Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/21/2006, 06:58 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Hey all,

How many of you are using pH probes to constantly monitor your pH? I'd like to get an accurate one, hopefully reasonably priced too, but accurate is the key. I'm tired of not knowing if my pH is 8.0, 8.1, 8.2, 8.3 or 8.4 (Hard for me to guage Salifert test kit).

Brian
Old 01/21/2006, 07:01 PM
Registered Member

We have been using the Pinpoint PH probe for some time now. I really like it as I can sit on the couch, reach over and open the sump door and see what the PH currently is. If it's too low, I tell Brett he needs to DO something about it!!!
Old 01/21/2006, 07:15 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Is the pinpoint pH probe able to be plugged into one of those controller dohickies, or is it stand alone? Not that I WANT to get a controller, but I just thought I should think ahead and if I had a calcium reactor someday it would be nice if I could use the pinpoint to monitor the pH and shut off the calcium reactor if needed.

B.
Old 01/21/2006, 07:49 PM
Premium Member

I use the Pinpoint Ph probe and monitor also. I have never had any problems with it.
Old 01/21/2006, 08:26 PM
Registered Member

I dunno if it can be plugged into a dohicky. It would be nice if it could, then, down the road, when we get enough money, we could get one of those thingamabobs that attach to those dohickies and run all of our whatchamacallits with it!!!

Seriously, I have been telling Brett for ages that I'd really love to find a unit that measures, temp, salinity, nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, pH, silicates, ph and anything else we need to measure with one probe. Think how awesome and convenient that would be!!!

Now, if someone would kindly invent one of them...and then invent a dosing meter that would automatically adjust all of the above.........darn!! am I lazy or what?????
Old 01/21/2006, 08:36 PM
Premium Member

I have a Milwaukee PH Controller/Probe. I think I paid $90 for it. I've been very happy with it.
Old 01/21/2006, 08:37 PM
Premium Member

I have a pinpoint PH also. I purchased mine here

I was thinking of a calcium monitor next instead of constantly using the salifert test kit.
Old 01/21/2006, 08:38 PM
Premium Member

So these probes stay in the water at all times? We have this little thing that we stick in the water to get the pH reading. What's it called.....a pH stick or pen?
Old 01/21/2006, 08:42 PM
Registered Member

Our ph monitor stays in all the time. Phil, we have been thinking of getting the calcium monitor but heard they were not reliable as yet. Let us know how you like it once you get one.
Old 01/21/2006, 09:08 PM
Premium Member

After having this TBS package for awhile now. Do you guys like their live sand better or wish you had used finer sand as sand bed?

And whats the thoughts of their rocks after a year now?

Thanks
Old 01/21/2006, 10:29 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CirolanidHunter
Hey all,

How many of you are using pH probes to constantly monitor your pH? I'd like to get an accurate one, hopefully reasonably priced too, but accurate is the key. I'm tired of not knowing if my pH is 8.0, 8.1, 8.2, 8.3 or 8.4 (Hard for me to guage Salifert test kit).

Brian
I also have a pinpoint pH monitor, which I love! Has anyone here bought the calcium one? I've been thinking about splurging on one of those?

Has anyone noticed my self-control lately? I haven't bought a coral in MONTHS.....(it's slowly killing me )

Quote:
Originally posted by lunner
After having this TBS package for awhile now. Do you guys like their live sand better or wish you had used finer sand as sand bed?

Thanks
All in all, I'm very happy with my TBS rocks. The shapes are wonderful, the colors (initially & now) amazing....to me the main draw back is the hitchhikers. I still have quite a few gorilla crabs in the tank, which I would love to get rid of. I would prefer finer sand but I don't really mind the TBS sand....plus I mixed in about 45 lbs of sugar-fine sand with my TBS stuff.

If I had to do it all again, I would probably get the TBS again but possibly a smaller package size. I have a 72g bow and got a 70g package and having a bit less rock might be nice, of course if I ever get my sump set-up I can stash some in there.
Old 01/21/2006, 10:38 PM
Premium Member

I just read in another thread that the calcium monitor is not worth the money yet. Too much calibrating and it can't/shouldn't be left in the water. No personal experience with it though. Might need to spend that money somewhere else.
Old 01/22/2006, 12:01 AM
Invertebrate Advocate

Quote:

Thanks
Well, I've only had my rocks for seven months, but I'm still very happy with them. I prefer the TBS rock MUCH more than the "other" florida rock I got. TBS is lighter and has much better shapes.

I was very annoyed with the Cirolanid Isopods I got, but if I had developed my cool trap earlier I would have been rid of them MUCH faster. But then I wouldn't have this cool nickname and avatar right? (EDIT: FWIW, I got the majority, if not all, of my Cirolanids from the "other" rock, not TBS)

The gorilla crabs are annoying, but the rest of the stuff is pretty cool. I've got Christmas tree worms, brain corals, tube corals, cup corals, some sponges, a few tunicates hanging on, horseshoe worms, bunches of feather dusters, clams, etc etc

I will say the clams, a lot of sponges, and most tunicates didn't last. I think my brain corals are AWESOME and combined with the other hitchhikers it was well worth it (after developing the Cirolanid trap that is, didn't feel like it DURING the Cirolanid explosion).

Brian

Thanks for the input on pH controllers everyone! I found the Milwaukee one online, I'm going to research that more as it can also be hooked up to a Ca rx in the future.
Old 01/22/2006, 01:54 AM
Premium Member

I cant wait to post some pictures of my tank here with my tbs rocks! Unofrtunetly the storm fronts keep coming through and stirring up the sediments there so they havent eben able to dvie for like 2.5 months or close to that =(

Anyways, reading this thread everyday helps me through this tough time of being ridiculed by friends, lol. Every time someone comes over they make fun of me for my rediculously expensive water holder. lol, but this thread reminds me why its worth the wait. Keep posting pics please! =)

Peace
Old 01/22/2006, 08:11 AM
Registered Member

I agree with everything that Danielle said about the TBS package. I could not imagine starting with bare rocks with no life on them!! Even now, 9 months later, I see something new popping out all the time. New feather dusters here, new sponges over there, new plants on that rock, and, unfortunately, another darn gorilla crab last night!!!!! Grrrrrrrr!!!!
Old 01/22/2006, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

i have the pinpoint ph, i really like it. i just move the probe between the 3 tanks. i see the new reefkeeper has a ph probe option. 10 months into my first tbs package, i still love it. most all of my life is still with me. the only drawback with the package is theres not a lot of room for corals with 2 lbs per gallon of rock and the anomenes outgrow the tanks
Old 01/23/2006, 08:40 AM
Registered Member

this morning i realize i have 2 large pistol shrimp in my 75.one of them has made a home in a hole in the rock right next to the sun coral and he comes out when i feed it to get his share!
Old 01/23/2006, 09:03 AM
Registered Member

How awesome!!! The most we get to see ours is when we feed the tank, we put a piece of silverside outside his entrance. We might see the tip of his claw reaching out to pull the fish in, but generally, somehow or other, he sucks the fish down into his den without us seeing a bit of him!!

Last night I was checking out the tank after lights out. Much to my shock I find we have two more tiny gorilla crabs, two tiny mithrax crabs and a porcelin crab!!! Sheesh!! I thought Harely ate all the tiny crabs but these must be smarter than he is!!
Old 01/23/2006, 09:29 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bobt2
this morning i realize i have 2 large pistol shrimp in my 75.one of them has made a home in a hole in the rock right next to the sun coral and he comes out when i feed it to get his share!
2 of the big orange ones?
Old 01/23/2006, 12:18 PM
Registered Member

yes pat, orange. one was looking out his hole and the other was walking on the sand between 2 rocks. this was before tank lights on with just room light
Old 01/23/2006, 02:51 PM
Premium Member

For a 55gal long, is a 34 gal package enough?

Thanks
Old 01/23/2006, 03:00 PM
Registered Member

I would say yes. Personally, if we had to do it over again, I would probably put a bit less rock in the tank to make more of an open area in the front. I still love the way our tank looks, but I have seen other arrangements now that I think would have looked just as nice in our tank. I'd suggest going to the photo gallery and looking at whole tank shots to see what you might want to accomplish in your tank before ordering.
Old 01/23/2006, 03:04 PM
Premium Member

Quote:

Thanks
I would say yes. You can always add extra sand if you want and oftentimes corals you purchase (after cycling) come attached to a rock.
Old 01/23/2006, 08:37 PM
Premium Member

Quote:

Thanks
Personally I went with the 35 package (your choices are 30, 35, 37, 40).

I'm pretty sure they shipped me more than that.

What kind of tank is that? a standard 55 is 48x13x20. You will find that because of the narrow shape of the tank (assuming yours is also four feet) aquascaping isn't easy with the rocks.

I like my rock but I wish the rock were lighter. If you do happen to get a mantis - (I got five) - they are not "the end of the world" - as long as you are okay with an invert getting whacked once in a while. They are quite intelligent and I found no lack of individuals wanting to take/buy the critters off my hands. The cirolanids on the other hand are really gross (sorry I'm not fond of things that attach to my fish).

While the number of hermits might work for other tanks - personally I found I had entirely too many (on top of the fact that they gave so many freebies).

Overall my experience has been overwhelmly positive even with my note above. Good luck!
Old 01/24/2006, 12:23 AM
Premium Member

Yeah, mine is 48x13x20 also. Do you have pic of your 55gal?

Thanks