Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/20/2006, 11:03 PM
Memium Prember

I have fans on my sump and fuge, and fans venting the stand. But my tank was still hitting 84+ every day. So then I bought one of these AZOO four fan units for my tank.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113030
I have it temp controlled to come on at 81.5 and my tank never gets over 82 now. It goes from right around 81 at night/early morning to right at 82.0 at the hottest at the end of the halide time.
Old 07/21/2006, 09:19 AM
Fiddles With Reef

I was having some issues but have it in check now. What I did was turn off one of my closed loops pumps (a Dart - didn't need it anymore anyway as I got my Vortechs now). That added about 0.7 degrees so every bit helps. I also turned the temp down at night by lowering the heater threshold so the tank takes longer to heat up and lastly I raised the light canopy by about 8". With the halides not so close to the water it seems to help. My tank was hitting 84.5 even with an A/C unit but now it doesn't go above 82.

340g In-Wall Envision Tank and 150g Sump (fuge and grow-out).
Old 07/21/2006, 11:50 AM
Standpipe Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by rdmpe
I have fans on my sump and fuge, and fans venting the stand. But my tank was still hitting 84+ every day. So then I bought one of these AZOO four fan units for my tank.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113030
I have it temp controlled to come on at 81.5 and my tank never gets over 82 now. It goes from right around 81 at night/early morning to right at 82.0 at the hottest at the end of the halide time.
Thanks for the suggestion but that looks tiny. I have an 8-inch fan directly over the sump (blowing down, not across - dunno if that makes a difference). The fan is being temperature controlled by the Aqua-controller.

I'm going to get a second fan for the sump and try to get one over the display. The remaining issue will be room humidity. The room is running at 50% to 60% humidity.

Visit My Chunk of the Ocean, click the Red House above.
Old 07/21/2006, 11:56 AM
Standpipe Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by NexDog
I was having some issues but have it in check now. What I did was turn off one of my closed loops pumps (a Dart - didn't need it anymore anyway as I got my Vortechs now). That added about 0.7 degrees so every bit helps. I also turned the temp down at night by lowering the heater threshold so the tank takes longer to heat up and lastly I raised the light canopy by about 8". With the halides not so close to the water it seems to help. My tank was hitting 84.5 even with an A/C unit but now it doesn't go above 82.
More great ideas... thanks. I don't have any closed loops, I have two Tunze Streams and and Iwaki 55RLT return pump. I did notice last week or so that turning off the Iwaki Md70RLT powering the skimmer reduced water temperature by 4 degrees! However, I can't blame that all on the pump as the skimmer itself could be heating the water just by drawing in so much warm air from the room.

Old 07/21/2006, 12:02 PM
Fiddles With Reef

The Iwakis do run hot - I had one on my Deltec. Now I gravity feed my skimmer so one less pump.

Old 07/21/2006, 12:04 PM
TRC Leader

Running a Dehumidifier will help a lot in lowering the room's termperature. I've been considering getting one for my fishroom.

The fan over the sump... it is blowing cool air into the sump or is it relatively hot air?
Old 07/21/2006, 12:07 PM
Standpipe Guy

Might as well fess up to a design flaw I had so other may learn from it.... I have my Aqua-controller probes all mounted to a Styrofoam block that is floating in the sump. I forgot to refill the 5 gallon RO/DI bottle my kalkreactor feeds from yesterday morning and I didn't have enough slack in the probe wires.

I had enough evaporation that the wires snagged which prevented the foam block from staying on the water surface. The temperature probe got exposed to the air which tricked the aqua-controller into thinking the water temperature was only 80*F. It then turned the sump fans off and left the halides on.

I realized what happened when I saw the LCD reading on the heaters showing 86 and the Aqua-controller showing 80*F. I jiggled the cable a little to give it some more slack and the halides turned off and sump fan went back on.

oops.

Old 07/21/2006, 12:11 PM
Standpipe Guy

Quote:
The Iwakis do run hot - I had one on my Deltec. Now I gravity feed my skimmer so one less pump.
Can't gravity feed a beckett based skimmer. That is a nice design perk of the recirculating models such as Deltec, Euroreef, etc that the water source is not the air injection source allowing you to use gravity feeds.

Old 07/21/2006, 12:46 PM
Standpipe Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Running a Dehumidifier will help a lot in lowering the room's termperature. I've been considering getting one for my fishroom.

The fan over the sump... it is blowing cool air into the sump or is it relatively hot air?
I would think the dehumidifier will heat up the room more than it will help cool it from drying the air unless you can vent out the heat somehow. I haven't seen dehumidifiers that can vent outside. So I'm using the AC to cool and I assume also dehumidify.

Just a reminder the basement is below grade, no windows. I have a 300 CFM fan removing hot air from the lighting hood and ballast enclosure to the outside via two dryer vent like holes to the outside. This should help to draw in cooler, less humid air from the rest of the house.... obviously not enough. In addition, there is a 10,000 BTU portable room AC venting to the outside through another dryer like vent hole. I have a 10,000 BTU window unit upstairs which easily cools off a 600sq/ft area and puts out WAAAYYY more cooler air volume wise than this floor standing unit. I don't think you can directly compare what these floor models do vs the window units.

Between the two of these methods, so much air is being blown outside that the doorway to the basement stairs will close on its own from the airflow if left just slightly open. Once closed you can feel significant "wind" of air rushing under the door.

The basement is approximately 600 sq/ft with the fish room taking about 200 sq/ft of that.

The sump fan is blowing room temperature air on the sump. Room temperature is typically 80*F to 82*F even with AC running.

Old 07/21/2006, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

How i keep the heat out of the water on my 180 gal reef tank .
1260 Eheim pump for the return pump.
Two Tunze 6100 streams with a 7095 multicontroller
Iwaki MD55RLT for the the beckett skimmer ,only one beckett is used only one is needed.
tank tem 78 deg to 79 deg
room tem 74 deg
two box fans 55 cfm each one at each end of the tank blowing end
no fans used in the sump
air for the skimmer from the outside and the air leaving the skimmer goes back outside .
Old 07/21/2006, 05:03 PM
Premium Member

i really like your purple acropora, did u get it at your lfs, or did you order online? I haven't been able to find anything like it at my lfs.
Old 07/21/2006, 05:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RGibson
How i keep the heat out of the water on my 180 gal reef tank .
1260 Eheim pump for the return pump.
Two Tunze 6100 streams with a 7095 multicontroller
Iwaki MD55RLT for the the beckett skimmer ,only one beckett is used only one is needed.
tank tem 78 deg to 79 deg
room tem 74 deg
two box fans 55 cfm each one at each end of the tank blowing end
no fans used in the sump
air for the skimmer from the outside and the air leaving the skimmer goes back outside .
you say tank room at 74, Right?

That would solve Rich's problem too the issue is the cost or running the AC unit he has!!
Old 07/21/2006, 05:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
My Dehumidifier creates an enormous amount of heat, so I run it just enough to pull the humidity out of the air
It’s about 3 years old and it was not a cheap one either
Old 07/21/2006, 05:25 PM
Registered Member

The ele bill

Quote:
Originally posted by 240-Reefer
you say tank room at 74, Right?

That would solve Rich's problem too the issue is the cost or running the AC unit he has!!
I used 1900 kwh hours for 30 days and thats for all of the 1700 sq ft house and the reef tank.The house has central air .Out side air tem day 93 deg at night 70 deg. The cost per kwh $0.07
Old 07/21/2006, 09:45 PM
Registered Member

Thats translates into empty pockets. What is going to have more of an inpact on your SPS, no light or high temps. I would run it at 86F and see how it does. Either that or just get a chiller and be done with it.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!FOR SALE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07/21/2006, 09:49 PM
Standpipe Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by jiggly75
i really like your purple acropora, did u get it at your lfs, or did you order online? I haven't been able to find anything like it at my lfs.
I got it from a LFS's "Not for Sale" tank. Took me a while to get a piece.

Old 07/21/2006, 10:26 PM
Fiddles With Reef

It was getting hot last week and I thought the rainy season was over as normal (in mid-July). But we had a nasty rain front move in and Japan has been inundated like rainy seasons of old. Much of Kyushu (southern island) is flooded but it's pretty impossible to flood bad in the mountain valley where I live. So temperatures have been mild. I am worried for August/September though as 110F is an easily attainable temperature. Maybe next year I'll get a chiller but I have to fiddle with things this year to get the temp down.

Old 07/21/2006, 10:32 PM
Standpipe Guy

Re: The ele bill

Quote:
Originally posted by RGibson
I used 1900 kwh hours for 30 days and thats for all of the 1700 sq ft house and the reef tank.The house has central air .Out side air tem day 93 deg at night 70 deg. The cost per kwh $0.07
My cost per kwh is $0.13 using between 3000 to 4000 kwh/month (according to the historical graph they provide), I have a 1800sq/ft, three floor town house -- electric everything (no gas or oil).

ouch!

Old 07/21/2006, 10:34 PM
Standpipe Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by scaryperson27
Thats translates into empty pockets. What is going to have more of an inpact on your SPS, no light or high temps. I would run it at 86F and see how it does. Either that or just get a chiller and be done with it.

Chiller is on the to-do list. Just working out short-term options to get through the summer. This time last year the tank was still new, didn't have any SPS to worry about.

Old 07/21/2006, 10:35 PM
Standpipe Guy

Quote:
am worried for August/September though as 110F is an easily attainable temperature. Maybe next year I'll get a chiller but I have to fiddle with things this year to get the temp down.
110F !! wow. To hot for me.

Old 07/21/2006, 11:32 PM
Standpipe Guy

Just as a random sample with the halides on mid-way through photoperiod.

AC drawing 14.22 amps, room is at 82.4*F, 51% humidity, tank is at 84.7*F.

Old 07/23/2006, 07:47 AM
Memium Prember

I don't see any way to get the tank temps down very much when the room is so warm. Do you have any fans inside your canopy that are actually blowing down on the water surface? Any submerged pumps that can be made external? I can't think of anything else other than getting a lot more air movement between the basement and the cooler parts of the house somehow, or more AC power...
Old 07/23/2006, 10:34 AM
Standpipe Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by rdmpe
I don't see any way to get the tank temps down very much when the room is so warm. Do you have any fans inside your canopy that are actually blowing down on the water surface? Any submerged pumps that can be made external? I can't think of anything else other than getting a lot more air movement between the basement and the cooler parts of the house somehow, or more AC power...
The tank is completely open top with a AB Aqua space light hanging 13 inches from the water surface. Only fan is on the sump so far, I'll pick up some more fans and have it going across the display surface. The only submerged pumps are the Tunze Streams and a small mini-jet pump which feeds the calcium reactor.

Old 07/23/2006, 10:50 AM
Standpipe Guy

Our local reef club had its first open to public event including Anthony Calfo doing his coral fragging presentation. He stuck around for Q&A and did some book signings. I was surprised how well it went. No significant problems.

Had a whole table full of door prizes including various additives, magazines, books, food samples, etc. I picked up a bottle of DT's Premium Reef Blend.

Between vendors, members and visitors nearly 150 frags (including about 15 fish, a few clams, and a handful of BTAs) went up for auction. Many good buys. I picked up two new acro's, an encrusting montipora and I think its a birdsnest with purple polyps.

The fragging demo generated another 100+ frags and cuttings which were handed out as freebies. I'm not aware of the official headcount but I think it was around 70 people.

Old 07/23/2006, 12:32 PM
Memium Prember

Man that is an awesome club meeting!

I didn't realize your tank was open top - need some full tank shots to remind me