Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/02/2007, 05:57 PM
Registered Member

well leave it to USPS to mess up shipping. I ordered a Idaho Grape cap , blue tenuis, blue stag, Hydnophora, Green Milli, and Birdsnest. from a reefer in the middle of Iowa and he shipped them overnight. well guess what I guess overnight means 2 days now. I could have drove the 4 hours and back by this time. well after talking to the PO they will be at the station at 3:30am this morning. so I am gonna pick them up then and hope for the best.

just had to vent.
Old 11/03/2007, 10:16 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

Sorry to hear man. I've heard of people dry shipping them for 2days but I doubt you will have them alive.

Did you order them from a store or a person? Did they use USPS overnight? If they did and they didn't arrive overnight I'm assuming you should be able to get your money back since they didn't go overnight. But some companys won't give you back the $$ for the livestock as they state in their rules that they won't ship live animals.

Keep us updated

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 11/03/2007, 10:26 PM
Losing again! NEXT YEAR!

Good luck man. You get that from Waverz? He's got some nice stuff.

Leave it to the post office to screw it up!
Old 11/03/2007, 10:56 PM
Registered Member

well I waited till 4am (still at 32 degrees out) when the truck came into the post office and found the package. didn't seem to smell good at first. so I rushed them home and opened the box. well to my surprise the water they were in still seemed warm. so I started taking them out and looking them over and noticed that the milli still had the polyps out. and all the rest seemed ok but wasn't gonna know for sure until the lights came on. but after looking at them tonight they seem to be fine. all showing at least a little polyp extension.

and yeah I got them from Jermey. they were very nice frags. i gotta give him credit though he packed them very well with insulation in the box to help keep the temp.

the post office still makes us mad though but he called them up and figured out something with them.

I will post some pics tommrow after they get done with the last of the treatments and put in the tank along with a few other frags I picked up tonight. like the purple waffer
Old 11/04/2007, 07:03 PM
Registered Member

ok now that all corals are done with the treatment and put into the tank I guess I can put some pics up.

first the pics I got from Waver's
Blue Tenuis

ORA Green Birdsnest

Blue Stag

Idhao Grape Cap (broke during shipping. but now I have 2 )

Hydrophora

Green Millie

and then I also picked up a couple frags from Safari Land
they call this the purple waffle

and another Green Millie (gotta love Millie's)

on a good note I didn't find any bugs while doing any of the treatments.
Old 11/04/2007, 08:18 PM
Registered Member

Cool, looking great Sam
Good thing they didn't die due to shipping!
Old 11/04/2007, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

thanks, yeah these frags are to nice to have had died in shipping.

now all I have to do is get rid of the dang canyo. I am thinking of replaceing my 2 powerheads with 4 smaller powerhead to get better flow from more areas rather then just those 2.
Old 11/04/2007, 09:09 PM
metalheadreefnerd

Looking good Sam. Glad those frags made it ok. I packed them with extra love "just in case".

www.greateriowareefsociety.org
Old 11/04/2007, 09:33 PM
Losing again! NEXT YEAR!

Quote:
Originally posted by waverz
Looking good Sam. Glad those frags made it ok. I packed them with extra love "just in case".

What a guy!
Old 11/04/2007, 09:59 PM
Registered Member

well the extra love packing really helped out alot and I thank you alot for it.

also just so I don't forget the purple waffle is a Montipora mollis
Old 11/04/2007, 11:07 PM
TRC Leader

Sam, I've been to that store! They had some cool corals.

It was great meeting you, and thank you for driving all the way out to Sioux Falls to spend some time with the group. I know you'd rather have been hunting.
Old 11/04/2007, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Sam, I've been to that store! They had some cool corals.

It was great meeting you, and thank you for driving all the way out to Sioux Falls to spend some time with the group. I know you'd rather have been hunting.
hmmm hunting or meeting marc and the group. well if I had my hunting licence darn right I would have been hunting like Travis jk I was very happy to have met you and I love going to tank tours to see new ways of incorperating new things into my tank to help it run smoother.

I hope you and chuck thought of some good ideas with his tank as I would love to see that tank turn into the 600 gal SPS tank like he always had hoped.

yeah I think Grant has some really nice frags. and after looking around I guess the purple waffle is a purple haze but either way I love it.

Did you take any new things back to play with? not sure how much you liked those plastic scrapers your were playing with but a few ppl I know swear by them.
Old 11/04/2007, 11:30 PM
TRC Leader

I left mine on top of Chuck's tank accidentally. I'll have to see if I can find some locally and test it out. It looked promising, but until I've tried it on my tank, the jury's out.

I came home with a lot of pictures again. Around 300 this trip.

I think Chuck will be able to get that tank up to SPS-level in the near future. He has a good game plan in place, and we talked about several things that I believe will make it possible.

Assuming of course his Tangs don't cause too much trouble. They can be bulldozers at times.
Old 11/04/2007, 11:40 PM
Registered Member

wow, looking forward to seeing the pics.

to bad about the scraper but if you can't find one let me know and i will get you one.

well I am glad you 2 figured out a good game plan, and as always if he ever needs help setting things up or any kind of help on the tank I am more than happy to help out.
Old 11/04/2007, 11:55 PM
TRC Leader

He's really lucky to have such willing friends in the area. I told him if I lived closer, I'd be over there helping get it all ship-shape. Can't help myself.
Old 11/05/2007, 10:47 PM
Registered Member

Look's Good Sam

Glad to see your shipment made it OK.
Old 11/15/2007, 09:33 AM
Registered Member

well I think I finally got my video to work thanks to Marc. so lets try this one first. then is when I first got my hippo tang after a couple days he thinks he is a clown fish
Old 11/15/2007, 11:01 AM
Premium Member

Nice looking video...looks like there is a lot of flow in the tank from the way the fish were swimming.
Old 11/15/2007, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

yeah, lots of flow but mainly only from 2 powerheads (seio 1100 and MJMOD med. flow). but the fish love it the thing I don't like and why I aksed you about the tunze's is that the flow stays like that all the time. no type of wave or such. plus if you see the sandbed now it keeps creating a hole. I am thinking that either getting 2 diff. powerheads like tunze's and having them do the wave feature might help with the sand part and also get better flow throughout the tank.
Old 11/15/2007, 04:06 PM
TRC Leader

Is that an anemone in the background or a toadstool leather? I'd guess the latter because it seemed pretty rigid around the base, plus the yellow sponge that appears to be on it.

Those clowns will never be obese on that treadmill you've got there.
Old 11/15/2007, 04:32 PM
Registered Member

that is a toadstool (aka the clown's home) yeah I need to put the base on a bigger rock as it it only on 2 small rocks so nowhere else for it to grow. not sure where you see the yellow sponge though?

yeah the 2 clowns and hippo go at that powerhead all day long. so I am sure I will never have any fat fish
Old 11/15/2007, 04:39 PM
TRC Leader

The underside of the Toadstool looks yellow to me. Is that the body color then, and not some commensal sponge growth?
Old 11/15/2007, 04:41 PM
Moved On

is tis an aisan, tread?
Old 11/15/2007, 05:28 PM
Registered Member

the body is a yellowish color tward the bottom but white on the upper half. does that mean it isn't well? been like that for a long time.

hypo sorry not an asian thread lol. my wife is asian but I'm not which is where I got the name.
Old 11/15/2007, 05:33 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by kau_cinta_ku
the body is a yellowish color tward the bottom but white on the upper half. does that mean it isn't well? been like that for a long time.
It's probably fine.