cussing, I don't mind dirty jokes, et cetera. While something may not personally offend me, I may feel "offended" in a way for the person/group something is directed at.

On the other hand, it is frustrating how "sensitive" some people are. I once got in trouble for having an avatar of the girls from t.A.T.y. a long time back. Supposedly to some, it looked like they were kissing. In actuality, they were looking at eachother singing. Nonetheless, I heard stories about so-and-so's little child seeing the picture and being worried, asking why two girls were kissing and all of that nonsense. I got PM's saying how distasteful my actions were. I thought that was way over the top.

That probably didn't make ANY sense, so I will finish by saying: No, I don't think people go "too far" in The Lounge.
Old 02/10/2005, 10:57 PM
Moved On

my son

Well I hear tires and before they have riders I want to say.......thats my son and i'm proud of him.
He came into the room I asked him to read the thread and give his opinion. He does not spend alot of time on-line here.....but helps with the tanks....especially the testing of the water part. Gaia is his thing and I have seen that place....RC is tame.
I too do understand we can, and have pushed the line. This puts undo pressure on some good folks.....the mods. Since I push for Most Annoying...sucking up serves me not. I am being real and lets help them out.
If we look back over the last few months.....things have been "slouching towards Jerico".....if you will. I believe BrianD is right and also tired of trying NOT to be the bad guy. He closed his own thread and I almost caused that before we all got nutso.

"Nuff Said "....now make it a good day

Steve
Old 02/10/2005, 10:59 PM
Premium Member

WEEEEE!
Old 02/10/2005, 11:02 PM
Moved In

Could you animate those?