Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/13/2007, 04:22 PM
Premium Member

My last tank had several HUGE scratches ...caused by "helpful cleaning" .....My mag float stays inside the stand or around back up high where its hard to grab....
Old 09/13/2007, 05:18 PM
Registered Member

I must be an ****ole. If someone gets to close to my tank I don't care who the hell it is. I tell them to back off!!!! I don't have a problem going postal on someone for messing with my tank... I don't care what they think of me... Don't like it get the hell out of my house... My tank is my baby like I am sure everybody else here. I take it very personal if someone does something to my tank out of ignorance or not. I do not play that game!!! My mag float stays in the tank and nobody dare touch it
Old 09/13/2007, 06:22 PM
Registered Member

Two tricks I can think of:

1. Post the total $$$ you've spent on the tank to date where the adults can see it

2. Wire up the dry side of the mag-float like a cattle prod for the grubby little rug rats

That should shock them enough either way to keep them from messing about

---------------------------------------------------

"I have a total irreverence for anything connected with society except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer."
Brendan Behan
Old 09/13/2007, 06:35 PM
Premium Member

I like the cattle prod idea
Old 09/13/2007, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mykel Obvious
1. Post the total $$$ you've spent on the tank to date where the adults can see it
[/B]
Yep...that should take care of the wife looking at the tank...and probably the kids too as a side effect. May result in the tank having to be moved though.
Old 09/14/2007, 01:47 AM
:::===( @ | }

This thread is great, I can relate to most of it. And now I know they mean by busting a gut cause my side really hurts now lmao

One thing I did, is when aquascaping, I had the mag float right there where the rock was going, and made sure there was a gap around 3 sides of my tank, the mag float doesn't hit a thing!! I knew that would have been a problem.
Old 09/14/2007, 03:03 AM
Moved On

It hasn't happened to me, but then again, I don't leave mine in the tank...
Old 09/14/2007, 07:36 AM
Premium Member

Several years ago the neighbor children (3 poorly behaved boys,5, 8, and 10) use to come over and mess with the magnet. When my child (well mannered girl...no, really, she is!) saw what they were doing, she moved the magnet to a place that they couldn't reach. When she told them not to play with the magnet they got mad and one of them put something, we never could find out what, in my tank and killed several thousand dollars worth of coral and fish. I never even had a chance to talk to the kids before my daughter told them never to come back. Now, 3 years later my daughter is 13 and the owner of that 75 gal and she fusses everytime she sees all the scratches they put in it. I'm not sure exactly what she said to them but they still give our house a wide berth!
Old 09/14/2007, 09:09 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by ToniYo
Several years ago the neighbor children (3 poorly behaved boys,5, 8, and 10) use to come over and mess with the magnet. When my child (well mannered girl...no, really, she is!) saw what they were doing, she moved the magnet to a place that they couldn't reach. When she told them not to play with the magnet they got mad and one of them put something, we never could find out what, in my tank and killed several thousand dollars worth of coral and fish. I never even had a chance to talk to the kids before my daughter told them never to come back. Now, 3 years later my daughter is 13 and the owner of that 75 gal and she fusses everytime she sees all the scratches they put in it. I'm not sure exactly what she said to them but they still give our house a wide berth!
Thats funny, How old was your daughter? Did you ever talk to thier parents?
Old 09/14/2007, 12:42 PM
Premium Member

My daughter was 10 then but she has always been mature. No I never did talk to the parents, they we going through a difficult time then with marriage problems and a new baby coming so I didn't want to be the preverbial straw. The right time will come to bring it up. They have their hands full with 4 boys. And my daughter had done such a great job of communicating her feelings on the matter, I figured that the potental for a future threat was non-existant! I now have a 180 in place of the 75 and I keep the mag high in the corner where it is difficult for anyone to reach and kind of hidden behind a Koralia.
Old 09/14/2007, 12:48 PM
Premium Member

when my friends start messing with my mag float I open the front door and say "i'll be outside, by your car" then they ask why? then I tell them " I was going to get dust off with some 80 grit sandpaper" that usually stops them...
Old 09/14/2007, 01:23 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by michaeljames
when my friends start messing with my mag float I open the front door and say "i'll be outside, by your car" then they ask why? then I tell them " I was going to get dust off with some 80 grit sandpaper" that usually stops them...
lol, so true.
Old 09/14/2007, 02:21 PM
Premium Member

Most people ask what it is... I tell them... They say "Oh" or "cool..." and then they ignore it while they stare at my tank and ask me other questions about the other things in my tank... Never had anyone even try to touch the thing except my son... And I taught him how to use it so he won't misuse the thing.

If someone did insist on cleaning my tank for me I'd ask them politely to stop... If they continued, I'd ask them to stop in a sterner voice... if they still continued, I'd rip their arms off and beat them with 'em!!! (JK) Fortunately it has never come to that...