Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/22/2007, 01:23 PM
Registered Member

i might overdrive them but dont really need to because it will already be alot of light!
Old 12/22/2007, 01:26 PM
Registered Member

Is there anything I can do to make my skimmer run a lot more wet? I was thinking about just shaving down the overflow piece of plastic to my likings but I thought I would ask if any of you have come up with something better.

Thanks,

Pat
Old 12/22/2007, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

they wont fit damn!
Old 12/22/2007, 01:52 PM
Registered Member

Reefmack --

Ok here is the get $hit done side of the office, I have a pc and a mac on this side to work with.

This side of the office is for goofing off! It has the TV on the wall and the game machine. The laptop was a business right off, ive never even used the thing!

Lots more in the office, but I can't get positioned to take good pictures and show the tank at the same time. I even painted the walls "Porsche Grey" lol and have a neon sign and everything.

The RSM is in the family room and I was OUT VOTED on the christmas tree placement! So these are all I can get of the RSM in its location. I will take a new one once Christmas is over.

Old 12/22/2007, 04:01 PM
Genuine reef addict

Y-DesygnGuy - nice office & RSM room! Now I see all the Porsche theme stuff getting ready for the eventual arrival of one! If I wasn't concerned about more job force reductions, forced early retirements, and a possible office relocation next year I'd have a small cube in my office. As it is I just have a 6 g FW tank in mine.

stephensturman - I had real doubts the lights would fit in the hood - just not enough space with the split hood. Too bad nanocustoms doesn't make a T5 upgrade for the RSM.

Patio - I don't recall anyone shaving down the neck opening of the skimmer cup, but it was something I always thought seemed like a good idea - to be able to give the foam a better chance of getting into the cup, instead of just depositing crud on the neck. I'm a bit surprised no one has tried it.

By the way, to all:

Old 12/22/2007, 04:06 PM
Excuse My French...

Patio: I strongly believe that the skimmer is too "high" in its chamber: I have considered cutting a bit the base of the skimmer and also cutting the conical piece of the collection box but these mods are both way too complicated for me... (hey, I do not even have the tools to try them out..)

And maybe I should show off my Mustang GT Convertible for Y-Design??? I considering adding underbody neons lights... Fast and Furious style..
Old 12/22/2007, 04:54 PM
Registered Member

Reefmack -- Thanks! That sounds like a lot to worry about! Hope everything works out good in the end for you. 2008 will be my 4th year with my business, I have grown each and every year! I don't know if i could go back to work for someone after this. I want a tank in every room I swear I have all the spots picked out.

Laurent -- I would love to see, if I am not talking about work, money and lame clients!!! I am talking about cars and what I want to get and do blah blah blah, I drive my girl friend crazy!
I saved a few of the pictures I took when I worked for the Indy Car driver, he had an exhaust company so all he wanted to see was the back end of the cars. http://www.y-desygn.com/auto.htm

I am trying to not post pics or get off topic of "non rsm" related stuff, sorry!
Old 12/22/2007, 04:55 PM
Registered Member

I agonized....

Reefmack,

Reading about your hermit crab reminded me of my anguish over my 3+ year old Betta "Buster"!!! He developed an ulcerous bacterial infection under his dorsal fin. I tried everything for 2 weeks to heal it! Finally, I decided that he was in so much discomfort that it would be more humane to end his suffering. I research 'fish euthanasia' techniques!!! Can you believe it? In the past I would have always 'flushed 'em'... but my research suggested freezing, flushing, etc. was cruel! In your case... we are after all talking about a Hermit Crab!

Anyway I decided on using a diluted 'clove oil' (Eugenol) technique for my beloved but suffering betta "Buster"! It was supposed to calm him and then with incresed doses euthanise him! When I introduced him to the solution, he showed so much distress that I turned on the cold water in my kitchen sink and the garbage disposal and poured him down! Hopefully that was the quickest and most humane end.

Can't explain why this bothered me and why I am writing this?

Happy Holidays
Old 12/22/2007, 04:56 PM
Registered Member

Oh and from my family to yours, Happy Holidays to you all!
Old 12/22/2007, 05:10 PM
Premium Member

Re: I agonized....

Its part of the healing process. It was either your first or second post. So let it go, its time. Its all the circle of life thing. Welcome to RC. Do you have a RSM?

Marty

Quote:
Originally posted by NaCl+H2O Fish
Reefmack,

Reading about your hermit crab reminded me of my anguish over my 3+ year old Betta "Buster"!!! He developed an ulcerous bacterial infection under his dorsal fin. I tried everything for 2 weeks to heal it! Finally, I decided that he was in so much discomfort that it would be more humane to end his suffering. I research 'fish euthanasia' techniques!!! Can you believe it? In the past I would have always 'flushed 'em'... but my research suggested freezing, flushing, etc. was cruel! In your case... we are after all talking about a Hermit Crab!

Anyway I decided on using a diluted 'clove oil' (Eugenol) technique for my beloved but suffering betta "Buster"! It was supposed to calm him and then with incresed doses euthanise him! When I introduced him to the solution, he showed so much distress that I turned on the cold water in my kitchen sink and the garbage disposal and poured him down! Hopefully that was the quickest and most humane end.

Can't explain why this bothered me and why I am writing this?

Happy Holidays
Old 12/22/2007, 05:24 PM
Genuine reef addict

NaCl+H2O Fish - great to see you show up in here! I never did ask when your RSM is supposed to arrive and be set up. Strange - I thought about the clove oil euthanasia, and based on what you said, I'm glad I did. It bothered you because you care about the life in your care! I figured freezing would slowly slow down body funtions to the point that they stopped. Welcome to RC and the Club!

http://www.jacquielawson.com/viewcar...5&source=jl999
Old 12/22/2007, 06:49 PM
Registered Member

I moved my Korilia #1 to the "sturman" position and it's awesome. It's barely noticeable now and the flow works well pointed towards the front glass.

I don't think I'd get anything done if I had a reef tank to play with at work!!!

Happy Holidays all
Old 12/22/2007, 06:58 PM
Genuine reef addict

A new reefkeeping term - the Sturman position!
Old 12/22/2007, 07:30 PM
Registered Member

Reefmack,

I was only giving credit, where credit was due, but it ended up sounding like a medical term...like the Heimlich maneuver. lol

Update: Tunze Nano skimmer.

The skimmer is consistently producing 50-100 ml of dark green liquid each day now. With a small mod to the inside of the skimmer lid (removed stiffening fin) the lid closes now. I haven't seen a MB in over a week...not a one, making it worth the money IMO.
Old 12/22/2007, 08:07 PM
Genuine reef addict

Great news on the Tunze Hodge! If you get a chance post some pics of your mount and the fin mod. Are you using anything for mechanical filtration?
Old 12/22/2007, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the special holiday animation!

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefmack
NaCl+H2O Fish - great to see you show up in here! I never did ask when your RSM is supposed to arrive and be set up. Strange - I thought about the clove oil euthanasia, and based on what you said, I'm glad I did. Welcome to RC and the Club!

http://www.jacquielawson.com/viewcar...5&source=jl999
My gosh Reefmack... I thought you knew where I was in beginning my RSM adventure!

Currently my brand new RSM + Starter Kit (purchased for $ 580.00) is still in it's box in the garage while I finish construction of the pedestal we have talked about... Almost COMPLETE! Pictures are going into my gallery. I welcome and encourage any and all comments!

You all need to know that Reefmack took the time to respond to all my email 'newbie RSM' inquires with a great amount of patience, great information and encouragement! A Million Thanks to You!!!

In regards to 'euthanasia' of fish. We all eventually become aware of the fact that our fish begin to recognize us and have distinct personalities! Cognitive beings that become dependent on our careful attention and care... Well for me Betta's are exhibitA!
If you have taken care of them for several years and they have responded to your approach, it's hard to treat them as if they were a fence post! Yes... it may be a little sappy but here are the the sites I found that discuss a more humane approach to euthanizing fish:
http://www.nippyfish.net Euthanizing Aquarium Fish
http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/ same subject
Using MS222/tricaine methanesulfonate/"Finquel" a tranquilizer seems to be the MOST humane. Thanks to all who understood my
sensitivity in how I wanted to painlessly euthanize my betta 'Buster'.

Eureka!!! I may have discovered a local, affordable, quality source for cured LR!
Take a look at http://www.intmarinefish.com I just sent them an inquiry... More later.

Happy Holidays,
Kent
Old 12/22/2007, 10:34 PM
Premium Member

Re: Thanks for the special holiday animation!

Unless you are going to have your own thread, I absolutely think that your pedestal build belongs in this thread. It is RSM related. Who knows, someone may be interested in doing the same thing you are.
But its not my thread and I may be wrong.

Marty

Currently my brand new RSM + Starter Kit (purchased for $ 580.00) is still in it's box in the garage while I finish construction of the pedestal we have talked about... Almost COMPLETE! Pictures are going into my gallery. I welcome and encourage any and all comments!

You all need to know that Reefmack took the time to respond to all my email 'newbie RSM' inquires with a great amount of patience, great information and encouragement! A Million Thanks to You!!!

Happy Holidays,
Kent [/B][/QUOTE]
Old 12/22/2007, 11:05 PM
Genuine reef addict

NaCl+H2O Fish - I guess the freezer euthanasia isn't the best, but if the other methods work as well as the clove oil you tried, maybe the kitchen disposal method was better - instant decapitation - instant de-everything! I'm not sure that my kitchen disposal could handle the big turbo shell the hermit was in though. You probably mentioned that you already had the RSM in an early email, but I must have missed it! I was thinking it was due to arrive this week. That price on cured rock of $117 per 30lbs., and free overnight shipping sounds like a real deal! Sale ends today? Even after the sale ends today it's still at a good price.

For the rest, Kent is building a really sturdy pedestal to put onto a heavy oak table, and raise it up to about the level of the RSM cabinet, Correct me if I'm wrong on any of that Kent. I've already seen pictures of it, and it should look really nice when done. He's already told me that he'd most likely start his own RSM thread, but I told him he'd better be stopping in this one frequently too!

Fed the brain Coral Frenzy tonight and it swelled up like never before - it must have found it quite scrumptious! The Nassarius & crabs all came running to enjoy the leftovers.
Old 12/23/2007, 12:15 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stephensturman

Gigs~ do u have the mesh wheel mod? if not then do it and it will increase 10 fold. [/B]
Ummm I thought I knew about every RSM mod but mesh wheel mod? I have searched but cannot find... Can you please explain or link me...

MB update after new valve...

- Seems to have reduced MB about 10 - 20% maybe a bit early to tell yet but any reduction for 80 cents has got my vote
- Skimmate is about the same as stock
Old 12/23/2007, 12:59 AM
Registered Member

Martinphillip03 & Reefmack.... It's really not my intent to begin a new thread! Reefmack has already established an RSM owners thread (forum) that's enormously popular and very well visited and posted!
I'm still trying to catch up!

Martinphillip03 - I am more than willing to share ANYTHING I LEARN with all of you! The RSM pedestal I am constructing is OVER ENGINEERED LOL! I have taken the 'Hellen Keller' approach in it's design. Reefmack was first to question my design & intent. Many thanks to him for questioning & making me justify my plan...

I am here because you all are willing to do the same!!! After all isn't the purpose of this forum to share are successes and warn all against potential disasters? As I am in the habit of doing, I have a general idea and then modify/improve (hopefully) as I go along! At my age and with my previous experience with FO marine tanks it can become VERY expensive if you make a mistake..... I am not in a big rush to reach the goal line!

Finally - Reefmack, I was trying to upload photos to my gallery which need to be >50KB. I know you will know this as a 'computer guru'! Whats the pixel x pixel size that is equal to or less than 50KB for upload?

You all are Great!
Thanks,
Kent
Old 12/23/2007, 08:32 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Patio
Is there anything I can do to make my skimmer run a lot more wet? I was thinking about just shaving down the overflow piece of plastic to my likings but I thought I would ask if any of you have come up with something better.

Thanks,

Patio, I am using a wood air stone inside the open bottom part of the skimmer body. Super easy to install and for me I now get a very wet skimmate, with a green tea color. Way better then the stock skimmer. I am just using an air pump I had laying around. There are some quality air pumps out there that allow you to adjust the amount of air produced. I think if you played with that you might even get a better ( wetter) skim? Give it a try only cost about $5 for the stone just need some tubing and a pump!

Pat
Old 12/23/2007, 09:05 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefmack
A new reefkeeping term - the Sturman position!
hahaha i like it!

gigs- take some mesh and tie it around the needle wheel. but make sure not to use anything with chemicals that can harm the tank. here is the page of this long thread it is on.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=3
Old 12/23/2007, 09:08 AM
Genuine reef addict

gigs - I think the mesh mods a few of us were trying may be way back in the 1st part of this thread. Here are a couple of pics to explain them. The first shows how the impeller pieces separate. Different materials were tried & 2 examples are shown. The green one is a sliced off piece of (unused) kitchen scrubby material. The black one was a piece of thin filter material. Both seemed to have a lot of promise in creating a ton of small bubbles and even a fine mist in the skimmer cup. But at that time it didn't seem to improve foam going into the cup. But, maybe with a better air valve it would. You have to cut the mesh to the size of the impeller, then possibly cut holes for the impeller prongs if you can't force the material over them. then stitch it on with fishing line in a manner that it won't impede the impeller from turning freely.

Kent - if/when you're ready, and don't want a separate thread, feel free to start posting in here at any time. On the Pixel sizes I don't have a good way tio tell you - you'll obviously need picture editing software, but it's always been trial and error with me trying to reach a certain pizel size, even just to create an avatar. Since the allowable size of RC gallery pics is so small as to to make them semi-useless, most use something like photobucket (free service) to post images. Photobucket pages have changed a bit since this RC post, but the process is the same. This RC link will give directions on how to upload pics to Photobucket, and how to use it to post pics in a post:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=531326

I hope that helps. Do the free sign up & try posting one or two to try it out. If the pics you upload to Photobucket are very large file sizes, photobucket has options to reduce the file size for you after you upload to their site. I doubt you'll want to post anything bigger than 640 x whatever, or 800 x whatever, as it make the pictures too large to see in a post without scrolling.

Terry

Last edited by Reefmack; 12/23/2007 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12/23/2007, 09:09 AM
Registered Member

hodge- im glad that the sturman position works for u. it implroved the flow to where it circles in my tank. i have all the powerheads pointed towards the glass and now if i put something in there i can literally watch it go around in circles from the top to the bottom of the tank.
Old 12/23/2007, 09:12 AM
Registered Member

gigs- i used a small piece of filter for a pool because it isn't such fine mesh. then i pushed it on and tied it to the wheel with fishing line through the holes so there is no way it can come off.